Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Update: AD Mitchell signed

atapcl

This happens every single year and every single year people worry about the occasional unsigned rookie when we haven't even gotten into June yet.

Guys/gals... it's really a big nothing burger. Ever since the NFL introduced rookie scale contracts this has been a non-issue. Everything important in those contracts has been made non-negotiable. The negotiable things are largely minutiae - it's about schedule of payment...it's about off-set language, or language about voiding salary payments(for example - can the team void payments for suspensions and stuff like that), etc.

There are two cases I remember in the last 10 years where this has become a problem and the player has actually missed training camp practices because of it - Joey Bosa(because of schedule of payments dispute) and Roquan Smith(because of dispute about the language about voiding payments for suspensions because of play). And as you see... Both of those were top 10 picks. (i.e. more money on the line)...

Holdouts/holdins of day 2 and day 3 picks are pretty much unheard of. I personally couldn't find a single case when I looked for it. 

AD seems to be taking part in both rookie mini camp and in OTAs and hasn't missed any practice, we haven't heard about any sort of dispute so far, so my assumption would be there is nothing to see here and it's all formality. 

So yeah... Unless we hear there is a problem I would just assume everything is good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be added in reference to anything medical.

That makes sense. Have never heard of it happening either. 

On 5/22/2024 at 1:51 PM, dw49 said:

No ... I'm sure this is bad character . Oh my God , why did we ever draft this malcontent ?

The link below exhibits the fact that only 10 of the 22 2nd round picks have signed as we speak. The 5 picks above him and the 9 picks below him have not signed. This is very worrisome .

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/draft-signings.html

I apologize for my intolerance.

Thank you for the next paragraph and link. It was All that was needed to properly inform.

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I apologize for my intolerance.

Thank you for the next paragraph and link. It was All that was needed to properly inform.

No harm done . Big of you to write a post like that.

On 5/22/2024 at 1:37 PM, Yoshinator said:

I'll just say this, if there was a bet in Vegas that you could pick the last person to sign their rookie contract with the Colts this year, I'm sure AD Mitchell would have been far and away the favorite. He would have been my guess. He didn't show much emotion when we drafted him, and I'm guessing he's still upset he fell to the 2nd round. Hope he's not going to be petty and hold out. 

Didn’t show much emotion?! Are you kidding me? That interview and initial reaction from him were amongst the most emotional of any pick this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Sounds like he's progressing quite well.   I wouldn't be worried about him signing right now. 

https://1075thefan.com/322371/adonai-mitchell-already-making-strong-impression-on-reggie-wayne/

From everything I’ve read about the kid, from coaches to fellow players, he does not sound like someone who is selfish, but a hard worker who’s willing to learn and take in improvement. 

I think might really have something here. Looking forward to seeing him during training camp!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

From everything I’ve read about the kid, from coaches to fellow players, he does not sound like someone who is selfish, but a hard worker who’s willing to learn and take in improvement. 

I think might really have something here. Looking forward to seeing him during training camp!

I still think it shows how much the Colts think his rumored issues actually are being overblown. Ballard went OFF in defense of this kid. That’s gonna mean a ton to most kids and make them give it their all

• Like 2

On 5/22/2024 at 4:50 PM, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be added in reference to anything medical.

Offsets could be part of what's being negotiated. 

More than that, I think the sticking point in this range of the draft is overall guaranteed money. From the top of the second round to the middle, the difference in overall guarantees has been slightly growing in recent years, as early second round guys are getting more guaranteed. 

For example, in 2021, the #33 pick was Tyson Campbell, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary, and part of his Year 3 salary. The #52 pick that year was Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary. In 2023, the #33 pick was Will Levis, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1-3 salary, and part of his Year 4 salary. The #52 pick was Zach Charbonnet, and his guarantees were the same as the guy in 2021 -- signing bonus +Year 1&2 salary. So there's been a lift at the top of the second round, but it has not extended to the middle of the round. Yet.

(A slight monkey wrench last year is that the Dolphins lost their first round pick for tampering, so the #33 pick in 2023 was actually the second pick of the second round, not the first pick of the second round. That would have been #32, Joey Porter Jr, who also got guaranteed money into Year 4.)

