Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 15th pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Colts select???

9 hours ago, Shive said:

In no world is this happening.

Even with the full TE room, Bowers would be hard to pass on if he fell.

Did you know that AR was projected to potentially move to TE due to his body build.  Wasn't too farfetched of an idea and may still not be.  Wouldn't be the first time a college QB moved to a different position.  Jury is still out on what kind of QB he will be...

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Did you know that AR was projected to potentially move to TE due to his body build.  Wasn't too farfetched of an idea and may still not be.  Wouldn't be the first time a college QB moved to a different position.  Jury is still out on what kind of QB he will be...

I don't know where these ideas pertaining to AR come from. It's like some Colts fans want him to fail.

No, the QB you picked at #4 is not going to be moved to TE. In the 2.5 games he played, he certainly didn't look like a TE. He looked like a promising rookie QB with a laser rocket arm who scored 7 total TDs in an offense centered around his talents.

His pro completion percentage was 59.5%, which is in line, and better than some, of his fellow rookie class. That's impressive considering AR was coming into the league as the QB with the least starting experience and the lowest college completion percentage (53.8) ever for a drafted player. Most people thought his pro completion percentage was going to be even worse, but it looks like they were wrong about that. I'd bet he makes more people wrong next year.

• Like 7

On 1/7/2024 at 7:50 PM, smittywerb said:

Penix isn’t making it out of the top 10.  There are about 5 teams ahead of us who are going to go QB.

not sure about that. He really underwhelmed me in the national championship game. It was his big moment to truly elevate his stock against a power house. Sure he was pressured but there were times where he was very inaccurate when he had the time. I actually think if he played well in that game, they easily could have won

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 9:08 PM, smittywerb said:

1 Chicago 

2 Washington

3 New England

4 Arizona

5 LA Chargers

6 NY Giants

7 Tennessee

8 Atlanta

9 Chicago

10 NY Jets

11 Minnesota

12 Denver

13 Las Vegas

14 New Orleans

I see Arizona (maybe), Tennesee, Atlanta going WR.  The others are going QB or OL.

Thats why I think we have to go WR.  I think there are 5-7 WR1s and we have the ability to get one of them.  If we trade back we’re not getting one of them.  Those WR1s will be gone and we’ll be looking at receivers with Alec Pierce talent level…again. 

MHJ, Nabers, Thomas, Odunze, Coleman, Egbuka, Adonai (even though he doesn’t fit ballards type)

MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze are gone before us most likely.  I would love to grab Coleman at 15.  And if Arizona doesn’t go WR, then that means one of the top 3 falls to us.  No reason for us to trade back.

Egbuka is returning to Ohio State 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

not sure about that. He really underwhelmed me in the national championship game. It was his big moment to truly elevate his stock against a power house. Sure he was pressured but there were times where he was very inaccurate when he had the time. I actually think if he played well in that game, they easily could have won

It would be great if someone took Pennix in the top 10 but I don’t see it happening. 

In 2020 there were 3 qb's taken in the top 6, then Love at 20. In 2021 the top 3 picks were qb's and Fields at 11 and Jones at 15. And last year there were 3 taken in the top 4. This year Williams, Maye, and Penix will be top 10 and Daniels will probably slide into the first round. Should that happen? Ofcourse not, but qb's are normally overdrafted, every team at some point, reaches for their next "franchise qb" and it rarely works out. Let's look at Colt history of first round qb's since '72. Jones-great, Schlichter-haha, Elway-cried, George-very bad move, Manning-dominant, Luck-great, and Richardson-time will tell. Right now we are at 3-3(50%), which is better than most franchises over the past 52 years. And on top of that the "wasted" number of first rounders on qb's is mind numbing.

So looking at big boards and mock drafts, it looks like the top tier of players is about 14 deep. If there isn't 4 tackles and 3 or 4 QBs taken in the top 10, we might just be getting the first pick of the next tier.

These CBs have wrinkles and don't seem like lockdown types. Mitchell apparently has ballhawk potential but gives zero effort in run support. The Bama guys both have multiple games getting tourched. 

