Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gus Bradley likely staying

Kent Sterling made a good point in the video I posted earlier. He mentions how everyone knew, going into the game, Nico Collins was the only viable threat Houston had on offense. Sterling mentions how Bill Belichick would try to not allow a teams best player to beat them. Yet, Bradley seems to never make any adjustments to limit these lone players from single handedly destroying us. 

The week before, vs the Raiders, it was a similar situation with Davante Adams. And I suppose I could go on and on.

To me, it's more than just Gus' zone scheme and personnel that needs to be considered in his retention.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Kent Sterling made a good point in the video I posted earlier. He mentions how everyone knew, going into the game, Nico Collins was the only viable threat Houston had on offense. Sterling mentions how Bill Belichick would try to not allow a teams best player to beat them. Yet, Bradley seems to never make any adjustments to limit these lone players from single handedly destroying us. 

The week before, vs the Raiders, it was a similar situation with Davante Adams. And I suppose I could go on and on.

To me, it's more than just Gus' zone scheme and personnel that needs to be considered in his retention.

The Collin’s thing was not a coverage though. It was a busted coverage and both safeties went to the middle of the field. Same with their other TD. Both plays were because of the young safeties. This was not on Bradley. Holder just explained it very well on JMV. He goes that was the worst play in nfl history if that was an actual defensive play. Cross messed up.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah looks like they fired a couple of Martindale's staff and he resigned because of it.

I would love Martindale but i think it would be a total revamp of the defense as   I believe he runs more of a hybrid  aggressive defense.  I could live with a revamp

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The Collin’s thing was not a coverage though. It was a busted coverage and both safeties went to the middle of the field. Same with their other TD. Both plays were because of the young safeties. This was not on Bradley. Holder just explained it very well on JMV. He goes that was the worst play in nfl history if that was an actual defensive play. Cross messed up.

It was more than one or two plays...

Collins led all Texans in scrimmage yards and PFF grades in the Week 18 win. He tallied a 92.4 PFF grade after finishing with nine receptions for 195 yards and one touchdown, which led all Texans players.

Once again, the Colts defense allows a teams one and only dangerous wr to have a career game like Jerry Rice would do.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It was more than one or two plays...

Collins led all Texans in scrimmage yards and PFF grades in the Week 18 win. He tallied a 92.4 PFF grade after finishing with nine receptions for 195 yards and one touchdown, which led all Texans players.

Once again, the Colts defense allows a teams one and only dangerous wr to have a career game like Jerry Rice would do.

Take off the 75 yarder and he is a little over 100. If you only allow 100 yards to one player and that’s all they have that’s pretty good.  That was the only real big play.

Adams was under ten yards per catch and it took a lot of targets to get there when we played LV. 

Texans had maybe one good drive outside the two coverage busts.

• Like 2

Maybe when Steichen says that he values continuity, he means that he doesn't want to hire a really good, innovative DC because he knows he'll just get hired away as a head coach. So he'd rather keep stale old Bradley, since no one else would ever want him.

I'm mostly joking...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Take off the 75 yarder and he is a little over 100. If you only allow 100 yards to one player and that’s all they have that’s pretty good.  That was the only real big play.

Adams was under ten yards per catch and it took a lot of targets to get there when we played LV. 

Come on? That's a bad argument.

If we took 75 yards off of Jonathon Taylor, he would have also just had a little over 100 yards. 

The Colts, fully knowing Collins was our biggest threat, and basically, the only dangerous player on the entire Texans team, who would need to be contained. 

...was allowed to put up 9 receptions for 195. Every WRs dream!

Do you remember when we had this very discussion last week? and you said, lets drop this until after the game is played?

Your opinion was, the Colts would contain Collins, due to injuries of all their other receivers, leaving Collins as their only weapon. And also, the idea that because he was playing away from their home field,  that would have some negative effect.

I totally disagreed, I said I knew Bradley would not make adjustments to limit Collins, and, I all but guaranteed, that Collins would have some ridiculous game.

Now granted, we have young players,

I know that, you know that, and Gus Bradley knows that. Our young players are not excuse to allow Collins to do what he did.  this time, all the Gus Bradley apologists can't use that one. More needed to be done, to take away their best player.

Also, Steichen needs to take the blame along with Bradley. It's clear to see Steichen takes his job as more than just an offensive mind, and talks every week, about coaching all aspects of the game. Offense, Defense, and ST.

While Bradley is the DC. I believe SS would concur, as HC he has the final say in everything. Including defensive game planning.

In hindsight, I think it's safe to say, that if Bradley were to have shut Collins down, or even just limited him to an average performance, the Colts would be hosting the playoff game this weekend.

• Like 4

If the Colts bring in someone else, its likely gonna be another zone guy, so I dont see a change this offseason. Its too hard to change your personnel to a completely different scheme, and that would set us back several years. 