Plus, as more gets guaranteed in this range, the offset discussion becomes more important. No one cares about offsets when only Year 1 is guaranteed. As those guarantees go into Year 3 or 4, now we need to talk about offset language. Especially since fourth year players are not subject to waivers.

So I think the middle of the second round is where there's a big sticking point right now. In 2011, this was more seen at the end of the first round (which is why Anthony Castonzo's negotiations went a few days into training camp). It keeps moving back gradually, but this explains why only 11/32 second round picks are signed so far. As the dominoes fall, everyone kind of finds their level, and then the next year's class tries to push the guarantees a little bit further. By the end of the decade, the entire second round might be getting the first three years fully guaranteed, with no offset language.

By the way, there are 20 unsigned first rounders (including eight of the top ten), and 21 unsigned second rounders (including the five players who went right before AD Mitchell, and the eight players who went right after him). So everyone should buckle up, because there's a lot of work to be done league-wide, and for the most part it has nothing to do with the individual players involved.

(Sorry this went so long, I started getting carried away.)

That was one hell of an explanation. It was a virtual master class of gridiron economics. I personally have a much simpler understanding of football that has nothing to do with the financial aspects and front office politics. Those two aspects take most of the fun out of football discussions . The unknowns and conspiracy aspects adds to the enjoyment of these discussions. Some posters see only black and white. They gristle at the gray areas. Relax and have some fun. But once again, great explanation. 

On 5/29/2024 at 11:47 AM, stitches said:

I was looking through some posts about him on Georgia and Texas forums and reddit. He is universally loved by fans. It's rare to see fans be so supportive of a player both at his old school and new school(after transferring) when he's leaving for the NFL. It seems like he left a lot of people with great impressions of himself both at Georgia and in Texas. They loved his personality, they loved the way he carried himself on and off the field... and they loved that he was clutch AF. I saw posts both by Georgia and Texas fans saying he would never have to buy himself a beer when visiting their respective cities. 

This is not the picture of someone you would guess has character/attitude concerns, especially in light of all the comments we've been getting about him coming to work and being extremely serious about his craft in practice by Colts coaching staff. I am starting to believe Ballard's rant more and more the more I read about AD. It's possible some NFL teams just completely misread him in some short interviews. maybe the diabetes had something to do with it, but that is more of an excuse for those teams than a knock on Mitchell. 

I'm a huge Georgia fan and let me tell you that he was loved and adored by the fanbase, the players and the coaches.

There was never any word of AD having a bad attitude or being a me first player.  I can tell you that is complete nonsense.

Kirby Smart (the HC at Georgia) runs a very tight ship.  He wants team players first.  He always emphasizes T-E-A-M.  Players with bad attitudes are left on the bench or better hit the transfer portal.  In fact, he often starts the 3 star or 4 star player over the 5 star player if they give more effort and hustle.

AD was instrumental in helping Georgia win back to back National Championships and when he wanted to transfer, he told us he wanted to be closer to his daughter in Texas.  So Georgia fans gave him their blessing.  Trust me when I tell you we are not always that gracious.

He is a big time player that makes big plays in the most critical moments in the game.  I already posted the Ohio State game where he made the game winning catch eliminating Ohio State.  That was the CJ Stroud big scramble at the end game.

But one of the biggest plays in Georgia history was the 2021 National Championship game.  Georgia was on their way to losing 8 straight times to Alabama.  For whatever reason Alabama was the hump that Georgia could not get over.

Then with 8:15 left in the game with dejected Georgia fans facing sure defeat at the hands of Alabama again, Stetson Bennett throws a 50 yard bomb to AD Mitchell. 

Look at the way he tracks the ball.  The ball was slightly underthrown, so AD had to come back for it.  Then after AD catches it the Alabama DB tries to rip the ball away on the ground, but AD held on !!!  This is a legendary moment in Georgia Football !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

That was one hell of an explanation. It was a virtual master class of gridiron economics. I personally have a much simpler understanding of football that has nothing to do with the financial aspects and front office politics. Those two aspects take most of the fun out of football discussions . The unknowns and conspiracy aspects adds to the enjoyment of these discussions. Some posters see only black and white. They gristle at the gray areas. Relax and have some fun. But once again, great explanation. 