We might really want to consider a trade up. Weather early and get as high as we can, or see how the chips fall on draft night and hope we can get a good move made. We have a fairly solid roster, but we need to top tier talent to get us to the next level. We're gonna have to make a move for that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KB said:

So looking at big boards and mock drafts, it looks like the top tier of players is about 14 deep. If there isn't 4 tackles and 3 or 4 QBs taken in the top 10, we might just be getting the first pick of the next tier.

These CBs have wrinkles and don't seem like lockdown types. Mitchell apparently has ballhawk potential but gives zero effort in run support. The Bama guys both have multiple games getting tourched. 

We might really want to consider a trade up. Weather early and get as high as we can, or see how the chips fall on draft night and hope we can get a good move made. We have a fairly solid roster, but we need to top tier talent to get us to the next level. We're gonna have to make a move for that.

IMHO.  ….my opinion is worth less that 2 cents :)

It’s all about the position

If there was a stud, can’t miss, game changing DE that we could trade up for in this draft I would do it ……. Unfortunately there isn’t one in this draft

We don’t need a QB or LT  

With the awesome WR talent in this draft we should be able to get an immediate starter in round 1 or 2

In fact I think CB may trade back a few picks

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 12:18 AM, Hawkeyecolt said:

It would be great if someone took Pennix in the top 10 but I don’t see it happening. 

You may end up being right, but People do stupid stuff all the time in the draft

There have ben  less talented players than Penix taken in round 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:10 AM, OhioColt said:

Ballard said he thinks AR is a passer. At least that’s what he said in his end of the year presser. Now did he really mean it? Who knows?

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Ballard said he thinks AR is a passer. At least that’s what he said in his end of the year presser. Now did he really mean it? Who knows?

Great comment

I truly think that we need to MAKE AR5 develop his passing talent

At this stage….. let’s be honest. AR5 is playing JUST like Andrew Luck

He would constantly take big hits to get a first down

That approach stopped an extremely talented QB from taking the Colts to higher levels

I HOPE that our coaches spend the offseason showing AR5 how to slide and to go out of bounds….

OR…..  just throw the ball away and live to fight another day

PLEASE. PLEASE PLEASE.   Let’s not waste another talented kid

• Like 2

If one of Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers is there at 15 I sprain my ankle from running the card in so hard.

I would also be happy with: DeJean, Turner, Wiggins, Thomas or maybe one of the Bama CBs. 

I think 3 QBs, Marvin Jr, and two tackles will be for sure gone before our pick.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 4:15 PM, coltsfanej said:

If one of Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers is there at 15 I sprain my ankle from running the card in so hard.

I would also be happy with: DeJean, Turner, Wiggins, Thomas or maybe one of the Bama CBs. 

I think 3 QBs, Marvin Jr, and two tackles will be for sure gone before our pick.  

Daniel Jeremiah latest mock has Nabers and Odunze going 5 and 6 but Bowers falling to us. Thinks that 15 is the lowest Bowers would fall to.

• Like 1

I see or hope the Colts will pick a QB in the 1st round to back up AR.  Minshew did an avg job at best and will be a free agent.  I doubt if the Colts will renew his contract, so I hope they pick a QB or move up to pick Bo Nix.  Saw his highlights and appears a game changer for the Colts as the back up or compete with AR and Ehlinger.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:21 PM, KB said:

When Dejean runs a 4.4 or better at the combine people will move him ahead of the Bama guys where he belongs. 

49 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

When Dejean runs a 4.4 or better at the combine people will move him ahead of the Bama guys where he belongs. 

As much as I don't want a corner in the first round, he sounds like a great fit for Gus's defense.

5 hours ago, KB said:

As much as I don't want a corner in the first round, he sounds like a great fit for Gus's defense.

I kind of feel the same way.  The secondary needs experience but it’s a deep draft at CB. If Nabors, Odunze, and Bowers are gone I’m not going to complain if they took at a CB then grabbed a WR in Rd. 2

• Like 2

I just don't see CB in the first. We just drafted Brents and Jones. Both have shown flashes. We got Flowers coming back. If anything this room needs a SOLID, experienced guy on the outside - dump Baker, pleeeease.

WR in first? Maybe. From Ballard's presser I didn't get the feeling WR was high on his list - unless Pittman walks, in which case it would be THE choice in the first.

