Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Since we are just killing time at this point here’s a trade idea to kick around.  Trade our entire draft ,all seven picks, to the Cardinals and draft Harrison.  Ala the Ricky Williams trade years ago.  Point being we have all 25 starters returning and the depth right now is good actually for the most part.  Then we use UDFA along with the waiver wire at cutdowns and our cap space to sign a FA or two to supplement our current roster for this year.  That’s a lot of draft capital for moving back 11 spots and we get Harrison.  Seems like a win win to me.  Maybe offer up Pierce as well if needed.  Given our current roster circumstances I think it could work.

It’s not happy hour yet… 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Regarding Worthy -4.21 Speed has to be accounted for by a defense whether the ball is coming his way or not. So does that potentially create more opportunities for other Colt offensive playmakers.  I would say yes.

I am sure the Colts have taken note of the impact of Tank Dell 5'10 165ibs (709 yds) on the Texans offense in his rookie year. If it helps take advantage of AR's physical tools and unlocks part of the Colts offensive playbook I am all for it.

He is a quick twitch football player and not just a track guy. He is third all time in longhorn history with TD catches in 26 of 39 games, and has caught a pass in all 39 games.

I’m sure they also took note of Sneed throwing TY hill around like a rag doll in the playoffs. 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

There aren't a lot of them to talk about. Of the handful of WR prospects in the sub 4.3 range, Henry Ruggs is probably the best player. He ran 4.27, and was doing well halfway through his second season, but we know how that ended.

The best overall player in that range is Champ Bailey, who ran 4.28 back in 1999, and had a great career. Second best is Chris Johnson, who ran a 4.24, and had a strong career as well. So being fast isn't a curse, nor is it disqualifying.

We already know that being fast doesn't make him a good player.

What about randy moss

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's a good list to follow for the Colts draft in general, not just for the 15th pick... players with the highest RAS in the draft:

Who feels like paring this down even further? Arm length, height, weight, etc... 

Theo Johnson is an example of someone who tests well, but his athleticism doesn't show up on tape all that much. I didn't watch a ton of him, but from what I did watch, I didn't see an explosive athlete.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Cooper Dejean went to South Dakota State? Hmmmm

Huh? No... it's 2 separate tables that here show one next to the other so you see the school of the player on the row from table 1 and the name of the player on the same row from table 2. Just open the tween and see the full lists... actually ... here they are:

GL3dZoIXAAAQ5WV?format=jpg&name=large

GL3dclmXUAEjLXU?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I don’t get the hype for worthy. He’s being over hyped because of his speed.

He had a pretty good career at Texas.  I don't think the end of the first is over hyping him at all

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Who feels like paring this down even further? Arm length, height, weight, etc... 

Theo Johnson is an example of someone who tests well, but his athleticism doesn't show up on tape all that much. I didn't watch a ton of him, but from what I did watch, I didn't see an explosive athlete.

Yeah, I think you can cut down the list even further, but it's a good starting point. Ballard's last few drafts have been with average RAS of 9.5 or something of the sort. (2022 - 9.63, 2023 - 9.48)

I'm not sure we can completely eliminate some players because of lack of length but we definitely can emphasize some with great length at certain positions - DL, LB, CB... Ballard has a history of drafting high arm length prospects at thsoe positions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Huh? No... it's 2 separate tables that here show one next to the other so you see the school of the player on the row from table 1 and the name of the player on the same row from table 2. Just open the tween and see the full lists... actually ... here they are:

Ok, now I want Storm Duck.   Berman would have had a field day with that one

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m sure they also took note of Sneed throwing TY hill around like a rag doll in the playoffs. 

Still. it would be hard to find anyone who would disagree that Hill changes the way defenses are aligned and accounted for on every snap. It would be good to see Taylor not facing a loaded box because of an over the top deep threat on the outside. I am not looking only at the individual player. I am looking at it from the perspective of its positive impact on the entire offense. i think drafting a legitimate burner on the outside would be one the best possible outcomes of this draft for the Colts.