Not sure what you mean by front office politics, but the contract stuff is fascinating to me, so it definitely doesn't reduce my enjoyment. The prolonged contract standoffs can be aggravating, but those usually get resolved without too much trouble. The Colts haven't had much of that, but JT gave us a nice dose last year. After the way the Colts handled Pittman, Buckner, Grover, Kenny, and Zaire, I don't think we'll have any serious contract issues anytime soon. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure why this is a big deal? Anthony Richardson didn't sign until July 24th last season. He will be signed; it is just a matter of time.

It's primarily because the only unsigned draft pick is the guy who was rumored to have some character concerns before the draft. I understand asking the question, but once you look at all the factors involved -- like you mentioned, many draft picks don't sign until right before camp -- it's a non-issue right now. If he's still unsigned in 8 weeks, let's talk.

• Like 4

It’s a ripple effect.

Rome Odunze is still unsigned and that has a ripple effect on what happens to the WRs drafted after him, with agents closely watching. Last I heard, Brian Thomas Jr. of Jaguars, Xavier Worthy, Ricky Pearsall, Ladd McConkey, Jalynn Polk, are all unsigned, the last time I checked. All these WRs drafted before AD.

Watch, once Odunze signs, there will be a whole lot of reactive signings at WR position.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, stitches said:

I was looking through some posts about him on Georgia and Texas forums and reddit. He is universally loved by fans. It's rare to see fans be so supportive of a player both at his old school and new school(after transferring) when he's leaving for the NFL. It seems like he left a lot of people with great impressions of himself both at Georgia and in Texas. They loved his personality, they loved the way he carried himself on and off the field... and they loved that he was clutch AF. I saw posts both by Georgia and Texas fans saying he would never have to buy himself a beer when visiting their respective cities. 

This is not the picture of someone you would guess has character/attitude concerns, especially in light of all the comments we've been getting about him coming to work and being extremely serious about his craft in practice by Colts coaching staff. I am starting to believe Ballard's rant more and more the more I read about AD. It's possible some NFL teams just completely misread him in some short interviews. maybe the diabetes had something to do with it, but that is more of an excuse for those teams than a knock on Mitchell. 

I have read numerous scouts and they had him ranked as the  #3 WR in the draft based on talent. I loved the pick but let's not fool ourselves, there is something that made him drop to the 2nd. I am not going to say it is character and/or lack of production. Ballard can go on his rant all he wants, but there was a reason. If he succeeds and becomes a legit #1, then we will wont care. My guess is if he fails to live up the hype, then we  it will leak out why he never reached his full potential. At this point, I couldn't care a less, as I loved the pick at the time and it was the Colts taking a chance with some questions about Mitchell. The one thing I did not like was Ballard going on his rant is he should have just kept quiet and said we like he player. Him going on a rant leaves him open to criticism if for example Mitchell does not work out and say it comes out that he has a poor attitude, work ethic etc.

40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have read numerous scouts and they had him ranked as the  #3 WR in the draft based on talent. I loved the pick but let's not fool ourselves, there is something that made him drop to the 2nd. I am not going to say it is character and/or lack of production. Ballard can go on his rant all he wants, but there was a reason. If he succeeds and becomes a legit #1, then we will wont care. My guess is if he fails to live up the hype, then we  it will leak out why he never reached his full potential. At this point, I couldn't care a less, as I loved the pick at the time and it was the Colts taking a chance with some questions about Mitchell. The one thing I did not like was Ballard going on his rant is he should have just kept quiet and said we like he player. Him going on a rant leaves him open to criticism if for example Mitchell does not work out and say it comes out that he has a poor attitude, work ethic etc.

Even if Mitchell doesn't pan out, I don't find anything wrong with Ballard saying what he said.  He said the exact same thing last year regarding CJ Stroud and his S2 (I believe?) testing.  His point was just that people with these "anonymous sources" put out so much information with the explicit aim to tear these draft prospects down in teams' and the public's eyes.  It wasn't just an AD rant.  It's an overall, generally speaking rant.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Even if Mitchell doesn't pan out, I don't find anything wrong with Ballard saying what he said.  He said the exact same thing last year regarding CJ Stroud and his S2 (I believe?) testing.  His point was just that people with these "anonymous sources" put out so much information with the explicit aim to tear these draft prospects down in teams' and the public's eyes.  It wasn't just an AD rant.  It's an overall, generally speaking rant.

