Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com has made his first mock - DJ Mock Draft 1.0

He has Bowers falling to us. I can live with that lol.

Idk if Byron Murphy goes that high but yeah I'll take it lol. They always put the WRs in the first couple picks but I really could see picks 5, 6, and 7 going to tackles. They all have huge question marks at one of the spots. No point in any of them getting weapons if they don't have a line. Especially the Giants. Paid Jones all that and can't protect him.I 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB said:

Idk if Byron Murphy goes that high but yeah I'll take it lol. They always put the WRs in the first couple picks but I really could see picks 5, 6, and 7 going to tackles. They all have huge question marks at one of the spots. No point in any of them getting weapons if they don't have a line. Especially the Giants. Paid Jones all that and can't protect him.I 

I don't hink Murphy goes that high either.

Yeah Chargers, Giants and Titans could go either way. Guess it depends on which they have the highest grade on. Let's hope they favor tackles. 🤞

• Like 1

We have to compete in our own division first and the Jags and Texans already have a huge jump on us in terms of talent at the premier positions. They have edge rushers,Qb's, WR's and TE's. We feel we have the QB solved but we have to upgrade our edge rushers and Wr's/TE's. We do have probably the best OL and RB in the division but that won't get us division titles. I think Ballard needs to get a proven pass rusher from either FA or trade. Our best Dlman came from FA/Trade while he continuously busts on Edge rushers. Here's what I believe, until we fill those positions with better talent, we won't win division titles let alone playoff games.

• Like 1

Trade up for Brock Bowers. He’d make this offense elite! He can line up inside or out wide. His game is made for Shane and his offense. Don’t believe go watch this guys highlight reel. A blue chip weapon that we’ve all been craving. 

• Like 1

What we do with the 1st pick is entirely dependent on what Ballard does leading up to the draft.  What I see as a possible scenario is we sign a veteran FS in FA hopefully McKinney.  If Calvin Ridley makes it to FA we will sign him.  He is the only WR that I see fitting our need that has a chance to make it to FA.  If he doesn't then I think the plan would be to trade for one.  Most likely Jeudy or McLaurin using our 2nd or 3rd rd picks.  I don't think Brown will be available.  Those moves would give us a major upgrade on both sides of the ball before the draft.  Assuming we can acquire a receiver with our 2nd or 3rd rd pick then he will sit at 15 and take Bowers if he is there or BPA.  Getting Bowers and a veteran WR would give AR two more weapons next year.  A new veteran FS solidifies the back end of the defense. That would be an ideal off season for me.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Can anyone recall Ballard drafting successfully a "shut down orner"?

To be fair Quincy Wilson is the only other corner he drafted high. Brents we will see what happens but he looks pretty good. Every other corner was drafted later rounds. Probably why we are going to see another corner drafted pretty high this April.

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To be fair Quincy Wilson is the only other corner he drafted high. Brents we will see what happens but he looks pretty good. Every other corner was drafted later rounds. Probably why we are going to see another corner drafted pretty high this April.

I could see Ballard falling in love with Cooper Dejean this draft. Great athlete, high character, tough defender. I think he'll be thereabouts around 15.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I could see Ballard falling in love with Cooper Dejean this draft. Great athlete, high character, tough defender. I think he'll be thereabouts around 15.

He’s actually a great fit for our zone coverage but I’m not sure we go CB round one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I like this better than another TE.  Even though Bowers does look very good I still like what we saw out of Mallory.

9 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

I like this better than another TE.  Even though Bowers does look very good I still like what we saw out of Mallory.

I would much rather take the sure thing in Bowers, who gives Indy a bonafide playmaking TE, over another safety prospect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would much rather take the sure thing in Bowers, who gives Indy a bonafide playmaking TE, over another safety prospect. 

Safety?  Why are you referring to Dejean as a safety.  He’s faster and better than Brents and I like Brents.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Safety?  Why are you referring to Dejean as a safety.  He’s faster and better than Brents and I like Brents.  

