Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

35 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Ummm tyreke hill, cooper cup???????

U got me on Hill, and they traded him and won how many more have they won without it?  Kupp is not elite. It's a system they run in LA. My issue is this. I bet if u look at the teams with the greatest play off success. It's starts at the premium positions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U got me on Hill, and they traded him and won how many more have they won without it?  Kupp is not elite. It's a system they run in LA. My issue is this. I bet if u look at the teams with the greatest play off success. It's starts at the premium positions.

What do you consider a premium position? What do you consider elite at wr??   We recently used a 6th over all pick on a guard.    Btw I could find many more examples of elite or former elite receivers to win super bowls recently.  Antonio brown, gronk (TE) etc.   We won a Super Bowl with Reggie Wayne.   Having Reggie, and Marvin and all the games we won because of them should show you the importance of WR especially with a pass happy league.  
Having as many weapons for our brand new Qb is huge. He needs to build his confidence now. As he goes we go.  If he starts off terrible he will lose all confidence in his game and be ruined.  I would say that’s more important than any other one player would be since qb is such a huge position. 

Btw , im not saying picking wr or trading back for anyone in this draft is the smartest idea. I was just saying it would be cool and a great story that MAY just work.   Football is about entertainment most of all and it would be entertaining and a great story to see Marvin’s son grow up on the football field in front of us. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Kupp is not elite?  The Rams say hello!  

They made Kupp the 6th or 7th highest paid WR in football when he got his big contract.  So the Rams believe he’s elite.  If they didn’t, they would’ve traded him to a team who thinks Kupp is elite and would give up valuable assets to get him.   That hasn’t happened, because the Rams think he’s elite.   Hello?!   

This isn’t the first time you’ve made this argument.  It’s pretty much been crushed both times now.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kupp is not elite?  The Rams say hello!  

They made Kupp the 6th or 7th highest paid WR in football when he got his big contract.  So the Rams believe he’s elite.  If they didn’t, they would’ve traded him to a team who thinks Kupp is elite and would give up valuable assets to get him.   That hasn’t happened, because the Rams think he’s elite.   Hello?!   

This isn’t the first time you’ve made this argument.  It’s pretty much been crushed both times now.   

Just so happens a no name was Elite for the Rams last season.

Stafford is what makes both of them so extremely effective. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just so happens a no name was Elite for the Rams last season.

Stafford is what makes both of them so extremely effective. 

I’m not dismissing how much Stafford helps the offense.   By the way, the no-name was a 5th round rookie.  Puca Nakoa is no longer a no-name.  

But I doubt you’re going to try and make the argument that neither Marvin Harrison Sr nor Reggie Wayne wouldn’t have been Hall of Fame players without Peyton Manning?   At least, I hope not.   I think your argument paints yourself into a corner.   But you might disagree. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adubb84 said:

He wants to play HERE. A man can dream yeah? 

MHJ: Do you hear me Mr. Irsay? Chris? Anybody here in Indy? Please save me from having to play for the Cardinals... or oh damn... god forbid... the... ewwwwwwwww... :puke:Patriots..

If Ballard somehow manages to do this... I swear I will stop moaning about him neglecting the receiving weapons for at least... 2 years... 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, stitches said:

MHJ: Do you hear me Mr. Irsay? Chris? Anybody here in Indy? Please save me from having to play for the Cardinals... or oh damn... god forbid... the... ewwwwwwwww... :puke:Patriots..

If Ballard somehow manages to do this... I swear I will stop moaning about him neglecting the receiving weapons for at least... 2 years... 

I’m not sure how I would act if we pulled this off! Elated would be a gross understatement. Maybe he can pull a Eli or Elway and demand that he wants to play here instead 😁

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Which teams in the top might be a willing partner for such a move?  Cardinals?  

I just too another look. We would HAVE to be in the Cardinals spot. I don’t think he isn’t making it past the Giants. 

• Like 2

I think it'd take at least our first and second rounders this year and a first next year to get AZ on the phone.  Not even sure that'd be enough for them to drop to 15.  I'd put it at roughly .000000000000000001% chance Ballard would be willing to part with that for one player lol.  A fan can dream though!

• Like 2

Still debating  whether  we should go wr or cb first. I think impact players at both positions will be there in the 1st and 2nd. I truly  love the idea of getting  a speedster who can separate  and catch for Richardson  to make full use of his arm, but have a shut down corner would help as well. If only we could get both. Bowers  pick would be a luxury  pick as we still need an upgrade  at wr as I don't  want to start this season  without  a wr that can push pierce

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Still debating  whether  we should go wr or cb first. I think impact players at both positions will be there in the 1st and 2nd. I truly  love the idea of getting  a speedster who can separate  and catch for Richardson  to make full use of his arm, but have a shut down corner would help as well. If only we could get both. Bowers  pick would be a luxury  pick as we still need an upgrade  at wr as I don't  want to start this season  without  a wr that can push pierce

WR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

I just too another look. We would HAVE to be in the Cardinals spot. I don’t think he isn’t making it past the Giants. 

