Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bowen on Ballard’s combine press conference (MERGE)

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why didn't they trade him before the deadline last season?  Why let him go and hope for a comp pick?   Something is odd

Because they were trying to win a Super Bowl and he was having a second team all pro season…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Right.  They both were every down linebackers.  And that is where the need is.  They both were able to stay on the field on 3rd down.  That’s what Queen would give us.  He is in the mold of Leonard and Okeroke and very good.

Ballard isn't going to overpay for Queen

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

While I would love Queen he’s the exact type of player Ballard talked about today that he doesn’t like to go after because you end up way over paying.

Exactly

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

No because that makes a cap hit and the Ravens are strapped for cash which is why he’s going to be available in the first place.  He was second team all pro.  He can play that’s not the issue here.

The problem with Queen is that before this year he wasn't playing well enough to earn the 5th year, that's why the Ravens traded for Roquan Smith to lead the defense and then drafted Trenton Simpson in the 3rd, but with Smith as his partner Queen definitely came back and had a great year which is gonna get him a big pay day. Now for the team that pays him comes with the risk of will Queen continue this trend or did Mike McDaniels and Roquan Smith help him look better than he actually was.

Personally I believe Ballard won't want to pay a FA LB 18 million per year, when he has been great at finding LBs in the draft.

I wish there were questions about Blackmon and Grover because I find them more important than Moore. Although CB answered the Grover question during his season ending press conference.  The way I take his Moore answer is that he will let him test the market find out his value and ask for the opportunity to make the final offer. Ballard tends to let his vets take that route. 

Seems like everyone is taking Ballard’s comments on the WR depth and similarity to the 2020 draft a bit differently.  The Colts took two WR’s in that draft. I kind of expect them to do the same this year. I don’t think Ballard tipped his hand at all in regards to what position they’re targeting in Rd. 1.  

8 hours ago, Zoltan said:

The reason I think it's later is because he mentioned the depth when they picked Pittman in the 2nd and he's obviously happy with how that worked out, so may go with the same mentality of getting a WR in the 2nd.

I wouldn’t say that’s definitive because knowing Ballard, if there’s a receiver they have high on their board and he’s there at 15, they’re going to take him.

this is his second time speaking on the receiver room.  Once at his EOTY presser when speaking on getting more explosive, and now regarding the talent and getting AR more weapons.  Ballard is literally telling us what he’s going to do.  Only way I see us going anything different with the 15th pick is if our targets get swooped up or Arnold somehow lasts until the 15th pick.

and I think we may even double dip on receivers this draft.  He mentioned leaving the coaches hanging because of the lack of depth at receiver.  So when he speaks on depth of this class, I think he’s going to double dip.   Similar to how he did last year with the corners.  Remember, he said the same thing last year about the depth of the cornerbacks and if we didn’t need a qb we probably would’ve went corner with our first pick.

if Brian Thomas or Brock bowers is there at 15, no way we’re trading back or waiting until the second round.  And remember, we picked MPJ in the second because we didn’t have a first to begin with that year.  It wasn’t by choice.  

• Like 1

This is Ballards second time speaking on the WRs we have.  We’re going pass catcher at 15.  Unless all of first round talent that they are eyeing gets swooped up.  AR has put an emphasis on getting weapons for AR.  

I see us trading back if someone we’re targeting isn’t going to fall that far.  Once you get into the 20s, those first round talent receivers are going to get picked.  Ravens, Chiefs, Texans, possibly cardinals if they don’t go WR with their first pick, possibly Bills depending on Gabe…all need receivers.  And with 3 receivers in front of us getting picked (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers), we’re in a tough spot.  After Brian Thomas, the talent in receivers drops to another tier.  

idk, this is just my opinion,  and of course the way the draft plays out could change everything, but all signs so far to me points to receiver/pass catcher.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kind of got the sense the Pittman deal was almost done with Ballard being so open about it. This only confirms it.

That's not really confirmation on anything we didn't know. That's just Destin's "source" saying they are confident in getting a deal done without having to use the tag. What else would they say?

Just now, shasta519 said:

That's not really confirmation on anything we didn't know. That's just Destin's "source" saying they are confident in getting a deal done without having to use the tag. What else would they say?

It’s a source other than Ballard saying they are confident it will get done.  They could have easily said the opposite since it was a source unamed. Ballard never talks contracts. He seemed pretty happy about where they were with Pittman yesterday.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

While I would love Queen he’s the exact type of player Ballard talked about today that he doesn’t like to go after because you end up way over paying.

Agree. I think Ballard knows his defensive system is that one that is LB friendly to where they can plug and play guys at LB and not have to spend big in the draft or cap space. Shaq was a special case when he got paid cause he was a star, but I don't see them allocating heavily to the position. More likely to draft one late Day 3 and another Day 4 to develop and replace the current duo.

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

The reason I think it's later is because he mentioned the depth when they picked Pittman in the 2nd and he's obviously happy with how that worked out, so may go with the same mentality of getting a WR in the 2nd.

MPJ was technically a R2 pick, but he was pick #34, which which is more like a R1 pick. The WRs picked behind MPJ haven't worked out. So I think if Ballard is comparing this WR class to 2020, he's likely eyeing one at #15 or after a slight trade down.

