Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman wants to explore options

w87r

21 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

He also mentioned that he didn’t feel like he was being utilized to the best of his abilities. Would love to be used downfield more. As well as he had to go to Shane and demand more targets. So that is why he is exploring his options he doesn’t know that this offense is exactly ideal for him he would like to see what else is out there. I don’t blame him , but it would suck to lose Pitt.

I mean in some ways I don't blame him, he's had a different QB throwing to him every year. He may want to go to a team with a solid QB like the chiefs, although I don't think there is anyway we let him walk.

• Like 2

Pittman is hard as nails. I knew it even before he took that hit from Kazee, but after he gained even more of my respect. 

He not afraid, he's durable, and has sure hands. Plus he's a good dude. 

Pay the man and keep him in Indy. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, w87r said:

I literally said it still counts regardless.  What it doesn't do though, is increase the production he had on 108/109 catches. So great, his total is 4.7, but on more than 99% of his other catches, it is substantially lower. It is what it is. I just want him to do more with it when he gets it, more consistently.

Do you have these actual numbers or are you just saying what you think? 

I found something from 2022, only showed top 5, none of these guys were on it.

Maybe @Solid84can find those numbers?

Chase played with an injured Burrow for the most part and a backup as well.

I've been looking but I can't find anything on receiver vs. double coverage unfortunately, sorry.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think Pittman would chew up single coverage if he faced it and be one of the top pass catchers in the league. 

He gets all the doubles playing on this team. People forget that. And hes still super productive 

I agree, and that’s why I said I would like to bring him back and see him paired with AR and another receiver who can produce past the sticks that doesn’t consist solely of streaks.

ijs, if we do get that help on offense, expect pittmans production to go down, which isn’t a bad thing.  I’m predicting his avg does go up because we’ll throw him more 50/50 balls due to him not being blanketed with a CB and safety.

we both agree that Pittman deserves to get paid and brought back.  We disagree on his possible production when paired with another pass catcher who may demand +100 targets.

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Flaws? I think he is a leetty good all around good WR. I don’t see flaws. The inconsistency comes from having all the QB. He has actually been remarkably consistent with all these different QB. He was ten yards from 3 straight 1k yard seasons with all the changing QB.

Every one has flaws. EVERYONE. No one is perfect. Not you, not me, not Peyton Manning, Not Tom Brady. No player is without flaws. The question is whether those flaws matter or not.

Pittman is very good. But he’s built in similar ways to Reggie Wayne. He’s a solid possession WR. But the flaw is in his route running, Reggie could get open more consistently even early on in his career, Pittman needs to develop that ability and be more consistent. If he can, he would be even better. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Every one has flaws. EVERYONE. No one is perfect. Not you, not me, not Peyton Manning, Not Tom Brady. No player is without flaws. The question is whether those flaws matter or not.

Pittman is very good. But he’s built in similar ways to Reggie Wayne. He’s a solid possession WR. But the flaw is in his route running, Reggie could get open more consistently even early on in his career, Pittman needs to develop that ability and be more consistent. If he can, he would be even better. 

Route running? Come on 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Route running? Come on 

Considering if you watch his videos that he himself says is an area he is trying to improve on, yeah.

look I get it, he is our best WR, the dude can can catch, his run blocking as a WR is one of if not the best in the league, he’s tough as nails and very spirited and passionate about his game. On top of that, he’s tough as nails.

in my mind, he’s fully deserving of a big pay raise. I’m perfectly fine paying him top 5 money.  The tag right now is worth 23 million, I’m fine with going to 25 million per year and 5 years, heavily front loaded or otherwise cheaper on the dead cap hit should he hit a wall or get majorly injured. 

Chloe, your posts(annd several of people ) indicate you all think I’m trashing him and saying not to resign him. I’m not, I’m saying the exact opposite. I’m just expressing that he does have work to do to reach the potential I think he has yet to reach. Which is saying something because he’s obviously a top 5-10 WR in the league. I think if he improves on consistency, he could be the BEST in the league. 

which is why I say we HAVE to keep him. And that’s the first I’ve made those comments about resigning any player since Andrew Lucks rookie contract came due. 

can I make it any more Barney level clear?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Why do all of you think he cant do that? Hes a big receiver who makes contested catches.

But when is the last time he had a QB who could place accurate balls downfield?

I think he is better than Higgins and would absolutely catch 120 passes in Cincy. 

He wouldn’t get 120 with Chase in Cincy tho. 

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Considering if you watch his videos that he himself says is an area he is trying to improve on, yeah.

look I get it, he is our best WR, the dude can can catch, his run blocking as a WR is one of if not the best in the league, he’s tough as nails and very spirited and passionate about his game. On top of that, he’s tough as nails.

in my mind, he’s fully deserving of a big pay raise. I’m perfectly fine paying him top 5 money.  The tag right now is worth 23 million, I’m fine with going to 25 million per year and 5 years, heavily front loaded or otherwise cheaper on the dead cap hit should he hit a wall or get majorly injured. 