I'm thinking Dline. I hope Edge, but possibly DT. I like the Texas (DT) guys (Murphy and especially Sweat), but they don't project as first rounders at the moment. This could change after the combine and the senior bowl though. I've seen Jer'Zhan Newton dropping a lot lately in mocks - even out of the first.

If Bowers somehow fell to us I'd take him in a heartbeat.

14 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I see or hope the Colts will pick a QB in the 1st round to back up AR.  Minshew did an avg job at best and will be a free agent.  I doubt if the Colts will renew his contract, so I hope they pick a QB or move up to pick Bo Nix.  Saw his highlights and appears a game changer for the Colts as the back up or compete with AR and Ehlinger.

Seriously doubt this would ever happen after AR's rookie season.  However, if Daniels were to fall, I can only imagine the draft capital Colts could get for him.  Getting a replacement for Minshew is a good idea IMO.  I just think it'll be late round pick if it happens at all.  Steichen seems to like Minshew.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:15 PM, coltsfanej said:

With all the people needing OTs and QBs, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that Bowers is there at 15

I go back and forth on Bowers

The "word" is that a best safety net for a young QB is a TE

The guy will probably be pro bowl year after year after year.

The Chiefs, Ravens, and 49ers are difficult to stop with their excellent TEs

(A side note, that has no bearing, these guys were all taken in mid rounds)

I need to watch more of Bowers reps as an inline blocker

He does well against LBs and DBs in blocking, but is TBD as an inline blocker. If he sucketh at inline blocking  in the pros, (A real possibility) He will be H Back and slot, which would seem to take snaps away from our current slot receiver, who is REALLY good

I really have high hopes for Mallory as TE for this team, to put some weight on, and be that inline blocker, that can release for the pass as well.

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

With all the people needing OTs and QBs, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that Bowers is there at 15

He does well against LBs and DBs in blocking, but is TBD as an inline blocker. If he sucketh at inline blocking  in the pros, (A real possibility) He will be H Back and slot, which would seem to take snaps away from our current slot receiver, who is REALLY good

I really have high hopes for Mallory as TE for this team, to put some weight on, and be that inline blocker, that can release for the pass as well.

Yea I agree. I just hope are focus is surrounding AR with targets that can get open and make plays. 

there should be good WRs available into the 3rd or 4th in this draft from what I’ve heard. 

so I’d be ok going with CB in the first too then get WR after.  I’d actually like to come away with  2 WR in this draft.  We need to add enough competition so that Pierce is competing for a roster spot not penciled in as starter. Then if he steps up to the next level, all the better!

17 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I just don't see CB in the first. We just drafted Brents and Jones. Both have shown flashes. We got Flowers coming back. If anything this room needs a SOLID, experienced guy on the outside - dump Baker, pleeeease.

WR in first? Maybe. From Ballard's presser I didn't get the feeling WR was high on his list - unless Pittman walks, in which case it would be THE choice in the first.

I'm thinking Dline. I hope Edge, but possibly DT. I like the Texas (DT) guys (Murphy and especially Sweat), but they don't project as first rounders at the moment. This could change after the combine and the senior bowl though. I've seen Jer'Zhan Newton dropping a lot lately in mocks - even out of the first.

If Bowers somehow fell to us I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I had the opposite view. I agree it doesn't seem likely we take a CB. Ballard sounded pretty high on our guys and there are some good CBs available in free agency. I thought his press conference pointed to WR/TE. He talked a lot about explosiveness and to me that signals one of the top pass catchers. Maybe I'm coping but I could see a trade up for Bowers. 3 QBs + 2 tackles + 3 WRs will go ahead of Bowers. If he's there around 8-10, I'd do everything I could to move up for him.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:22 AM, MikeCurtis said:

If Bowers is there at 15, you take him. Like you said, he's going to be a perennial pro bowlers. Mallory shouldn't stop us from taking Bowers. Bowers isn't a slot guy, you can think of him like Kelce or Gronk (in terms of receiving ability).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I say Jared Verse in the first,  then Brenden Rice in the second.   If we can't get Harrison Jr., let's get another HF kid!

If you want a nepo baby at WR, why don’t we wait a few rounds and take Luke McCaffrey?

On 1/10/2024 at 12:10 AM, OhioColt said:

I find it funny how much Colts fans want AR to fail. Did you know Luck was asked to convert to LB? Yet I never heard anyone say anything about moving him to a different position...

