Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Sirianni could target Colts Bob Cooter for OC

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think you are crazy. They are set to lose one of their pillars on offense in Jason Kelce. They are going to 1000% regress at that position. Lane Johnson is potentially ready to retire. Their receiving core is very thin, as obvious by the last several weeks. and as you mention- tougher job, not very stable at all… 

Don't forget, they likely are going to lose the tush push play as well. Their window has closed.

season 6 pet or pets GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Don't forget, they likely are going to lose the tush push play as well. Their window has closed.

season 6 pet or pets GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I thought of this as well. Kelce was as instrumental on that play as Hurts was. Not to mention if the league does away with it. 

• Like 1

Cooter is a smart guy and this lateral move is STUPID because the Eagles are in shambles and AR is an up and rising star. Sirianni is on the hot seat so why would he want to jump into that fire. Philly is a tough market.

• Like 2

Only way(s) it could happen is if the Colts release him for a lateral move (not gonna happen); A trade of players or picks for him (highly unlikely); or they add assistant head coach or something similar to his title AND the Colts still have to give permission for all three to happen.

As others mentioned, this is unlikely as it is a lateral move and there is less stability in moving to the Eagles, given that Sirianni may be coaching for his job next year. This article names five other possible candidates for Eagles OC, including another member of the Colts coaching staff, Cam Turner. The others mentioned are Reich, Bieniemy, Klint Kubiak, and Kellen Moore.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-offensive-coordinator-candidates-rumors-coach-nick-sirianni-frank-reich-brian-johnson-fired

On 1/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, IndyScribe said:

It would suck to lose him but I'm fine with it. Shane is the one running our offense and I trust him to find a replacement.

Playcalling? Sirianni hasn't been very good at it. Although it's a lateral move, if he's a good playcaller, then it could mean the difference between being an OC and HC (like Steichen).

This runs deeper than Sirianni. I was on record that i did not believe the Eagles were as good as their record last year. They had a cupcake schedule last year. Everyone raved about their talent and I have always  said that I thought they were over rated. Sure they started 10 and 1 but they could have lost a lot of those games this year. I think that league just caught up to him and started playing them differently. I also said  I would never have extended Hurts. I would have waited another year. I always thought he was a gimmicky qb and I was waiting for the league to catch up. Teams have started blitzing him like mad and it is working. He is not a quick processor and he lives off the play action. I really think he is who he is. A young guy at the gym is a Eagles fan. and I remember saying to him that  I would not be surprised if the Eagles will be looking for another qb in a couple of years. You go back to his years at Alabama and with the Sooners and  I think it is pretty obvious who he is. I think the Colts drafted Richardson with the idea that he will become the next Hurts. I think where they differ is that Richardson actually wants to be a qb first and Hurts looks uncomfortable back there when things break down. 

• Like 1

The colts I feel wouldn’t block it if Colter wanted to interview or take the job. I just don’t see him wanting to go there. 

11 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Im more than certain the Colts could shut that down. Wouldn’t it be a lateral move anyways?

If a guy wants a promotion they would probably let him take it. Calling plays does give him more say in the offense.

On 1/20/2024 at 5:17 PM, Solid84 said:

I guess we could do that, but I think Steichen would like him to stay for AR's sake - consistency and all that. I think the Colts would block a lateral move and either promise Cooter playcalling duties down the road or promise to let him move on (to another OC job with playcalling duties) after another year or two.

There's no promise needed. He's under contract, probably 2-3 years. If he wants to be able to leave, he can just ride out his contract. Or he can interview for a HC job. But I wouldn't grant him permission to leave for an OC position, if it were up to me.

Steichen wanted to interview Brian Johnson for OC last year, who had been the Eagles QB coach. The Eagles could not block Johnson from leaving for an OC job. They promoted him to OC instead, and the matter was resolved.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

There's no promise needed. He's under contract, probably 2-3 years. If he wants to be able to leave, he can just ride out his contract. Or he can interview for a HC job. But I wouldn't grant him permission to leave for an OC position, if it were up to me.