I could however, see them bringing Eberflus back if he gets fired, but other than that I expect Gus to be back. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's a good question. The most cynical response is that the Colts value continuity over improvement. I don't think I believe that, but that seems like the basis for Steichen's answer earlier today.

I don't think it's a financial thing. Bradley and his staff can't be making much, and I'm sure they all have offsets.

And I don't think that Steichen would want to be more involved in the defensive game planning, when he's already intimately involved in the offensive game planning. (By the way, I always talk about how I dislike my HC being a primary play caller; Steichen seemed absolutely locked in all season, one of the rare examples of how to handle the play calling and still nail all the game management decisions. And he was also engaged with defensive players and special teamers. If anyone can handle that responsibility, it's Steichen, IMO.)

And I don't want a DC that has to be prodded to change his approach. If Steichen is having to plead with Bradley to make adjustments, then they aren't on the same page, and Steichen should hire someone that's a better fit.

I guess they had low expectations for the defense, given the state of the roster and the developmental nature of this season. And maybe they hope that another offseason brings improvement, which will lead to better output from the defense. It would be nice to hear comprehensive thoughts from Steichen about the defense and future expectations, but today probably wasn't the time for that. 

I haven’t had a chance to view it yet, but there’s a video on tge front if the website called Steichen on the season.   I’ll view it later.   Just wanted to give you a heads up if you’re interested. 

11 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

If the Colts bring in someone else, its likely gonna be another zone guy, so I dont see a change this offseason. Its too hard to change your personnel to a completely different scheme, and that would set us back several years. 

I could however, see them bringing Eberflus back if he gets fired, but other than that I expect Gus to be back. 

would rather have flus. Bring those turnovers baby. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont disagree, I thought Flus was a little more creative than Gus.

100%. 

bears turnovers +7 while ours was -12 from 2021 to 2022.

i think Jim Harbaugh is the only person they will try and replace him with. 

I also think Flus was the only coach that held players accountable those years. Which is the new mantra. “Loafs”- loved seeing those film reviews calling out the loafs.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven’t had a chance to view it yet, but there’s a video on tge front if the website called Steichen on the season.   I’ll view it later.   Just wanted to give you a heads up if you’re interested. 

I'm pretty sure that's the presser he did earlier today, which I did watch. It's where the "continuity" comment came from.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Just a question

Does Shane need to say Gus is back next year Cause I didn’t read that

Liking continuity maybe is a system like not a coach like

anyway Why didn’t he state yes Gus is back next year 

Hence the title “Gus likely staying.” 

The “liking continuity” comment came in response to the Gus question… He didn’t say he would be because he knows there is a process to work through. They will evaluate everything before making a decision the day after the season ends. 

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

100%. 

bears turnovers +7 while ours was -12 from 2021 to 2022.

i think Jim Harbaugh is the only person they will try and replace him with. 

I also think Flus was the only coach that held players accountable those years. Which is the new mantra. “Loafs”- loved seeing those film reviews calling out the loafs.

And......there are some rumblings if Harbaugh wins the natty he WILL look to return to the NFL and thats the most likely spot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

And......there are some rumblings if Harbaugh wins the natty he WILL look to return to the NFL and thats the most likely spot.

Chicago makes a lot of sense for him. doesn’t have to move far. 

however, so does Los Angeles. It’s not like he is averse to California… 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

Chicago makes a lot of sense for him. doesn’t have to move far. 

however, so does Los Angeles. It’s not like he is averse to California… 

I think they are gonna throw a ton of money at him if he is available. I dont think Eberflus is HC material and they know that.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think they are gonna throw a ton of money at him if he is available. I dont think Eberflus is HC material and they know that.

He’s going to have tons of money thrown at him from all angles. And I think he’s most certainly gone if they win tonight. Maybe regardless. 

29 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hence the title “Gus likely staying.” 

The “liking continuity” comment came in response to the Gus question… He didn’t say he would be because he knows there is a process to work through. They will evaluate everything before making a decision the day after the season ends. 

Yeah he’s meeting with players today I believe and coaches tomorrow 

48 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Just a question

Does Shane need to say Gus is back next year Cause I didn’t read that

Liking continuity maybe is a system like not a coach like

anyway Why didn’t he state yes Gus is back next year 

Because Gus’s contract is up.  Also, there is always the chance that Ballard or Irsay orders a change, Polian did it to Mora and ultimately lead to Mora being fired.  With that said I don’t expect that to happen.  It probably depends on Gus’s contract and does he want to comeback and Shane probably hasn’t had that conversation yet.

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Two seasons is not enough to call anything trend…

You can't use 2 years that had nothing to do with Gus as part of your outlier argument either.

2020 and 2021 has nothing to do with Gus.

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shane never said he was staying. He also said he would be meeting with Ballard next couple days to talk about FA and other stuff.

This is true as well.