19 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

No doubt Ballard likes Mitchell's 9.98 RAS. I also recently read where Bob McGinn a longtime beat writer for the Packers spoke to scouts about Mitchell. Some Scouts raised concerns to him about his Maturity, Coachability, and his Health. ( I also read His Diabetes may have played a role in some of this.) One scout said he almost uncoachable. I did not think he would be up there on Ballard's board.

Not sure what went on at Texas but Mitchell was the model player at Georgia.  He was very coachable.

Kirby Smart runs a very tight ship and uncoachable players would find themselves on the bench or transferring out.

As far as his maturity level, he left Georgia to go to Texas to be closer to his infant daughter.  That tells me alot about his maturity.

The diabetes issue can be treated so that is really a non factor.

• Like 1

Oh, to be able to keep #15

Trade #46 and 2025 2nd/ or 2025 3rd for Aiyuk...

We got all the pieces to make it work, even Pierce if they want. Good relationship with team.

Not likely, but would be nice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Not sure what went on at Texas but Mitchell was the model player at Georgia.  He was very coachable.

Kirby Smart runs a very tight ship and uncoachable players would find themselves on the bench or transferring out.

As far as his maturity level, he left Georgia to go to Texas to be closer to his infant daughter.  That tells me alot about his maturity.

Yes, As much time as Ballard talks about and appears to invest in character traits - I am sure he knows the real facts surrounding Mitchell.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's a good list to follow for the Colts draft in general, not just for the 15th pick... players with the highest RAS in the draft:

Is RAS established from the combine?    There are a lot of players I would have expected to be on there that are not. I assume they are not there because they didn't work out???

I don't know much about this stuff

Quite possibly one of the happiest moments of my life.  Dawgs were losing in the National Championship game.  Georgia on their way to losing 8 straight to Alabama and then this happened....

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Still. it would be hard to find anyone who would disagree that Hill changes the way defenses are aligned and accounted for on every snap. It would be good to see Taylor not facing a loaded box because of an over the top deep threat on the outside. I am not looking only at the individual player. I am looking at it from the perspective of its positive impact on the entire offense. i think drafting a legitimate burner on the outside would be one the best possible outcomes of this draft for the Colts.

im not arguing necessarily against him. But I don’t like him over several players that could/should be available at 15. 

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I think you can cut down the list even further, but it's a good starting point. Ballard's last few drafts have been with average RAS of 9.5 or something of the sort. (2022 - 9.63, 2023 - 9.48)

I'm not sure we can completely eliminate some players because of lack of length but we definitely can emphasize some with great length at certain positions - DL, LB, CB... Ballard has a history of drafting high arm length prospects at thsoe positions. 

Hoping Ballard does not lean too far into the RAS/Potential players that have marginal college production. 

Looking forward to a Colts draft that  is full of players with proven, Football IQ, Instincts, and on field production results to go along with good athletic traits.

17 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Is RAS established from the combine?    There are a lot of players I would have expected to be on there that are not. I assume they are not there because they didn't work out???

I don't know much about this stuff

It's from the combine and verified pro day numbers if there are missing combine numbers. You need to have some number of tests and measurements in order to have a RAS score so maybe the players you assumed would be there didn't test... 

Who did you think would be there but isn't? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's from the combine and verified pro day numbers if there are missing combine numbers. You need to have some number of tests and measurements in order to have a RAS score so maybe the players you assumed would be there didn't test... 

Who did you think would be there but isn't? 

Not really have specific player.  MHJ.     Some of the more talked about players. etc      Harrison didn't do the combine but wasnt sure about a pro day.   Just curious 

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Not really have specific player.  MHJ.     Some of the more talked about players. etc      Harrison didn't do the combine but wasnt sure about a pro day.   Just curious 

Yah, MHJ didn't test at any point during the off-season. He pretty much said after the season that he will be preparing for real football rather than underwear olympics and that he thinks his career is better served this way and if teams have questions about his athleticism they can watch his tape. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

im not arguing necessarily against him. But I don’t like him over several players that could/should be available at 15. 