There's talks of him having issues on the outside in the NFL due to some hip tightness (european hips) which will slow him down when he needs to turn 180 degrees and sprit. There's also talks of him having elite traits for a safety in his vision and instincts. I think firstroundmock said his pro comp was the Tyran Mathieu.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB said:

There's talks of him having issues on the outside in the NFL due to some hip tightness (european hips) which will slow him down when he needs to turn 180 degrees and sprit. There's also talks of him having elite traits for a safety in his vision and instincts. I think firstroundmock said his pro comp was the Tyran Mathieu.

Tyran is what 5'11"  190 

DeJean.           6' +   209

We will see what his 40 is and cone drills

And yes, Ballard/Dodds have been failures providing us with SB caliber DB's.

DeJean Could be a quality CB in Ballard's simplistic D, but maybe a great Safety. History says we will get it wrong.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Tyran is what 5'11"  190 

DeJean.           6' +   209

DeJean Could be a quality CB in Ballard's simplistic D, but maybe a great Safety. History says we will get it wrong.

Uhh... ok

9 hours ago, KB said:

You don’t want to put him on those twitchy route running #1s, like Garrett Wilson, but he matches up great against strong big body #1s, like St. Brown and Nacua. He also plays well against straight line speed guys.

He absolutely can be a #1 outside CB in the NFL. You just might want to move him around when facing a few certain WRs. He immediately comes into the league as one of the best run stopping CBs. Dude sheds blocks like a speed edge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

DeJean Could be a quality CB in Ballard's simplistic D, but maybe a great Safety. 

Agree to this. 

I bet he runs a 4.4 or better

He also tackles like a LB

DeJean brings excellent flexibility as he could be a pro bowl CB in this defense, but there might be formations where he could act as a safety in case we start getting aggressive and blitzing more

The kid is an excellent returner as well

He seems like a great option at 15

I think we need to draft a good back up for AR in case he gets injured again, hoping not but chances are he will according to his style of play.   Secondly, maybe the defense could use some upgrade, especially if our defense i.e., Stewart may seek to play elsewhere.

If the thought behind taking Dejean at 15 is to move him to Safety I guess I could get behind it. But, I'd like it if we used the pick on a guy who could come in and contribute immediately for once instead of a project player who needs to learn. If we move him to Safety I guess the would be a learning curve?

I'd also only do it if none of Bowers, Harrison, Nabers or Odunze were available. I'm also not sure I'd take Dejean over Turner, Latu or Verse.

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Missed one.   Rock Ya-Sin drafted at the top of the 2nd round.   Pick 34.    So he was drafted high as well. 

55 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If the thought behind taking Dejean at 15 is to move him to Safety I guess I could get behind it. But, I'd like it if we used the pick on a guy who could come in and contribute immediately for once instead of a project player who needs to learn. If we move him to Safety I guess the would be a learning curve?

I'd also only do it if none of Bowers, Harrison, Nabers or Odunze were available. I'm also not sure I'd take Dejean over Turner, Latu or Verse.

I think this is why I am leaning go get proven players in FA in the secondary. Then draft offense early in draft. Then use mid rounds for depth in both sides of the ball. A WR or TE is going to be able to come in and play well right away if we use the 15th pick. Secondary might take while.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this is why I am leaning go get proven players in FA in the secondary. Then draft offense early in draft. Then use mid rounds for depth in both sides of the ball. A WR or TE is going to be able to come in and play well right away if we use the 15th pick. Secondary might take while.

Yup, I hope we get a good CB and a good FS in FA.

We need experience at CB, which is why I'm against drafting another CB when we already played two rookies this season.

We need a guy who can contribute immediately at FS - not in 3 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yup, I hope we get a good CB and a good FS in FA.

We need experience at CB, which is why I'm against drafting another CB when we already played two rookies this season.

We need a guy who can contribute immediately at FS - not in 3 years.

This is the first chance we have had in awhile to select an explosive offensive player in the first round. We need to take advantage of that. Then add that to 3 we already have that will give us a well rounded group of pass catchers. Then add Richardson and Taylor to that we could be really explosive with one more pass catcher. There should be a CB and safety in FA that are proven we can get and get.

