Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your surprise opening day starter

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Blake Freeland!! 

Because Smith moved to RG with Freeland's major improvement. 

Fries is not being replaced by Smith and probably by nobody unless he's injured. He played well last year.  Also....No way are we paying that much money for 2 guards. ( Smith and Nelson)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Fries is not being replaced by Smith and probably by nobody unless he's injured. He played well last year.  Also....No way are we paying that much money for 2 guards. ( Smith and Nelson)

Contract is paid, that's the past. Fries did play well, but if Smith is better guard and Freeland is just as good as Smith at RT. Your telling me you wouldn't do it because of a contract that has already been signed? It's not about his current contract, it's about his next.

Assuming no vet FS is signed, I’ll throw my support behind Daniel Scott. The staff say his intellect and awareness on the field is terrific; his RAS score was off the charts if I recall so he’s a top athlete; and his competition at the moment, Cross, has not shown much after two years. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I read that .... then reread it.......

Are you saying that he is a guaranteed starter?

Or there is no chance that he is the starter?

Its early, I havent finished my coffee.....  It might be my denseness

Goncalves would seem to have a real chance at RG.... IMHO

There is a chance IMO. :D 

• Like 1

Contract is paid, that's the past. Fries did play well, but if Smith is better guard and Freeland is just as good as Smith at RT. Your telling me you wouldn't do it because of a contract that has already been signed? It's not about his current contract, it's about his next.

There is no way I can see Freeland beating out Smith at RT.  Smith had the successful offseason surgery as well.  If it ain’t broke you don’t fix it as the saying goes.  Freeland hasn’t shown he is ready to start.  Fries played very well last year and they brought in Conclaves to back him up or possibly replace him if Fries leaves in FA after this year.  That’s a possibility I think.  For now I see our starting OL starting again unless there is an injury.  I think the backups are stronger than last year’s though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

There is no way I can see Freeland beating out Smith at RT.  Smith had the successful offseason surgery as well.  If it ain’t broke you don’t fix it as the saying goes.  Freeland hasn’t shown he is ready to start.  Fries played very well last year and they brought in Conclaves to back him up or possibly replace him if Fries leaves in FA after this year.  That’s a possibility I think.  For now I see our starting OL starting again unless there is an injury.  I think the backups are stronger than last year’s though.

Best 5, that's what they say. Freeland only needs to play better at RT than Fries at RG. It's not about beating out Smith, don't think he could either. 

• Like 1

Best 5, that's what they say. Freeland only needs to play better at RT than Fries at RG. It's not about beating out Smith, don't think he could either. 

That’s why Smith stays at RT.  Freeland is not better than Smith.  You don’t weaken RT.

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s why Smith stays at RT.  Freeland is not better than Smith.  You don’t weaken RT.

Let me put this another way. If you rate the O lineman 0-5, Q obviously being 5. Our current starting 5 how I see it is:

LT Raimann 4

LG Q 5

C Kelley 4

RG Fries 3

RT Smith 4

What I see moving Smith and adding Freeland:

LT Raimann 4

LG Q 5

C Kelley 4

RG Smith 5 or 4.9(perennial pro bowler at this spot)

RT Freeland 4(last year started at a 2 ended at a 3, projecting close to Smith. He is more athletic)

I think with my lineup we added .2 avg/carry and maybe more time to throw. Not huge difference but a difference. 

30 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Let me put this another way. If you rate the O lineman 0-5, Q obviously being 5. Our current starting 5 how I see it is:

LT Raimann 4

LG Q 5

C Kelley 4

RG Fries 3

RT Smith 4

What I see moving Smith and adding Freeland:

LT Raimann 4

LG Q 5

C Kelley 4

RG Smith 5 or 4.9(perennial pro bowler at this spot)

RT Freeland 4(last year started at a 2 ended at a 3, projecting close to Smith. He is more athletic)

I think with my lineup we added .2 avg/carry and maybe more time to throw. Not huge difference but a difference. 

Difference of opinion I guess.  No way I see Freeland as a 4 and being close to Smith at all.  I could actually see Fries improving as well.  Smith is one of the best RT in the league when healthy.  Chemistry on the OL is of great importance so I don’t see any changes to the starting five in the near future.  I would be shocked for sure if Freeland could outperform Smith forcing him to guard.  I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Difference of opinion I guess.  No way I see Freeland as a 4 and being close to Smith at all.  I could actually see Fries improving as well.  Smith is one of the best RT in the league when healthy.  Chemistry on the OL is of great importance so I don’t see any changes to the starting five in the near future.  I would be shocked for sure if Freeland could outperform Smith forcing him to guard.  I just don’t see it.

It's not about Freeland out performing Smith, that's not happening. If he comes close would be great, if he takes the trajectory that Raimann did, it puts him close. I think Freeland can out perform Fries. This will give us ProBowlers in the middle of the line.

18 minutes ago, Matabix said:

It's not about Freeland out performing Smith, that's not happening. If he comes close would be great, if he takes the trajectory that Raimann did, it puts him close. I think Freeland can out perform Fries. This will give us ProBowlers in the middle of the line.

Freeland is a tackle backing up Smith.  He’s not outperforming Fries.  If he doesn’t outperform Smith he’s not playing.  Close doesn’t cut it.  Only in horseshoes.  lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Freeland is a tackle backing up Smith.  He’s not outperforming Fries.  If he doesn’t outperform Smith he’s not playing.  Close doesn’t cut it.  Only in horseshoes.  lol.

