Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 hour ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Id sure like to see us bring in a pass rusher. Haven’t seen much talk about it but 9.5 sacks being the leader in the clubhouse with buck and Grover on the inside feels almost criminal. How many of those are a result of buck and Grover shoving lineman back in the qbs face and being clean up sacks? I’d have to bet 2-3 which would put our leader on the outside at 6.5 or 7.5. That’s what you call terrible.

I don't think we necessarily need to spend significant capital on a pass rusher this offseason. One of the biggest issues we had last season was that QBs were able to throw so quickly on our secondary, effectively neutralizing any pass rush wins we may have had. Boosting the secondary should help our pass rush, as well as the addition of our new DL coach.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

I’d rather Ballard re-signed Blackmon than draft a DT. Instead we signed a backup DT and have a huge question mark af S.

Davis' contract was hardly a significant cap hit and is in no way a barrier to us signing a safety.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting that PFF has an article today listing the remaining top 50 FA.  Simmons is no.4   Blackmon is number 11.  Diggs is not on the list.

Diggs was past his prime and was costing a pretty penny. So the Seahawks new HC Mike McDonald, who knows a thing or two about defense :), felt easy about the decision to let him go. Quandre Diggs will be available in April too, and I wouldn't be surprised.

It would be a step backwards from Blackmon and if we were somewhat serious about Sneed and willing to spend that much, I would spend a little for Blackmon too that we know, with an incentive based contract. Just my thought.

27 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

3 total seasons in my book honestly. 

Although our timelines don’t really matter. It’s really up to Irsay on how long he wants to wait. And who really knows what he’s thinking at the moment. I’d imagine he’d like for us to at least be competitive similar to last year. 

Oh I know ours doesn't matter.  I think Irsay probably gave Ballard a new timeline centered around ARs development.  I don't think there is much urgency to win the division or make the playoffs this season, despite fans wishes. 

Ballard certainly isn't approaching the first week of FA like he feels his job is on the line if he doesn't make the playoffs.  But I guess he's always approached it like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh I know ours doesn't matter.  I think Irsay probably gave Ballard a new timeline centered around ARs development.  I don't think there is much urgency to win the division or make the playoffs this season, despite fans wishes. 

Ballard certainly isn't approaching the first week of FA like he feels his job is on the line if he doesn't make the playoffs.  But I guess he's always approached it like that.

I have always wondered if there is some kind of collusion amongst GMs in free agency. I would have thought a guy like Justin Simmons would have been gone in week 1 of free agency. Apparently, not. So GMs must know a certain price range and market based on age, and are willing to wait it out for certain players.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Not disappointed with this to be honest.  He’s been a shell of his former self since his rookie year.  

Definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

4 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

The Titans still have roughly 46 mil in cap space. all others in the division in the 16-22 mil range.

They still have (3) players not updated on their cap.

Nick Folk, Nick Westbrook Ikina, Saahdiq Charles.

They also only have 62 players under contract.

Colts have 73 for instance.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

The Titans still have roughly 46 mil in cap space. all others in the division in the 16-22 mil range.

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

They still have (3) players not updated on their cap.

Nick Folk, Nick Westbrook Ikina, Saahdiq Charles.

They also only have 62 players under contract.

Colts have 73 for instance.

my friend destin told me they are looking at a big move- not sneed, as he’s going to the colts. 

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What perennial winners spend big money the first week of free agency??  I know you think it's yawn season.  Perennial winners don't over pay.  The core of this team is good.   If AR is the guy,  the Colts will be in good shape

• Like 2

Adding Sneed would obviously make the the team better,   but he isn't a top 10 corner in the league by anyone's standard.   He isn't the best corner the Chiefs have.   Paying him 23 million isn't going to happen for any team.  Poor Destin got played

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, the draft is really our biggest chance to have improvement, but it's actually rare for rookies to be positive contributors. 

Yep, that's the second biggest hope(or probably the biggest)... 