Brian Daboll said yesterday he thought Wink would be back, but had to go through process. Now Wink stepped down, but things are fluid and can change in an instant.

Maybe Colts have some interest in Wink, they did bring him in for the HC interview (2nr interview if I remember correctly?), which O feel was a gauge to this exact scene are faced with now. 

As far as people talking about bringing in a playmaker at LB, it sounds great, but do you think Gus is going to take out the liability that is Zaire Franklin? That's my biggest concern with Gus, his stubbornness on personnel and scheme.

My biggest worry for the Colts this year or next, is that the Colts pay Zaire Franklin a big contract. I feel if Gus is gone, the likelihood of that decreases.

Gus will probably be back it seems, but stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

You can't use 2 years that had nothing to do with Gus as part of your outlier argument either.

2020 and 2021 has nothing to do with Gus.

This is true as well.

Brian Daboll said yesterday he thought Wink would be back, but had to go through process. Now Wink stepped down, but things are fluid and can change in an instant.

Maybe Colts have some interest in Wink, they did bring him in for the HC interview (2nr interview if I remember correctly?), which O feel was a gauge to this exact scene are faced with now. 

As far as people talking about bringing in a playmaker at LB, it sounds great, but do you think Gus is going to take out the liability that is Zaire Franklin? That's my biggest concern with Gus, his stubbornness on personnel and scheme.

My biggest worry for the Colts this year or next, is that the Colts pay Zaire Franklin a big contract. I feel if Gus is gone, the likelihood of that decreases.

Gus will probably be back it seems, but stranger things have happened.

Zaire is signed through 2024.  So he has another year.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes but often times you extend players going into their final year of the contract.  That’s why he brought up this year.  However, I think Ballard has enough real free agents he’s not going to busy with extensions right now.  I also don’t think Franklin is the kind of guy you need to extend a year early.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No one said he is a FA.

He is a liability that is why we need another LB or 2. Not because he is a free agent.

Also, to the separate point. Zaire has called himself the best LB in football. You think he is going to be happy at $3.4m next year? He may not ask for a raise, he may? Either way in 2025(which would qualify as my "next", part of "this year or next"), he will be a FA and want paid.

Just watched (and posted) Steichen's press conference from today. As was mentioned by others, previously in this thread... Based on his answer, I wouldn't exactly say Steichen gave a resounding "Vote of Confidence" for Gus Bradley. Yet, after watching, it does seem unlikely, Gus gets fired this year.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

got no problem with Gus. secondary was young and missing key pieces at various points. problems to be expected

looking at film   tons of plays the defender is in the right spot and missing a open field tackle that turns into a big play .   better tackling and better safeties would help a ton

• Like 1

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I used 2020 and 2021 because Flus and Bradley are similar when it comes to Dline use and lack of blitzing AND they had same/similar personnel.

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Great news.  The missing piece to make his defense work is a big time ER to bring the pressure.  That will be a top if not the number one priority for Ballard this offseason.

That has been missing since Mathis, do not wait standing my friend.

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Agreed, and Nico got that 75 yarder because of a blown assignment by the FS (who we need to replace.  Brents actually played him correct on that play.  Turned the receiver into the field and positioned himself against the sideline.  With safety help, that play probably results in an interception.

actually, the other touchdown stroud threw was because of a blown assignment by the safety also.  I’m not sure why everyone is blaming our corners for the Texans loss.

bradleys defense need a ball hawking FS which is not Thomas or cross.  Even if we get rid of Bradley, we still need to desperately upgrade the FS position. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Sure when you take out the first 47....

The point is there's been no changes that suggests this is something we can count on going forward. It's an anomaly.

Maybe, but the 60 sacks from this year is the most recent example from what will look the closest to our starting D on week 1 of next year. 

It could be an anomaly, but it could also be the start of a trend.  I saw improvement from Dayo, solid play from Paye.  We definitely need to add another rusher to the mix, but I think the corners and linebackers in coverage is the main issue. 

2 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

Maybe, but the 60 sacks from this year is the most recent example from what will look the closest to our starting D on week 1 of next year. 

It could be an anomaly, but it could also be the start of a trend.  I saw improvement from Dayo, solid play from Paye.  We definitely need to add another rusher to the mix, but I think the corners and linebackers in coverage is the main issue. 

I agree about the linebackers.  I think for the inexperience of our corners, they played above their levels so should be better next year.  Linebackers honestly are the biggest issue in coverage outside of FS.

15 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I thought of Bill during the game. How many times did he cover TY Hilton or Marvin Harrison in tight man with a safety shadowing over the top all game long? The video of him telling Chad ocho cinco to just not worry about playing because they were double covering him all game. Make the 2nd option and down the line beat you. 

7 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

I think there is little chance we do much differently with the line. Going to let them grow in the offseason and worry about the blatant holes on defense. Shoring up the secondary could allow them to take another jump. Paye and Dayo in contract years could elevate their play. 

• Like 1