Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Between that and the tackling, I eliminated him from consideration by the Colts a long time ago. Was just thinking whether BBZ sees him as the kind of guy who can fill the role he wants.

Yeah, I have to be honest and admit I haven't even watched a ton of him, but once I saw the arm length, just decided it's a waste of time. I can imagine some of the top CBs with arms that get close to 32"(Arnold, Mitchell, DeJean) being an exception Ballard would make, but at 30.5" it just feels very un-Ballard-like pick. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not that far fetched.

Probably better odds of that happening, than most the stuff posted around here 

I would say my odds as I sit here now.

60% trade back

35% stay put 

05% trade up

What is also plausible about it is that it sticks to Ballard's value system.  Drafts a FS, ILB, DL and OL, and rolls another season with the young Corners and Receivers.

Just now, DougDew said:

What is also plausible about it is that it sticks to Ballard's value system.  Drafts a FS, ILB, DL and OL, and rolls another season with the young Corners and Receivers.

I need the sad/crying react emoji because getting no receivers or corners in this draft would be devastating lol.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't know how the 4 picks would work out and not trying to crunsh your dream sceni here.

Bottom line is we would be getting (4) top 82 players to round out some of these positional groups out would be nice.

Trade to #22 and I think it would look like this

WR/CB

WR/CB/LB

CB/S/OL

CB/S/OL

• Like 1

What are yall thoughts on trading down a few spots or picking at 15 then trading back up in the end of the 1st somewhere between 25-32?!

say ended up with bowers at 15 and Dejean was there at like 27 or something like that or another player of his caliber would yall be will to trade up?

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'd rather trade for MHJ, but I see him as a generational prospect... something others might disagree with and reasonable people can disagree on this one. About whether I would do it... I think I said earlier in another thread that I personally would probably wait for Minny/Broncos/Raiders to trade up to 3/4 and and then try to trade up for the pick after, because I feel like this would lower the cost. BUT... in this specific hypothetical... I will wince hard... and I'd probably do it. 

About why MHJ and not JJ... because the cost of MHJ is just the picks and rookie contract. The cost of JJ is the picks... +30M+ a year salary. You can do A TON with 23-24M(the difference in salary) a year for the next 4-5 years... and I think MHJ is very low risk prospect. In essence I think the difference in $$ is well worth taking the risk. Hell if worst comes to worst(MHJ is complete and total bust, that you cannot even play - not gonna happen), you can pay the 23-25M in savings for a Pittman/Ridley level receiver in the FA to soften the blow. 

Third option is just stay at #15 and take a WR there. Which is probably what I would do.

By the way, where did you wind up on AD Mitchell? How do you stack him, Worthy, and BTJ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

DeJean IMO is fast-...ish and explosive-...ish but IMO he looks stiff on tape. That's not to say Ballard wouldn't like him. I think he fits a lot of the things Ballard likes in his corners... except for the arm length... 

I didnt see his arm length 

Is he a Trex?  :)

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Broncos will draft him. I was hoping they would draft a QB.

If the Broncos pass on drafting a QB because they have Zach Wilson... yikes.

I don't think that influences their draft plans. I hope not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Third option is just stay at #15 and take a WR there. Which is probably what I would do.

That's another good option and I'd be OK with that too, but I'd probably be tempted by MHJ... and I know in a lot of cases it doesn't make sense mathematically... but... he's one of those players for me where I'd make an exception. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the way, where did you wind up on AD Mitchell? How do you stack him, Worthy, and BTJ?

There are some rumors about AD Mitchell not wowing NFL people in his meetings, about him being... for a lack of a better word - a diva... I cannot speak on that and I don't know how much of that is true and how much of that is a problem even if true. I really like him... I think purely talent-wise, he's probably more talented than BTJ, but I still have BTJ above him, just seems more consistent and reliable. I like Ricky Pearsall a lot too. And Worthy is somewhere in that range too... If I had to tier them:

---------- game changers

MHJ

Nabers

---------- great talent

Odunze

--------- second half of R1(including 15 I guess...)

BTJ

AD 

-------- R2

Pearsall

Ladd

Worthy

Leggette

Burton

Polk

-------R3+

Malik Washington

Troy Franklin

Roman Wilson

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I didnt see his arm length 

Is he a Trex?  :)

He's not but he's not super long either. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

We need to draft worthy. He is the next tyreek Hill. His speed truly jumps off the tape especially  after watching  adonai  Mitchell  beforehand.  Mitchell  is a more polished  route runner, but his top end speed doesn't  compare. Plus worthy is better at yards after the catch. Pair him with Richardson  arm and continue to improve his  route running  and it will be like manning to Harrison. 

