Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IndyStar Article: Doctor discusses AR's injury, history, outlook...

masterlock

Goodness though, this is disconcerting:

Morse -- who has not examined Richardson -- pointed out the lengthy list of physical issues Richardson had battled dating back to high school.  "Out of all of the quarterbacks expected to be drafted, Richardson has one of the longest injury histories," Morse wrote. "Just because a player doesn't miss a game does not mean that they are 100% healthy or did not leave the game early due to injury."

According to Morse's report, Richardson had sustained 11 injuries prior to the AC sprain he suffered Oct. 3 in the game against the Titans. They include four knee injuries, three hamstring injuries, two shoulder injuries, a concussion and an ankle injury. Richardson is 21.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Morse -- who has not examined Richardson -- pointed out the lengthy list of physical issues Richardson had battled dating back to high school.  "Out of all of the quarterbacks expected to be drafted, Richardson has one of the longest injury histories," Morse wrote. "Just because a player doesn't miss a game does not mean that they are 100% healthy or did not leave the game early due to injury."

According to Morse's report, Richardson had sustained 11 injuries prior to the AC sprain he suffered Oct. 3 in the game against the Titans. They include four knee injuries, three hamstring injuries, two shoulder injuries, a concussion and an ankle injury. Richardson is 21.

How many players play while injured? 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He didn't say.  He just said that AR has the most extensive injury history of any of the QBs available for the draft.

My impression is that most people think these injuries were a surprise.  Apparently, if AR was the most injury prone coming into the draft, then what happened to him should not be unexpected or be considered a stroke of bad luck.  That's how I think about it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

He didn't say.  He just said that AR has the most extensive injury history of any of the QBs available for the draft.

My impression is that most people think these injuries were a surprise.  Apparently, if AR was the most injury prone coming into the draft, then what happened to him should not be unexpected or considered a stroke of bad luck.  That's how I think about it.

Mr point was players play with injuries all the time. I bet people would be shocked if they seen every players actual injuries laid out. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

During the course of a players career I would bet they all suffer numerous injuries.  Counting high school and college that’s a lot of years.  Don’t forget their bodies are continually growing and maturing over those years.  And he was very young when he entered the draft.  He came out early too.  I’m not concerned right now.  I think as he matures and learns to play the game smartly he will be okay.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mr point was players play with injuries all the time. I bet people would be shocked if they seen every players actual injuries laid out. 

I'm sure the Dr. knows this.  He was comparing the histories of AR to other QBs in the draft.  That's all.  So if AR gets injured this season more than the other QBs, its not really a surprise, is it?

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

During the course of a players career I would bet they all suffer numerous injuries.  Counting high school and college that’s a lot of years.  Don’t forget their bodies are continually growing and maturing over those years.  And he was very young when he entered the draft.  He came out early too.  I’m not concerned right now.  I think as he matures and learns to play the game smartly he will be okay.

But apparently AR has suffered more injuries than the others.....who also played football when they were the same age as AR.  Whatever degree you think all players play with injuries, apparently AR is near the top of the list.   I'm simply pointing out that the injury history does not appear to be common knowledge and it works counter to the theory that his issues this year are the result of simple bad luck. 

I'm not forecasting the future.

But its good to hear about the shoulder and favorable prospects for recovery and non-re-injury.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I did... Almost every week there was something. Most of them I kept it to myself and didn't tell the coaches. Of course the concussion stuff was much harder to hide when I was literally knocked unconscious. 

In hindsight, it's was a pretty stupid thing to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

My impression is that most people think these injuries were a surprise.  Apparently, if AR was the most injury prone coming into the draft, then what happened to him should not be unexpected or be considered a stroke of bad luck.  That's how I think about it.