Chloe, your posts(annd several of people ) indicate you all think I’m trashing him and saying not to resign him. I’m not, I’m saying the exact opposite. I’m just expressing that he does have work to do to reach the potential I think he has yet to reach. Which is saying something because he’s obviously a top 5-10 WR in the league. I think if he improves on consistency, he could be the BEST in the league. 

which is why I say we HAVE to keep him. And that’s the first I’ve made those comments about resigning any player since Andrew Lucks rookie contract came due. 

can I make it any more Barney level clear?

Pitt is good but he’s not even a top 5 WR in the AFC.

Chase, Hill, Diggs, Allen, and Adams. I’ll say he’s like 6th or 7th depending on views of Garrett Wilson

• Like 2

17 hours ago, krunk said:

I like Pittman and I'm fine if he stays but I've always said we could do better. My opinion probably isn't popular but I stand on it.

If he leaves we may need to draft two wrs

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I mean in some ways I don't blame him, he's had a different QB throwing to him every year. He may want to go to a team with a solid QB like the chiefs, although I don't think there is anyway we let him walk.

I agree, he could very well see what his market value is and the Colts can match that or choose to Franchise him.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If he leaves we may need to draft two wrs

Doubt it , they will most definitely sign someone in FA.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

He’s no where near built in the same ways as Reggie Wayne lol. Reggie Wayne is 6’0 played around 195-200lbs and ran a 4.45.

Pitt is 6’4 plays around 220-225lbs and ran a 4.52. 

Reggie Wayne was a Route technician he learned from one of the best in Marvin Harrison. He also had enough speed to burn you deep. Reggie didn’t become a “possession” receiver until the later end of his career when he lost a step or two. In his prime he was Dynamic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Pitt is good but he’s not even a top 5 WR in the AFC.

Chase, Hill, Diggs, Allen, and Adams. I’ll say he’s like 6th or 7th depending on views of Garrett Wilson

To me its not about ranking him. You have your legit number 1#'s and they are few and then you have a bunch of good wrs and he fits in with that bunch.  I have no problem with resigning him as he has a role. However, I feel that I dont value him as high as others on this board. The problem with the Colts is that they have not been able to develop any other wrs that could have assumed Pittman's role and they could let him walk. 

Lets be clear.

Ballard had the chance to extend him early this season cheaper.

He chose not to.

Now Pitts price has gone up alot because he's now in FA.

Thats the price you pay by waiting.

• Like 2

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Lets be clear.

He chose not to.

How do you know any of this?

10 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Lets be clear.

He chose not to.

Pittman said he told the Colts he didn’t want to have contract talks until after the season but yeah sure blame Ballard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pittman said he told the Colts he didn’t want to have contract talks until after the season but yeah sure blame Ballard.

Thats not what happened.  At first Ballard said there would be no extension for either JT OR Pitt.

Then JT started his holdout.

Ballard caved and gave JT his extension completely ignoring Pitt.

Pitt said "fine" (after being insulted).  Sure Pitt said, lets talk then at the end of the season where my per season value will go up by 40%.

Early on of course Pitt wanted to be extended. 

Are you saying if the Colts offered Pitt a lucrative multi year extension early last season he would have refused to listen ?

• Like 1

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Thats not what happened.  At first Ballard said there would be no extension for either JT OR Pitt.

Then JT started his holdout.

Ballard caved and gave JT his extension completely ignoring Pitt.

Pitt said "fine" (after being insulted).  Sure Pitt said, lets talk then at the end of the season where my per season value will go up by 40%.

Early on of course Pitt wanted to be extended. 

Are you saying if the Colts offered Pitt a lucrative multi year extension early last season he would have refused to listen ?

Are you completely ignoring Pittman interview just 24 hours ago and his own postings in twitter? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Are you completely ignoring Pittman interview just 24 hours ago and his own postings in twitter? 

When did he post in twitter that he wanted to wait until after the season ?

Good GM's sign good players before they hit FA.  Its cheaper that way.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

When did he post in twitter that he wanted to wait until after the season ?

Good GM's sign good players before they hit FA.  Its cheaper that way.

Scroll back a few pages, it’s on this very thread. Or there’s this really cool website called Google.com. It’s real easy, just out what you want to find in the search bar and it’ll find it for you….

I’m glad he’s not entirely opposed to the franchise tag. With that being said, I think he’s trying to see if the Colts will match him, and if I’m Ballard I’m playing this very carefully. I love Pitt and I would pay him a lot to stay, but if he demands Justin Jefferson/Ja’Marr Chase money, you can’t pay him that.

• Like 1

A little story from James Boyd’s podcast. He said after the game Pittman was not in the locker room. He said everyone was in there hugging ect. He mentioned how Pittman is such an emotional guy he probably removed  himself because he didn’t want to say something he shouldn’t.  He probably wanted the ball.

