Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woods injured(again)

csmopar

Just now, csmopar said:

That’s not PUP, pup starts prior to camp. It’s IR for Woods or injured waived 

PUP to start the season is 6 games. Short-term IR is 4 games 

Just now, CR91 said:

PUP to start the season is 6 games. Short-term IR is 4 games 

But you have to be on the PUP at the start of camp to go onto regular season PUP.

IR or injured waived are the only options per the CBA

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I am thinking he will be headed to IR.

Yeah, it’s his only option really. 

regardless, he’s out for at least the first 7 games now. 4 games before he can practice, then 3 weeks to practice before he has to be elevated or returned to IR, my guess barring injury to TEs, he’ll remain on IR all season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But you have to be on the PUP at the start of camp to go onto regular season PUP.

IR or injured waived are the only options per the CBA

He's not making it back in 4 games after having toe surgery. That's atleast 6

On 8/18/2024 at 6:15 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

I say this without a complete understanding how the TE position will be used with AR in the Steichen offense. I feel the team is seeing what they have and it’s looking like nothing great but not bad either. Will probably utilize whoever is available but none of these guys will likely be game changers. They will serve their role and there is value in that. Big plays will come from WR, RB and the QBs legs with a few clutch type plays a game coming from the TE position. 

If you want to put him on IR and bring him back later, he first must make the final 53.  After a day or two (can’t remember the timeframe, but it’s before Game 1) you can move him to IR and refill that 53rd roster spot.

• Like 1

I think he’s going to get cut tbh. The best ability is availability. Even if he goes to PUP or IR, that would mean they’d eventually have to activate him to the 53 and either carry 5 TEs or wave one, which I don’t see happening. 

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He's not making it back in 4 games after having toe surgery. That's atleast 6

Not saying he will. 

I’m saying the post you’re saying he’ll be on can’t happen per the rules. He’s definitely going to be on IR, it’s his only option besides an injury waiver, when he comes back is irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he’s going to get cut tbh. The best ability is availability. Even if he goes to PUP or IR, that would mean they’d eventually have to activate him to the 53 and either carry 5 TEs or wave one, which I don’t see happening. 

He can stay IR all year long

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think they’ll give him the same respect they gave Shaq and give him a chance to get on somewhere else if anything.

CBA rules, you can’t cut or trade Injured players. It’s IR for Woods until the off season

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

CBA rules, you can’t cut or trade Injured players. It’s IR for Woods until the off season

They can release him with an injury designation, and then it gets a little complicated with regard to his pay and benefits, but the Colts would gain the roster spot. I don't think they'd go this route.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

They can release him with an injury designation, and then it gets a little complicated with regard to his pay and benefits, but the Colts would gain the roster spot. I don't think they'd go this route.

Yeah the injured waived thing. I was just saying they can’t straight up cut him like they did Leonard. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If they have the opportunity to IR him I think they will. Keeping him in their back pocket for later in the season in case other injuries happen is smart.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It just depends how bad it is. If they think he would be ready by say week two they might cut him so he has a chance to catch on with another team.

With  the injury settlements I think there is a process before they have to go through before they can sign back with the team they are released from.

Doubtful

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It just depends how bad it is. If they think he would be ready by say week two they might cut him so he has a chance to catch on with another team.

With  the injury settlements I think there is a process before they have to go through before they can sign back with the team they are released from.

Plus they can’t straight up cut him, they have to injury waive him which requires players agreeing and then Woods has to sit out a few games and pass physicals . Not gonna happen

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Woods goes to injury list and misses at least 6 games of the regular season.  And the Colts will figure things out from there.  

Fortunately for the Colts it’s one of the deepest positions on the roster. Also those that wanted Mo gone well he’s not going anywhere lol.

• Like 2

Some of you may remember Dave Ahrens, he was a linebacker for the colts in the 80’s. He got turf toe real bad and elected to have the toe removed so he could continue playing. Always told kids it got bit off by a shark lol

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Fortunately for the Colts it’s one of the deepest positions on the roster. Also those that wanted Mo gone well he’s not going anywhere lol.