I wonder how many of his repeat injuries would have been avoided if he had surgery instead of just playing through it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

At first, I thought you were saying AR was Bob Sanders lol

All of his injuries prior to coming here have been nick-knack injuries except his shoulder. The article states, now that he is having shoulder surgery, the probability of him injuring it again is 3% and it won't affect his throwing motion or arm strength. I like those odds. Of course, there will be a few in here blow his injuries out of proportion chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I wonder how many of his repeat injuries would have been avoided if he had surgery instead of just playing through it.

You could also ask, I wonder how many total games. starts, and football plays he would have had in his career if he had the surgeries instead of playing?  He may have ended up not even playing much football. lost his starting job to another player, or gave up the game after several surgeries.   Lots of IF's no one can answer.  

The way I see it is he was always a high risk pick and they took a pretty big gamble by drafting him where they did.  Im not going to be surprised at all if he doesnt pan out

He could also become a good player thats fun to watch.  I guess we will find out in the next year or two

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Meh. I really don't know how to evaluate this when we don't even know what most of those injuries were and were not serious enough to sideline him for any considerable amount of time. A ton of players, including QBs. have injuries and play through them. Some of those are serious, some not so much. How much does it matter that he's had knocks here and there if he hasn't missed many games with them? 

Here's what I can gather about his injuries:

Senior year HS(2019) - shoulder injury - misses the last month of the season (this seems like the most serious one)

Freshman year College - hamstring, concussion, "nagging pain in right knee which required arthroscopic surgery"(this was done after the season)

You can argue that the only serious injury he's had(before this one) is the shoulder injury in HS and that was like... 4 years ago. 

It's kind of a moot point right now. The important thing is that he's injured now. I hope he learns to protect himself better, but like I've stated previously - I don't want him changing the way he plays. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard said it right in his little interview. Most college players have to learn to protect themselves and learn game speed and he will get it figured out.

It is hard to believe that some overlook the 4 games AR played in regarding experience on the Pro level. Not only did he look unphased at times and play well, him getting injured should teach him a valuable lesson. Going into next season, he should have much more confidence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is hard to believe that some overlook the 4 games AR played in regarding experience on the Pro level. Not only did he look unphased at times and play well, him getting injured should teach him a valuable lesson. Going into next season, he should have much more confidence.

Just to add on to your points I bet it's probably a good thing for his young body not get banged around for a few months and hopefully this few months of rest/rehab/strength training will be good for his future.

Fingers crossed of course.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

Just to add on to your points I bet it's probably a good thing for his young body not get banged around for a few months and hopefully this few months of rest/rehab/strength training will be good for his future.

Fingers crossed of course.

Next year is really going to be fun, especially if we add another playmaker on offense. Downs is already starting to remind me of TY Hilton. Pitt is pretty solid too. We have Taylor taken care of as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Of course, Ballard and folks had to know about it, yet took the risk?? Is that how it played out? Well, water under the bridge, and if he turns it around and plays 80-90% of his games the next few years, all will be forgotten.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Of course, Ballard and folks had to know about it, yet took the risk?? Is that how it played out? Well, water under the bridge, and if he turns it around and plays 80-90% of his games the next few years, all will be forgotten.

Oh sure.  I wouldn't begin to opine about what Ballard knew.  In the timeliness about the forum's current discussions about AR, this is simply a new bit of info that adds to what we as fans knew or didn't know all of this time.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Meh. I really don't know how to evaluate this when we don't even know what most of those injuries were and were not serious enough to sideline him for any considerable amount of time. A ton of players, including QBs. have injuries and play through them. Some of those are serious, some not so much. How much does it matter that he's had knocks here and there if he hasn't missed many games with them? 

Here's what I can gather about his injuries:

Senior year HS(2019) - shoulder injury - misses the last month of the season (this seems like the most serious one)

Freshman year College - hamstring, concussion, "nagging pain in right knee which required arthroscopic surgery"(this was done after the season)

You can argue that the only serious injury he's had(before this one) is the shoulder injury in HS and that was like... 4 years ago. 