Worthy cannot contest for 50/50 balls. He brings as specific skill set. The scary thing about Worthy. If you go down the top 10 of receivers who have posted below 4.3, their success rate in the NFL is notta!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's another good option and I'd be OK with that too, but I'd probably be tempted by MHJ... and I know in a lot of cases it doesn't make sense mathematically... but... he's one of those players for me where I'd make an exception. 

Would you do the same for Nabers?

For me, it's just against my religion, so to speak. I'm really leaning hard into this belief that falling in love with a so-called generational prospect is the best way to misappropriate draft capital. It's hard for me to value an unproven player at that level, and it's hard to justify the risk when it's not a QB. I'd love to have MHJ, but that's a lot of value... If you want to give up a third or fourth rounder to move up 3-4 spots in the first, have at it. Moving that kind of capital for one guy goes against all the principles of good drafting. 

And none of that really matters if you're right.

There are some rumors about AD Mitchell not wowing NFL people in his meetings, about him being... for a lack of a better word - a diva... I cannot speak on that and I don't know how much of that is true and how much of that is a problem even if true. I really like him... I think purely talent-wise, he's probably more talented than BTJ, but I still have BTJ above him, just seems more consistent and reliable. I like Ricky Pearsall a lot too. And Worthy is somewhere in that range too... If I had to tier them:

On Mitchell, check out what I linked the other day. You might have seen it already, he has diabetes, and that probably contributes to his moodiness. Not trying to excuse it, but it might be something that's manageable, as opposed to him just being a jerk. Teams definitely have to work through that.

Mitchell is more of a five-tool prospect, where BTJ has more high end explosive traits, but not as well rounded. I like them both. BTJ is more of a mid first rounder, and Mitchell probably in the 20s (maybe later, depending on how teams see the character stuff). 

I like your tiers. I'm not a big fan of Worthy, I just can't get there with him. I thought you had him closer to BTJ/Mitchell. Same for Polk, I wanted to like him, but he's inconsistent catching the ball, and it seems like he can be erased from the gameplan by a bad matchup, so I see him as more of a slot. There are other guys that are slot prospects, and don't scratch the itch for a good outside/deep threat WR. 

@Superman BTW, with Worthy... I think I love the fit with the Colts and Steichen more than I like him as a player in general, so even though I have him as a second rounder... I can absolutely see the case for the Colts trading back in the 1st and taking him in the 20s. I think he's precisely what we need and what we are missing for Steichen's offense specifically with AR. 

Just imagine AR with JT in the backfield which should already be a problem for opponents... Now imagine you add Worthy in motion, this will create such huge headaches for the defense ... And I do think Steichen is actually a believer in at snap motion. He went from bottom 3 in at snap motion % in Philly's offense the last 2 years(and they ended up being dead last this year) to no. 11 with the Colts when he got his own gig. This is a huge departure and IMO it show a specific belief and specific philosophical approach we can pinpoint and Worthy is quite possibly the most dangerous player in that type of role in this draft... and add the vertical dimension he provides and we are missing and I think the fit is pretty clear. 

• Like 1

The Colts need another playmaker or two and Ballard is in a perfect spot to move up and get one.  He now has his quarterback and coach and cap space.  There is no need to trade back and throw more darts.  Those days should be over.  He’s guaranteed a very good player just by staying at 15.   He should take advantage of his draft slot this year and draft a potential playmaker.  Moving up makes even more sense.  I think this is the year to be aggressive not passive and move back again.  Our quarterback is on a rookie deal.  Take advantage of it.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Would you do the same for Nabers?

To some degree... but I would be willing to give up less for him and I would only do it AFTER I've lost on MHJ(so again... presumably the cost would be lower one pick later and with one elite prospect fewer on the board. 

For me, it's just against my religion, so to speak. I'm really leaning hard into this belief that falling in love with a so-called generational prospect is the best way to misappropriate draft capital. It's hard for me to value an unproven player at that level, and it's hard to justify the risk when it's not a QB. I'd love to have MHJ, but that's a lot of value... If you want to give up a third or fourth rounder to move up 3-4 spots in the first, have at it. Moving that kind of capital for one guy goes against all the principles of good drafting. 

