Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Steelers post game

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Minshew isn’t the great QB and is barely serviceable but he just did something that mr Andrew Luck never did and he’s done it twice in the same season. Beat the Steelers and the Patriots!!!! Boom baby

Washington Football Team Wsu GIF by Pac-12 Network

• Like 4

The Good

• Minshew had a great game I think. Helped force the Steelers out of defending the run and that turned it into a completely different game.
  • The Oline, bar some early protection issues, had a great game especially run blocking.
  • Trey Sermon and Tyler Goodson stepped up and delivered.
  • Cox had his "every-3rd-ish-game" TD!
  • The Defense stepped up with some clutch turnovers, but MAN do I hate our prevent defense.

The Bad

• Pittman injured. :(
  • Gay needs to settle down.
  • Our "Prevent" defense... enables...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good:

Minshew played his best game of the year.  He was smart, no turnovers and threw the Steelers out of the crowd the line run defense which was key for what was to come.

Fries and Freeland.  They deserve the game ball.  They have found something running behind them.  They lead the Colts to 170 yards rushing and a soul crushing nine minute drive on their backs.

Sermon and Goodson.  You never know when your time will come but they made the most of it.

The front seven on defense.  Four sacks, only gave up 74 yards rushing and forced three turnovers.  The tacking was also MUCH better today.

The safeties.  Both Blackmon and Cross had picks today.  

The bad

The corners.  Not a good day for Jones or Brents.  Not unexpected with Brents coming back after that long of a layoff.

special teams.  Strange early attempts on kickoffs to give the Steelers decent field position, gave up a blocked punt, and Gay.  I think Gay is just in a funk and thinking too much.  All kickers go through that times.  I wouldn’t get too worked up about it yet.

Drops.  Too many and two dropped TDs.  You can’t do that when you are trying to make the playoffs.  

Moss.  Not his play.  The injury.  The word was it’s the same arm he broke earlier this year.  

Freeland in pass protection:  gotta give the man help if he continues to play.  He’s really struggling on his own out there in pass pro.

Ugly

The hit on Pittman.  That was dirty and exactly what the NFL has been trying to eliminate.  That guy needs to be suspended.  Pittman very lucky he got up and wasn’t knocked out.  Also he gets an extra day with the protocol.  Not sure if it will make a difference or not but take what you can get.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Good

• Minshew had a great gamer I think. Helped force the Steelers out of defending the run and that turned into a completely different game.
  • The Oline, bar some early protection issues, had a great game especially run blocking.
  • Trey Sermon and Tyler Goodson stepped up and delivered.
  • Cox had his "every-3rd-ish-game" TD!
  • The Defense stepped up with some clutch turnovers, but MAN do I hate our prevent defense.

The Bad

• Pittman injured. :(
  • Gay needs to settle down.
  • Our "Prevent" defense... enables...

Didn’t our bad prevent defense just give up 7 points.   The other 7 came from a special teams error.   And the defense had 4 sacks and three turnovers. 

So how was our defense bad?   How were they enabling?   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t our bad prevent defense just give up 7 points.   The other 7 came from a special teams error.   And the defense had 3 sacks and two interceptions.  

I abhor the Prevent.  But this is an example where it worked to perfection.

It usually only works when you’re playing a bad QB, which is why it was appropriate today.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t our bad prevent defense just give up 7 points.   The other 7 came from a special teams error.   And the defense had 4 sacks and three turnovers. 

Did you watch the game? There's your answer.

How many 3rd and longs did they give up today? The Colts do this every game and we've lost games on the back of our terrible prevent formation. Just because the Steelers offense is inept and couldn't score points it doesn't make our defense good.

• Thanks 1

Great team win

Good:

-Minshew played like he did early in the season. Played within himself and avoided bonehead throws.

-Running game was great. I liked what we saw from Sermon

-How long have we been saying that they need to play Cross and that Thomas at FS was an issue?!!! Amazing pick from Cross.

-OL played like Bullies and neutralized TJ

Bad:

-1 special teams mishap on the blocked punt

-Pittman injury looked scary in real time. Glad he walked off but hope he doesn’t miss more than a game

-I still have my reservations about Bradley’s D playing so soft 

-I still have reservations about Blackmon’s run defense. Whiffed on another tackle or two in the first half.

Overall great improvement from last week.  I have been saying from week 1 that IDK why Bradley type cast Cross as a SS where he has everything you need in a FS. If he gets the nod there and they let him play more single high, we can get out of the prevent D and really shut down offenses. 

• Like 1

I have been saying all season to run the ball. It doesn’t matter who the rb is, it’s all about the line. That’s why I said I wouldn’t pay Taylor a big contract. They could have used that money to fill a need or extend Buckner.

the colts lead the league in turnover margin and close to the top in sacks. Maybe the gm and dc aren’t as bad as so many people here are saying! I guess that’s why they are fans, not gm’s.

i would trade Franklin if the colts could get a good draft pick. I don’t care how many useless tackles he has. The colts need to draft a couple lb’s this year. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s talking specifically about the prevent not the whole defense.  The whole defense played well.  The prevent defense was not good and was bailed out more than once by a bad throw by a bad QB.  When they weren’t in prevent defense the defense played a great game.  Both can be true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gardner played a great game. Smart with the football, a couple of miss throws but some really really bad drops by the WRs/TEs. He would have had 5 TDs if 2 easy ones weren't dropped.

O-line played great once they started handling Watt with those quick passes and rollouts. Overall a great offensive game. 

You can tell Matt Gay is a new dad. Dude just looks absolutely exhausted. I hope he's able to get back to form. Missing 2 FGs and dropping 2 TDs left a ton of points on the field. 

• Like 2

Just now, IrsaysArmy said:

I’ve been hard on the Colts this year. Credit where credit is due. Nice win. Dominated the game if you take away the block punt 

Yeah, I've bashed Ballard heavily. I don't think this is a SB team, but it could be a playoff team without Richardson. That's still impressive. The depth around this team besides WR has really elevated this team to a 8-6 record. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah they disappeared because we ran the ball down the Steelers throats…

You know what I meant. Don't make it like I'm bashing the Colts.