Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballards press conference 12:30 Jan 11th

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It doesn't make a difference to me if I have to clarify any comments. Most people on here generally just quote the spot they are confused about and ask for clarification. 

Ok..   point noted going forward I’ll try to remember that with you. 

Ballard also said that since we don’t have an expensive quarterback to pay we can be as aggressive as we need to be in FA.  That signals to me that if there is a FA they want they will be as aggressive as they need to be to get the player.  Now he won’t overpay but I think he will pay market value and we will aggressively compete with other teams for the player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard also said that since we don’t have an expensive quarterback to pay we can be as aggressive as we need to be in FA.  That signals to me that if there is a FA they want they will be as aggressive as they need to be to get the player.  Now he won’t overpay but I think he will pay market value and we will aggressively compete with other teams for the player.

“We’ll be prudent. We won’t be reckless… but if there is a player who fits our team and what we are looking for, go and get him.” 

I like Ebukam a lot. I think he was a great pick up. If we can land a free safety that is a big upgrade in free agency, I will be very happy going into the draft. I don’t think that’s all we’ll get, but that’s the most pressing need, and Ballard basically alluded to that today. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

“We’ll be prudent. We won’t be reckless… but if there is a player who fits our team and what we are looking for, go and get him.” 

I like Ebukam a lot. I think he was a great pick up. If we can land a free safety that is a big upgrade in free agency, I will be very happy going into the draft. I don’t think that’s all we’ll get, but that’s the most pressing need, and Ballard basically alluded to that today. 

I agree and he did allude to acquiring a FS in FA.  As I said in an earlier post I think a player to keep an eye on would be Xavier McKinney currently with the Giants.  A veteran upgrade there would make a huge improvement to our defense imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree and he did allude to acquiring a FS in FA.  As I said in an earlier post I think a player to keep an eye on would be Xavier McKinney currently with the Giants.  A veteran upgrade there would make a huge improvement to our defense imo.

Jeremy Chinn is a free agent too. Could bring him home to Indy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Doesn’t look like much of a sample size to me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4429084/anthony-richardson

I don’t think it’s that controversial of a statement to make to say you think the QB you took number four overall can give you more explosive plays than the backup QB who is a journeyman QB with limitations making him a backup regardless of sample size,

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think it’s that controversial of a statement to make to say you think the QB you took number four overall can give you more explosive plays than the backup QB who is a journeyman QB with limitations making him a backup regardless of sample size,

Richardson was at the top of the league in explosive plays in the limited sample size.

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That didn't sound too promising to me.  "He's stable."  Next question.

I thought he might wish him a speedy recovery or something.

From the local media, it was an hour long love fest about how you now have your QB of the future.  Richardson showed some signs, but considering he only played a handful of games and was knocked out of most of them, that struck me as being a little strange.  I guess  I'm not feeling it like the local media is.  

Ballard:  The backup QB position is important.

Yes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

My point is can he do it on a consistent basis. We don’t know this currently. The sample size is not large enough to see. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing, we barely used our TEs to do anything but block. Why would we suddenly go that route 

I believe that had to do with two things. First, Minshew seemed to use the TE’s less than AR.  I suspect he has trouble seeing the TE’s as well as AR.  Second, when Smith was out the TE’s did a lot more pass blocking and chipping to help out Freeland. For example, after Watt got a sack early, Mallory became practically non-existent.  They had Mo and Ogletree helping Freeland. 

41 minutes ago, #12. said:

That didn't sound too promising to me.  "He's stable."  Next question.

I thought he might wish him a speedy recovery or something.

Irsays asked for privacy so I am sure Ballard is under a bit of a gag order to talk about it so he pretty much just wanted to get off that subject.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No to ebukam. Either the lsu receivers oregon wr, Washington  wr

Next season will be HUGE for Richardson.

Let´s say he runs into another injury that puts him on the sideline... then what?

This season, Knee, Concussion, shoulder = 4 games and then season was over.

Ballard said multiple times in his presser that players need to be available and stay healthy, so when hearing on Richardson and that he won't change his playing style, that was what sidelined Andrew Luck and made him retire way too early.

Richardson needs to change his playing style, bc if he don't... we are 2 years away from drafting another rookie QB. 

