Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Good grief. We need another wr. Surely we aren’t going into the season with just Pitt, Downs and scrubs…..

IMHO it’s incredibly foolish to tie up cap space for mid level WR when the draft class is loaded with them.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Heard on one of those Colts podcasts tonight that Ballard was rumored to be not wanting to give up multiple picks.  I wonder if they would want one of our young corners like Jones as part of the trade.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is the issue with waiting out a player tagged by their current team. Other teams continue to fill holes and players like Fuller are signed to reasonable contracts. This once again, and unfortunately, has the feeling of same old Colts Free Agency period management.  The Colts have needs for difference makers that cannot all be filled successfully in the draft in one year. Here is to hoping for good news on Thursday.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which podcast was it. I would add Pierce.

Who has next to no trade value.  To have trade value you have to have done something not just have people go well if he had a better QB he’d be really good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Huh?  Cross a training camp cut?  The guy is like 21, and ascending in experience, performance, consistency.....  he's cheap as dirt and barely had a chance to develop beyond a normal first year.  

He must have missed Cross doing the Moss on the int vs Pittsburgh.  If they don’t bring back Blackmon then I assume they feel Cross is ready to handle SS

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Now I won’t be able to sleep thinking something is coming.

Colds don’t need a vet. Pittman is the vet. This will be his 5th year.

Not to mention so is Dulin even if I am skeptical about him being a major factor at the WR position.

6 hours ago, w87r said:

The crazy thing about it was they had draft compensation attached to the decision.

They already owed their 3rd round pick to Atlanta for the Ridley trade, but it had conditions on it, that would of made it a 2nd instead of that 3rd, if he was re-signed.

So they elected to not have him and keep their 2nd, rather than re-sign him and lose a 2nd instead of the 3rd.

If they signed after the new season officially began on Wednesday it would have remained a 3rd Rd. Pick. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Jags can’t help themselves.  The funny thing is is the jury’s still out on their quarterback.

The jury is still out on Trevor Lawrence?   

Serious or sarcasm?   (Please say sarcastic!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

This is the issue with waiting out a player tagged by their current team. Other teams continue to fill holes and players like Fuller are signed to reasonable contracts. This once again, and unfortunately, has the feeling of same old Colts Free Agency period management.  The Colts have needs for difference makers that cannot all be filled successfully in the draft in one year. Here is to hoping for good news on Thursday.

We are not on a one year build, how could this be more clear? We are still on a 2-3 year build to be a SB contender. 
 It's possible Ballard signs Snead to a Big 4 year deal that would cover our future SB run. But you have to understand you would be paying him for two years of Big Fully guaranteed $$$ with little hope of seeing a AFC Championship game. By then we have a number of sizable new contracts to consider.
 This guy Fuller wouldn't likely be a difference maker over Ballards young CB's, in our weak defense.
We have so many needs on defense, RG, WR, that we have to hit on our 1st 4 draft pics.
 Then next year fill that last couple big needs.

There are only Four remaining F Agents that are worth upgrading our 2024 roster.

34 year old Kevin Zeitler at RG
 33 year old Tyrone Smith at LT. Move Raimann to RT and Smith to RG. Best line in the NFL!!

33 year old Stephon Gilmore
 30 year old Justin Simmons

They are the best remaining at their positions. Sign bottom 3 for a more fun 2024.
 Wisdom says they will wait for the right team, a good team, with a Playoff likelihood.

But No, Ballard will keep his powder dry for post draft opportunities. 
   We are DONE with any meaningfull signing. 

7 hours ago, AKB said:

so here's my question, if we were almost last in points allowed last season... and our defense is staying pretty much the same... and we have the same defensive coach.. what's gonna be the changing factor to take us from almost last to at least improved? 

Since you asked…..

Several factors….  At some point, as he’s always done,  Ballard will start spending on free agents from other teams.  

Also….   The young guys who played last year to gain experience, those guys in theory should get better.   Brents, Jones, Cross all should be better. 