Right number 4.

Although I've heard that the giants are taking a Qb

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I think it would take this years 15th, next years 1st round pick, and perhaps throw in Pierce. That might do it, but Ballard would never do it. Giving up 2 1st round picks would suck but for Marvin I would do it and Pierce would help the deal because Pierce has potential and isn't bad.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, adubb84 said:

He wants to play HERE. A man can dream yeah? 

Keep the dream alive, but I feel compelled to state that this is Big 10 media day, and the Big 10 championship game always takes place at LOS, so that's probably what MHJ was talking about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

An elite WR would provide the best overall impact the team at this point. Not only would it give AR another weapon, it would help Pittman and Taylor.

It would go a long way towards keeping defenses honest by not cheating the line of scrimmage and loading the box with regularity -that we have seen in the past few seasons.  If we are measuring potential impact to team, not sure a CB selection could match this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Keep the dream alive, but I feel compelled to state that this is Big 10 media day, and the Big 10 championship game always takes place at LOS, so that's probably what MHJ was talking about.

Yeah, that could be but when he said I would rather be playing here still gave me goose bumps. If trade up to get him, I will never say another bad thing about Ballard as I long as I live. 

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, that could be but when he said I would rather be playing here still gave me goose bumps. If trade up to get him, I will never say another bad thing about Ballard as I long as I live. 

Yeah, yall just don't hold your breath. Can't have all our Colts fanbase passing out while waiting for us to draft MHJ...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

An elite WR would provide the best overall impact the team at this point. Not only would it give AR another weapon, it would help Pittman and Taylor.

It would go a long way towards keeping defenses honest by not cheating the line of scrimmage and loading the box with regularity -that we have seen in the past few seasons.  If we are measuring potential impact to team, not sure a CB selection could match this.

I agree for the most part, but an elite cb can lock down one whole side of the field. I guess it depends  on who is the better prospect  at their position 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want MHJ too and Irsay might until he sees the price is 15, next years 1st and probably this or next years second.  

If he's as good as his father the trade would be well worth it

I think 1st round picks are severely overrated. If you have very high confidence in a player then go up and get him. Especially if you think the team is good enough to be towards the bottom of the draft order the following year. If all it took was two 1s and a 2 to move up to get him pull that trigger all day everyday. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I agree for the most part, but an elite cb can lock down one whole side of the field. I guess it depends  on who is the better prospect  at their position 

Yep it’s a good debate for sure. I just hate seeing the run game stifled in part due to a lack of a deep threat. And, this coming from a guy who loves defense first.

22 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I think 1st round picks are severely overrated. If you have very high confidence in a player then go up and get him. Especially if you think the team is good enough to be towards the bottom of the draft order the following year. If all it took was two 1s and a 2 to move up to get him pull that trigger all day everyday. 

I agree that first rounders get overvalued at times. But I think part of that is people/teams viewing first rounders as if they are surefire playmakers on your roster, when in reality even teams that do a good job in the draft miss on first rounders all the time.

And that's why the bolded doesn't seem like best practice either. You can talk yourself into any player. I think trading up in the first round is very risky. I'm not totally against it, but generally speaking, the best way to maximize your drafting is to maximize your total picks, not to concentrate all your draft capital into one selection. If your confidence in that one player is misplaced, you've now sunk two firsts and a second into a mistake.

I don't strictly stick to the  traditional points chart, and neither do teams, but I want to use the points just to illustrate my point. Pick #4 is worth 1,800 points. We have #15 which is worth 1,050 points, so of course you have to make up the 750 point difference. So you propose trading #15, plus the 2025 first (approx 1,000 points, potentially more or less depending on where you land next year), and the 2024 second (440 points), to get to #4. That's almost 2,500 points in draft value, in return for a pick worth 1,800 points.

My point is that you're concentrating a lot of value into one high draft pick, on the basis of your high level of conviction in one prospect, so you really need to be right, otherwise it's very costly. I personally wouldn't do this unless it was for a QB that I felt really strong about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

If he's as good as his father the trade would be well worth it

For what it’s worth…

Both NFL.com and ESPN have the Big Three WRs (Harrison, Nabors, Odunze) about equal.  Harrison is NOT viewed as clearly above the other two. 

If you value Harrison for the Colts connection family value, that’s another story.    But, ability wise, the Big Three are roughly equal. 

Just FYI….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree that first rounders get overvalued at times. But I think part of that is people/teams viewing first rounders as if they are surefire playmakers on your roster, when in reality even teams that do a good job in the draft miss on first rounders all the time.

And that's why the bolded doesn't seem like best practice either. You can talk yourself into any player. I think trading up in the first round is very risky. I'm not totally against it, but generally speaking, the best way to maximize your drafting is to maximize your total picks, not to concentrate all your draft capital into one selection. If your confidence in that one player is misplaced, you've now sunk two firsts and a second into a mistake.