Regarding Ballard and his words about cap flexibility, I hope that means that we will make some great additions to the roster and especially sign a playmaker or two.

• Like 1

Something Ballard said stuck out to me and possibly hinted at what we’re going to be looking for in FA and the draft.  He actually repeated it a couple of times.

”We have to get more explosive on offense and limit the explosive plays on defense.”

here’s what I think.  The most explosive position on offense, WR.  The position that limits the explosive plays on defense, FS.

Regarding us getting a WR:

- I think we’re going to look in the draft for one and it will probably be the first pick.  Knowing we have to pay Pittman, I don’t think Ballard is going to want to pay 2 receivers +$20million/yr when he has other holes to fill so the chances of us getting a name WR through FA to me are slim.  Probably another Isaiah McKenzie type signing.  

- I think this means we’re not getting Brock bowers.  Bowers is good, but I wouldn’t attach the word “explosive” to him.  He also likes Mallory and woods so we’ll probably roll with them next year.  There are several prospects that will be available at 15 that we can grab that you can say are explosive. 

- Regarding his comments on Alec Pierce, he thinks he had a solid season but needs work (if I heard that correctly).  Ballard is going to be looking for an instant upgrade.  And depending on how said player performs may even replace Alec

Regarding FS:

- I don’t think we’re going to draft a CB.  If we do, not early.  Ballard made a remark on how young we are on defense, so I don’t think he’s going to look to get younger.  He puts blame on himself for the defense being so young.  So to me that means he’s looking for vets for defense.  

- Staying on the defense being young, Ballard said we need more consistency from the FS position.  You don’t get consistency from a young player who needs experience and learn the position .  You get consistency from a vet who already knows what to do.  My prediction, we’re going to sign someone in free agency.  Hopefully Xavier McKinney.

- Ballard seems to like our corners.  Had good remarks for all 3 of them (juju, jones, Moore).  And we all know how much he loves Dallas flowers, who we’re getting back next year.  Probably going to sure up the CBs with vets. 

of course, this is just me reading into what he said, but I think it’s very plausible and makes sense.  Save money and fill a need on offense.  Get some experience for a very young position group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you guys feel this way. I thought it was more Ballard didn’t want to throw Minshew under the bus.

I felt that way.  Ballard said along the lines of that Alex Pierce had a solid season but needs work.  If you’re saying that about your WR2 going into his 3rd year, that isn’t a good endorsement.

As others have said, Alec does need to improve.  He’s a one trick pony and doesn’t have the speed to be elite at that (like DK metcalf).  

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I interpreted it to be the WR market in general.  

That was in reference to Pittman.  He’s basically saying whatever it costs to retain him, he’s going to do it.  Including using the franchise tag.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Something Ballard said stuck out to me and possibly hinted at what we’re going to be looking for in FA and the draft.  He actually repeated it a couple of times.

”We have to get more explosive on offense and limit the explosive plays on defense.”

here’s what I think.  The most explosive position on offense, WR.  The position that limits the explosive plays on defense, FS.

Regarding us getting a WR:

- I think we’re going to look in the draft for one and it will probably be the first pick.  Knowing we have to pay Pittman, I don’t think Ballard is going to want to pay 2 receivers +$20million/yr when he has other holes to fill so the chances of us getting a name WR through FA to me are slim.  Probably another Isaiah McKenzie type signing.  

- I think this means we’re not getting Brock bowers.  Bowers is good, but I wouldn’t attach the word “explosive” to him.  He also likes Mallory and woods so we’ll probably roll with them next year.  There are several prospects that will be available at 15 that we can grab that you can say are explosive. 

- Regarding his comments on Alec Pierce, he thinks he had a solid season but needs work (if I heard that correctly).  Ballard is going to be looking for an instant upgrade.  And depending on how said player performs may even replace Alec

Regarding FS:

- I don’t think we’re going to draft a CB.  If we do, not early.  Ballard made a remark on how young we are on defense, so I don’t think he’s going to look to get younger.  He puts blame on himself for the defense being so young.  So to me that means he’s looking for vets for defense.  