I feel the same way... in like... 99.9% of the cases. And I am absolutely with you about that not being a smart move... in like... huge majority of cases. I just think every rule has exceptions... and as long as those are super rare and you don't fool yourself that you can do that every draft... or hell, even every few drafts, it should be OK. I think this is the first time I've seriously considered supporting such a move for a non-QB here.. and I've been here for how long? 6-7 years? 

And none of that really matters if you're right.

On Mitchell, check out what I linked the other day. You might have seen it already, he has diabetes, and that probably contributes to his moodiness. Not trying to excuse it, but it might be something that's manageable, as opposed to him just being a jerk. Teams definitely have to work through that.

Interesting... haven't seen that one. Thanks 

Mitchell is more of a five-tool prospect, where BTJ has more high end explosive traits, but not as well rounded. I like them both. BTJ is more of a mid first rounder, and Mitchell probably in the 20s (maybe later, depending on how teams see the character stuff). 

The thing is... what is the high end explosive trait that BTJ has and Mitchell doesn't? I will hang up and listen... Oh damn... I think I'm convincing myself to move AD above BTJ... Dammit... I think AD can be everything BTJ is... PLUS MORE. But he hasn't shown the consistency so far. So it's a bit of a projection. 

I like your tiers. I'm not a big fan of Worthy, I just can't get there with him. I thought you had him closer to BTJ/Mitchell. Same for Polk, I wanted to like him, but he's inconsistent catching the ball, and it seems like he can be erased from the gameplan by a bad matchup, so I see him as more of a slot. There are other guys that are slot prospects, and don't scratch the itch for a good outside/deep threat WR. 

That's fair enough. I get the worries with Worthy and his size... it's possible it doesn't work at all(kind of like Bryce Young)... but we've seen smaller receivers in recent years be successful in the league and I think the league is going smaller and faster in certain positions. And Worthy actually has a trump card that he can rely on. The injury concern is real though... 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

@Superman BTW, with Worthy... I think I love the fit with the Colts and Steichen more than I like him as a player in general, so even though I have him as a second rounder... I can absolutely see the case for the Colts trading back in the 1st and taking him in the 20s. I think he's precisely what we need and what we are missing for Steichen's offense specifically with AR. 

Just imagine AR with JT in the backfield which should already be a problem for opponents... Now imagine you add Worthy in motion, this will create such huge headaches for the defense ... And I do think Steichen is actually a believer in at snap motion. He went from bottom 3 in at snap motion % in Philly's offense the last 2 years(and they ended up being dead last this year) to no. 11 with the Colts when he got his own gig. This is a huge departure and IMO it show a specific belief and specific philosophical approach we can pinpoint and Worthy is quite possibly the most dangerous player in that type of role in this draft... and add the vertical dimension he provides and we are missing and I think the fit is pretty clear. 

If Steichen wants a Desean Jackson type in his offense - Worthy probably fits that mold.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He’s guaranteed a very good player just by staying at 15.   He should take advantage of his draft slot this year and draft a potential playmaker.

What if there are three playmakers left on the board who he wants equally and a team only two spots back offers to trade up. Do you take it?

Yet another team looking to move up in round 1. If Ballard is intent on trading back, he should have plenty of suitors.

From the Athletic:

Chiefs eager to trade up in first round

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — His plan for the NFL Draft remains the same. Brett Veach, the Kansas City Chiefs’ general manager, wants to make another deal, a splashy trade that he hopes will allow the reigning champions to acquire another star player.

• Like 1

I feel the same way... in like... 99.9% of the cases. And I am absolutely with you about that not being a smart move... in like... huge majority of cases. I just think every rule has exceptions... and as long as those are super rare and you don't fool yourself that you can do that every draft... or hell, even every few drafts, it should be OK. I think this is the first time I've seriously considered supporting such a move for a non-QB here.. and I've been here for how long? 6-7 years?

I get it. But that's basically saying 'I've stuck to my principles all this time, now I want to be reckless just this once.' That's fine, when it's acknowledged. But it's all about falling in love with one prospect. And since he's not a QB, the risk is not justified.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing is... what is the high end explosive trait that BTJ has and Mitchell doesn't? I will hang up and listen... Oh damn... I think I'm convincing myself to move AD above BTJ... Dammit... I think AD can be everything BTJ is... PLUS MORE. But he hasn't shown the consistency so far. So it's a bit of a projection. 

I guess you're right, their testing and size are basically the same. But BTJ has all the explosive highlights, and Mitchell played with Quinn Ewers.