I don't strictly stick to the  traditional points chart, and neither do teams, but I want to use the points just to illustrate my point. Pick #4 is worth 1,800 points. We have #15 which is worth 1,050 points, so of course you have to make up the 750 point difference. So you propose trading #15, plus the 2025 first (approx 1,000 points, potentially more or less depending on where you land next year), and the 2024 second (440 points), to get to #4. That's almost 2,500 points in draft value, in return for a pick worth 1,800 points.

My point is that you're concentrating a lot of value into one high draft pick, on the basis of your high level of conviction in one prospect, so you really need to be right, otherwise it's very costly. I personally wouldn't do this unless it was for a QB that I felt really strong about.

I definitely don’t disagree with this but ultimately I think it comes down to your appetite for risk and both strategies can work effectively. I think this is the year to trade up. What we saw from this team last year was enough to tell me with competent QB play we can be a playoff team. Get him a weapon that has a proven college track record and is a lineage player who knows exactly what it takes to make it in the NFL. 

• Like 1

It feels like it’s Dejavu time for the 49er’s and Colts right now.  The 49er’s issue with Aiyuk and Samuels reminds me of their situation four years ago with Buckner and Armstead. They traded Buckner to the Colts for pick 13 to solve it.  I wonder if Ballard would be tempted to call and see if a trade for Aiyuk could work out for both teams again.  He’s set to play on the 5th year option so his extension could wait for a year.  I know he wants the extension but he might just have to play on the option this year no matter where he ends up if he is traded.  If the Colts are really considering moving up for Nabors trading for Aiyuk would undoubtedly cost less.  I know the rookie contract is cheaper but Aiyuk is a proven NFL playmaker.  Interesting option none the less.

Interesting the Patriots are bringing Penix in for a visit. Makes you wonder if they are open to a trade back from #3, or are not all- in on QB’s currently ranked higher QB’s. Either way, it could initiate a very active 1st round of movement.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It feels like it’s Dejavu time for the 49er’s and Colts right now.  The 49er’s issue with Aiyuk and Samuels reminds me of their situation four years ago with Buckner and Armstead. They traded Buckner to the Colts for pick 13 to solve it.  I wonder if Ballard would be tempted to call and see if a trade for Aiyuk could work out for both teams again.  He’s set to play on the 5th year option so his extension could wait for a year.  I know he wants the extension but he might just have to play on the option this year no matter where he ends up if he is traded.  If the Colts are really considering moving up for Nabors trading for Aiyuk would undoubtedly cost less.  I know the rookie contract is cheaper but Aiyuk is a proven NFL playmaker.  Interesting option none the less.

I've actually saw a couple articles talking about Aiyuk potentially being moved post draft for 2025 pick(s).

Best of both worlds?

Keep #15, trade 2025 pick?

Would be quick way for massive upgrades.

Saying that, I don't think it will happen, but you never know.

We definitely have a history with SF. 

Maybe 2025 pick and Pierce so they get immediate help at WR since they don't get a 2024 pick?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I've actually saw a couple articles talking about Aiyuk potentially being moved post draft for 2025 pick(s).

Best of both worlds?

Keep #15, trade 2025 pick?

Would be quick way for massive upgrades.

Saying that, I don't think it will happen, but you never know.

We definitely have a history with SF. 

Maybe 2025 pick and Pierce so they get immediate help at WR since they don't get a 2024 pick?

Good thought.  I was also thinking about including Kwity.  Maybe they could use an ER.  There are options I guess.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Giving up 2 1st round picks would suck but for Marvin I would do it and Pierce would help the deal because Pierce has potential and isn't bad.

I would do that in a heart beat and not worry about Pierce tbh.  Hes alright but you can find guys like him every year.  It would be funny to see Reggie waynes reaction to this, hes always been in APs corner but you know he would be pumped if we got Marvin.  That would be a dream come true for him

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

imo the nfls receiver friendly rules have made cbs second round and below only

I’m thinking we go WR back to back in rounds 1 & 2. Maybe Bowers if he’s still there. Just a feeling after hearing so much about the colts bringing in a bunch of WRs for visits. And in a deep WR draft, I’d do that in a heartbeat. 

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m thinking we go WR back to back in rounds 1 & 2. Maybe Bowers if he’s still there. Just a feeling after hearing so much about the colts bringing in a bunch of WRs for visits. And in a deep WR draft, I’d do that in a heartbeat. 

I'm actually leaning towards Ballard going EDGE in the first round more and more now. Besides Marshawn Kneeland, there doesn't seem to be any top EDGE rushers outside the first round. I could see Ballard going Latu or Verse at 15. Then he grabs a WR and CB in either order in the 2nd and 3rd round.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Aiyuk is awesome, but I am wondering if we would have so much of our cash tied to one position (WR)

• Thanks 1