Steichen wanted to interview Brian Johnson for OC last year, who had been the Eagles QB coach. The Eagles could not block Johnson from leaving for an OC job. They promoted him to OC instead, and the matter was resolved.

I know we don't owe the Eagles anything, I was just thinking for Cooter's sake. Didn't know his contract was only 2-3 years. The "promises" were mainly to get him to stay without forcing him.

50 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I know we don't owe the Eagles anything, I was just thinking for Cooter's sake. Didn't know his contract was only 2-3 years. The "promises" were mainly to get him to stay without forcing him.

I don't exactly know how long his contract is for, that stuff never gets reported. But for me, it's just a matter of principle. As long as the rules allow teams to block lateral moves, I wouldn't budge. IMO, once you do, it's open season. And by the way, I'm all about coaches being able to make advancement, and would probably support a rule change that allows assistants to leave for specifically better opportunities, but I think there are a lot of considerations and the situations can get messy.

• Like 2

Sirianni did a terrible job this year vs zero looks.  NFL defenses of course took notice and punished them for it.  I think the issues go deep, down to the play design, which is a really bad look for Sirianni given his background.

I'm surprised they didn't fire him.  I would have fired him because in today's league you must have a coach who can hold down one side of the ball at a minimum at your head coach spot.  Head coaches who cannot do that are more susceptible to impact from poaching of coordinators.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This runs deeper than Sirianni. I was on record that i did not believe the Eagles were as good as their record last year. They had a cupcake schedule last year. Everyone raved about their talent and I have always  said that I thought they were over rated. Sure they started 10 and 1 but they could have lost a lot of those games this year. I think that league just caught up to him and started playing them differently. I also said  I would never have extended Hurts. I would have waited another year. I always thought he was a gimmicky qb and I was waiting for the league to catch up. Teams have started blitzing him like mad and it is working. He is not a quick processor and he lives off the play action. I really think he is who he is. A young guy at the gym is a Eagles fan. and I remember saying to him that  I would not be surprised if the Eagles will be looking for another qb in a couple of years. You go back to his years at Alabama and with the Sooners and  I think it is pretty obvious who he is. I think the Colts drafted Richardson with the idea that he will become the next Hurts. I think where they differ is that Richardson actually wants to be a qb first and Hurts looks uncomfortable back there when things break down. 

I can't agree with everything you said, but the general theme that the Eagles issues are bigger than the changes at the coordinator positions is correct, IMO.  They were overrated as was Hurts, and the NFL has caught up to a degree. 

I've said that Hurts is more of a good game manager QB than a franchise type, and as much as their defense took a step back, Hurts did not look comfortable having to rally from behind.  AR has more pure talent, both athletically and arm talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Sirianni did a terrible job this year vs zero looks.  NFL defenses of course took notice and punished them for it.  I think the issues go deep, down to the play design, which is a really bad look for Sirianni given his background.

I'm surprised they didn't fire him.  I would have fired him because in today's league you must have a coach who can hold down one side of the ball at a minimum at your head coach spot.  Head coaches who cannot do that are more susceptible to impact from poaching of coordinators.

To your last sentence….  

Neither John Harbaugh nor Dan Campbell coordinate either the offense or defense.  They have coordinators do that.   There may be more, but those two quickly came to mind.  

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To your last sentence….  

Neither John Harbaugh nor Dan Campbell coordinate either the offense or defense.  They have coordinators do that.   There may be more, but those two quickly came to mind.  

I think people are forgetting this is Hurts 2nd year as a starting eU 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

To your last sentence….  

oops. Pushed enter on my last post before finishing. People forget that this is Hurts 2nd year as a starting qb. Teams know what they want to do. They got a head last year and the play action was affective for Hurts. Now they are not playing with leads and teams are not biting on the play action. Teams are coming after Hurts. When teams bit, he would have wide open windows and didn't have to anticipate. Look at the film. He didn't have to fire the ball into tight windows last year. This year, he has to anticipate and I am shocked that people blame the coach. You look at who he was in college and he was not an anticipatory thrower of the ball. Alabama was  a power house and they benched him. He went to the most qb friendly team after Bama and he balled out. He is who he is and was never a fan of the player but he is a great person. I do expect Hurts to continue on this path as teams are going to continue to play him this way. He actually reminds me a lot of Brissett but more athletic. Brissett was never able to anticipate and it was his downfall.