Also….  With our new DL coach, our pass rush should get better.  

Also….  Eventually, the Colts will have the draft.   The Colts might get an impact defender or two. 

All of these factors should bring a better defense.  Hopefully, a lot better. 

• Like 1

Why aren't people here calling for Blackmon to be resigned instead of wanting these other fa safeties? I don't see any of them as much better than Blackmon if at all. Is it just because he's ours? 

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With Blackmon not signed the colts safety room is a mess. 

Today.   Things aren’t settled today.   

But eventually they will be settled.   Things will be better when the time is right. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Today.   Things aren’t settled today.   

But eventually they will be settled.   Things will be better when the time is right. 

We sat that every year and things never happen.

9 minutes ago, cbear said:

Why aren't people here calling for Blackmon to be resigned instead of wanting these other fa safeties? I don't see any of them as much better than Blackmon if at all. Is it just because he's ours? 

Blackmon is best at SS. Colts need a FS.  Then if Blackmon leaves they need 2.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

“Things never happen?”

It’s late.   You must be sleep deprived.   And you’re worrying over nothing.   There’s lots of time in FA.   It’s still the first week.  

The Colts might still sign Blackmon.  You yourself posted they might bring in an inexpensive safety like McCloud.  There are other options.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Blackmon and cross are a very good safety pair right now. And could develop into something special if given the chance to grow together. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Superman said:

I guess you missed the whole point, then. I think the Colts main shortcomings on defense are related to pass rush and pass coverage. And the reason I'm not enthused about adding Davis is because he does not help in either of those areas.

I say 'I don't like the signing because he doesn't help the pass rush.' You say 'why would he help the pass rush, he's 325 pounds?' .... That's the point. I think we need to improve the pass rush and pass defense, and we spent $84m on three defensive front players that don't move the needle in those areas.

This argument is overstated, IMO. We went 4-2 in those six weeks without Stewart, and then we 2-3 in the final five after he came back. Yes, he helps the run defense, and yes run defense is important. But I don't think we need to spend $39m on a NT to be good against the run. There are a lot of options between Grover Stewart and Taven Bryan. It's not 'either spend $39m on Stewart, or be stuck with Bryan.' 

So if my problem with the Davis signing is resource allocation, and Partridge has no impact on resource allocation, then why did you bring him up in the first place?

Do you think I don't like the Davis signing because I think Davis is a bad player? It feels like you're trying to help me understand that the new DL coach will help get the most out of him, and that makes me think you don't understand my point at all. If I need a shovel and you bring me a rake, it doesn't matter how good the rake is. Shovel = pass defense. Rake = run defense.

Maybe this is the disconnect. I hope Partridge is the best DL coach of all time. I'm more reserved in my optimism than you are. And no matter how good he is, we still need better pass rush talent. No one is turning a middling group of linemen into a fearsome pass rush unit without a serious talent upgrade, not even the Rock Star.

And I think our resources should have been focused in a different direction entirely. I think we should have been thinking about upgrading from Franklin, not trying to retain him. That might be an unpopular opinion; I stand by it.

Then you've completely missed my point, and I honestly don't understand how, because I think I've been very clear this week, and my entire time on this site. I don't care about when the Colts make FA moves, nor am I placated by moves that don't line up with the direction in which I think the team should be moving. I have not flipped sides, and I think that calling my criticism "complaining" is a gross mischaracterization, and somewhat disingenuous. I should not be lumped in with people whose sole mission on this site is to attack the front office; I deserve more credit than that. And I don't think that people need to freak out when I disagree with what the team has done. My thinking on team decisions -- whether I agree or not -- is always genuine and sincere. 

My criticism is simple: I think the Colts have a deficiency at pass rush, and pass coverage, and to improve in those areas, we need to add better pass rushers, and players who are better in coverage. Committing resources to players who are not good pass rushers and not good in coverage is not what I think the Colts should have done this offseason. I would have been just fine if the Colts didn't sign anyone in the first wave of free agency. At least the $84m we committed to players that don't help us defend the pass better would still be available for other areas of the roster.

