Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[The Athletic] Jim Irsay is in the upper quartile of NFL owners

stitches

Well, they didn't say that exactly, but that's what their ranking shows where Irsay comes at no. 7 best owner in the league. 

https://theathletic.com/5115078/2023/12/08/nfl-owners-ranking-32-teams/

7. Jim Irsay, Indianapolis Colts: 247-182-1 (.576)

Owner since: 1997

Playoff record: 13-15 (1-1 in Super Bowls)

Coach inherited: Lindy Infante

Coaches hired: Jim Mora (32-32), Tony Dungy (85-27), Jim Caldwell (26-22), Chuck Pagano (53-43), Frank Reich (40-33-1), Shane Steichen (7-5)

Irsay’s record is 141-67 (.678) when Peyton Manning starts at quarterback and 106-115-1 (.480) the rest of the time, which is how the league usually works.

All three coaches hired after Manning’s time with the team had winning records. That includes Steichen this season. Irsay’s sometimes erratic behavior and comments distract from that winning legacy.

Thoughts? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim Irsay can be maddening at times with his tweets and outspoken comments. He does care about the team, though, and tries to make it successful the best he can in his own way. I don't agree with him all the time, but overall  he's OK as an owner.  We could do a lot worse. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, teganslaw said:

Jim Irsay can be maddening at times with his tweets and outspoken comments. He does care about the team, though, and tries to make it successful the best he can in his own way. I don't agree with him all the time, but overall  he's OK as an owner.  We could do a lot worse. 

What about his tweets are maddening?

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well, they didn't say that exactly, but that's what their ranking shows where Irsay comes at no. 7 best owner in the league. 

Thoughts? 

He’s one of the better owner in sports.  He’s the polar opposite of his dad and learned from his dad’s mistakes.  I hope his daughters have learned from him.  As fans we are lucky he owns the team rather than someone like the Ford family that owns the Lions or the Brown family that owns the Bengals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Thoughts? 

I read that article earlier in the day. The rankings are based on winning record from the time the owners began owning the team. I don't think that is the best way to rank them. JMO

I would put Tepper last. I would have ranked Snyder last regardless of record, but he is not an owner anymore. Haslam is getting better but he was down there among bad owners. I prefer owners that value stability and continuity and do not hire and fire coaches and GMs every few years.

One thing I noticed about Irsay is that all the coaches he hired have .500 records or better. Only Mora does not have a winning record (32-32).

Coaches hired: Jim Mora (32-32), Tony Dungy (85-27), Jim Caldwell (26-22), Chuck Pagano (53-43), Frank Reich (40-33-1), Shane Steichen (7-5)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

As fans we are lucky he owns the team rather than someone like the Ford family that owns the Lions or the Brown family that owns the Bengals.

I don't see the Ford family being bad. I like the Brown family too. They show patience with their coaches. As a fan, I prefer owners like that or the Rooneys, Irsay, Biscotti, Mara, and some others. I like the owners of my team (the Wilfs) too.

The Colts have been well ran since the Manning days. And when they begin to deteriorate, Irsay has done good removing the parts that weren't working rather quickly. It's been way more up then down being a Colts fan in my lifetime and I appreciate that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't see the Ford family being bad. I like the Brown family too. They show patience with their coaches. As a fan, I prefer owners like that or the Rooneys, Irsay, Biscotti, Mara, and some others. I like the owners of my team (the Wilfs) too.

I never find the need to bash other owners when talking about Irsay.  I think he is a great owner.   I don't care much about other owners

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Big rant incoming:

With all due respect, as a Bengals fan, you’re wrong about the Brown family. Mike Brown has been nothing short of a travesty as the owner of the Bengals since he took over after Paul died. Us Bengals fans call the 90s “The Lost Decade” for a very, very good reason. And while yes, Marvin Lewis was tenured for a long time as the Bengals head coach and brought them back to respectability after the aforementioned Lost Decade, he was fired about 5 years too late because Mike Brown is extremely resistant to change. Not to mention that Brown was always a penny pincher, as the Bengals refused to sign big free agents and the only position they used to spend big money on was the QB, nothing else. 

Things have only changed in recent years because 1: Brown turned over most duties to his daughter, who is a total 180 from him, and 2: Joe Burrow is simply too darn good to be held down by incompetent owners.

Growing up as a die-hard Colts and Bengals fan, I was so incredibly grateful for Irsay, despite his quirkiness, because he actually gave a **** about not only the Colts, but Indianapolis and Indiana. Mike Brown, up until the Burrow years, didn’t care about the Bengals, didn’t care about Bengals fans, and actively ripped off the great people of Cincinnati by making them pay for the Bengals’ stadium solely through their tax money under threat of moving the Bengals.

Irsay and Brown are night-and-day.

As a final aside, if you need further proof of this, look up MikeBrownSucks.com. It’s a large, active community of Bengals fans that has been around since the early 2000s. Just goes to show…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Big rant incoming:

With all due respect, as a Bengals fan, you’re wrong about the Brown family. Mike Brown has been nothing short of a travesty as the owner of the Bengals since he took over after Paul died. Us Bengals fans call the 90s “The Lost Decade” for a very, very good reason. And while yes, Marvin Lewis was tenured for a long time as the Bengals head coach and brought them back to respectability after the aforementioned Lost Decade, he was fired about 5 years too late because Mike Brown is extremely resistant to change. Not to mention that Brown was always a penny pincher, as the Bengals refused to sign big free agents and the only position they used to spend big money on was the QB, nothing else. 

Things have only changed in recent years because 1: Brown turned over most duties to his daughter, who is a total 180 from him, and 2: Joe Burrow is simply too darn good to be held down by incompetent owners.