That's fair enough. I get the worries with Worthy and his size... it's possible it doesn't work at all(kind of like Bryce Young)... but we've seen smaller receivers in recent years be successful in the league and I think the league is going smaller and faster in certain positions. And Worthy actually has a trump card that he can rely on. The injury concern is real though... 

That's it. He's an extreme outlier, but at least he has a physical trait to make up for it. Bryce Young's compensating trait was supposed to be his processing, but it's not a physical trait, and it's still a projection. At least with Worthy we know he can run fast.

There's just one size comp, and he just got $25m/year, so it can work. And just like with Mitchell, his QB was a problem. You've projected him into Steichen's scheme, and I can't argue with your viewpoint there. I just don't see the proficiency from him, and while I'm adjusting my preferences with WRs, I still like to see some technical stuff.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Worthy cannot contest for 50/50 balls. He brings as specific skill set. The scary thing about Worthy. If you go down the top 10 of receivers who have posted below 4.3, their success rate in the NFL is notta!!

If you draft worthy it is for his game changing  speed not 50/50 balls. Pittman  and pierce are for those. Worthy is the home run guy that can score from anywhere on the field.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Between that and the tackling, I eliminated him from consideration by the Colts a long time ago. Was just thinking whether BBZ sees him as the kind of guy who can fill the role he wants. 

DeJean will get eaten alive by twitchy WR's in short yardage and at the goal line. I would look elsewhere even at 46. He is a RB. He will have his success in the NFL as he is a FB player 

The only CB that I am interested in is a 4.3's 190 lb. Don't care if he is a 4th rd development project. He has until playoffs 2025 to get his schiff together because then it's on. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get it. But that's basically saying 'I've stuck to my principles all this time, now I want to be reckless just this once.' That's fine, when it's acknowledged. But it's all about falling in love with one prospect. And since he's not a QB, the risk is not justified.

I guess you're right, their testing and size are basically the same. But BTJ has all the explosive highlights, and Mitchell played with Quinn Ewers.

That's it. He's an extreme outlier, but at least he has a physical trait to make up for it. Bryce Young's compensating trait was supposed to be his processing, but it's not a physical trait, and it's still a projection. At least with Worthy we know he can run fast.

There's just one size comp, and he just got $25m/year, so it can work. And just like with Mitchell, his QB was a problem. You've projected him into Steichen's scheme, and I can't argue with your viewpoint there. I just don't see the proficiency from him, and while I'm adjusting my preferences with WRs, I still like to see some technical stuff.

My issue with Mitchell  is although  he runs good routes he seems to go down easy and his tope end doesn't  look as impressive  as nabors, Brian Thomas jr and worthy. I watch film on Mitchell  and worthy back to back several times. Mitchell  doesn't  seem to get much yards after the catch. Worthy was taken screens to the house and running away from defenders. Mitchell  is missing  something in his game. Can he be a good wr yes, but the upside  is higher with worthy and brian thomas.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think you are underestimating Worthy's WR technical proficiency stuff. I think he's better route runner than given credit for. I think he has very sharp and crisp cuts in and out of his routes. I think even thought he's small, he actually plays much more phisical than his size would suggest.  I posted a graph a week or so ago that showed him being the receiver with most separation in this draft.  I think a ton of his problems and limitations stem from just... being small. And you will have to work around those and that's why I have him as a second rounder and not 1st... but.. yeah. If he gets jammed, he's done... if the defender is there with him at the catch point he's probably not coming away with the ball in that contested ball situation. You will have to move him across the formation, you will have to create free releases for him, you will pretty much never want to put him at X where defenders can put their hands on him before he's even made a step or two... but I think he can be really dangerous and dynamic player if you have a creative offensive coach that can use his strengths and try not to put him in compromising positions where his weaknesses are highlighted. IF we draft him, I have no doubt Steichen will have a good plan and idea about how to use him.

19 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yet another team looking to move up in round 1. If Ballard is intent on trading back, he should have plenty of suitors.

From the Athletic:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — His plan for the NFL Draft remains the same. Brett Veach, the Kansas City Chiefs’ general manager, wants to make another deal, a splashy trade that he hopes will allow the reigning champions to acquire another star player.

If chiefs  trade up for worthy it is over for rest of nfl.

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

My issue with Mitchell  is although  he runs good routes he seems to go down easy and his tope end doesn't  look as impressive  as nabors, Brian Thomas jr and worthy. I watch film on Mitchell  and worthy back to back several times. Mitchell  doesn't  seem to get much yards after the catch. Worthy was taken screens to the house and running away from defenders. Mitchell  is missing  something in his game. Can he be a good wr yes, but the upside  is higher with worthy and brian thomas.

