Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FA Updates and News ONLY

csmopar

Since the other thread has derailed into  Ballard bashing, here’s a new one just for posting and talking about the actual signings of players in this years FA. 

please keep the Ballard campaigning or complaining to the Ballard thread. This thread is intended solely to talk about FA.

So far, the Colts have mostly resigned their own with all that cap space and are currently sitting between 16-20 million with several options to restructure or cut various players should they need too. 

https://www.colts.com/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-tracker-gardner-minshew-zack-moss-kenny-moore

Edit:

FA Refresher:

Re-signed Free Agents:

RB:Trey Sermon(1yr $1.055m)

WR: Michael Pittman(3yr $68m),  

OC: Danny Pinter

Jack Anderson (1yr $1.055m)

DE: Tyquan Lewis(2yr $12m)

Genard Avery(1yr $985k)

DT: Grover Stewart(3yr $39m)

Taven Bryan

LB: Ronnie Harrison(1yr $1.152m)

CB: Kenny Moore(3yr $30m)

P: Rigoberto Sanchez ($3yr $7.5m)

Signed with new team:

QB: Gardner Minshew(2yr $25m)

RB: Zach Moss(2yr $8m)

WR: Isaiah McKenzie

DE: Jake Martin

FA Signings:

Joe Flacco(1yr $8.7m)

Raekwon Davis(2yr $14m)

Remaining FA unsigned:

S:Julian Blackmon

Henry Black

Estimated Cap Space:

$18.3m-$18.9m

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• NFLfan changed the title to Colts FA Updates and News ONLY
8 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Please lock the other thread.  It's still being used.

If we lock it, then this one will become what the other one has become. I featured (put a star next to) this one so that if anyone wants this one, it is easier to spot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If we lock it, then this one will become what the other one has become. I featured (put a star next to) this one so that if anyone wants this one, it is easier to spot.

Yes, please leave the arguments over there. Thanks for starting this one for those of us just looking for news and updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hark said:

Yes, please leave the arguments over there. Thanks for starting this one for those of us just looking for news and updates.

It was @csmopar that started this one. I'm justing leaving the other one open.

But yes, only free agency news and updates in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other than Sneed, who would be the best guy to bring in for veteran leadership? 

I'm thinking about someone on a one or two year contract to start and mentor the younger guys.  Then draft another CB in the middle rounds. 

Maybe Nelson or even Gilmore?

Basically the same need at Safety if we don't bring Blackmon back.

33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm thinking about someone on a one or two year contract to start and mentor the younger guys.  Then draft another CB in the middle rounds. 

i have had a similar thought. Could the Colts use that remaining cap to bring in a vet CB AND FS that could help stabilize the secondary and would be good in their system?

Best Players Still Available:

Gilmore - CB

The best free-agent pickups in recent years have been excellent veterans willing to take one-year deals. Gilmore, still a plus starter, figures to be one of those guys this season. An instant upgrade for virtually any team. 

Clowney - EDGE

We've reached the section that features several veterans likely to receive one-year deals, who will probably outperform all those first-round rookies we spend months dissecting before the draft.

Blackmon - S

Blackmon was incredible as a rookie and had a career year as a playmaker in 2023, with an Achilles injury and a lost season in between. The upside is sneakily sky-high here.

Simmons - S

Thirty-year-old safeties won’t break the bank in this market, but Simmons is a surefire upgrade to many rosters. His leadership, experience and playmaking ability (he's still got enough) should warrant a multi-year deal.

Campbell - DE

If there was a Next Gen Stat combining height, versatility, longevity, leadership and low-octave range, Campbell would be confirmed as the greatest of all time.

Williams - OL

Williams would have been one of the most highly sought-after interior-line free agents if not for a torn ACL late in the 2023 season.

Nelson - CB

Nelson has turned into that guy who signs a replacement-level short-term deal, stabilizes a starting cornerback spot and then has everyone wondering why he was so inexpensive in free agency in the first place. Can it last forever?

Fulton - CB

Ranked in my top 20 (!) on the free-agent list I put together in August, Fulton had a disastrous contract year, including poor play, a benching and an injury. But when a young cornerback has put quality tape out there in the past, it’s worth gambling on a return to form.

Jackson - CB

A walking example of how cornerback play isn’t consistent year to year, Jackson’s best seasons have been excellent. Just don’t leave him on an island all season like Wink Martindale did last year.

Beckham Jr - WR

In hindsight, the Ravens might have some regrets about paying OBJ instead of DeAndre Hopkins last offseason, but Beckham proved in Baltimore he can get deep and stay healthy for a season. He just wasn’t always on the same page as Lamar Jackson and lost some playing time by the end of the year.