Gotcha ya,  I don't think the Colts should draft him at 15 either. I was more looking at it if Ballard trades back he could be a viable option for the "Type" of player the Colts need on their roster going forward. I agree. at #15 there are several players I like better also. I am still thinking Ballard takes advantage of the QB frenzy and trades back.

I should have been more clear on where he was expected to be selected.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah, MHJ didn't test at any point during the off-season. He pretty much said after the season that he will be preparing for real football rather than underwear olympics and that he thinks his career is better served this way and if teams have questions about his athleticism they can watch his tape. 

Not that it will matter in the end, but a number of scouts and front office personnel were upset with this approach. In the Athletic's GM and Coaches polling Harrison received half the votes as the best receiver in the draft. The other half voted for either Nabers or Odunze

Just now, Dobbinblitz said:

Not that it will matter in the end, but a number of scouts and front office personnel were upset with this approach. In the Athletic's GM and Coaches polling Harrison received half the votes as the best receiver in the draft. The other half voted for either Nabers or Odunze

I hope the half that like Odunze or Nabers more are all drafting ahead of us... might create some opportunities for us. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah... Richardson needs players who can separate and who can get open deep. IMO "give the inaccurate QB a contested catch receiver with large catch radius" is one of the tropes that hasn't proven to work well. Contested catches have about 50-55% success rate even with the best of contested catch receivers and with relatively accurate QBs... now if you think AR's accuracy is not good, drop that rate even more. The best way to give a relatively inaccurate QB better chance to complete passes is to give him a WR who separates and and who is open so the QB would have more of a margin for error to throw the ball a little behind or ahead or a little higher or lower than ideal. (we are not talking about uncatchable balls here... those will be uncatchable for anyone really). In that regard, one thing I would agree about is - we need WRs who have good hands and have good ball skills.

And this is ignoring that AR has indeed been pretty good with his accuracy on passes at intermediate and long range. His biggest problem coming into the league was the short stuff and he was already showing improvements in that deparment before he got injured. 

And Worthy is the WR who created the most separation from anybody in this draft : 

GK-LrJMWoAAd6ua?format=jpg&name=large

By my count there are 17 WRs on this chart.   Unless one of them has a serious health issue I’d expect all of these 17 to go in the first two days of the draft.  And maybe 2-3 more as well.  All in the first 3 rounds.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By my count there are 17 WRs on this chart.   Unless one of them has a serious health issue I’d expect all of these 17 to go in the first two days of the draft.  And maybe 2-3 more as well.  All in the first 3 rounds.   

Yeah, there are a lot of good WRs in this draft... I think even Ballard said in his presser he thinks WR is pretty deep this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

That's better...thanks

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep if you're looking for a WR or OT this is the year.-Deep and Talented.

43 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Quite possibly one of the happiest moments of my life.  Dawgs were losing in the National Championship game.  Georgia on their way to losing 8 straight to Alabama and then this happened....

I am really interested to see where Mitchell is drafted this week. Expect it to be a broadcast storyline somewhere after the first 15-18 picks

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ballard says interior line is as well. 

Some OL experts are suggesting there might be 10 starting centers in this draft... this would be insane if it happens. 

• Like 3

Just now, Trace Pyott said:

Based on our spot in draft, our needs, and ballards liking of RAS scores I predict we get cooper dejean. I wish we would get Harrison, nabers, or bowers but dejean would be cool too. 

Idk who we getting  but their ras scores ore will be high

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't think it's a non factor. It's something a team needs to consider, and determine whether his "issues" are definitely related to the diabetes, or if there's some personality stuff in there as well. I have a lot of type 1 diabetics in my life, I can tell the difference between low blood sugar and just being rude, even with the same person. Mitchell could be a diabetic and be a jerk at the same time. 

Not saying he is, just saying teams have to get to the bottom of it.