- Staying on the defense being young, Ballard said we need more consistency from the FS position.  You don’t get consistency from a young player who needs experience and learn the position .  You get consistency from a vet who already knows what to do.  My prediction, we’re going to sign someone in free agency.  Hopefully Xavier McKinney.

- Ballard seems to like our corners.  Had good remarks for all 3 of them (juju, jones, Moore).  And we all know how much he loves Dallas flowers, who we’re getting back next year.  Probably going to sure up the CBs with vets. 

of course, this is just me reading into what he said, but I think it’s very plausible and makes sense.  Save money and fill a need on offense.  Get some experience for a very young position group.

I agree on what he thinks of the Free Safety position. Xavier McKinney jumps out as that sort mid tier FA guy, 3yr30m, that Ballard loves to acquire. PFF says he is generally deployed as a FS, grading him in the top 10 in coverage (81.4).

I'm not so sure we will see Julian Blackmon back this year like most think. I think he'll give the SS job to Nick Cross with Harrison as backup. Then make a move in the FA at FS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I agree on what he thinks of the Free Safety position. Xavier McKinney jumps out as that sort mid tier FA guy, 3yr30m, that Ballard loves to acquire. PFF says he is generally deployed as a FS, grading him in the top 10 in coverage (81.4).

I'm not so sure we will see Julian Blackmon back this year like most think. I think he'll give the SS job to Nick Cross with Harrison as backup. Then make a move in the FA at FS.

I agree on McKinney I hope he’s the target.  I want Blackmon back at SS.  This was his first year back at SS and he had a great year.  Cross didn’t even see the field until the very end of the year.  He is still young and developing.  So I think we know Ballard rewards his own that perform.  That’s why I think Blackmon comes back.  Another FS that could be obtained in a trade is Budda Baker.  He would be a real long shot to obtain.  He would likely cost a 2nd round pick and a reworked contract.  When Ballard mentioned Eraser in describing the position the first player I thought of was Bob Sanders.  The second was Baker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Let´s say he runs into another injury that puts him on the sideline... then what?

Ballard said multiple times in his presser that players need to be available and stay healthy, so when hearing on Richardson and that he won't change his playing style, that was what sidelined Andrew Luck and made him retire way too early.

Richardson needs to change his playing style, bc if he don't... we are 2 years away from drafting another rookie QB. 

Regarding Ballard and his words about cap flexibility, I hope that means that we will make some great additions to the roster and especially sign a playmaker or two.

Richardson doesn't need to change his playing style and I really question if people actually watched the games he got injured. He didn't get injured vaulting over the pile and/or taking on tacklers. He really got hurt on typical  football plays. If you watch those plays over, they were not cringe plays. He got hurt on your every day average football plays and that is what is concerning. He doesn't need to change his playing style, he just needs to get his body right so that he can absorb hits without ending up on IR.

• Like 2

If Richardson changes his style and who he is on a FB field, then we likely need a new QB now.  

I get the shellshock, but asking a massive young QB to not do what it is that makes him "special" is a glaring mistake.  If you wanted a less athletic AR, you'd have taken Levis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

It could quite possibly be one of the top TEs at pick 15.....  

I don’t consider the TE position as a position I would consider explosive.  That’s my view.  At pick 15 if I’m looking for an explosive player it’s WR for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t consider the TE position as a position I would consider explosive.  That’s my view.  At pick 15 if I’m looking for an explosive player it’s WR for me.

I think Gronk and Kelce would say you can have your offence built around an explosive tight end but you still have to have some help on the outside. I think this maybe the year where you could see the Colts finally trade up for that wr for Richardson.

• Like 1

I was pleased to hear in Richardson say, in his press conference, that he learned from his mistake, when he slowed down before crossing the goalline. This was the first I have heard him admit to deliberately slowing down. which one can certainly view as him showing off. I do not want AR to change his aggressive style of play, but he needs to play smarter as a professional.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

An offense that is explosive does not necessarily exist because of its explosive wide receivers. The offense is explosive. An elite running back could make an offense explosive. Elite receivers could make the offense explosive. An elite quarterback could make an offense explosive.

Adding an elite Tight End would make the offense more explosive, even if you don't consider the plays the tight end makes to be explosive plays.