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s a source other than Ballard saying they are confident it will get done.  They could have easily said the opposite since it was a source unamed. Ballard never talks contracts. He seemed pretty happy about where they were with Pittman yesterday.

Unnamed source means most likely the author is just going back to the presser and interpreting it to his/her own needs for the article. 

• Like 2

Ballard didn’t sound confident being able to get Grover and Blackmon back. Sounds like they want them back but says they have to fit within the plan. He is on the radio right now.

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Unnamed source means most likely the author is just going back to the presser and interpreting it to his/her own needs for the article. 

Destin doesn’t do that.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard didn’t sound confident being able to get Grover and Blackmon back. Sounds like they want them back but says they have to fit within the plan. He is on the radio right now.

I’m getting the feeling Grover wants another big pay day and it’s not going to happen with the Colts.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m getting the feeling Grover wants another big pay day and it’s not going to happen with the Colts.

When asked about those two players he said reality you can’t bring everyone back. He was talking more about salary cap I believe. Ballard is good about fixing a weakness but then he creates another somewhere else. Hopefully that doesn’t happen at DT and safety.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When asked about those two players he said reality you can’t bring everyone back. He was talking more about salary cap I believe. Ballard is good about fixing a weakness but then he creates another somewhere else. Hopefully that doesn’t happen at DT and safety.

I wouldn’t say he creates weaknesses elsewhere. Sometime, the cap prevents you from doing what you really want. And before anyone goes on the tangent about playing the cap games of restructuring etc, that kills you down the road. So until we know beyond a doubt that AR can not only stay healthy, but play at the level of a franchise QB, there’s no point in trying to play those cap extremes at this juncture. 

that said, the two I hope we keep are Pittman and Stewart, and maybe Moore, the rest I think we could replace their production rather easily and cheaply 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably means Lewis could come back which I would be very good with.  If I had to guess a team for Grover I would say Bengals.  Their run defense was terrible and they are a contender.  I would think we will sign one of the younger DT in FA to replace him.  Unfortunately we can’t sign everyone.  Hope he brings Rigo back too.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I wouldn’t say he creates weaknesses elsewhere. Sometime, the cap prevents you from doing what you really want. And before anyone goes on the tangent about playing the cap games of restructuring etc, that kills you down the road. So until we know beyond a doubt that AR can not only stay healthy, but play at the level of a franchise QB, there’s no point in trying to play those cap extremes at this juncture. 

that said, the two I hope we keep are Pittman and Stewart, and maybe Moore, the rest I think we could replace their production rather easily and cheaply 

It happens every year. Colts have a major weakness and he fixed it on the offseason. But then he fails to secure another. This is one reason they can’t get ahead of the game. Getting Richardson back hopefully will help cover up some things that you can’t fix. Right now Moore, Grover, Blackmon are set to be FA. That’s 3 big players that are going to be hard to replace.

Something else to think about on the d-line; Buckner is entering the last year of his contract. Might make sense to bring in a good young 3-tech and have them learn behind Defo for a year.

• Like 4

• w87r changed the title to Bowen on Ballard’s combine press conference (MERGE)
2 minutes ago, Hark said:

Something else to think about on the d-line; Buckner is entering the last year of his contract. Might make sense to bring in a good young 3-tech and have them learn behind Defo for a year.

I have definitely thought about it.  I think we will draft a DT early this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have definitely thought about it.  I think we will draft a DT early this year.

I don't see much of a choice. Dayo can cover the 3tech, so not as concerned there but need that Grover replacement, even with him or another FA signing.

Hoping Sweat's combine make him an easy decision. Even if we trade back a few spots.

Could see multiple DTs drafted this year.

I'm good with giving Buck a 2 year extension as well. Lower his cap hit by $10m this year for extra spending in the process.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't see much of a choice. Dayo can cover the 3tech, so not as concerned there but need that Grover replacement, even with him or another FA signing.

Hoping Sweat's combine make him an easy decision. Even if we trade back a few spots.

I'm good with giving Buck a 2 year extension as well. Lower his cap hit by $10m this year for extra spending in the process.

Yeah Dayo and Buckner are pretty similar. I always thought Dayo could be Buckners eventual replacement.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don’t understand why Ballard is so slow in giving out extensions and creating cap space.  I know we have space but everyone else gives extensions and restructures all the time.  Not the Colts.  We rarely go down that path.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t understand why Ballard is so slow in giving out extensions and creating cap space.  I know we have space but everyone else gives extensions and restructures all the time.  Not the Colts.  We rarely go down that path.

Using restructures is bad cap management. Full stop, bottom line. It's not a good idea, unless your goal is to try to push hard for one or two seasons, knowing that you'll pay for it later. And the Colts have not been in a position where it made any sense to try to push hard for a couple years, so there's been no justification for that kind of reckless cap management. And that's part of the reason the Colts always have cap space in the offseason.

