Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Bean

joeb

This guy looks better than Ehlinger in my opinion. Also while I'm comparing , our kicker from Notre Dame looked quite good also. Matt Gay may turn out to be a problem. He's been very erratic.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, joeb said:

This guy looks better than Ehlinger in my opinion. Also while I'm comparing , our kicker from Notre Dame looked quite good also. Matt Gay may turn out to be a problem. He's been very erratic.

I agree with both. Bean has more upside than Sam and the ND kicker looks good. It will be interesting because Ballard is from Texas but his son played QB at Kansas ( where Bean played) Ballard has ties to both.

Sadly , Gays contract may be the deciding factor to not cut him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I agree with both. Bean has more upside than Sam and the ND kicker looks good. It will be interesting because Ballard is from Texas but his son played QB at Kansas ( where Bean played) Ballard has ties to both.

Sadly , Gays contract may be the deciding factor to not cut him.

Did Leonard have a big contract when he was cut?  I don't remember the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I will say this - If a certain fellow, formerly of New England were our GM/HC, both Gay and Ehlinger would be gone - contracts be hanged.

Gay has done nothing to lose his job.  Missing field goals with a rookie holder against the Cardinals won’t jeopardize his job.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Gay has done nothing to lose his job.  Missing field goals with a rookie holder against the Cardinals won’t jeopardize his job.

Maybe - but he was more than a bit shaky last season.  Injured some though.

FWIW…..    beyond that fact that Gay played thru injury last year….

Not sure if many here know that in Gay’s 8 misses, 4 hit the upright, 2 hit the cross bar.  6 out of the 8 missed by a matter of INCHES.   Literally inches.  

I read this recently.  Offered as help for those concerned about our kicker. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure if many here know that in Gay’s 8 misses, 4 hit the upright, 2 hit the cross bar.  6 out of the 8 missed by a matter of INCHES.   Literally inches.  

But the old axiom may apply — “a miss is as good a mile.”

39 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

But the old axiom may apply — “a miss is as good a mile.”

For a fan, maybe.   

But I think, I hope, it doesn’t apply to a team deciding the future of a player. 

I don’t believe this is Rod Blankenship 2.0

Great topic

The reality is that as we sit today. Sam E is better than Bean

But..... Bean has MORE potential

If Sam E was QB1 or QB2, you wouldnt make this move

But I agree......  Give Sam E an oppty to catch on with another team

We already have QB2 on the roster

Maybe Bean will be good enough to be QB2 in 2025 or 2026

The kicker position is tough

Gay literally won the Ravens game last year for us

I dont think the time is yet to go with a rookie K

3 hours ago, joeb said:

I think he is better than Sam, but Ballard loves Sam, I bet Sam makes the team.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

And the majority were over 50 yards. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great topic

The reality is that as we sit today. Sam E is better than Bean

But..... Bean has MORE potential

If Sam E was QB1 or QB2, you wouldnt make this move

But I agree......  Give Sam E an oppty to catch on with another team

We already have QB2 on the roster

Maybe Bean will be good enough to be QB2 in 2025 or 2026

The kicker position is tough

Gay literally won the Ravens game last year for us

I dont think the time is yet to go with a rookie K

He was money in the Ravens game.  I thought “this guy is a steal, even at the price the Colts paid.”  

• Like 1

Time to let Sam walk. He will need a new contract after this year; most likely in the one to two million range annually. Currently he makes $902.000. He likely will never see the field outside of an emergency situation. 

I like Bean because I believe he will be a better multi-dimensional practice QB to prepare the Colts defense for Sunday's. He also has the versatility to lineup as an emergency wideout.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For a fan, maybe.   

But I think, I hope, it doesn’t apply to a team deciding the future of a player. 

I don’t believe this is Rod Blankenship 2.0

The situation with Blankenship was magnified by Ballard’s insistence on hanging on to Vinatieri too long, despite it having gotten progressively more obvious that he was no longer reliable.

Ballard seemed like the last guy to figure that out - probably in large part because of a sense of loyalty or deference to Vinny.

I’m not ready to shut the door on Matt Gay (although I do think he’s underperformed his contract).  But I’m sure Shrader will get a shot somewhere.  And it’s at least possible we’ll look back on a decision to stick with Gay as a mistake.

6 hours ago, joeb said:

They said he has played wide receiver as well. I agree he is a keeper.

From what I saw last night Sam E. had a tough night. His passes were off quite a bit. Bean is the way to go. As for the kicker , this guy was spot on. They should try and hold on to him in case Matt Gay falls apart. I know he was hurt last season. But I am concerned. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Missing is missing… whether it is a quarter inch or a mile, it’s still the same result, a miss

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Missing is missing… whether it is a quarter inch or a mile, it’s still the same result, a miss

Seriously?     I’m beyond stunned. 