If Luck was still our QB, people would get crucified for suggesting we take a first round QB to be a backup due to his injuries. But people are more than happy to do it for AR, who had a fluke injury, and has looked promising in his limited play. Sometimes I wonder if you guys are really Colts fans. Instead of supporting him, people already want to replace him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I find it funny how much Colts fans want AR to fail. Did you know Luck was asked to convert to LB? Yet I never heard anyone say anything about moving him to a different position...

If Luck was still our QB, people would get crucified for suggesting we take a first round QB to be a backup due to his injuries. But people are more than happy to do it for AR, who had a fluke injury, and has looked promising in his limited play. Sometimes I wonder if you guys are really Colts fans. Instead of supporting him, people already want to replace him. 

Yeah, there are many that can't stand the fact that a QB that likes to run a lot can go deep in the playoffs or win a SB. That and the fact those people wanted Levis instead. AR is about to put on a show next season like Lamar is now. I am going to sit back and laugh The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

21 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

No we are invited here to add spice 

:sarcasm:

On 1/18/2024 at 8:45 AM, coltsfanej said:

If one of Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers is there at 15, you can do your favourite celebratory dance and take your time as long as there's time to turn in the card. Just don't sprain your ankle :D

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 4:14 AM, IndyScribe said:

I had the opposite view. I agree it doesn't seem likely we take a CB. Ballard sounded pretty high on our guys and there are some good CBs available in free agency. I thought his press conference pointed to WR/TE. He talked a lot about explosiveness and to me that signals one of the top pass catchers. Maybe I'm coping but I could see a trade up for Bowers. 3 QBs + 2 tackles + 3 WRs will go ahead of Bowers. If he's there around 8-10, I'd do everything I could to move up for him.

He did mention getting more explosive and that could point to targets for AR, but based on Ballard’s draft history I don’t see it. 

Ballard’s 1st round draft picks:

’17: Malik Hooker

’18: Quenton Nelson

’19: Traded back

’20: Traded for DeForest Buckner

’21: Kwity Paye

’22: Traded for Wentz

‘23: Anthony Richardson

We have the QB (we hope), so odds are it’s Dline, Oline or a trade back or for a player. I hope we draft a guy this year. 

Regarding Bowers, I do think there are plenty of teams in the 9-14 that could take him the Falcons at 8 won’t when they have Pitts. 

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If one of Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers is there at 15, you can do your favourite celebratory dance and take your time as long as there's time to turn in the card. Just don't sprain your ankle :D

Imagine  if all three  are there a Ballard trades back lol

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 2:33 PM, Shive said:

In no world is this happening.

Even with the full TE room, Bowers would be hard to pass on if he fell.

I think Pittman wants to be able to field offers to give him leverage in contract negotiations, but unless he's demanding something crazy that we won't give and another team will, I see him back.

Brian Thomas Jr is a solid prospect, but a bit of a different mold than Pittman. I think he'd be more of a Z like Pierce than an X. I'm definitely intrigued by how all of this will go down.

I think he is joking about moving AR to TE

I agree on Brian Thomas......  If we trade back from 15 to 22, I would run to the podium to take B Thomas.

He has some crazy separation speed 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think he is joking about moving AR to TE

I agree on Brian Thomas......  If we trade back from 15 to 22, I would run to the podium to take B Thomas.

He has some crazy separation speed 

There were a couple of scouting reports on AR, which thought Richardson might have to move to TE position. That's not out of ordinary because as you said many QB prospects don't work out in the NFL, and with very little college experience if Richardson was bad at next level, that'd not have been a bad suggestion.

But, regardless of the unknown ceiling for AR, he's proved beyond doubt that he belongs to be QB in the NFL. So, no need to bring those scouting reports again. 

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

There were a couple of scouting reports on AR, which thought Richardson might have to move to TE position. That's not out of ordinary because as you said many QB prospects don't work out in the NFL, and with very little college experience if Richardson was bad at next level, that'd not have been a bad suggestion.

But, regardless of the unknown ceiling for AR, he's proved beyond doubt that he belongs to be QB in the NFL. So, no need to bring those scouting reports again. 

I agree.   While he hasn't yet proved to be a good NFL QB, it is where he belongs.   The Colts will live or die by his play or being on the field for the next few years.