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

oops. Pushed enter on my last post before finishing. People forget that this is Hurts 2nd year as a starting qb. Teams know what they want to do. They got a head last year and the play action was affective for Hurts. Now they are not playing with leads and teams are not biting on the play action. Teams are coming after Hurts. When teams bit, he would have wide open windows and didn't have to anticipate. Look at the film. He didn't have to fire the ball into tight windows last year. This year, he has to anticipate and I am shocked that people blame the coach. You look at who he was in college and he was not an anticipatory thrower of the ball. Alabama was  a power house and they benched him. He went to the most qb friendly team after Bama and he balled out. He is who he is and was never a fan of the player but he is a great person. I do expect Hurts to continue on this path as teams are going to continue to play him this way. He actually reminds me a lot of Brissett but more athletic. Brissett was never able to anticipate and it was his downfall.

Im not sure you were intending to respond to me?   I was talking with someone else and your comment to me doesn’t match my post.  

But, to respond to this post, you’re off on Hurts.   This was his THIRD season as the Eagles starter.    15 games in 21, 15 games in 22, and 17 games this year.   So, third year. 

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I don't know that firing him is the right call. I think they need better coordinators, on both sides of the ball. They lost two good coordinators in one year, and had a regression in both areas. But when he has a good staff, the team does well. I do think whatever they did with the staff this season was problematic.

You're right about their play vs zero blitz. It was embarrassing watching the Bucs toy with them in the wild card game. They had zero answers, just throwing to the flat to a receiver standing still while a DB barreled down on him. It was amateurish. The Ravens had a similar problem dealing with the blitz in previous years, but Lamar had it solved against the Texans on Saturday.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:17 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s been speculated all over Twitter but it’s just speculation. Not really  rumor.

I agree, Chloe.

Totally get tired of social media post after social media post pretending to be news.  Some guy out there thinks, hey, this guy likes chocolate ice cream...  and that guy likes chocolate ice cream!  This could be a thing!!!  I saw a thing go by on FB saying that "Bucs WR Mike Evans could be the PERFECT FIT for the Colts!"  Why?  Because his contract is up?  And the Colts have a need at WR?  Therefore it makes it a "perfect fit"?  Jim Bob Cooter is the OC under Steichen.  Steichen was once the OC under Sirianni.  They would run the same offense.  This could be a thing!!!!  Uh huh.

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Destin Adams had a story today how eagles and colts could swap OC. Because  Johnson was with Richardson in Florida. Anyone that watched his schemes in Florida know he was  terrible. And eagles were bad too.

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-eagles-rare-swap-offensive-coordinators-jim-bob-cooter-brian-johnson-anthony-richardson-nick-sirianni/

Could the Colts and Eagles swap offensive coordinators?

Destin Adams

...Brian Johnson's fit with the Colts: 

If the Eagles were to fire Johnson and hire Cooter, the Colts could be in need of a new offensive coordinator. And if Johnson becomes available, he could be a solid fit with the Colts. He worked closely with Steichen as the QB coach for two seasons and was mentioned as a key contributor in helping Jalen Hurts develop into the QB he is today. With the Colts, Johnson wouldn't be expected to call plays, and he could work with and help develop soon-to-be second-year QB Anthony Richardson. 

A QB that Johnson just so happens to have a past experience with. Before becoming the QB coach with the Eagles in 2021, Johnson spent three seasons with the University of Florida as their QBs coach, as well as one season as their offensive coordinator. His last season at Florida in 2020 was Richardson's freshman year. While Richardson only attempted two passes that season before redshirting, that season was crucial to his uptick in playing time over the following two years...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree, Chloe.

