Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to Beat the Texans (and every other team)

Smonroe

Okay, I know this is a Mr. Obvious post, but bear with me.  What else do you have to do during the dead season, lol?

As a Buckeye, I appreciate how good CJ Stroud is.  In MHO CJ had better WRs and RBs when he was at THE OSU than he has in Houston.

So how did TTUN beat us (bad) two years in a row when he was in Columbus?  Simple, their Offense was way better than our Defense.

Bottom line - the Colts D doesn't have to be great.  Average will be good enough - IF the Colts offense is as good as we think it could be and play ball control, has extended drives, and limits the other teams possessions.  And maybe that's the plan considering Ballard not being too concerned with improving the DB rooms.

(Sure, it would be nice to have a great D.  No argument there)

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Score more points than them.  D’uh :D

Sure, but I know you're smart enough to get the gist of this post - a potent offense is more important than a good defense.  

Today's NFL favors the O in the rule book and encourages scoring.  D's have to hang in there and most play it safe.

Of course, it's simple, of course it's not easy to have an elite O, and of course it doesn't always lead to wins.  But, in my opinion, it's the way a GM should build a team.  (Yes, I know about the Manning years.  That's another conversation)

• Like 2

Pass rush.  

That is the key.  Control the line.  Make him make plays.  Make him uncomfortable.  Hey, if he Stroud beats us with his talent and we’re making him complete these great plays, then chalk it up to the game.  But we can’t allow him (and any other qb) to be comfortable and pick us apart.  

I hope we see our front 4 provide that pressure because that will make everything else much easier.  I honestly believe we have the corners for our scheme in Moore, Brents, and jones.  But we don’t have the pressure.  Or the FS unfortunately.  Our corners jobs in this scheme isn’t to run step for step with wide receivers.  It’s to stick with them and prevent YAC.  Moore is the best nickel in the game, Jones was one of the best corners PERIOD in preventing YAC, and I think a healthy Brents will be good too.

• Like 3

Ballard has been saying it for years that the trenches are where it’s at. Doesn’t matter what era of football has been around, you control the line of scrimmage and you control the game. He has accomplished it on the O side of the ball but has tried for years to get a DL that can do the same. I think we will see it come together this year and into the next two. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Sure, but I know you're smart enough to get the gist of this post - a potent offense is more important than a good defense.  

Today's NFL favors the O in the rule book and encourages scoring.  D's have to hang in there and most play it safe.

Of course, it's simple, of course it's not easy to have an elite O, and of course it doesn't always lead to wins.  But, in my opinion, it's the way a GM should build a team.  (Yes, I know about the Manning years.  That's another conversation)

I wasn’t being serious.  That’s why I included the smiley face at the end.

The real trick is to frustrate Stroud. Our past rush, has to be dynamic both inside and outside. If this takes place our defensive backs will have an easier time. That’s a big if though. Ballard has drafted heavily on the D line and even though we had good sack numbers the pass rush pressure was not good. We let QB’s take us apart and until we solve that going through the playoffs and playing well will not happen 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wasn’t being serious.  That’s why I included the smiley face at the end.

So we can win without scoring more points?  Now I'm confused! :thmup:

I’ll say this about defense. It’s absolutely necessary to usually make a run in the playoffs. 

Chiefs last Super Bowl win was thanks to some clutch play by their defense. 

The Rams defense saved the day by sacking Burrow at the last minute, giving Stafford his first win. 

Both Giants wins against Brady had clutch moments by the defense holding Brady to low scores. 

Peyton’s final Super Bowl… all defense. 

Seattle’s Legion of Boom painfully wrecking the Broncos dream run… 

To really make a Super Bowl winning combination, you need:

A franchise QB. An elite head coach. A strong defense. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, I know this is a Mr. Obvious post, but bear with me.  What else do you have to do during the dead season, lol?

As a Buckeye, I appreciate how good CJ Stroud is.  In MHO CJ had better WRs and RBs when he was at THE OSU than he has in Houston.

So how did TTUN beat us (bad) two years in a row when he was in Columbus?  Simple, their Offense was way better than our Defense.