It's not over but... I just don't see any significant changes happening. It's just not in Ballard's nature. We should know by now. 

Some might not be, some will... for example, I am almost certain the Texans will be stronger than last year. 

Like I said above... I'm just kind of tired of watching the same thing happen every year under Ballard. Ballard is "never finished with roster building" but what does that mean exactly? He will sign C or D free agents that have not been singed in wave 1 or wave 2 of FA... he will get some FA off the streets to compete for spot in October or whatever... But do those moves actually have any serious impact? Do they raise the ceiling of this team. I feel like Ballard has resigned himself to the draft and I can't help but follow suit and just have all my hopes for this team tied to the draft. And this is happening with a QB on rookie deal too... I have no idea why I believed him when he was hinting he might change his approach now that he can afford more things now that his QB is really cheap... 

every 

single

year

this happens. At least since Ballard has been here. Then in week two or three, he signs someone and 75 percent of those who have been whining about him not signing anyone start cheering and are happy again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

This next season?  Ballrd gets judged on that?  By whom?

I'd think he'd be interested in doing what it takes to build a SB team within the next 4 years, not just a team that wins the Division or a Wild Card this season.  I don't think that getting a Sneed and maximizing the cap gets us anywhere near the SB this coming season.   Maybe the Division.  Maybe.

Its like everybody thinks AR is as good as Stroud already, and that Ballard should be building the Colts now as urgently as the Texans are.

How the heck are we agreeing a second time in the same thread?!?! That has got to be a record for us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Fodder:

PFF Current Free Agent Rankings

46. LB SHAQUILLE LEONARD, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

47. CB ROCK YA-SIN, BALTIMORE RAVENS

No go on Leonard. He’s done. Needs to retire 

rock, while I don’t see him coming back, I’d kick the tires on

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Adding Sneed would obviously make the the team better,   but he isn't a top 10 corner in the league by anyone's standard.   He isn't the best corner the Chiefs have.   Paying him 23 million isn't going to happen for any team.  Poor Destin got played

Not surprised you are concerned about paying him 23M but I question your statement that he is not a top 10 CB by anyone's standard.  I know I don't count but he is by my standard.😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Fodder:

PFF Current Free Agent Rankings

46. LB SHAQUILLE LEONARD, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

47. CB ROCK YA-SIN, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Does Rock still suplex tackle WRs? 😂 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Actual news.......but not necessarily good news lol 

It's just good news that something else has finally came out since Sneed talk.

Hopefully this train picks up a little more.steam before it gets to the station.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I have always wondered if there is some kind of collusion amongst GMs in free agency. I would have thought a guy like Justin Simmons would have been gone in week 1 of free agency. Apparently, not. So GMs must know a certain price range and market based on age, and are willing to wait it out for certain players.

Collusion?  Ugh. 

Could it maybe possibly be that Simmons priced himself out of the week one market?    It might just be the player and his agent flubbed this and there simply was no collusion.   

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

Actual news

Edwards had a rough last couple years.

Stats are decent over 100 tackles 5 passes defended. It's a typical Ballard signing . Serviceable player that maybe gets signed to a one year deal. Gives us a little depth and the room is pretty empty. Hard for me to believe Rodney Thomas is being counted on to make the team this year. So maybe all Colts figure they have presently are Cross and Scott ? R Harrison is now a LB... correct ?

1 hour ago, stitches said:

It just feels like I'm having the exact same thoughts and feelings about what's happening with the Colts and Ballard's approach every single year. There hasn't been a single season since... 2020 when I felt like... "oh we got better this off-season... nice" :dunno: 

Pretty much the only hope is that Ballard has another 2018 type of draft and that's where the strengthening of the team comes from... but it's just so rare for rookies to be really great positive contributors... it's hard to be optimistic about it... at least in the immediate. 

"really great positive contributors -in the immediate"

I really do hope your health is good.

Well, we will have Taylor for the whole season.