Another reason I am against drafting an edge with that 15th pick. It probably won’t help them this coming season. It would be for the future. We need to sign FA and draft like we are in win now mode. The nfl is not win later league. Probably one of Ballards biggest weaknesses. We will see if that changes now he has QB and LT.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Another reason I am against drafting an edge with that 15th pick. It probably won’t help them this coming season. It would be for the future. We need to sign FA and draft like we are in win now mode. The nfl is not win later league. Probably one of Ballards biggest weaknesses. We will see if that changes now he has QB and LT.

Offensive skill players taken in the first round bust all the time. And a significant percentage of those who are successful in the NFL are not highly productive as rookies. The idea that anyone we draft at #15 is going to be an immediate producer is flawed, IMO. Every draft pick should be more about the future than it is about their first year impact.

Also, the Chiefs drafted Rashee Rice at #55. He had more catches and receiving yards than all six WRs who got drafted ahead of him. Not that he's better than all of them, but a player doesn't have to be drafted in the first round to be a contributor as a rookie.

• Like 1

@Smonroe

You made a comment in another thread about Steichen bringing accountability, and connected it to his possible influence on the draft. I didn't want to derail that thread pulling at this string, but wanted to ask you about that. 

What level of influence do you think Steichen should have on the draft? Do you think it should be greater than other HCs we've had? What do you think Steichen brings to the process that would be an added value?

I'm not looking to be argumentative, but I've seen this sentiment expressed in various ways lately, and I want to explore it further. 

Steichen should have enormous influence on the draft.  Maybe not defensive players but definitely on the offense.

I have the feeling Steichen will lean on his experience with Philadelphia and go get us a Devonte Smith.

• Like 1

Since the offensive coach will be the one who works with those players I do think he should have big say on the players we draft, especially offensively. But I still think our scouting department and the GM should have influence on who we take where. Sure, Steichen can tell you the types of players and skillsets he wants to add... or hell even specific players he likes, but IMO the FO and Ballard still have to do their jobs and put those players in ranges that they consider representative of their talents. In other words - you don't want to draft a 4th round type talent in the second because the coach really liked him in those 3 cut ups he saw.

There should still be delineation of duties and responsibilities, even if some of those overlap in some areas. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think we need to draft a good back up for AR in case he gets injured again, hoping not but chances are he will according to his style of play.   Secondly, maybe the defense could use some upgrade, especially if our defense i.e., Stewart may seek to play elsewhere.

I think a pick for a QB in the later rounds may make sense

I personally want Minshew back as a backup for another year, but I very high doubts in Sam E. (QB3)

In 2025, the QB that we draft in the 6th or 7th round could become QB2

46 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Steichen should have enormous influence on the draft.  Maybe not defensive players but definitely on the offense.

I have the feeling Steichen will lean on his experience with Philadelphia and go get us a Devonte Smith.

Do you think he should have any more influence than your typical offensive HC? And how much influence do you think he had on the Devonta Smith draft pick? 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Offensive skill players taken in the first round bust all the time. And a significant percentage of those who are successful in the NFL are not highly productive as rookies. The idea that anyone we draft at #15 is going to be an immediate producer is flawed, IMO. Every draft pick should be more about the future than it is about their first year impact.

Also, the Chiefs drafted Rashee Rice at #55. He had more catches and receiving yards than all six WRs who got drafted ahead of him. Not that he's better than all of them, but a player doesn't have to be drafted in the first round to be a contributor as a rookie.

Most WR now can have an impact right away. This isn’t ten years ago. Heck pierce and Pittman had good rookie seasons. I never said they would be at their ceilings but 600 yards on top of what we have would make us more dangerous right away. I don’t feel like that with a secondary or dline player at 15. Now maybe if we were picking too 6 or 7 but not at 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Since the offensive coach will be the one who works with those players I do think he should have big say on the players we draft, especially offensively. But I still think our scouting department and the GM should have influence on who we take where. Sure, Steichen can tell you the types of players and skillsets he wants to add... or hell even specific players he likes, but IMO the FO and Ballard still have to do their jobs and put those players in ranges that they consider representative of their talents. In other words - you don't want to draft a 4th round type talent in the second because the coach really liked him in those 3 cut ups he saw.

There should still be delineation of duties and responsibilities, even if some of those overlap in some areas. 

Steichen was a big influence on us taking Richardson. I am sure he will have a big say in any offensive players we get in the off season. It’s his offense and they have to fit it.