As for extensions, I don't know why anyone would think Ballard is slow to give them out. Pittman is the first core level player that the team really wanted to re-sign that played out his entire rookie contract. Everyone else has been extended prior to the conclusion of their final year. Grover, Kelly, Nelson, Leonard, JT, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Using restructures is bad cap management. Full stop, bottom line. It's not a good idea, unless your goal is to try to push hard for one or two seasons, knowing that you'll pay for it later. And the Colts have not been in a position where it made any sense to try to push hard for a couple years, so there's been no justification for that kind of reckless cap management. And that's part of the reason the Colts always have cap space in the offseason.

As for extensions, I don't know why anyone would think Ballard is slow to give them out. Pittman is the first core level player that the team really wanted to re-sign that played out his entire rookie contract. Everyone else has been extended prior to the conclusion of their final year. Grover, Kelly, Nelson, Leonard, JT, etc. 

Just look at the Saints. They are still trying to deal with the Brees teams pushing the bill in front of them for years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Just look at the Saints. They are still trying to deal with the Brees teams pushing the bill in front of them for years.

And they've dug themselves such a hole that the only viable option they have is to keep pushing the bill out, until some of those contracts expire. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Is trading back a position??

Actually, its multiple positions.. haha

Why is that funny?  If you can get good value by trading back,  that's probably the move to make.   Unless a great player slides

• Like 1

My takeaways from using his own language as he usually always drops nuggets that end up coming true:

Deep WR Class - so I'm betting that unless MHJ drops we will be drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd round (or later), but not the 1st. Someone like a Malachi Corley, Xavier Leggete, or Brendon Rice

Blocking TE - start looking at TE's that are more known for their In-Line Blocking with the capability of short are route running (like Ken Dilger, Jack Doyle type)

3rd Down Defense (LB's especially) - another hint to look for those hybrid LB/SS types capable of covering the short zones and the middle of the field (I'm thinking someone like a James Williams from the U).

He has a position in mind for number 15 - that is code of if our guy is there we draft, if he isn't we trade back. Personally, I believe it is an elite pass rusher - edge or interior doesn't matter. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

My takeaways from using his own language as he usually always drops nuggets that end up coming true:

Deep WR Class - so I'm betting that unless MHJ drops we will be drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd round (or later), but not the 1st. Someone like a Malachi Corley, Xavier Leggete, or Brendon Rice

Blocking TE - start looking at TE's that are more known for their In-Line Blocking with the capability of short are route running (like Ken Dilger, Jack Doyle type)

3rd Down Defense (LB's especially) - another hint to look for those hybrid LB/SS types capable of covering the short zones and the middle of the field (I'm thinking someone like a James Williams from the U).

He has a position in mind for number 15 - that is code of if our guy is there we draft, if he isn't we trade back. Personally, I believe it is an elite pass rusher - edge or interior doesn't matter. 

Very plausible . And if I were to place a bet, it would be on this strategy here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess for the position at 15 is WR or corner, and I lean more towards WR with how he mentioned needing to get everything around AR good so they can properly evaluate him. I also go back to the end of season presser where he talked about needing to get more explosive on offense as a hint. I’m waiting to see what some guys run in the 40 but to me, it seems like BTJ would be the target. Him and Pittman with Downs and Pierce in the rotation would be amazing.

Both Bowen and Ballard do well in this interview. Bowen isn’t afraid to ask Ballard THE question — why haven’t you achieved more? CB is better in this setting (not as performative as he is in big pressers). He says, I haven’t got the QB position right. I actually kind of liked CB in this interview but he gotta curve the bill on that ballcap. (54-60-1)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Both Bowen and Ballard do well in this interview. Bowen isn’t afraid to ask Ballard THE question — why haven’t you achieved more? CB is better in this setting (not as performative as he is in big pressers). He says, I haven’t got the QB position right. I actually kind of liked CB in this interview but he gotta curve the bill on that ballcap. (54-60-1)

Yep. I'm glad Bowen asked that, and I'm glad Ballard admitted it. The reason we have a little bit of hope right now is AR. We have two days left (I believe) to use the franchise tag if we want. I'm assuming we'll use it on Pittman if we can't extend him. That will help Richardson as a start. Hopefully Ballard has a great offseason and we can put a great team around AR this year and make the playoffs.

• Like 2

My observations on the interview (FWIW):

—Mostly GM speak and platitudes (as expected)

—Unless I missed it, no mention of Minshew

—MAC is likely gone

—Dulin is a favorite

—Need more YAC … Bowers maybe?

—One of Stewart, Blackmon, Moore will likely not be back

—CB takes the responsibility for the team’s performance and QB issues during his tenure (FWIW)

—Great relationship with Irsay

Lose that hat

Lose that tight shirt

Love his cackle

• Like 1

He never fails at charming the media. 

it’s going to be either receiver, excuse me, “explosive pass catcher”… or defensive line. I don’t see it any other way. Maybe that changes after free agency, but I don’t see it. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:02 AM, shasta519 said:

MPJ was technically a R2 pick, but he was pick #34, which which is more like a R1 pick. The WRs picked behind MPJ haven't worked out. So I think if Ballard is comparing this WR class to 2020, he's likely eyeing one at #15 or after a slight trade down.

Would be a good spot to draft Brian Thomas Jr after a trade down.