Maybe, but I don't think so. What's changed is that we now have the HC and QB (presumably), and the runway should be clear for us to build a roster that can compete deep into the playoffs. I had a sliver of hope that Ballard and Co. would at least slightly adjust the roster building strategy, stop committing as much to positions/roles that I don't think are high value, and start addressing more directly positions/roles that I think can raise the ceiling for this team.

Outside of that difference in viewpoint, I don't think I have Ballard fatigue. I like Ballard. I just disagree with his value on these players/roles as it relates to where the roster is right now. And I fully acknowledge that there are plenty of remaining opportunities to improve the pass rush and pass coverage this offseason. I'm not going crazy, I'm not calling Ballard a fool, I don't think he should be fired (yet). I just don't think paying these particular players was the right decision.

Long reply, that shouldn't be a surprise. Hopefully I've clarified my viewpoint. If not, I don't know what else I can say about it.

I saved your post for the end of the day.  I knew there would be much to talk about.  But I’m sorry to say I’m still having trouble understanding you.   Apologies again, this is a very long response. 

I think you’re trying to have it both ways.  You say you understand that Ballard will make moves next week and beyond and there’s still the draft,  yet you’re complaining about the moves we’ve done to date.   Which will it be? 

As to your rake and shovel argument…   You got the rake now, you’re getting the shovel later.   Just as you did with DE’s like Ebukum, Houston, Autry and Ngokwe.   You can complain that you want the shovel first, but you know those guys go for huge money that Ballard typically doesn’t pay.  (Buckner is the one exception). But as my list above shows, Ballard has found shovels that have been very helpful.  So between FA and the draft, I’m still expecting at least one more shovel, maybe two. 

As to the “middling group of D lineman” didn’t that group just finish 4th or 5th in the NFL in sacks?  And you’re going to bring up not enough pressures and my answer to that is Charlie Partridge.  Look, you know Ballard can’t get rid of his D lineman so instead he brings in a guy he believes will help them all get more pressures.  I’m not saying you have to love Partridge as I do, all I’m suggesting is Ballard had a plan in place and you seem reluctant at best to acknowledge it.  

Regarding why I brought up Partridge in the first place it’s because YOU asserted Partridge had influence in asset allocation.  
And you said you’d be worried if Ballard was listening to CP about asset allocation.  I stated that was not true, that spending is entirely up to Ballard.  Your argument was incorrect.   I don’t know how and why we’re missing each other on this? 

You think Ballard spending $84m on run defense is a mistake.  I acknowledged the Franklin signing was a shock to all.  But you know that stopping the run is job #1 in defense.  Stop the run and make the other guy have to pass and make them more predictable.   So I disagree that the argument is over-stated simply because we survived well enough when Stewart was out.  Ballard knows your stats too. 

And in making the argument that it wasn’t just Stewart or Bryan, you forget that Ballard has said that Indy is not a FA destination location unless we pay a premium.   So I believe Ballard tries to instill in his players to play hard and smart and the Colts will reward you.  Either with a good second contract or to let you go to the highest bidder.  Ballard has always said a player should take the best second contract they can get even if it’s with another team.   So letting Grover go and trying to sign a cheaper version is contrary to the view of keeping your best in house. 

I’m sorry we are seeing so much so differently.   I hope some of my arguments give you at least some food for thought. 
Thanks for your patience. 

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Blackmon and cross are a very good safety pair right now. And could develop into something special if given the chance to grow together. 

Hey, CB!   

For discussion sake, the argument against that is that the best position for both Blackmon and Cross is strong safety.   That neither might be a good free safety.   

Just thinking out loud. 

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, CB!   

For discussion sake, the argument against that is that the best position for both Blackmon and Cross is strong safety.   That neither might be a good free safety.   

Just thinking out loud. 

Hello NCF! My memory isn't the best but when Cross finally started getting playing time with Blackmon, didn't they do well with both basically playing both FS and SS?