Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Steelers post game

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

MAC is tied with Pittman for touchdowns. That crowd today was loud even with a ton of Steelers fans there.

I was saying in the chat. Cox catches like 1 reception a game, but usually it's a td. He had a shot at another too. That would have been fun.

• Like 2

Man, Speed laid the lumber on three or four plays today. I think Frank’s demeanor brought about a soft team at times. Steichen is a wild card with an edge and the Colts play with more grit now. It cracked me up when he got hot at Tomlin and dropped out of victory formation. 

• Like 6

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Man, Speed laid the lumber on three or four plays today. I think Frank’s demeanor brought about a soft team at times. Steichen is a wild card with an edge and the Colts play with more grit now. It cracked me up when he got hot at Tomlinson and dropped out of victory formation. 

I think once they hit Pittman with that ridiculous hit, it lit a fire with the team and ticked everyone off. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Good:

Minshew played his best game of the year.  He was smart, no turnovers and threw the Steelers out of the crowd the line run defense which was key for what was to come.

Fries and Freeland.  They deserve the game ball.  They have found something running behind them.  They lead the Colts to 170 yards rushing and a soul crushing nine minute drive on their backs.

Sermon and Goodson.  You never know when your time will come but they made the most of it.

The front seven on defense.  Four sacks, only gave up 74 yards rushing and forced three turnovers.  The tacking was also MUCH better today.

The safeties.  Both Blackmon and Cross had picks today.  

The bad

The corners.  Not a good day for Jones or Brents.  Not unexpected with Brents coming back after that long of a layoff.

special teams.  Strange early attempts on kickoffs to give the Steelers decent field position, gave up a blocked punt, and Gay.  I think Gay is just in a funk and thinking too much.  All kickers go through that times.  I wouldn’t get too worked up about it yet.

Drops.  Too many and two dropped TDs.  You can’t do that when you are trying to make the playoffs.  

Moss.  Not his play.  The injury.  The word was it’s the same arm he broke earlier this year.  

Freeland in pass protection:  gotta give the man help if he continues to play.  He’s really struggling on his own out there in pass pro.

Ugly

The hit on Pittman.  That was dirty and exactly what the NFL has been trying to eliminate.  That guy needs to be suspended.  Pittman very lucky he got up and wasn’t knocked out.  Also he gets an extra day with the protocol.  Not sure if it will make a difference or not but take what you can get.

I think the corners played OK.  They enabled some coverage sacks and I think the Steeelers had less than 100 yards.  They gave up 1 TD, but Brents did ok for just returning from injury.  Remember how Grover looked on his debut last week?  I expect a better game from Brents next week.

• Like 1

GOOD

Minshew:  good safe from him.  Didn’t force anything and protected the ball.  3 touchdowns on the day and a 128.3 rating.  That’s all we need him to do.  

Pittman:  he was KILLING them before the hit knocked them out. 4 recs 78yds, WR1 play right there.  Would’ve went for more.  Hope he gets out of the protocol quickly.

Sermon and Goodson:  almost 200yds on the ground.  Way to take it to them.  Next man up!

Montgomery: signed off the practice squad this week and grabs his first touchdown.  Even though he dropped the first one, he redeemed himself

Defense:  don’t like the prevent defense we play when we’re ahead but when you hood the opposing team to 216, I can’t complain at all.  Great job!

Could say some more but don’t want to make this too long.

BAD

Matt Gay:  not really that bad, but if we’re paying you a lot of money to do one job, then you gotta be 100%.  

Punt Team:  bad blocking on that blocked punt.  

Think that’s all I have for bad.  Anything else I’d be nitpicking.  Great all around win.  Put up 30 and held the opposing team to less than 300 yards.  8-6!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t our bad prevent defense just give up 7 points.   The other 7 came from a special teams error.   And the defense had 4 sacks and three turnovers. 

So how was our defense bad?   How were they enabling?   