Not at this point... I still don't think he brings much to the table, but the team obviously disagrees.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, twfish said:

Some of you may remember Dave Ahrens, he was a linebacker for the colts in the 80’s. He got turf toe real bad and elected to have the toe removed so he could continue playing. Always told kids it got bit off by a shark lol

Does he get discounts when he gets pedicures lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not at this point... I still don't think he brings much to the table, but the team obviously disagrees.

Well Mo along with Ogletree are the best blockers but I agree he’s too inconsistent with the tools he has should be more productive.

8 hours ago, Archer said:

If you want to put him on IR and bring him back later, he first must make the final 53.  After a day or two (can’t remember the timeframe, but it’s before Game 1) you can move him to IR and refill that 53rd roster spot.

This is the key the point.  

If Colts put him on IR now he can’t play for the colts this season.

If colts want to try and use short term IR, Woods has to be on the initial 53 man roster. Immediately after that they can put him on IR and add another player thru waivers the next day. 

This is exactly what they did with him last year. He made the 53 man roster and then put him on IR with hopes of bringing him back (which of course never happened). 

• Thanks 1

Meh I think it’s pretty fair to say it’s just time to move on from the guy. I have no clue what will happen with him but I mean he has missed far more time than he’s played…in this league the players are needed on the field as someone mentioned before with availability. It would suck if he blossomed next year somewhere else but at the same time it is what it is. Just like when we traded Jerry Hughes who by all accounts seemed to be a bust here and then was a stud for the Bills..sometimes players fit better somewhere else. Not the same situation with Hughes and woods, just saying it would suck if he caught on and did well somewhere else 

6 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Meh I think it’s pretty fair to say it’s just time to move on from the guy. I have no clue what will happen with him but I mean he has missed far more time than he’s played…in this league the players are needed on the field as someone mentioned before with availability. It would suck if he blossomed next year somewhere else but at the same time it is what it is. Just like when we traded Jerry Hughes who by all accounts seemed to be a bust here and then was a stud for the Bills..sometimes players fit better somewhere else. Not the same situation with Hughes and woods, just saying it would suck if he caught on and did well somewhere else 

Really no reason to cut him.   

Very disappointing, as I had high hopes he would (re)emerge as a potential stud TE.  At this point, I hope he’s IR’d for the year and ca come back next year for one last shot to turn all that potential into productivity.

15 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

This is the key the point.  

If Colts put him on IR now he can’t play for the colts this season.

If colts want to try and use short term IR, Woods has to be on the initial 53 man roster. Immediately after that they can put him on IR and add another player thru waivers the next day. 

This is exactly what they did with him last year. He made the 53 man roster and then put him on IR with hopes of bringing him back (which of course never happened). 

Didn’t realize an IR rule change for 2024. This would be huge an allow Colts to keep Woods. 

I’m trying to verify

“In plain words, the new rule allows teams the ability to place two players on injured reserve at the roster cutdown deadline to return during the season. That has not been the case in the past with the NFL; if a player went on injured reserve before the active 53-man roster is set, he was out for the season”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, Superman said:

I think Granson is fully an F, and someone like MAC is fully a Y (and I don't think he's very good at the things that make Ys so valuable; everyone talks about him as a good blocker, and I think he's maybe average). Everyone else is kind of on a spectrum. Mallory is more F than Y, Ogletree is more Y than F, but there are shared traits and responsibilities that they'll be expected to hold on gameday.

My point is that they could have viewed Woods as a Y, but they clearly saw him as a guy with a lot of potential as a receiving threat. I don't think they viewed him as a guy who was more of a blocker (like he was at OK State) than a receiver (like he was at Virginia). I know I didn't. 

If I were in charge, it would be Ogletree/Woods at Y, Granson/Mallory at F, and MAC would be gone. But using Woods in a movement role and looking for mismatches makes sense to me. 

Woods had a couple of Great blocks last game. We were in a situation where we were almost looking for one of our 5 to stub a toe so we could put one on short term IR. 

It's year 3 for Woods, just about the time to be getting good. He can still be a very good player, even this season.

Keep Woods on the roster so this is his last chance to prove himself.  Put on the IR until he heals. I think Granson, Mallory and Mo-Allie is good enough this year. If we can pick up an experienced and solid TE is a good option.