Growing up as a die-hard Colts and Bengals fan. , I was so incredibly grateful for Irsay, despite his quirkiness, because he actually gave a **** about not only the Colts, but Indianapolis and Indiana. Mike Brown, up until the Burrow years, didn’t care about the Bengals, didn’t care about Bengals fans, and actively ripped off the great people of Cincinnati by making them pay for the Bengals’ stadium solely through their tax money under threat of moving the Bengals.

Irsay and Brown are night-and-day.

Okay. Sorry to hear that.

I have recency bias, I guess. Brown did not have a good record before hiring Lewis. Since then the Bengals have had stability. I like owners that show patience with coaches and GMs and don't fire coaches just because they have not won more. I prefer owners that stick with coaches than those who change head coaches every few years (like Tepper and Haslam of the past). 

JMO, of course. Many don't agree. I get it. :)

• Thanks 1

I’ve always liked Irsay.   And that even included the times when he clearly was publicly battling his demons.   I’m not offended or bothered by flawed people in powerful places.   We’re all flawed and I’ve always thought Irsay’s heart was in the right place.  

The recent HBO feature was extremely flattering right up to one unfortunate point.   I think Irsay and Indy are a good match. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What about his tweets are maddening?

Irsay recently tweeted that Bryant Gumbel treated him with contempt in an interview. Irsay also claimed that police were prejudice against him in 2014 arrest. I didn't see the interview, just repeating what he said. I don't know if "maddening" was the right word, but Irsay has no problem speaking his mind on certain issues, even when not popular. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Irsay recently tweeted that Bryant Gumbel treated him with contempt in an interview. Irsay also claimed that police were prejudice against him in 2014 arrest. I didn't see the interview, just repeating what he said. I don't know if "maddening" was the right word, but Irsay has no problem speaking his mind on certain issues, even when not popular. 

That's another good thing to be a billionaire

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve always liked Irsay.   And that even included the times when he clearly was publicly battling his demons.   I’m not offended or bothered by flawed people in powerful places.   We’re all flawed and I’ve always thought Irsay’s heart was in the right place.  

The recent HBO feature was extremely flattering right up to one unfortunate point.   I think Irsay and Indy are a good match. 

Yeah. It's hard for me to formulate the reason I like him so much but you hit the nail - flawed human, battling his demons, sometimes in public, but his heart is in the right place. And some of the things people were bashing him for were actually huge positives in my books(like him trying to free the whale)... 

And people should never forget that he turned into the conscience of the Colts(moving on from Wentz and then from a coaching staff that had ran its course in Indianapolis) and then the entire league(Dan Snyder) in the span of 12 months or thereabout. And of course, like with everything else he did those things rather clumsily... but in all the noise and turmoil that unfolded in public - HE WAS ACTUALLY RIGHT on the issues. In all of those cases! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Makes sense. I assume Kraft is #1 because of Super Bowl wins?

Yes. But it is because of winning percentage, not necessarily because of Super Bowl wins. Gayle Benson was ranked second but her team (Saints) have not won a Super Bowl. She has the second highest winning percentage during her time as owner.

Top 10 in the article:

1) Kraft, (319-160, .666 win percentage), 6 SB wins out of 10

2) Benson (59-35, .628), no SB

3) Art Rooney (67-42-2, .613), no SB

4) Bisciotti, (189-129, .594), 1 SB win

5) Jody Allen (52-36, .591), no SB

6) Terry Pagula (89-63, .586), no SB

7) Jim Irsay, (247-182-1, .576), 1 SB win

8) Clark Hunt (156-117, .571) 2 SB wins

9) Green Bay Packers owners since before we all were born (796-596-38, .570), 4 SBs

10) Jeffrey Lurie (268-207-3, .564), 1 SB

(Wilfs come at 12 in win percentage, no SB)

Edited by NFLfan
corrected Benson's win percentage
  • Thanks 1

I think I’d put the Packers at #1 just because of uniqueness and the fact they’ve been a competitive and relevant team pretty much throughout their entire history. 

I have to agree with @chickenMan about Brown. Up until Burrow there was no interest in keeping a consistent team. Winning cures all though so I imagine as long as Burrow keeps winning the Brown family will keep rising in the rankings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Yes. But it is because of winning percentage, not necessarily because of Super Bowl wins. Gayle Benson was ranked second but her team (Saints) have not won a Super Bowl. She has the second highest winning percentage during her time as owner.

Top 10 in the article:

1) Kraft, (319-160, .666 win percentage), 6 SB wins out of 10

2) Benson (59-35, .682), no SB

3) Art Rooney (67-42-2, .613), no SB

4) Bisciotti, (189-129, .594), 1 SB win

5) Jody Allen (52-36, .591), no SB

6) Terry Pagula (89-63, .586), no SB

7) Jim Irsay, (247-182-1, .576), 1 SB win

8) Clark Hunt (156-117, .571) 2 SB wins

9) Green Bay Packers owners since before we all were born (796-596-38, .570), 4 SBs

10) Jeffrey Lurie (268-207-3, .564), 1 SB

(Wilfs come at 12 in win percentage, no SB)

Shouldn't Benson be the first, solely going by win %? Better than Kraft's?

Looks like they either considered the amount of wins or other factors too, like SB wins. 

18 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Shouldn't Benson be the first, solely going by win %? Better than Kraft's?

Looks like they either considered the amount of wins or other factors too, like SB wins. 

I may have made a mistake with the percentages. Krafts has a much better percentage.

I think I meant to write .628.  I will check.