Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FA Updates and News ONLY

csmopar

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure the market will shift that much where all of a sudden he gets a ton of money. He might be smart to sign another prove it deal with the colts.

I have to think Ballard gave him a very fair offer considering his particular circumstances.  Ballard always takes care of his own players.  We have seen that numerous times in the past.  So hopefully that’s the case here and after a few outside visits maybe both sides can pull together and get this done.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to think Ballard gave him a very fair offer considering his particular circumstances.  Ballard always takes care of his own players.  We have seen that numerous times in the past.  So hopefully that’s the case here and after a few outside visits maybe both sides can pull together and get this done.

Hopeful that he sees his market and it gets done. Injuries and a bloated safety market haven’t helped.

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

Episode 18 Patience GIF by Law & Order

I am happy most conversation has stayed out of here. 

Hopefully some news even if little happens within a few days.

Me too.  And we know nothing happens on the weekends.  So if nothing happens by Good Friday we might have to wait for the draft for any move of consequence.

• Like 3

So, as of today the team really needs a veteran CB and Free Safety.  They don't have to be the big ticket guys to be better than what we have out there right now.  So I fully expect those spots to be filled by the end of the month.  At least I hope that's the plan because I really want our first pick to be a receiver.

I'm not Ballard bashing, but what I don't understand is why we didn't go after any of the edge rushers.  

Is Reddick the last man standing?  We've had numerous opportunities to get Clowney, so I'm pretty sure they're not interested in him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So, as of today the team really needs a veteran CB and Free Safety.  They don't have to be the big ticket guys to be better than what we have out there right now.  So I fully expect those spots to be filled by the end of the month.  At least I hope that's the plan because I really want our first pick to be a receiver.

I'm not Ballard bashing, but what I don't understand is why we didn't go after any of the edge rushers.  

Is Reddick the last man standing?  We've had numerous opportunities to get Clowney, so I'm pretty sure they're not interested in him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-end/all/

Remaining is at the bottom, top is already signed 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

"Remaining at the bottom" sums that group up.  

The big three for a successful team are stars at QB, LT, and Edge.  I'm fairly confident we have the first two covered.  A lot of 'almosts' for that last spot.  Including a lot of draft picks that never panned out.

But I think as far as cap, with the way the Colts operate, the money will be spent on the defensive backfield.  Rightfully so.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

When he's healthy Carl Lawson is decently good. Probably slightly better than Ebukam. But he's had 3 (mostly) healthy seasons in 6. If he could be had for cheap I think he'd be worth taking a shot at as a rotational piece.

The Colts like some of their young cornerbacks and safeties, and believe JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Dallis Flowers, Nick Cross and Daniel Scott all have upside as they enter Year 2 or Year 3 in the NFL. Ballard specifically discussed those cornerbacks on Tuesday.

"No question we got work to do in the secondary still," Ballard said. "But I like our three young corners. JuJu's gotta be healthy, we gotta get Dallis back healthy, we think we will. We think JuJu will be back healthy. We think both of them are very good. I think we underestimate what Jones did. I thought Jones played really good football last year and did it against some very talented wideouts and never once backed down. He's going to continue to get better. We think these guys are going to continue to get better."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-free-agency-spending-cornerbacks-anthony-richardson-2024

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Not only is Kareem Jackson old and washed up he’s one of the dirtiest players in the NFL.

Yep. As a Broncos fan I hated him. Absolute scumbag on the field. He headhunts. Don't want him on the Colts.

• Like 2

Kareem Jackson

From Wikipedia

On May 15, 2023, Jackson re-signed with the Broncos on another one-year contract.

Jackson received a $14,819 fine for an illegal hit on Las Vegas Raiders' wide receiver Jakobi Meyers in their Week 1 game.

In a Week 2 loss to the Washington Commanders, he was ejected after an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against tight end Logan Thomas, resulting in the latter getting a concussion. His hit on Thomas resulted in a $19,669 fine.

Jackson received a third fine ($11,473) in as many games for unnecessary roughness in a Week 3 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

The league issued him a fine for $43,709, Jackson's fourth for the season, for unnecessary roughness stemming from a late hit on the Thursday Night Football loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Following his second ejection that season in a Week 7 win for a hit on Green Bay Packers' tight end Luke Musgrave ("defenseless receiver"), the NFL suspended Jackson for four games. They reduced the suspension to two games after Jackson appealed.

In his first game back from suspension, Jackson made an illegal hit on Minnesota Vikings' quarterback Joshua Dobbs. Despite not being penalized in the game, the NFL clarified that Jackson's hit was illegal due to him lowering the crown of his helmet before the hit and issued him another four-game suspension the next day.The league denied Jackson's appeal for his second suspension, upholding their original four-game sentence.