I will just say this. Players have to be careful thinking grass is always greener somewhere else. Look what happened with Campbell. He ended up being inactive for a few games this year. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A little story from James Boyd’s podcast. He said after the game Pittman was not in the locker room. He said everyone was in there hugging ect. He mentioned how Pittman is such an emotional guy he probably removed  himself because he didn’t want to say something he shouldn’t.  He probably wanted the ball.

I will just say this. Players have to be careful thinking grass is always greener somewhere else. Look what happened with Campbell. He ended up being inactive for a few games this year. 

I don’t think Ballard tried to retain Campbell did he?  I love Pitt to,  but to go in and ask for more looks and get them, and then complain about the RPO style offense that can’t maximize your skill set? He’s being a bit of a Prima Donna 

I’ve been watching some all 22 footage of this season and am actually shocked at how well Pierce is taking the lid off defenses.  He’s much better as a deep threat than Pittman who is a bigger body with better hands for those contested catches.  I think he’s being utilized to his strengths. 

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Campbell left to go be a star in NYC and has basically been MIA all year. Sad stuff

4 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Campbell left to go be a star in NYC and has basically been MIA all year. Sad stuff

He was pretty much MIA here.  I don’t know if it as much he left to be a star as it was the Colts didn’t try very hard to keep him so he took a job from a team who was willing to give him one.

• Like 2

Pittman hasn't been happy for a while with his role in this offense and I think the guy is suffering from some self delusion.  Instead of being like many fans and mistakenly thinking he's good in bed, he mistakenly sees himself as an elite gamebreaker.  And just like many fans have women who will play along and let us think we're good in bed, he will have some buffoon of a team come along with a bag of money and reinforce that silly elite gamebreaker notion in his head.

Tried telling you a while back that he wasn't gonna stick around.  Colts aren't going to hoist any Lombardis throwing money at guys like him.  This draft is absolutely LOADED with wideout talent.  We have his replacement for his role in house.  Go get the gamebreaker in the draft.  You'll thank me later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Pittman hasn't been happy for a while with his role in this offense and I think the guy is suffering from some self delusion.  Instead of being like many fans and mistakenly thinking he's good in bed, he mistakenly sees himself as an elite gamebreaker.  And just like many fans have women who will play along and let us think we're good in bed, he will have some buffoon of a team come along with a bag of money and reinforce that silly elite gamebreaker notion in his head.

Tried telling you a while back that he wasn't gonna stick around.  Colts aren't going to hoist any Lombardis throwing money at guys like him.  This draft is absolutely LOADED with wideout talent.  We have his replacement for his role in house.  Go get the gamebreaker in the draft.  You'll thank me later.

You need at least 2 solid receiving threats on an NFL offense to get very far. Pittman definitely proved he can be one of those two options on any team. Elite, no, but very good, productive, and consistent for sure. Another WR should be drafted early either this year or next, but unless you're very convinced that Pierce can replace his production then it'd be silly to not retain Pittman with at least the franchise tag going into next year.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:06 AM, colts89 said:

You need at least 2 solid receiving threats on an NFL offense to get very far. Pittman definitely proved he can be one of those two options on any team. Elite, no, but very good, productive, and consistent for sure. Another WR should be drafted early either this year or next, but unless you're very convinced that Pierce can replace his production then it'd be silly to not retain Pittman with at least the franchise tag going into next year.

Personally I think Pitt has reached his ceiling. It’s a top-15 WR ceiling, which is still fantastic, but he’s never going to be Chase or Jefferson or Hill. Pierce and especially Downs still have room to grow. If I’m Ballard, I franchise tag Pitt and swing for an elite WR in the draft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Personally I think Pitt has reached his ceiling. It’s a top-15 WR ceiling, which is still fantastic, but he’s never going to be Chase or Jefferson or Hill. Pierce and especially Downs still have room to grow. If I’m Ballard, I franchise tag Pitt and swing for an elite WR in the draft.

That’s been my point all along Pittman isn’t a hall of fame level WR like Harrison or Wayne was which is what some Colts fans think it takes to be a number one WR.  Top 15 is a number one WR so you keep him.  

Still keeping Pittman doesn’t stop you from trying to improve the WR room.  The Colts had Harrison when they drafted Wayne as an example.  They wanted to make the room better.  Ballard and can do that and keep Pittman too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s been my point all along Pittman isn’t a hall of fame level WR like Harrison or Wayne was which is what some Colts fans think it takes to be a number one WR.  Top 15 is a number one WR so you keep him.  

Still keeping Pittman doesn’t stop you from trying to improve the WR room.  The Colts had Harrison when they drafted Wayne as an example.  They wanted to make the room better.  Ballard and can do that and keep Pittman too.

And that’s what they’ll do. Pitt’s not going anywhere.