Dobbins - RB

Dobbins tore his Achilles in Week 1 last season, the latest in a string of significant injuries for the 25-year-old. He still has top-10 back potential if he can stay healthy, but he may not be at his best until late in the season or in 2025.

Boyd - WR

A nightmarish 2023 season likely ended Boyd’s great run with the Bengals. With a big slot skill set and a history of consistency before last year, he could be a fine buy-low candidate.

Jones - OT

Left tackle is Jones' best position, but with Laremy Tunsil locked in at that spot in Houston, Jones saw limited snaps last year. Jones is a terrific high-ceiling target for a team looking for options.

Hyde - S

Hyde, like Devin McCourty during his time in New England, has managed to quarterback a defense at a high level deep into his mid-30s.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2024-who-are-the-best-players-available

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I think we need FA FS more than anything at this stage

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 words, Justin Simmons. Ballard's last chance to make a statement. He just turned 30 so still young enough and has made 2nd team all-pro 4 times.

Amen brother. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think we need FA FS more than anything at this stage

I would say we are desperate for a smart, experienced safety to help QB our secondary. 

Surely Simmons will wait it out for a highly competitive team to sign with.

Hyde makes sense but he probably has a list of places he prefers. lol

I was sickened by the CB Baker Jr. Signing. He looked that bad to me. Oh well, prove me wrong.

T Bryan was generally not so good, But, he actually did make some good plays at 3T later in the season. He will compete for his roster spot.

I really like the splurge for Raekwon Davis. We had a big need for a quality interior rotational guy. Johnson absolutely could not hold his own inside. Playing beside Davis should make Bryan more effective. Let's hope.

• Like 5

If you do not see your post, it is because it was removed. It  was either not relevant to this thread or it quoted a post that is not relevant.

There is another free agency thread where you can post other ccomments

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

I say stay as is and wait till the draft.  

Colts resigned their own and happy with these. 

It may end up like that, but I truly hope that we don't go into the season with rookie or current FS and SS

If we get 1 or 2 FA,s we will be able to draft BPA a little bit more than trying to fill 4-5 holes with rookies

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

Just noticed the Bills signed Mike Edwards, who I believe the Colts had him round for a visit.

Also probably means they aren’t signing Blackmon then.  I wonder if his asking price is still too high.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully this means there is a Chan e Blackmon comes back.

Blackmon also visited the bills. Maybe good news for colts getting Blackmon back.

My sense is Ballard will want Cross to play this year at SS. And Harrison as backup. And we eventually sign a vet FS. Ballard traded up into the 3rd round to take Cross, I get the feeling he thinks Cross is ready now and wants to see a return on the investment made. 
Could be completely misreading if though!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

My sense is Ballard will want Cross to play this year at SS. And Harrison as backup. And we eventually sign a vet FS. Ballard traded up into the 3rd round to take Cross, I get the feeling he thinks Cross is ready now and wants to see a return on the investment made. 

I do think Cross is a better SS than FS. Him and Blackmon did work well together it seemed.  Cross though was pretty bad when Blackmon went out those last two games.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also probably means they aren’t signing Blackmon then.  I wonder if his asking price is still too high.

I thought I saw something going into the off saying he was looking for 3yr $36m deal?

That's pretty high I think.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I thinking you're reading it pretty well.

You're correct on Harrison as well, although I'm not sure what the plans are with him this year. Right now he seems to be a starting LB looking at the roster?

Ballard likes to play his guys.

Wouldn't be surprised if he will let Thomas and Scott battle it out.

I would still bring in a vet at both safety spots and I'm sure they will sometime before camp.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I do think Cross is a better SS than FS. Him and Blackmon did work well together it seemed.  Cross though was pretty bad when Blackmon went out those last two games.

I’m still worried about Cross.  He was pretty bad those last two games.  And he has been here a couple of years now.  He was also very young when he was drafted like Quincy Wilson was.    We know how that turned out.  I would rather have Blackmon back for sure.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I’m still worried about Cross.  He was pretty bad those last two games.  And he has been here a couple of years now.  He was also very young when he was drafted like Quincy Wilson was.    We know how that turned out.  I would rather have Blackmon back for sure.