The Broncos waived Jackson on December 25.

Houston Texans (second stint)

On December 26, 2023, Jackson was claimed off waivers by the Houston Texans.

Jackson and head coach DeMeco Ryans were teammates on the Texans during the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

• Like 4

Very excited about the soon to be 36 year old Jackson. I'm surprised he's still available . I probably won't sleep until Ballard pulls the trigger on this one. 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:07 PM, krunk said:

The Colts like some of their young cornerbacks and safeties, and believe JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Dallis Flowers, Nick Cross and Daniel Scott all have upside as they enter Year 2 or Year 3 in the NFL. Ballard specifically discussed those cornerbacks on Tuesday.

"No question we got work to do in the secondary still," Ballard said. "But I like our three young corners. JuJu's gotta be healthy, we gotta get Dallis back healthy, we think we will. We think JuJu will be back healthy. We think both of them are very good. I think we underestimate what Jones did. I thought Jones played really good football last year and did it against some very talented wideouts and never once backed down. He's going to continue to get better. We think these guys are going to continue to get better."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-free-agency-spending-cornerbacks-anthony-richardson-2024

We see many coverage failures by all teams caused by miscommunication.

Certainly there are exceptional individuals that play CB but experience and intelligence are vital.

Flowers had size and 4.3's speed, and Jones was decent. Juju has potential but because of his size and speed he will always be successfully targeted. 

We are desperate for a 4.3's stud that can cover anytime, anywhere. That was Rodgers BTW. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

Very excited about the soon to be 36 year old Jackson. I'm surprised he's still available . I probably won't sleep until Ballard pulls the trigger on this one. 

I know you're joking, but I hope they do sign an older vet for a year.  They young guys have so little experience, they need guidance.  I was hoping it would have been GIlly or Nelson but there's no noise there.  I think Gilmore may be headed back to Carolina.

I'd rather sign a veteran than spend the first pick on a CB.  It's a crap shoot and we haven't had the best luck.  JuJu has yet to prove himself.  

I'm not buying the hype on Mitchell until he starts facing NFL talent.  The MAC isn't exactly a hotbed for WRs.

• Like 1

Any news on the attempted talks with Blackmon?

Worst case scenario:  we don't sign Blackmon, or any other safety FA, miss out on what few guys there are in this very non-deep safety draft, and wind up going into the season with Cross and Thomas as our best two guys.  Ewwww.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I know you're joking, but I hope they do sign an older vet for a year.  They young guys have so little experience, they need guidance.  I was hoping it would have been GIlly or Nelson but there's no noise there.  I think Gilmore may be headed back to Carolina.

I'd rather sign a veteran than spend the first pick on a CB.  It's a crap shoot and we haven't had the best luck.  JuJu has yet to prove himself.  

I think we need to sign a vet, but Jackson isn't it. Age and his dirty playstyle are non-starters for me.

JuJu definitely flashed pretty well in the limited games we saw him in. If he's healthy, I think he'll be a solid CB for us.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not buying the hype on Mitchell until he starts facing NFL talent.  The MAC isn't exactly a hotbed for WRs.

He dominated every WR at the Senior Bowl, specifically in drills that heavily skew towards WRs, often using techniques he was just really learning in the pro-bowl practices (mainly press man techniques). He dominated in the MAC and dominated at Senior Bowl practices, and with his athletic traits, he projects very well to the NFL. I see him being a dominant CB in the near future. I don't necessarily want to take a CB at 15, but I wouldn't be mad if we took Mitchell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We see many coverage failures by all teams caused by miscommunication.

Certainly there are exceptional individuals that play CB but experience and intelligence are vital.

Flowers had size and 4.3's speed, and Jones was decent. Juju has potential but because of his size and speed he will always be successfully targeted. 

We are desperate for a 4.3's stud that can cover anytime, anywhere. That was Rodgers BTW. 

BBZ, what do you mean when you say Brents will be successfully targeted because of his size and speed? Aren't those his good traits? 

**Colts FA Updates and News ONLY**

I moved the draft talk, to the #15 draft pick thread.

This thread really isn't even supposed to be for discussion, but with how slow it is, and with the FA session almost grinding to a halt. We most likely will only be making a few more moves. So it should be fine, to at least have some discussion in here about FA news/rumors. 

Keep Ballard grievances to other thread though, please.

I think there are 2 threads now, for that purpose.  The grievances thread and now, the owners meetings thread is slowly turning that way as well.

• Like 2

Hoping we bring in Micah Hyde at FS, got to be better than what we have in-house already.

Stephon Gilmore played well for the Colts and would be an immediate upgrade over Baker. 

If we have enough cap space, bring back Blackmon at SS.

Those three key pieces would help bolster our DBs and keep up competitive in our division.