Totally get tired of social media post after social media post pretending to be news.  Some guy out there thinks, hey, this guy likes chocolate ice cream...  and that guy likes chocolate ice cream!  This could be a thing!!!  I saw a thing go by on FB saying that "Bucs WR Mike Evans could be the PERFECT FIT for the Colts!"  Why?  Because his contract is up?  And the Colts have a need at WR?  Therefore it makes it a "perfect fit"?  Jim Bob Cooter is the OC under Steichen.  Steichen was once the OC under Sirianni.  They would run the same offense.  This could be a thing!!!!  Uh huh.

I will say this Mike Garifolo reported it on nfl  insiders today it was a possibility. That tends to give it more legs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This is an interesting post you’ve written, and you may even be right.   But speaking of the things you’re long on record about is this……

About three months ago, when the Colts had re-signed Taylor and you were angry you said roughly the following:   That the Colts would never be as good as the Eagles because Philly has Howie Roseman and he was the best GM in football.   That Roseman makes all the tough decisions that Ballard will never make.   He was willing to trade for AJ Brown and Ballard never would.  He was willing to let his top RB Mikes Sanders leave in FA and Ballard kept Taylor.   You were adamant how great Roseman was. 

Now you’re saying you never believed in the Eagles in 22 or 23.   That you never believed in Hurts, the same Hurts that Roseman signed to a contract of 5/255.  That their success was all due to a weak schedule in 2022 when they were a few minutes from winning the Super Bowl.   Now you opposed so many of the decisions made by the great Howie Roseman.   What do you think Roseman would think of your comments then and now? 

I sure find them interesting.  This is a near 180 for you. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan, why the confusion? Why would Cooter leave here to go there? This is a non-story to boot. It will never happen. 

I pretty much disagreed with most everything you wrote.   

I think I agree that it’s unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons.   But I think your view of the two franchises is over stated on both sides.   Sorry. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I pretty much disagreed with most everything you wrote.   

I think I agree that it’s unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons.   But I think your view of the two franchises is over stated on both sides.   Sorry. 

Fair enough but I think we are on the rise and Philly peaked out in 2022 with the players they have as in going back to a SB. We will just have agree to disagree. Philly's collapse was monumentally bad and the Colts with a healthy AR look to me like they have something good brewing. Kelce retiring will hurt them more than you think as well. He was the anchor on that line.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree, Chloe.

I get what you are saying, but is Adam schefter, who largely uses social media to report his news, just pretending? Or is it more likely he has information? 

this came from an nfl insider… and now it’s reported that Brian Johnson is not likely returning to Philly as OC. So while it may be speculation that they will attempt to get Jim Bob, it could also be highly likely there have been discussions, which is where the reports are stemming from. 

It’s not like it came from a forum board or some nobody on twitter. 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

To your last sentence….  

Campbell oversees that offense which is built to his vision and standards.  You can change that OC out and they're going to keep showing well because of Campbell.  I think he is going to be an exceptional head coach as well, because he motivates the entire roster.  That defense is a undergunned but they are playing over their heads of late and that's not by mistake.

Harbaugh is extremely knowledgeable on the offensive side of the ball as well.  And his knowledge is deeper than most "hot OC" type of hires.  So don't kid yourself in this regard.  He is absolutely ensuring his offense is to his standards and he knows what it looks like when done right.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:32 PM, Superman said:

I don't know that firing him is the right call. I think they need better coordinators, on both sides of the ball. They lost two good coordinators in one year, and had a regression in both areas. But when he has a good staff, the team does well. I do think whatever they did with the staff this season was problematic.

You're right about their play vs zero blitz. It was embarrassing watching the Bucs toy with them in the wild card game. They had zero answers, just throwing to the flat to a receiver standing still while a DB barreled down on him. It was amateurish. The Ravens had a similar problem dealing with the blitz in previous years, but Lamar had it solved against the Texans on Saturday.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.  But I expect they will fire him next year.  He reminds me a bit of Jay Gruden, and not in a good way.