Bottom line - the Colts D doesn't have to be great.  Average will be good enough - IF the Colts offense is as good as we think it could be and play ball control, has extended drives, and limits the other teams possessions.  And maybe that's the plan considering Ballard not being too concerned with improving the DB rooms.

How bout this? Draft better and u build a play off caliber team. Ain't rocket science. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I’ll say this about defense. It’s absolutely necessary to usually make a run in the playoffs. 

Chiefs last Super Bowl win was thanks to some clutch play by their defense. 

The Rams defense saved the day by sacking Burrow at the last minute, giving Stafford his first win. 

Both Giants wins against Brady had clutch moments by the defense holding Brady to low scores. 

Peyton’s final Super Bowl… all defense. 

Seattle’s Legion of Boom painfully wrecking the Broncos dream run… 

To really make a Super Bowl winning combination, you need:

A franchise QB. An elite head coach. A strong defense. 

Again, I’m not saying a good D isn’t needed…well, maybe I am….  But what I’m really saying is that with a great Offensive you can win with an average Defense.

And, as to your point, I think all the teams that lost in those games you mentioned all had very good defenses.  

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Im trying to make sure I understand you.   

You don’t think Ballard is actually trying to build only an average defense, do you?   

He’s trying to build as good of a defense as he can.    Are we on the same page, or am I misunderstanding you?  

The Jets completely shut down CJ Stroud last year. Their defense is elite, and they had 3 of the top CBs in the league. Pass rush and secondary is how you shut him down. We have the former. I'll be curious how the latter does for us this year.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t think Ballard is actually trying to build only an average defense, do you?   

He’s trying to build as good of a defense as he can.    Are we on the same page, or am I misunderstanding you?  

I believe he knows that offense is more important than defense.  And that an offense that controls the ball keeps our average defense rested.

I really can’t answer your second sentence until camp.  So let me ask you, as of right now isn’t Ballard saying there are no FA DBs (depth or starting safety) that we can afford who are better than what we have?   If he doesn’t bring someone is, that’s his stance, right?

The logic is that our O will put up enough that we can get by with an average D, IMHO.

Like I said, I’m being Mr. Obvious.  

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I believe he knows that offense is more important than defense.  And that an offense that controls the ball keeps our average defense rested.

I really can’t answer your second sentence until camp.  So let me ask you, as of right now isn’t Ballard saying there are no FA DBs (depth or starting safety) that we can afford who are better than what we have?   If he doesn’t bring someone is, that’s his stance, right?

The logic is that our O will put up enough that we can get by with an average D, IMHO.

I think the Colts have the money to be competitive for a good free agent safety.  I think bringing in one of them may depend on whether a player like Simmons wants to play for the Colts.  They may be hoping to sign for a team with a better chance of making the playoffs.   So I don’t know if Ballard is making a statement or not?  

Hope my answer makes sense to you….  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the Colts have the money to be competitive for a good free agent safety.  I think bringing in one of them may depend on whether a player like Simmons wants to play for the Colts.  They may be hoping to sign for a team with a better chance of making the playoffs.   So I don’t know if Ballard is making a statement or not?  

Hope my answer makes sense to you….  

This is definitely an issue. So, either Ballard is A.) Cheap and he doesn't want to spend money on FAs (even with injuries happening) or B.) He can't build a competitive enough team to attract any worthwhile FA's after 7 going on 8 years now. 

If AR and the current team can't attract FAs that could theoretically get a starting job at the S position for a year, then we are in big trouble according to the opinions of the players of the NFL. Personally, I think Ballard just avoids FA so much that he doesn't want to bring outside help in. He wants to be known as the GM who builds his team from the draft.

Wish the local media would call him out on this.

• Like 1

Offense wins in the league now and to take it a step further the QB is by far the lost important piece on any team. 

So, on offense you need the best possible QB with the best possible supporting cast and on defense you need players who can affect the play of the opposing QBs directly. 

• Like 2

When did the Texans get good enough for us to be talking about "How To". You would think we were talking about the Brady Patriots or something. Like they got us stumped or something. 

