Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gus Bradley likely staying

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

You need elite safety play for our D scheme to work better along with 6-7 quality bodies on the DL to help out the secondary.

At LB, we fatefully chose Leonard over Okereke and we could have used Okereke's long arms that he was drafted for in pass coverage, would be a very good asset in the Seahawks' style D we want to enforce. We need some LBs and safeties that can lay the wood and/or enforce and make them pay for a late throw. But it always starts up front and we need active DL that steps up even against very good OLs to keep us in the game.

Ballard put out a statement the day it was revealed the team was not keeping Okereke.   

Basically he said he didn’t want to not keep Okereke, but he had no choice.  That to release Leonard would’ve been a huge dead cap hit to the Colts and completely screwed up the Colts off-season plans.  Plus the team doctors hoped Leonard would return to form.   I think there a number of media tweets that helped explain the situation the Colts were in.  But Ballard clearly didn’t want to let Okereke go.   

I don’t think Ballard had done this before for any player.   He knew it wouldn’t end well.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard put out a statement the day it was revealed the team was not keeping Okereke.   

Basically he said he didn’t want to not keep Okereke, but he had no choice.  That to release Leonard would’ve been a huge dead cap hit to the Colts and completely screwed up the Colts off-season plans.  Plus the team doctors hoped Leonard would return to form.   I think there a number of media tweets that helped explain the situation the Colts were in.  But Ballard clearly didn’t want to let Okereke go.   

I don’t think Ballard had done this before for any player.   He knew it wouldn’t end well.   

I don’t remember that lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have a link for this?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Colts had really wanted Okereke, they could've afforded the deal Giants ended up giving him. 4 year, 40 million, 21.8 million guaranteed, with 6 million dead cap hit only to cut ties after 2 years. His cap number last year was only 4+ million, and Colts easily could've managed similar deal. The fact is they didn't want him at that cost, and that looks like a mistake, regardless of whether they were keeping Leonard or not.

I don't think team doctors were high on Leonard coming back to health last year. Even during last year, there was not much update on whether he was fully back to old health and form or if he was still recovering, or if he's back to full health but just couldn't perform well enough again. That's the case even now as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This is why you need to disguise your plays Gus, this right here!

Disguise is great and it makes perfect sense.  But I think it’s easier to do it when you have experience in the secondary and not a bunch of first year players for the most part.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Disguise is great and it makes perfect sense.  But I think it’s easier to do it when you have experience in the secondary and not a bunch of first year players for the most part.

Probably, but historically Bradley doesn't run disguises even when he had experienced players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2