What an elite tight end would do is make it possible for your existing wide receivers to make more explosive plays. An elite tight end would make is possible for your existing running backs to make more explosive plays. An elite tight end would make it possible for your young quarterback to make more explosive plays. etc. etc. etc.

Adding an elite tight end could absolutely make this offense more explosive.

What if, just image, if you had an existing team that maybe already had a freak athlete dual-threat QB, an all pro elite running back, a top 12 receiver with sure hands, a young route running technician, and a 3rd year speedster who can stretch the field (whether or not they get targeted frequently). Think about what happens to that offense if they had the kind of tight end that scares the bejesus out of any defense in the middle of the field.

What kind of explosive plays could an offense like that produce?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I have never seen a GM liked and praised so much after accomplishing just so little.

I'm curious about this. From your perspective, what are you seeing/hearing that you would classify as "praise"? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

@Superman When you mention a playmaking TE as something Ballard could target as making the offense more explosive, are there any that come to mind for you specifically? Obviously there is Bowers, who I personally would take over any WR there other than Harrison Jr or Nabers (yep I'd take him over Odunze). 

There's obviously Bowers. I like him, he's good. I don't know how I feel about him in comparison to other players just yet. But there could be other TEs that come available, by draft or trade. And I mentioned I think Woods adds some playmaking, if he's healthy.

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing, we barely used our TEs to do anything but block. Why would we suddenly go that route 

I think most of what we saw from our passing game this year was restricted by circumstance, and the playbook will start opening up with time. 

But TEs got 20.7% of targets, and had 19.7% of receptions. And that's with no standout guy among the bunch. Granson led the way with 43% of snaps played.

By comparison, Pittman got 27.2% of targets, and 30.7% of receptions; and he missed a game and a half. I think there are plenty of targets for TEs, especially for one guy who can really stand out from the rest.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, lester said:

An offense that is explosive does not necessarily exist because of its explosive wide receivers. The offense is explosive. An elite running back could make an offense explosive. Elite receivers could make the offense explosive. An elite quarterback could make an offense explosive.

Adding an elite Tight End would make the offense more explosive, even if you don't consider the plays the tight end makes to be explosive plays.

What an elite tight end would do is make it possible for your existing wide receivers to make more explosive plays. An elite tight end would make is possible for your existing running backs to make more explosive plays. An elite tight end would make it possible for your young quarterback to make more explosive plays. etc. etc. etc.

Adding an elite tight end could absolutely make this offense more explosive.

What if, just image, if you had an existing team that maybe already had a freak athlete dual-threat QB, an all pro elite running back, a top 12 receiver with sure hands, a young route running technician, and a 3rd year speedster who can stretch the field (whether or not they get targeted frequently). Think about what happens to that offense if they had the kind of tight end that scares the bejesus out of any defense in the middle of the field.

What kind of explosive plays could an offense like that produce?

U need an explosive passing game in todays game. You get a 180 yards rushing in the old days like Taylor did on the weekend and i bet you win 99% of your games 10 years ago . High rushing totals don't guarantee a win anymore as the game has changed so much.

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

If Richardson changes his style and who he is on a FB field, then we likely need a new QB now.  

I get the shellshock, but asking a massive young QB to not do what it is that makes him "special" is a glaring mistake.  If you wanted a less athletic AR, you'd have taken Levis.

I definitely agree and think this whole narrative of having him change his play is fan talk and not reality. There's no 'safe playing' in the NFL. 

He's either going to get hurt or not.

Let him be AR. If he keeps getting hurt, you move on and draft another guy and dream about what could've been. 

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that we didn't get to see much of Jelani Woods.      

He (hopefully) will have a large role in this offense.

I think with AR. Pierce will have a much better chance to show his talents

I still think they need to add some more FAST wr's  to stretch the field and have the plays develop quicker .   It seems to be the "thing" in the NFL these days 

on D.  we need a Edge to get after the QB.    Will we blitz more next yr?   I dont know.   So we need one or two to get to the QB  only rushing 4.

LB/ Safety positions needs some work.  Both starters and depth.  

All of these things I believe Ballard touched on.

We will get an idea of what Ballard thinks once FA starts. 

8 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I felt that way.  Ballard said along the lines of that Alex Pierce had a solid season but needs work.  If you’re saying that about your WR2 going into his 3rd year, that isn’t a good endorsement.