• Like 2

Balanced offense that keeps defenses on their heels, winning time of possession and field position battle, finishing drives with points, and especially touchdowns. Defense that limits big plays, wins the turnover battle, and brings pressure up front. Those concepts wins games. If you are playing with a lead late, being able to run the ball and shorten the game/bring pressure on defense is massive. If you are playing catchup, having an explosive offense and a defense that can force three and outs/turnovers is massive. You want all of the above to consistently win in this league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

This is definitely an issue. So, either Ballard is A.) Cheap and he doesn't want to spend money on FAs (even with injuries happening) or B.) He can't build a competitive enough team to attract any worthwhile FA's after 7 going on 8 years now. 

If AR and the current team can't attract FAs that could theoretically get a starting job at the S position for a year, then we are in big trouble according to the opinions of the players of the NFL. Personally, I think Ballard just avoids FA so much that he doesn't want to bring outside help in. He wants to be known as the GM who builds his team from the draft.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, krunk said:

When did the Texans get good enough for us to be talking about "How To". You would think we were talking about the Brady Patriots or something. Like they got us stumped or something. 

I agree, and the Jags are surely taking offense.  

I started this thread because I’m a Buckeye and as I said, CJ had better WRs and RBs in college than he has now.  Yet TTUN beat us two years in a row.  So we should be able to beat Houston basically using the same game plan.  

Their O was grinding it out, run heavy, etc., and they scored on almost every drive.  That kills a D’s will.  A fast strike O is not as effective.  

Anyway, it’s food for thought during the break.  

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Offense wins in the league now and to take it a step further the QB is by far the lost important piece on any team. 

So, on offense you need the best possible QB with the best possible supporting cast and on defense you need players who can affect the play of the opposing QBs directly. 

As the old saying goes, you want to draft guys who can get into the end zone, or guys who can knock down their QB.  

I think the Colts are built that way.  With a lot less emphasis on guys who can cover their WRs.  

Ball control, minimize their opportunities to score.  

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Why do you think A and B are the only options? 

What’s the reason for Ballard to be cheap?   What incentive would there be? 

Posters like Superman and w87r have crunched the numbers.  The Colts are among the league leaders in spending.  

Ballard’s is going into his 8th year.  He’s been competitive in 6 of the 8 seasons and I personally think season 1 was a tank. 

Also…. Ballard always says the team is always looking to improve.  It’s now mid-June, so the Colts have 5 more weeks to sign someone before camp starts.  There are a number of FA safeties available.  Why aren’t the other 31 teams signing these players either.  They’re certainly good enough.  But it’s Ballard who is wrong or incompetent or cheap or something and not anyone else.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think A and B are the only options? 

What’s the reason for Ballard to be cheap?   What incentive would there be? 

Posters like Superman and w87r have crunched the numbers.  The Colts are among the league leaders in spending.  

Ballard’s is going into his 8th year.  He’s been competitive in 6 of the 8 seasons and I personally think season 1 was a tank. 

Also…. Ballard always says the team is always looking to improve.  It’s now mid-June, so the Colts have 5 more weeks to sign someone before camp starts.  There are a number of FA safeties available.  Why aren’t the other 31 teams signing these players either.  They’re certainly good enough.  But it’s Ballard who is wrong or incompetent or cheap or something and not anyone else.  

We have the weak secondary where a player in FA can be signed for a year and get a starting job. We also have the money to afford any of them. Not too many other teams have that combination of both factors right now. Also, the draft recently happened and I'm guessing a lot of these teams want to try out their early round picks in the secondary right now. We didn't draft anyone in the secondary until the 5th round. We are somewhat desperate (not to mention Daniel Scott is out for the year again). Other teams are not at the moment.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why aren’t the other 31 teams signing these players either.  They’re certainly good enough.  But it’s Ballard who is wrong or incompetent or cheap or something and not anyone else.  

All - this is the real question.

What do the 32 GMs in the league know that the rest of us (we're on the outside looking in) don't know?

Answer that question and you'll have what you need to analyze the choices made by the leadership of your favorite team.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

We have the weak secondary where a player in FA can be signed for a year and get a starting job. We also have the money to afford any of them. Not too many other teams have that combination of both factors right now. Also, the draft recently happened and I'm guessing a lot of these teams want to try out their early round picks in the secondary right now. We didn't draft anyone in the secondary until the 5th round. We are somewhat desperate (not to mention Daniel Scott is out for the year again). Other teams are not at the moment.