It's kind of a moot point right now. The important thing is that he's injured now. I hope he learns to protect himself better, but like I've stated previously - I don't want him changing the way he plays. 

Oh sure, if I did not say it I meant to.  The Dr. is giving his opinion, but we don't really know what he looked at or the seriousness of the injuries.

All we can infer is that he looked at all of the QBs equally, and concluded that AR was near the top of the list in injury frequency. I assume as a Dr. of medical sports, he's not going to equate contusions with tears, etc, so his conclusion about AR's frequency relative to the other QBs he's talking about seems objective to me.

AR and his shoulder will be fine. 

Last time I’ll say this: Tua was injured constantly to start his career and everyone said he should call it quits. The guy learned how to protect himself and fall properly, and now look at him. 

Richardson will learn to protect himself better with hits and being knocked down. 

Everyone needs to stop panicking and putting their own narrative on things. The ship isn’t going down and no one needs a life boat or vest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh sure, if I did not say it I meant to.  The Dr. is giving his opinion, but we don't really know what he looked at or the seriousness of the injuries.

All we can infer is that he looked at all of the QBs equally, and concluded that AR was near the top of the list in injury frequency. I assume as a Dr. of medical sports, he's not going to equate contusions with tears, etc, so his conclusion about AR's frequency relative to the other QBs he's talking about seems objective to me.

F_EnEboWEAAF4Yz?format=jpg&name=small

Since I don't have the reports about his injury... is this true? Are 3 of the 4 knee injuries the same single injury(I assume that was the "nagging pain in the knee" report I found)? And the 4th knee injury being one where he sprained his knee dancing(and he doesn't seem to have missed any games for any of those)? The rest seems to be... a concussion, hamstring injuries and the shoulder injury. I really have no idea about the qualifications of that doctor and if/whether he has some axe to grind like some fans seem to be suggesting... 

But in general... again... it's kind of a moot point at this current time. Ballard and the Colts medical staff seems to have been OK with his medical report before the draft. At least OK enough to draft him top 5. I don't see anything of big concern in his medical history(with the limited info we have). There are players with much worse histories than this. For me the much more pressing issue right now is his ability to protect himself, rather than... again... some supposed horrible medical history that is so convoluted and uncertain that even that doctor doesn't seem know what his exact injuries are and why he's missed like... a month or two of play in 5 years with such "horrific" medical history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

Since I don't have the reports about his injury... is this true? Are 3 of the 4 knee injuries the same single injury(I assume that was the "nagging pain in the knee" report I found)? And the 4th knee injury being one where he sprained his knee dancing(and he doesn't seem to have missed any games for any of those)? The rest seems to be... a concussion, hamstring injuries and the shoulder injury. I really have no idea about the qualifications of that doctor and if/whether he has some axe to grind like some fans seem to be suggesting... 

But in general... again... it's kind of a moot point at this current time. Ballard and the Colts medical staff seems to have been OK with his medical report before the draft. At least OK enough to draft him top 5. I don't see anything of big concern in his medical history(with the limited info we have). There are players with much worse histories than this. For me the much more pressing issue right now is his ability to protect himself, rather than... again... some supposed horrible medical history that is so convoluted and uncertain that even that doctor doesn't seem know what his exact injuries are and why he's missed like... a month or two of play in 5 years with such "horrific" medical history. 

Yeah, folks can dig into this as deeply as they want.  Anything reported in the media can be biased or simply misinformed or exaggerated.  I don't know the legitimacy of the site that's hosting the article.

I also don't know what agenda could be promoted by this article, or what the reason would be to lie or misinform.  I assume it comes down to what his definition of injuries are, and if its the same definition he applied to the history of the other QBs.  Since the injuries could be a result of the teams reporting something, what gets reported by one team might not get reported by another.  

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yes it seems so. This doctor went on a blocking spree and blocked all the colt fans who disagreed with his little tweet about richarsdons injuries. I mean one that was listed on there said he hurt it dancing lol.