Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

We are good at SS now, Blackmon is a veteran starter in that role and I think Cross can play it well too.  Nick is still just 22 and is trending up.

I think Cross is really only a SS. He's fast, but he's a linear athlete and doesn't have the lateral agility to be a rangy FS. I still like him as a 3rd safety in certain sub-packages.

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I can live with having Jags at FS but we still need CBs.  I dont care what scheme you run you cant be as weak at corner as we are, teams will exploit the matchups

Honestly, I think most of our coverage issues came from the FS spot where the CB would hand off the receiver like they should, but the FS didn't pick them up. I'd prefer an upgrade at FS.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Shive said:

Honestly, I think most of our coverage issues came from the FS spot where the CB would hand off the receiver like they should, but the FS didn't pick them up. I'd prefer an upgrade at FS.

Corners are meant to play deep in cover 3.  Its too easy to run a good WR to a zone covered by a no name cb against us

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see what they do.  Blackmon has played FS in the past although I agree he was much better at SS last year.  Again, I can’t explain exactly everything Ballard is doing here because I don’t understand it all myself.  

I think moving Blackmon to SS was pretty clear. My guess is Cross is the plan if they don't sign a FS. But I think they really should.

• Like 2

Just now, runthepost said:

Texans maximizing Stroud 

They should've re-signed their own then spent 5 years trying to build up their team through the draft - much better approach... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Texans mean business.

Dang a team making the playoffs and still not deciding to just “run it back”..

Texans know how to help their young QB. Good for them.

Once the Texans blow out the Colts in both games this year maybe Irsay will finally see how terrible Ballards strategy has been. Doubt it though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We also need to stop talking about a DE or DT at 15. We don’t have the weapons to compete with Texans. Only way to get that is at 15.

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

To counter Diggs we will draft a DE round 1

Here's the thing - if Stroud doesn't have time to get the ball out it doesn't matter who they have at WR.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Here's the thing - if Stroud doesn't have time to get the ball out it doesn't matter who they have at WR.

Edge rusher with 10 career sacks but high RAS is the way

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They should've re-signed their own then spent 5 years trying to build up their team through the draft - much better approach... 🤦‍♂️

It seems like any given season, there will be two or three teams loading up in the offseason.  If it doesn't work, good for us.  The issue is that if it does work, there could always be a new team that leap frogs us and makes it harder to reach the AFCCG.  Will TEN be the next team next season?

Its like the NFL market has spoken.  You need to be one of those teams that leaps 15 spots in the "power rankings", so to speak,  to give the team a shot at fighting through the wash.   If you take the slow approach, a different Ferrari will just up from behind and pass you every season.  And it doesn't matter if that Ferrari ends up on the side of the road after a few seasons.  A different one will pass you next season.

• Like 3

Stroud doesn’t have trouble getting the ball out. If we are going to win the division we are going to need to score.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

That does make some sense actually.

No it doesn’t.

We have AR coming back though 😆 

guy carrying GIF

That’s a big ego to satisfy. Is he even wr1 there? How does that make Tank Dell and Niko Collins better? I’m not sure it does. 

Texans have a gm that is willing to part with /reduce the usage of their in-house talent for more star power. Bold strategy… we’ll see. Hope Diggs takes his drama to Houston. No reason to change now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Stroud doesn’t have trouble getting the ball out. If we are going to win the division we are going to need to score.

No it doesn’t.

I agree we need more weapons, but we were tied for 10th in points scored with Minshew. It'll get better.

We were 25th in total pressures last season and nearly all the 14 playoff teams were in the top 14 in total pressures (12 of 14 - Rams 15th and Bucs 19th).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

DE makes great sense if a really good one is there.   

No it doesn’t. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree we need more weapons, but we were tied for 10th in points scored with Minshew. It'll get better.

We were 25th in total pressures last season and nearly all the 14 playoff teams were in the top 14 in total pressures (12 of 14 - Rams 15th and Bucs 19th).

I really think they have worthy on their radar. They have poured so many resources into scouting him. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Texans did not even need to do this. They have a great WR group with a loaded class. But this is how you go all in. This team has the makings of chiefs all over it for years.

I'm not a fan of Ballard's off-season either, but that's a bit much.

• Thanks 1

Tbh we really don’t know if AR is the real deal.  He was injured twice in his first season and missed like 13 games.  He has potential for sure but there is still the unknown with him.  The Texans know for sure Stroud is the real deal.  He showed them playing the full season.  I would bet if AR had the season Stroud had Ballard would be making a few moves the fans would like.  Not to worry. He needs to strengthen the secondary some more and then we can compete with the likes of the Texans.  Especially if AR is the quarterback we think he is.  Remember Diggs didn’t get Allen to the Super Bowl like they were hoping.  Not to worry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Tbh we really don’t know if AR is the real deal.  He was injured twice in his first season and missed like 13 games.  He has potential for sure but there is still the unknown with him.  The Texans know for sure Stroud is the real deal.  He showed them playing the full season.  I would bet if AR had the season Stroud had Ballard would be making a few moves the fans would like.  Not to worry. He needs to strengthen the secondary some more and then we can compete with the likes of the Texans.  Especially if AR is the quarterback we think he is.  Remember Diggs didn’t get Allen to the Super Bowl like they were hoping.  Not to worry.

So just waist another year evaluating. That sounds like a dumb plan.

We have 

Just now, adubb84 said:

Man. The hits in the AFC South keep

coming. Going DE at 15 then trading back into the first for a WR may be the answer. 

There isn’t going to be a DE that is going to be elite there. There might be two and they will be gone. We need offense because we are going to need to score.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol

No choice really.  Run it back with your good players and hope your young players make a jump.  Hit on a few draft picks and hope AR is the real deal.  He’s the big unknown.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

the only one’s saying the year will be a waste is you and your negative Nancy cronies on here. No one in the organization thinks this year is going to be a waste. Regardless of what madden video game roster building other teams in the division are conducting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m still in the belief that if we get cooked this season Ballard “may” not make it. I’m praying AR is the real deal and can stay healthy. The Texans offense is absolutely loaded right now. We already had trouble stopping them already. Now they added Mixon and Diggs. *Sigh*

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have 

There isn’t going to be a DE that is going to be elite there. There might be two and they will be gone. We need offense because we are going to need to score.

We’re going to need something on defense. DE or CB. Is it a stretch to hope that Gus is more creative this season? “Running it back” or a going to get us smoked. 

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I’m still in the belief that if we get cooked this season Ballard “may” not make it. I’m praying AR is the real deal and can stay healthy. The Texans offense is absolutely loaded right now. We already had trouble stopping them already. Now they added Mixon and Diggs. *Sigh*

Lmao to the tweet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Ballard taking another DE with a premium pick?

At least he can’t make a worse pick than Banogu, I guess.

I hope…

Maybe the 5th time is the charm. 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Don't UNDERESTIMATE Ballard :funny:

• Like 2