As others have said, Alec does need to improve.  He’s a one trick pony and doesn’t have the speed to be elite at that (like DK metcalf).  

and as Ballard also said- they need to be better about getting him opportunities to do what he does best which is stretch the field. We don’t know what we have with Pierce yet, imo. Maybe we never do, but we certainly don’t know what he can do without a qb that can find him wide open downfield and deliver the ball to him. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately the site crapped the bed just before the press conference so I didn't get to comment live. I did write something notes down.

Defense

• Dline.
    • Thinks the pass rush is fine overall - mentioned sacks. Personally I disagree, but I've probably said that too much already.
    • Said Paye is excellent against the run, but he needs to work on pass rush - agree 100%.
      • Not saying anything about 5th year option.
  • Secondary.
    • Regarding being 28th in points allowed two years in a row, Ballard said it was a decision he made regarding going young in the secondary and they knew that they had to take their lumps. Seems an accepted part of the process.
    • Really excited about safety Daniel Scott who got injured for the season.
    • Very positive about Blackmon.
    • Wants more consistency at FS.
    • Excited about our young guys - Brents and Jones. Excited about getting Flowers back.
      • Wants to add competition ("Fuel") to the secondary. I still didn't get the impression we're talking high draft picks spent or an expensive FA acquired.
    • He likes Kenny a lot!
      • Asked about improved play he said he didn't think they did anything different with him - Kenny just plain played better this year.

Offense

• Oline
    • Happy with the Oline. Mentions all 5 starters and is very positive about them all.
      • Is very postive about Tony Sparano (OL coach).
    • Says Freeland needs to get stronger and Freeland knows it himself.
      • Said he never despaired or gave up - not even when dealing with Garrett.
  • QB
    • Don't crown AR yet. There's lots of promise, but he still has a long way to go. Said as much myself.
    • Ballard thinks having the season off to watch and learn has been beneficial for AR.
      • Specifically mentioned how he needed to watch and learn from the Texans game.
        • Playoff level. He needs to "feel it" - the intensity.
        • The team that makes the fewest mistakes win.
      • Needs to learn to love the journey - love to do the work.
      • Says his humble nature means he handles the spotlight well.
    • Talked about Minshew and Ehlinger both having the mentality they want to start.
      • Said it's tough telling guys like that they are the 2 (or 3).
  • WR
    • Likes Downs
    • Need to find more opportunities for Pierce and those deep plays.
  • TE
    • Mallory a lot!
    • Woods has a big year coming up. He needs to show he can stay healthy.

ST

• Happy to have Matt Gay.
    • Had "a bit of a hip" at some point.
  • We have a lot of young guys here.

FAs & Draft

• Accepts he may not be able to get everyone back.
  • Wants Grover back.
  • Likes Sanchez a lot
  • Wants Pittman back. Great relationship between the two.
    • The pricing on the WR market is what it is - "You gotta have wide outs".
  • Talked about needing to get more explosive. Gotta admit I rolled my eyes a little here. I agree we do, but he said the exact same thing after last season... so, do it? Talk is cheap...
    • He at one point specifically mentioned the play Baker wanted to hug instead of tackle (didn't mention names), so a 2nd & 20 turned into a 3rd & 4.
  • We have flexibility cap-wise because of not having an expensive QB.
    • Willing to be as aggressive as they need to be.
      • Talked about not being reckless. I believe we've heard this before as well. I expect movement in FA, but we're not going for A level talent.

Brass

• Ballard
    • Self-scouting. Talked about decisions and biases and identifying them - so he's able to make better decisions down the line.
    • Says he and Steichen agree on the importance of building the lines.
    • Asked about if he feels urgency after 8 years of being here - he absolutely does! '21 and '22 sucked!
  • Irsay
    • Ballard wouldn't talk about his health situation.
  • Steichen
    • Very high praise for Steichen. "Is all ball".
  • Isaiah Rodgers & Tony Brown
    • Asked about who made the decision on suspending them he said it was an organisational decision.
  • There are no planned surgeries yet for injured players - will know more next week.
    • Said he didn't think it was necessary with Blackmon. 50/50 on Smith.

• Thanks 2