I think Ballard sincerely believes in everything he said about how players get dragged during the draft process. Like you said, he did it last year, mostly in defense of a player the Colts didn't even have a chance to draft. 

But I also think he saw strategic value in publicly defending AD Mitchell on draft night. There's really no downside to sticking up for your players in front of the media, especially when we're talking about a prospect who is obviously upset with how things went in the draft, and who plays a diva-friendly position. We all know there were questions about AD; we heard the rumors and read the articles. Ballard's comments changed the narrative surrounding AD with a 60 second sound bite. And now it's on AD to prove Ballard right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Adonai Mitchell signed btw. Tons of conditions had to be put in for him, including guaranteed money. The kid is a spoiled brat.

Are you being serious??  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Look up Aaron Wilson on Twitter, he has all the details of Adonai's contract. It won't let me pin it here.

No I mean about him being a spoiled brat?    

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No I mean about him being a spoiled brat?    

Yes, I'm serious. He got his 2024 and 2025 years fully guaranteed in money, $2.191 million signing bonus, $700K of his 2026 year guaranteed for skill, injury, and salary cap out of a $1.802 million base salary.

He is dictating terms to Ballard before he even plays a down in the NFL. He is a spoiled brat.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thank you for this. :thmup:

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Yes, I'm serious. He got his 2024 and 2025 years fully guaranteed in money, $2.191 million signing bonus, $700K of his 2026 year guaranteed for skill, injury, and salary cap out of a $1.802 million base salary.

He is dictating terms to Ballard before he even plays a down in the NFL. He is a spoiled brat.

You think Mitchell was in the room with Ballard negotiating this contract?   He wasn't.   His agent was.    

#Colts second-round pick Adonai Mitchell deal: $7.386 million, 65.22 percent guaranteed, bonus $2.191 million. 2024, 2025 fully gtd, $700K of 2026 guaranteed for skill, injury, salary cap out of $1.802 million base salary @KPRC2

Nothing really earth shattering in this deal at all.    Not sure what you're talking about

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Huh? Those are standard and usually the first 3 years are fully guaranteed. If anything it was the Colts that have put in some conditions to his 3d year salary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You think Mitchell was in the room with Ballard negotiating this contract?   He wasn't.   His agent was.    

#Colts second-round pick Adonai Mitchell deal: $7.386 million, 65.22 percent guaranteed, bonus $2.191 million. 2024, 2025 fully gtd, $700K of 2026 guaranteed for skill, injury, salary cap out of $1.802 million base salary @KPRC2

Nothing really earth shattering in this deal at all.    Not sure what you're talking about

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Huh? Those are standard and usually the first 3 years are fully guaranteed. If anything it was the Colts that have put in some conditions to his 3d year salary. 

I've never heard the first three years of a contract being guaranteed. If they are, I apologize. I had no idea that was true for rookies. Sorry about that, and sorry AD. I assumed because it took so long to sign he was making sure he got guaranteed money that the other rookies didn't get. I apologize again. My bad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I've never heard the first three years of a contract being guaranteed. If they are, I apologize. I had no idea that was true for rookies. Sorry about that, and sorry AD. I assumed because it took so long to sign he was making sure he got guaranteed money that the other rookies didn't get. I apologize again. My bad.

Those contracts are standard. The NFL has made it so the players and the teams can't really squabble over anything important. Everything that is left to negotiate is minor details - like schedule of payment or off-set language(it seems like this last one has generally been lost by the players and the rookie contracts with favorable off-set language to the player are nowadays few and far between), or whether the team can suspend payments for some reasons(for example, if the player gets suspended by the league). 

The reason Mitchell's contract wasn't signed until today might have been super trivial ... like... maybe his agent wanted to meet Ballard and make the signing official in person, but his scheduling didn't allow them to meet until now... or maybe they did have some minor thing to negotiate. 

In any case - AD hasn't been anything but professional so far(both Steichen and Reggie have been complimentary about the way he's worked). He participated in rookie mini-camp, and he has participated in every single OTA so far, despite not having signed his contract. We should be a bit more generous with our assumptions about players. Unless we explicitly hear there is some type of problem IMO we should just assume there is none. :dunno:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I have always appreciated your posts, even the controversial ones. But let’s cut this guy a break. I don’t mind him having an ego. He believes in himself, and I like that.