But if the Colts sign someone next week or the week after then it really doesn’t matter. 

I would’ve preferred we sign some two weeks ago.   Get them familiar with the DC and position coach.   But once we didn’t then it really doesn’t matter when.  It just matters that we do it before camp opens.  At least to me. 

And the fact no one else is signing these top FA safeties tells me the market just isn’t there yet.   I’m preaching a healthy dose of patients.  

1 hour ago, lester said:

All - this is the real question.

What do the 32 GMs in the league know that the rest of us (we're on the outside looking in) don't know?

Answer that question and you'll have what you need to analyze the choices made by the leadership of your favorite team.

And when/if a team signs one of those safeties they’ll be made to look like a genius while Ballard is called a fool. 

I think what’s more likely is that an injury will inevitably happen and a team will bring in an available free agent. That could be training camp. That could early in the season. You just never know. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But if the Colts sign someone next week or the week after then it really doesn’t matter. 

I would’ve preferred we sign some two weeks ago.   Get them familiar with the DC and position coach.   But once we didn’t then it really doesn’t matter when.  It just matters that we do it before camp opens.  At least to me. 

And the fact no one else is signing these top FA safeties tells me the market just isn’t there yet.   I’m preaching a healthy dose of patients.  

Uuuugh.  

I think it would’ve been better if I had preached a healthy dose of patience and NOT patients.      :facepalm:

:giveup:

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Again, I’m not saying a good D isn’t needed…well, maybe I am….  But what I’m really saying is that with a great Offensive you can win with an average Defense.

And, as to your point, I think all the teams that lost in those games you mentioned all had very good defenses.  

I’d say those teams that lost had worse defenses compared to the winners. That’s not to say that their defenses were bad, they just weren’t as clutch in the big moment. 

To me, defense matters a whole lot when you need a stop or a momentum change. 

Look at all of the star studded power offense teams of the last decade who were incapable of winning it all. 

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

On offense, 4 of 5 of our top receivers, 3 TE's, 1 o-lineman and our QB are unproven. So what is Ballard's rush to sign now, anything other than a young, talented prospect?

Why waste $$ on a declining good player that wants considerable guaranteed money on a multi-year deal? 

Or why jump now for a decent vet? 

There should be a few shots no later than final cuts for Ballard to go after  someone we like. If not, next years off season and draft should bring the final solutions.

11 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I think they aren’t rushing to sign anywhere for obvious reasons. They are holding strong for what they perceive as their worth- or- for a top team to come calling when injury strikes. We aren’t a top Super Bowl contender at the moment. nor are we going to overpay (and no one else is apparently). What does it hurt these guys to be patient like we possibly are, as well as other teams? If a major injury or two happens in training camp, they may get their asking price. If they don’t- they can sit on the sidelines for a few weeks, wait for the standings to sort out, and a contender to come calling. 

Some of these guys aren’t going to waste any time on a team that is uncertain to be competitive, especially for less than what it’s going to get them to take a chance. Vets want to win more than anything. 

On 6/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with you that he is not trying to build an average defense. It is just a plain fact that after 8 yeas of drafting and free agency, he has managed to do it.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree with you that he is not trying to build an average defense. It is just a plain fact that after 8 yeas of drafting and free agency, he has managed to do it.

We’ll see if it remains average this year.  I think it’s possible, but unlikely.   Put another way,  if the Colts defense is average in 2024 I will be very, Very, VERY disappointed. 

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’ll see if it remains average this year.  I think it’s possible, but unlikely.   Put another way,  if the Colts defense is average in 2024 I will be very, Very, VERY disappointed. 

Love the addition of Latu. I wanted him and/or the corner who is blazing fast and a man corner (cannot remember his name). I never thought Ballard would pick either because of the injury history for Latu and the other not a zone corner. In reality, the D could be a lot better this year than last. However it may not be reflected in the stats because they play some very good qb's this year. Last year, the D faced horrible qb play and what is alarming is that they actually put up stats near the bottom.  That being said, I cannot see the D being worse than last year if that is comforting, lol?? 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 1:55 PM, Smonroe said:

It is how teams countered the Manning teams of the mid to late 2000's...or at least tried to.

• Like 1