There is literally no part of your comment I would agree with.   This is football, not the military. 

Context of a situation is everything. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is literally no part of your comment I would agree with.   This is football, not the military. 

Gay’s job is safe for now. But he has to kick better this year. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that….. whether or not the misses are/were close. He had a solid track record prior to last year. I’ll hang my hat on that and expect a more  traditional (i.e better) year from Gay. 

• Like 2

Of course.  I think we all know he was talking about the scoreboard....  I agree with you however, as someone who played kicker many many years ago.... Gay isn't damaged goods as an NFL kicker when he's hitting uprights 65% of his misses from 52+ yards out....

• Thanks 1

Umm this has nothing to do with military.

football is often said to be a game of inches.

do you recall Mike Vanderjagt? He was money until he wasn’t. Then he started shanking kicks by mere inches, from normal “easy” kicking range. 

Adam V, the best kicker of all time, same thing. He barely was missing but he was still missing.

What do you get when you kick and make a FG? 3 points right?

What do you get when you miss a FG attempt by 10 yards?  0 points right?

What do you get when you miss a FG attempt by 1 inch? 0 points right?

therefore, yes, a miss is a miss, whether by 1/4 inch or by a 1/4 mile, the end result is still the same. A miss. You either make the kick or you don’t. 

27 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Of course.  I think we all know he was talking about the scoreboard....  I agree with you however, as someone who played kicker many many years ago.... Gay isn't damaged goods as an NFL kicker when he's hitting uprights 65% of his misses from 52+ yards out....

Maybe. He’s been shaky ever since last fall if you look at his numbers. I’m not saying he needs cut,  I think he still has a chance to recover. I’m just saying that this notion that a kicker’s missed FG is somehow less of a miss based on how close he missed, is greatly flawed. If it becomes a routine problem, then it’s time for a new kicker. We’re not there yet but it’s something to be mindful of

34 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Umm this has nothing to do with military.

football is often said to be a game of inches.

do you recall Mike Vanderjagt? He was money until he wasn’t. Then he started shanking kicks by mere inches, from normal “easy” kicking range. 

Adam V, the best kicker of all time, same thing. He barely was missing but he was still missing.

What do you get when you kick and make a FG? 3 points right?

What do you get when you miss a FG attempt by 10 yards?  0 points right?

What do you get when you miss a FG attempt by 1 inch? 0 points right?

therefore, yes, a miss is a miss, whether by 1/4 inch or by a 1/4 mile, the end result is still the same. A miss. You either make the kick or you don’t. 

Poppycock.   This isn’t even hard to make my point.   After the Colts 2nd PS Game, I guess Gay had missed two kicks.   In the post-game one of the first questions Steichen took was about how worried he was about Gay.  

He quickly stated not at all.  That the regular holder, Sanchez, was away as his wife was having a baby.  Then he said the backup holder for the game was inexperienced.  So Steichen basically cleared his kicker.   If the head coach is good, so am I.  

I repeat, context is important.   Missed kicks are not created equal. 

The Colts have made it clear they are committed to Gay and aren’t worried about him.  He will cost 10 million to release.  They aren’t cutting him until he becomes a problem is regular season games.  They also aren’t cutting him for a rookie who has hit two field goals in his NFL pre-season career right now.

it’s fine to disagree with the Colts opinion and to state it but to honestly expect them to do something different is ignoring reality.  Also going thread to thread derailing them because you don’t like what the Colts are doing isn’t needed.  This type of posting is starting to run off good posters.  This isn’t targeted at anyone poster as several are doing it.  Just general encouragement to try to keep threads on topic.  Also before someone says who am I to police the forum I am not one and I don’t have the power to police the forum.  I am just a long time poster trying to make a suggestion to make this place enjoyable for everyone.  If that upsets you or offends you rest assured there is nothing I can do about your posting.  

This thread is supposed to be about Josh Bean.  let’s get it back there.  I really like the kid but without news of his shoulder injury I don’t think you can say Sam has to be cut for him.  I think there is a real chance they stash Bean on IR and keep Sam to finish out his contract.  

10 hours ago, joeb said:

Sam has the upper hand imo he has a year under his belt in the offense. So he can run the offense without having to dumb it down.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It offers zero help to me…if you miss the end zone by inches you also get the same result…0 points…so yea, make the kicks already. The days of Mr automatic Vinny I get are gone but dudes gonna cost us games.