I watched our season opener with Jaxs over the weekend. AR was 17-22 at one point and running a speeded up offense from the getgo. His head is going to be really straight in year 2.

Downs was breaking their ankles and picking their zones apart. He had 67 catches last season. He is a stud.

Ogeltree and Mallory were solid rookies, can't you believe in their 2nd year jump? Woods can still be really good. AR getting the ball downfield to Pierce.

Cross was making plays down the stretch. We need a 2nd year bump from Juju. A little bump from Raimann. Definitely no more seive behind Grover.

2nd year of Steichen. I fully think we will be better.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Sounds like a Ballard guy. Sign this man to a one year deal...

:peek:

Edwards won a Super Bowl with the Bucs who originally drafted him.  Then again  with the Chiefs who signed him to a one year contract last year.  Might be a sign of good things to come if we sign him.

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Collusion?  Ugh. 

Could it maybe possibly be that Simmons priced himself out of the week one market?    It might just be the player and his agent flubbed this and there simply was no collusion.   

I suspect you’re right. Nobody can blame Simmons for trying to get a big payday. After all, he made, what, $13m last year? But the market is the true reality, he’s 31 yrs old, and he’ll have to settle for less. Not sure what that will be… maybe 2 yrs, $20m, $12m guaranteed? 

I do think he’d be an excellent pickup for the Colts. I hope they sign him. 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

While Chloe and I have had our share of  "debates".    I think it's kinda cruddy that people ask her to post info and when she does everyone takes a dump on her.

She has people that she trusts.   Whether we do doesn't matter.      She posted what she was hearing.      Nobody really knows what the truth is.  

Lighten up everyone.    RELAX!!!

People didn’t get upset at her for posting information.  People got frustrated because when it became clear that the information was incorrect (which isn’t her fault that I agree on) she double downed and attacked anyone who dared to say hey this wasn’t correct.  

That’s fine she has people she trusts but that doesn’t mean we have too.  We also aren’t wrong for going hey I don’t trust this I trust this person instead without being attacked and told things like that person got used by the Colts when there is no evidence to suggest that’s the case or that those that say something on twitter that disagrees with what she feels is true may have to delete their twitter.  

I also agree and have said we don’t know everything that’s going but that was part of the problem Chloe was insisting Destin was correct and couldn’t be wrong even when it became clear he wasn’t.  

As for people relaxing I don’t know how many times I’ve said people needed to just let this play out.  That would include her not insisting something is true when she doesn’t know if it is or not no matter how much she trusts Destin.  He isn’t infallible.  Had she just posted what Destin said and not felt the need to defend him anytime someone questioned it things wouldn’t have blown up.  I think Superman said it best when he said she seems really invested in Destin.  I know I trust Mike Chappell more than anyone but if someone else doesn’t all I can do is say hey here is why I trust him.  At that point if they still don’t trust him well that’s up to them.  If that had happened here I think things would have been more calm.

I want to be clear anyone is free to post anything they want.  Others are also free to say hey I don’t trust that and here’s why.  That shouldn’t turn into a fight on either end.  Two smart people can disagree.  We should be able to respect that on both sides.  What happened here was that wasn’t being respected and people felt attacked, and that includes Chloe, and people came out swinging as they often do when they feel attacked.  

There is a lot of fault to go around here including myself, Chloe, and others.  All we can do now is try to learn from it and move on.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What perennial winners spend big money the first week of free agency??  I know you think it's yawn season.  Perennial winners don't over pay.  The core of this team is good.   If AR is the guy,  the Colts will be in good shape

What are you talking about?  I know that if AR is the guy we will be in good shape.  My point in the entire convo was that Ballard doesn't have to have AR be the guy this season, and he doesn't need to find an important piece of the puzzle right now as some were suggesting.

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

While Chloe and I have had our share of  "debates".    I think it's kinda cruddy that people ask her to post info and when she does everyone takes a dump on her.