I’m in sales. I deal with massive egos every day. The truth is, for some people it’s warranted. It’s hard to be the best at something if you don’t have an extreme level of belief in yourself.

There’s a reason some of the best wide receivers in history have been major divas. And quite frankly, I don’t have an issue with it. I also don’t have an issue with somebody negotiating their butt off to get the best deal they can. Injuries are a real thing. Players deserve to fight for themselves.

I’ve been patient with Ballard wanting to build the foundation for a while now. But I’ve been waiting for us to get some of our own edgy players with a little bit of attitude. If AD can consistently take the top off of defenses and back up that confidence in himself with performance on the field, I’m here for it! 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You are absolutely right, there's nothing earth shattering about this contract. In fact, if AD has agreed/signed -- still waiting on stronger confirmation of this -- he's one of the first of his draft grouping of about 10 players to get his contract done. The four players drafted right before him and the five right after are still unsigned, per Spotrac. 

However, his guaranteed money is moving the needle from previous draft years. The #52 pick last year was Zach Charbonnet. Per Spotrac, his contract was fully guaranteed for Year 1 and Year 2, with no guarantees into Year 3. The guaranteed portion was 55%. 

Based on the details reported by Aaron Wilson, AD Mitchell's guarantees go into Year 3, even though the Year 3 portion is not fully guaranteed. Still, that brings his guaranteed portion up to 65%. No further details out yet, including offsets -- which becomes more important when the third year has guaranteed money. Either way, that's a win for AD Mitchell, and for all players drafted in the middle of the second round moving forward. 

And that's the way rookie contracts have been going since the 2011 CBA. Every year, the guarantees get a little more aggressive. As reported, the Mitchell contract just continues the cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Adonai Mitchell signed btw. Tons of conditions had to be put in for him, including guaranteed money. The kid is a spoiled brat.

:facepalm: pot calling kettle black.

You do realize they want to make money...don't you? Is that part not on Madden?

• Like 1

For the person who thinks he is a spoiled brat and doesn’t understand how rookie contracts work I suggest you watch this. He is a good kid.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You are absolutely right, there's nothing earth shattering about this contract. In fact, if AD has agreed/signed -- still waiting on stronger confirmation of this -- he's one of the first of his draft grouping of about 10 players to get his contract done. The four players drafted right before him and the five right after are still unsigned, per Spotrac. 

However, his guaranteed money is moving the needle from previous draft years. The #52 pick last year was Zach Charbonnet. Per Spotrac, his contract was fully guaranteed for Year 1 and Year 2, with no guarantees into Year 3. The guaranteed portion was 55%. 

Based on the details reported by Aaron Wilson, AD Mitchell's guarantees go into Year 3, even though the Year 3 portion is not fully guaranteed. Still, that brings his guaranteed portion up to 65%. No further details out yet, including offsets -- which becomes more important when the third year has guaranteed money. Either way, that's a win for AD Mitchell, and for all players drafted in the middle of the second round moving forward. 

And that's the way rookie contracts have been going since the 2011 CBA. Every year, the guarantees get a little more aggressive. As reported, the Mitchell contract just continues the cycle. 

3 hours ago 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CardiacColts said:

I have always appreciated your posts, even the controversial ones. But let’s cut this guy a break. I don’t mind him having an ego. He believes in himself, and I like that.

I’m in sales. I deal with massive egos every day. The truth is, for some people it’s warranted. It’s hard to be the best at something if you don’t have an extreme level of belief in yourself.

There’s a reason some of the best wide receivers in history have been major divas. And quite frankly, I don’t have an issue with it. I also don’t have an issue with somebody negotiating their butt off to get the best deal they can. Injuries are a real thing. Players deserve to fight for themselves.

I’ve been patient with Ballard wanting to build the foundation for a while now. But I’ve been waiting for us to get some of our own edgy players with a little bit of attitude. If AD can consistently take the top off of defenses and back up that confidence in himself with performance on the field, I’m here for it! 

It's OK.

I think it's been so long since Colts fans have had an elite WR, I think they have forgotten what one looks and acts like.

• Like 1