I am with you. although I hope for Cross to somehow become a great safety, from the little I have seen so far, I'm not counting on that, and I believe neither are the Colts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

S:

Thomas - 43.8(72/79), 50.8(72/79), 44.5(81/85), 48.9(79/87), 47.7(77/86), 49.8(79/86), 57.2(68/84), 55.1(74/87), 54.8(76/87), 59.5(60/86), 58.4(65/88), 59.6(60/88), 58.5(68/91), 59.5(72/94), 57.7(78/97), 58(77/96), 58.2(80/99)

Cross - (NA), 60.5(NR), 61.1(NR), 61.4(NR), 61.4(NR), 61.4(NR), 60.7(NR), 66.1(NR), 66.2(NR), 66.4(NR), 85.7(NR), 79.8(NR), 82.8(NR), 90.9(NR), 88.3(NR), 83.7(NR), 71.8(25/99)

Denbow - *(inactive week 1-7), 46.3(NR), *(inactive week 9-14), 49.4(NR), 49.4(NR), 49.4(NR), 50.4(NR)

Black - *(inactive week 1-18)

Blackmon - 68.3(39/99) *IR

Scott - *IR

Cross actually ended the season our highest graded S, ranking 25th out of 99 eligible Safeties graded 

I think more than likely it is his job to lose this preseason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

S:

Thomas - 43.8(72/79), 50.8(72/79), 44.5(81/85), 48.9(79/87), 47.7(77/86), 49.8(79/86), 57.2(68/84), 55.1(74/87), 54.8(76/87), 59.5(60/86), 58.4(65/88), 59.6(60/88), 58.5(68/91), 59.5(72/94), 57.7(78/97), 58(77/96), 58.2(80/99)

Cross - (NA), 60.5(NR), 61.1(NR), 61.4(NR), 61.4(NR), 61.4(NR), 60.7(NR), 66.1(NR), 66.2(NR), 66.4(NR), 85.7(NR), 79.8(NR), 82.8(NR), 90.9(NR), 88.3(NR), 83.7(NR), 71.8(25/99)

Denbow - *(inactive week 1-7), 46.3(NR), *(inactive week 9-14), 49.4(NR), 49.4(NR), 49.4(NR), 50.4(NR)

Scott - *IR

Cross actually ended the season our highest graded S, ranking 25th out of 99 eligible Safeties graded 

I remember, at some point last season, in one of his media appearances, Ballard was asked directly, as to what was up with Cross... I cannot directly quote his response, but he explained how Cross was still struggling and learning, not able to crack into the lineup, etc. His comments did not leave me overly enthusiastic...

But yes, you are right. At this point, the job probably is his too loose, yet I could see the Colts bringing in some quality competition. 

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

S:

Scott - *IR

There were to many miscommunication errors by him.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I remember, at some point last season, in one of his media appearances, Ballard was asked directly, as to what was up with Cross... I cannot directly quote his response, but he explained how Cross was still struggling and learning, not able to crack into the lineup, etc. His comments did not leave me overly enthusiastic...

But yes, you are right. At this point, the job probably is his too loose, yet I could see the Colts bringing in some quality competition. 

Yeah I think Ballard talked about it at some point, but then after Cross started seeing the field more and more , to the point where he played enough snaps to qualify for a ranking in the last week albeit.

Yeah, like I said I fully expect a vet a FS and SS sometime before camp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Ballard also directly said safety needed upgrades.

• Like 1

This thread was supposedly started to discuss actual NEWS and FA signings, so if its inappropriate to ask this just delete it.

Does anybody actually want Blackmon back?  I get it for value, but does anybody want him starting? because that's what bringing him back at a good price will probably mean.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This thread was supposedly started to discuss actual NEWS and FA signings, so if its inappropriate to ask this just delete it.

Does anybody actually want Blackmon back?  I get it for value, but does anybody want him starting? because that's what bringing him back at a good price will probably mean.

If he can stay healthy. Yea

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not as a slated starter he hasn't proved he can be healthy 

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Absolutely.  He had his best year last year.  Led the team with four interceptions I believe.  He won’t be back unless he and Ballard can agree on price.  Which is yet to be determined. 

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If he can stay healthy. Yea

But we have no way of knowing that when its time to sign him.  Is he a FS or a SS?  Can he cover well enough to play FS at a high level, or hold up well enough as a SS?

I think he's gone.  And I'm fine with it.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

S:

Scott - *IR

If we don't Bring Blackmon back, I imagine it means they are banking on Cross being the starting SS

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But we have no way of knowing that when its time to sign him.  Is he a FS or a SS?  Can he cover well enough to play FS at a high level, or hold up well enough as a SS?

I think he's gone.  And I'm fine with it.

He is a SS.  They tried him at FS two years ago and he wasn’t as good.  So they moved him back to SS and he had his best year last year.  Cross is a SS as well.  That’s why we’re looking at FS in FA. 

• Like 1