Nm, don't know how else to explain it to you.

1 minute ago, Matabix said:

Nm, don't know how else to explain it to you.

Just remember when Ballard drafted Smith he said he was the last player on their board who they thought was a starting tackle.  There was a run on tackles and he felt fortunate to draft him.  He was never intended to play guard.  Tackle is where they wanted him and he was right on his evaluation.  I think if anyone is going to replace Fries it will be Bortoloni or Gonclaves down the road.  Not Smith.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s our starting RT until he retires or leaves via FA.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just remember when Ballard drafted Smith he said he was the last player on their board who they thought was a starting tackle.  There was a run on tackles and he felt fortunate to draft him.  He was never intended to play guard.  Tackle is where they wanted him and he was right on his evaluation.  I think if anyone is going to replace Fries it will be Bortoloni or Gonclaves down the road.  Not Smith.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s our starting RT until he retires or leaves via FA.  

I remember that different. He was plugged into RT because of injury and out performed every in camp that year at RT. Never remember Ballard saying they drafted him to play RT, just that he had position flexibility. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I remember that different. He was plugged into RT because of injury and out performed every in camp that year at RT. Never remember Ballard saying they drafted him to play RT, just that he had position flexibility. 

I remember it clearly.  That he was the last OL on their board who could be a starting tackle.  Left or right didn’t matter.  Maybe they didn’t expect it to happen so soon but they wanted to draft an OL who could be a starting tackle.  He was the 37th pick.  Makes sense when you see how high he was drafted.  Worked out perfectly.

• Like 1

As I remember smith was a guard in college and the last guard with a starter grade Ballard had in the draft. He slid to right tackle due to injury and never looked back.   

• Like 4

On 5/25/2024 at 6:54 AM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Not saying it will happen but you don't shy away because of salaries. Those are set

• Like 1

20 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I remember it clearly.  That he was the last OL on their board who could be a starting tackle.  Left or right didn’t matter.  Maybe they didn’t expect it to happen so soon but they wanted to draft an OL who could be a starting tackle.  He was the 37th pick.  Makes sense when you see how high he was drafted.  Worked out perfectly.

I don't think you're remembering it clearly

https://www.colts.com/video/ballard-and-reich-on-day-two-of-the-2018-nfl-draft-20599749

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Richard….    JVan and I aren’t agreeing on much recently, but on this issue I believe he’s right.   But there’s more….   

I believe as the story goes Ballard shared that Morocco Brown and other scouts were confident that Smith could play RT effectively.  Ballard was worried because Smiths arms are very short at 32 1/4 when Ballard wants at least 33 1/2 if not more.  So Brown and the scouts convinced Ballard Smith was athletic enough to do the job.    And they been right.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richard….    JVan and I aren’t agreeing on much recently, but on this issue I believe he’s right.   But there’s more….   

I believe as the story goes Ballard shared that Morocco Brown and other scouts were confident that Smith could play RT effectively.  Ballard was worried because Smiths arms are very short at 32 1/4 when Ballard wants at least 33 1/2 if not more.  So Brown and the scouts convinced Ballard Smith was athletic enough to do the job.    And they been right.  

Brown has been a huge front office asset for years.  If this story holds true, this is another example of his worth to the team.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ballard was perfectly clear Smith was drafted as a guard.

And he directly commented to the importance of being able to control the "depth of the pocket".

It is a terrible shame that Smith wasn't a guard for us. He definitely could have been a perennial Pro Bowler and perhaps All-Pro some years.

The guy has given up a lot of pressures against speed rushers. And have you ever seen a highlight of him making a great block out in space in the screen game, etc.? Smith is a superb mauler, period.

As for Fries, he is no more than adequate. He gets mauled by big tackles giving up pressure with bull rushes. And worse yet, he can not bend low and win the war when we need a yard. They list him at 305 and he plays like it. Gonglaves shouldn't have any trouble beating him out in due time. Surely by mid-season. Lets hope so. The real miracle would be that Gonclaves would be able to pass block as well as Smith does at RT and we finally get to see Smith excel inside.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The first game this year could make or break the Colts and/or the Texans. Every point could be critical.

The first game of the year isn't going to make or break anyone.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

The first game this year could make or break the Colts and/or the Texans. Every point could be critical.

i dont see the colts beating the texans at all this season , the texans have added more elite talent

they will dominate our division this season, I hate to say it but it is reality

After Pinter nearly ended Matt Ryan's life in 4 games, Smith was moved to RG for the 2022 Denver game - the 12-9 game for the ages.  Ballard pulled the plug on Smith at RG five minutes later, so I wouldn't expect it again.  

8 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i dont see the colts beating the texans at all this season , the texans have added more elite talent

Very true but we need to see how AR performs. Their running attack is said to be much improved. It would be nice to at least win the home game.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:19 PM, stitches said:

Purely based on how much they've shown to love Concalves... I think there's non-zero chance he starts at RG. 

Jaylon Carlies ... maybe? If we count the 3d LB spot as a starter? 

I think they re-signed Ronnie Harrison for that spot. But Carlies prob going to be 2nd on the depth chart.

On 5/26/2024 at 11:53 AM, jvan1973 said:

Yep. Ballard said was that Smith was the last starting-caliber G on the board. The original idea was the pair him with Q at G.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/05/01/insider-colts-chris-ballard-breaks-down-film-picks-nfl-draft/567609002/

9 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Thanks for letting me know. How does 2025 look?

• Like 2