She has people that she trusts.   Whether we do doesn't matter.      She posted what she was hearing.      Nobody really knows what the truth is.  

Lighten up everyone.    RELAX!!!

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

People got frustrated because when it became clear that the information was incorrect (which isn’t her fault that I agree on) she double downed and attacked anyone who dared to say hey this wasn’t correct.  

Grammy Awards 61St Grammys GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

she said I was weird…

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

If the Colts are out on Sneed I can’t believe we haven’t signed another veteran CB or Safety.

Ballard must really “trust his guys”…

It’s week two of free agency.  Plenty of time still to make moves.  Plus there is the whole draft to go.

Maybe while watching the tape of Sneed, Edwards stood out to the Colts scouts?

https://atozsports.com/kansas-city/colts-interest-chiefs-safety-mike-edwards-visit-2024-nfl-free-agency/

Colts shift interest to Chiefs safety Mike Edwards in 2024 NFL free agency

According to the NFL's personnel notice for Monday, the Colts hosted Chiefs S Mike Edwards for a visit in free agency. A former third-round draft pick by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers out of the University of Kentucky in 2019, Edwards joined Kansas City on a one-year deal in 2023. 

While he had a very successful campaign with the Chiefs last season, he was not among the defenders they retained...

...The former Chiefs defender who appeared in 17 regular season games with five starts in 2023. He recorded 51 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, one interception, and two fumble recoveries, including one returned 101 yards for a TD. 

The 27-year-old started all four games for Kansas City during the postseason, recording 12 total tackles, an interception, and two passes defended...

Holder’s side if anyone is interested 

Even if you don’t like Holder this is worth listening too.  Basically the Colts were really in on Hunter and got beat and decided not to go after Sneed so they handed out all those contracts to keep their own.  

Holder said they are pinning their hopes on Richardson and him making them better than they were with Minshew.  He also makes it pretty clear he thinks they are going corner at 15.

He also said he thinks the Colts like their young secondary a lot more than most of us do and they are banking on their young guys getting better.  He did say he does expect some moves in the secondary but it’s probably not going to be a Sneed level guy.

He also brought up Franklin saying we need to go get some banners now and Holder told some in the Colts organization that and they loved that because that’s how they feel.  They have invested in their core and now expect them to deliver and will hold them accountable to do so.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Not a huge PFF fan but they know a heck of alot more than I do about NFL position ranking but judging best at each position is very subjective and I have seen him ranked higher than they have him. Like asking 20 people to rate the top ten best pizza parlor in Indy and you are not going to get everyone rating the same. The thing about Sneed is he is so talented Spagnuolo has him on the outside, in the slot and in  the box depending on the situation.

I think each coach may have different traits they may be looking for in a CB so as I said I think it is very subjective. Bottom line is I would love to see him in a Colt uniform next year and many years to come!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s week two of free agency.  Plenty of time still to make moves.  Plus there is the whole draft to go.

Ballard just puts so much pressure on himself to hit these draft picks..

The misses wouldn’t hurt as bad if we had free agents to cover some holes.

Im losing hope..Maybe because the other teams seem to use the first week of FA to their advantage.

I just don’t think this team was good enough to run it back. Especially if Richardson can’t stay healthy.

• Like 4

Just now, Bravo said:

Ballard just puts so much pressure on himself to hit these draft picks..

The misses wouldn’t hurt as bad if we had free agents to cover some holes.

Im losing hope..Maybe because the other teams seem to use the first week of FA to their advantage.

I just don’t think this team was good enough to run it back. Especially if Richardson can’t stay healthy.

First of all I don’t disagree with you.  However, that’s the philosophy he was taught about team building so it’s what he believes in.  Again, not saying it’s right or wrong it’s just who he is.

I know it’s frustrating seeing other teams make big splashes in free agency but I’ll also say normally the team that wins free agency in March doesn’t win come September.  

As for if Richardson gets hurt just about any team in the league is going to be in trouble if they lose their starting QB for any length of time.  

• Like 2