Yeah Mitchell averaged 3.2 YAC. which ranked #448 in the nation.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I think you are underestimating Worthy's WR technical proficiency stuff. I think he's better route runner than given credit for. I think he has very sharp and crisp cuts in and out of his routes. I think even thought he's small, he actually plays much more phisical than his size would suggest. I think a ton of his problems and limitations stem from just... being small. And you will have to work around those and that's why I have him as a second rounder and not 1st... but.. yeah. If he gets jammed, he's done... if the defender is there with him at the catch point he's probably not coming away with the ball in that contested ball situation. You will have to move him across the formation, you will have to create free releases for him, you will pretty much never want to put him at X where defenders can put their hands on him before he's even made a step or two... but I think he can be really dangerous and dynamic player if you have a creative offensive coach that can use his strengths and try not to put him in compromising positions where his weaknesses are highlighted. IF we draft him, I have no doubt Steichen will have a good plan and idea about how to use him. 

Worthy pair with Richardson  arm would be a nightmare  for rest of nfl. If Chiefs get him the entire  league  will regret letting  it happen.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Depends on how you're using him. If you're using him how they did at Texas it may work out better. A lot of quick hitters, screens, in the slot, out of bunch formation and what not to go along with your deep shots. Continue using Pierce as the primary deep threat for the contested catches.. I'm not all the way sure I take Worthy in Rd 1 though. Maybe later in Rd 1, but I say 2

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Depends on how you're using him. If you're using him how they did at Texas it may work out better. A lot of quick hitters, screens, in the slot, out of bunch formation and what not to go along with your deep shots. Continue using Pierce as the primary deep threat for the contested catches.. I'm not all the way sure I take Worthy in Rd 1 though. Maybe later in Rd 1, but I say 2

Again worthy is so fast he is not being used for contested catches. He is the type of guy that will have elite separation a d score. If you use him for contested catches you not using  him right

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Maybe that's it for me. There's a pop on screen with the other guys, and I don't see it in the downfield stuff with Mitchell. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think you are underestimating Worthy's WR technical proficiency stuff. I think he's better route runner than given credit for. I think he has very sharp and crisp cuts in and out of his routes. I think even thought he's small, he actually plays much more phisical than his size would suggest. I think a ton of his problems and limitations stem from just... being small. And you will have to work around those and that's why I have him as a second rounder and not 1st... but.. yeah. If he gets jammed, he's done... if the defender is there with him at the catch point he's probably not coming away with the ball in that contested ball situation. You will have to move him across the formation, you will have to create free releases for him, you will pretty much never want to put him at X where defenders can put their hands on him before he's even made a step or two... but I think he can be really dangerous and dynamic player if you have a creative offensive coach that can use his strengths and try not to put him in compromising positions where his weaknesses are highlighted. IF we draft him, I have no doubt Steichen will have a good plan and idea about how to use him. 

That's possible, you've likely watched Worthy more than I have at this point. But some of the things I still value from a technical standpoint include being strong at the catch point, and stacking the defender when the ball is in the air, and I don't see that from him.

I forgot to mention earlier, Steichen has definitely adopted the motion stuff into his offense, and that would be absolutely necessary for Worthy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here are a few more Reception Perception charts for the WRs:

AD Mitchell:

GLOUE_TWUAAGobU?format=jpg&name=360x360GLOUFABWcAAIC_R?format=jpg&name=360x360

Jermaine Burton:

GLaJRRfXYAAQA1L?format=png&name=largeGLaJRReWQAAPTJo?format=png&name=large

Javon Baker:

GLxwuvQWsAA0_iU?format=jpg&name=largeGLxwuxPWMAAt0tE?format=jpg&name=large

Ja'Lynn Polk:

GLxwwaXWMAAk1fX?format=jpg&name=largeGLxwwbSWAAAPXMj?format=jpg&name=large

I'm not impressed  with those guys they don't  pass the eye test

25 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

From the Athletic:

Don't want to drop down that far personally. Deal would probably have to look something like this though.

Chiefs rec: #15

Colts rec: #32, #64, #95 and 2025 2nd/ or 3rd

Would have #32, #46, #64, #82, #95, #117

And an extra 2025 day 2 pick 

Not saying I would do it, just checking out what it might look.

• Like 2