I think the frustration comes from allowing two 3rd and forever to be converted to 1st downs.  But the defense definitely had a great game compared to last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Colts followed up their worst performance of the season last week with probably their best all-around performance of the season this week.  

- Mishew was outstanding.  In retrospect, the play he made finding Pittman down the sideline for the big gain in the 2nd quarter changed the game.  Best game of the season from him.  I think he has really been less skittish, disorganized in the pocket the last two games and its led to perhaps his most consistent stretch of the season. 

- Huge hats off to the O-line.  Their play in opening the way for Sermon and Goodson in the 2nd half was exactly what was needed.  That's called earning your money.    

- Gus Bradley did play a lot more man coverages than what we've seen previously.  I'd like to continue see him do it and not revert back to his comfort level with zone.  

- Only real negative IMO was Matt Gay.  The team does need him to figure it out ASAP.  He gets paid way too much to miss some of the FGs he has missed the past two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So is it fair to think that when Braden Smith comes back, we put in Smith for pass plays and Freeland for run plays?

Only downside is the opposing team would know what we were doing each play. But I have to say Freeland had a heck of a night.

• Like 2

Really great to get this win. The Colts are showing the charicteristics of a good team, they dont fold, they weather the storm, and come back fighting. Today shows the "Next Man Up" is real for this team, front office can smile for today. Quietly, Reiman bounced back from last week, he got better, played better. Speed was awesome, Nick Cross, proves himself again, Fries can be a bully in his play, and attitude, got in the Steelers faces a few times. 

Its happening, step by step, with glimpses of what can be ( not just this game but throughout the season) in the future, near future. 

Credit to the coaching staff. Cleaned up the penalties right away. And I love Steichen getting testy at the end after Tomlin called the timeout. 

And on defense, they cleaned up the screen pass defense, and the tackling was better. Credit to Gus and Co. The long conversions on 3rd and 4th down were annoying. They still got things straightened out and kept the Steelers from scoring for most of the game. 

• Like 6

Just now, Superman said:

Credit to the coaching staff. Cleaned up the penalties right away. And I love Steichen getting testy at the end after Tomlin called the timeout. 

And on defense, they cleaned up the screen pass defense, and the tackling was better. Credit to Gus and Co. The long conversions on 3rd and 4th down were annoying. They still got things straightened out and kept the Steelers from scoring for most of the game. 

It’s a small sample size, but Steichen has the it factor and fire. Nights like tonight go a long way in building a confident locker room. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm here win or lose. That doesn't fit your narrative though.

Well in his defense, you did say you weren’t going to watch this team anymore after Richardson went down and you’ve repeated that every loss since. Easy to see why he thinks you’re “back on the wagon”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think the corners played OK.  They enabled some coverage sacks and I think the Steeelers had less than 100 yards.  They gave up 1 TD, but Brents did ok for just returning from injury.  Remember how Grover looked on his debut last week?  I expect a better game from Brents next week.

Yeah that’s why I said to be expect with Brents long layoff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think Brents' play has been spotty all season. I like him as a prospect, but he's mistake prone and penalty prone, and I think that continues until he improves his technique. 

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

I think Brents' play has been spotty all season. I like him as a prospect, but he's mistake prone and penalty prone, and I think that continues until he improves his technique. 

I honestly like Jones more and that’s not a shot at Brents,  I think the Colts just got a real find in Jones.  

Just now, csmopar said:

Well in his defense, you did say you weren’t going to watch this team anymore after Richardson went down and you’ve repeated that every loss since. Easy to see why he thinks you’re “back on the wagon”

I vent a lot, but the team in general isn't as exciting without Richardson for just being fun and developing a QB. I never stopped posting though or just showed up for wins or losses specifically to praise or bash the team. I was here for the highs and lows. I'm the furthest thing from a bandwagon or fairweather fan. I'm just not a buttkisser fan that's always positive like he prefers. I call it how it is based on how the team is doing.