Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IndyStar Article: Doctor discusses AR's injury, history, outlook...

masterlock

4 hours ago, stitches said:

For me the much more pressing issue right now is his ability to protect himself, rather than... again... some supposed horrible medical history that is so convoluted and uncertain that even that doctor doesn't seem know what his exact injuries are and why he's missed like... a month or two of play in 5 years with such "horrific" medical history. 

Exactly. Handwringing over unknown and undocumented injuries in high school is pointless. If he had some major injuries and imaging shows scar tissue, let's talk. But if it's just some discomfort that he played through, it's not worth anyone's time. That's true of every high school athlete, and there's no standard for reporting and documenting, so it's probably impossible to even make a meaningful comparison, even if we had similar reporting on other QBs (which we conveniently don't...)

And maybe the fact that Richardson played however many high school and college games with a partially torn AC joint in his throwing shoulder is a testament to his toughness, more than it is a signal that he's prone to injury. It sounds like he's been playing through a major vulnerability for the last few years.

As for his injuries this season, he wasn't missing practice time with soft tissue injuries, he wasn't pulling his hamstring every time he sprinted... He had three full contact injuries in a short period of time. It sucks, but it's football. When your knee gets twisted between two defenders, you'll probably get hurt. If your head hits the turf, you'll probably have concussion symptoms. If a defender lands on your shoulder, you'll probably get hurt. People want to label players as injury prone, but this is physics.

All I care about on the injury front is whether Richardson can make the adjustments to avoid some of the contact he subjected himself to. If he can, then he can stay on the field and resume his development. And if he can't, we need to find someone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Got it.

I mean he’s not wrong.  I think if anything he’s guilty of presenting information that some Colts fans don’t like/didn’t want to hear and then he choose not to deal with people who went after him for it.  Doesn’t mean he will be proven correct but he does have a point that players who have a history of injuries do tend to get more more often than not.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean he’s not wrong.  I think if anything he’s guilty of presenting information that some Colts fans don’t like/didn’t want to hear and then he choose not to deal with people who went after him for it.  Doesn’t mean he will be proven correct but he does have a point that players who have a history of injuries do tend to get more more often than not.  

High school injuries?  I don't recall ever hearing anything about players high school injuries.   Are they even verified?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at it again. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Got it.

im more concerned that according to this list, AR’s first injury occurred July 5th 1905.  Didn’t realize Richardson was over a 100 years old.  I always prefer drafting younger guys as the ceiling is higher vs a ready made product with limited room for growth.  I mean if he didn’t figure it out 90 years later in 95, he surely won’t elevate his game in 2024.  BUST!

5 minutes ago, Nate! said:

im more concerned that according to this list, AR’s first injury occurred July 5th 1905.  Didn’t realize Richardson was over a 100 years old.  I always prefer drafting younger guys as the ceiling is higher vs a ready made product with limited room for growth.  I mean if he didn’t figure it out 90 years later in 95, he surely won’t elevate his game in 2024.  BUST!

He did say that was a typo after everyone was laughing at that.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

High school injuries?  I don't recall ever hearing anything about players high school injuries.   Are they even verified?

I have no clue but if they are just because they happened in high school and aren’t as widely reported as college or NFL injuries doesn’t mean they don’t count.  My point is that he’s correct when he says the best way to predict future injury is past injury.  That doesn’t mean it’s a lock that Richardson is going to be doomed by injuries but the fact he’s already out for the year and had only played one full game before that should at least make people go well that’s not a good start or a normal in regards to injuries.  Can it be over come?  Sure, and for the record I hope it is, but yeah I think most people would at least go hey this is concerning.  I also think a lot of people excited about Richardson don’t like to hear anything that suggests he might not work out and sometimes when you say things people don’t want to hear people go after you.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I wonder what people think of Burrow at this point? Has he even played a full season yet?

I think it's safe to say that no QB is safe. They're all injury prone at this point. 

The iron man days of our youth are over. 

I remember on one of the ManningCast games, both Peyton and Eli talked about all of the injuries they accumulated over the years that they tried to play through. If I recall, Peyton even said he was injured practically all of the 2010 season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think it's safe to say that no QB is safe. They're all injury prone at this point. 

The iron man days of our youth are over. 

I remember on one of the ManningCast games, both Peyton and Eli talked about all of the injuries they accumulated over the years that they tried to play through. If I recall, Peyton even said he was injured practically all of the 2010 season. 

I don’t think players are more injured nowadays, I just think teams and the league are more strict about it now.

- I don’t think players can hide it as easily. 

Could also be players are just more soft now and want to protect themselves for financial reasons.

But the days of 200 straight games without injury are definitely over. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have no clue but if they are just because they happened in high school and aren’t as widely reported as college or NFL injuries doesn’t mean they don’t count.  My point is that he’s correct when he says the best way to predict future injury is past injury.  That doesn’t mean it’s a lock that Richardson is going to be doomed by injuries but the fact he’s already out for the year and had only played one full game before that should at least make people go well that’s not a good start or a normal in regards to injuries.  Can it be over come?  Sure, and for the record I hope it is, but yeah I think most people would at least go hey this is concerning.  I also think a lot of people excited about Richardson don’t like to hear anything that suggests he might not work out and sometimes when you say things people don’t want to hear people go after you.  

True. But also, when you bring your opinion with the honest disclosure that you weren't a fan of the AR pick to begin with (though you accepted it and got behind the team like a true Colts fan), it is only natural that people aren't rushing to embrace your opinion as not a bit slanted. It may not be fair to you but that is just how it is, in life, if someone knows your history and preferences, no matter how objective you think you are.

Happens all the time on this forum, to you, to me etc.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. But also, when you bring your opinion with the honest disclosure that you weren't a fan of the AR pick to begin with (though you accepted it and got behind the team like a true Colts fan), it is only natural that people aren't rushing to embrace your opinion as not a bit slanted. It may not be fair to you but that is just how it is, in life, if someone knows your history and preferences, no matter how objective you think you are.

Happens all the time on this forum, to you, to me etc.

People don’t have to embrace his opinion that’s fine.  I was more addressing the idea some seem to be pushing that because he’s blocking Colts fans on twitter that that somehow means he has an agenda.

He could have an agenda or he could simply not want to take abuse from people on social media because he posted something that’s not popular.  You can not value someone’s opinion and not respond to them and tell them why or go after them.  Again, I don’t know for a fact if that’s what happened.  There seems to be a rush by those that don’t like what he has to say to discredit him.  One could argue that’s also an agenda.  

His point about the best indicator or future injuries is past injuries is very true.  I will keep saying that doesn’t mean Richardson is doomed to an injury riddled career and it doesn’t mean all the information he is sharing regarding Richardson’s past injuries is correct.  By the same token just because people don’t like that information doesn’t mean it’s false either.  Just like with the date it seems pretty clear to me that was a typo, which happens all the time, not an indication that he’s lying.  

I am not getting too worked up about this either way because I don’t know Richardson’s injury history well enough to know if it’s true or not and I don’t think anyone here does either.  I file this under everything I do with random people from social media, be leery of it and wait for a real news organization to confirm or dispute it.  

To me the fact Richardson has only finished one game in his NFL career and had a season ending injury before he was half through it is much more concerning than this tweet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I wonder what people think of Burrow at this point? Has he even played a full season yet?

Yeah he has been injury prone. The appendicitis was before the season and thst really isn’t a injury. I think he played all 17 last two seasons. I believe it was just his rookie year where he hurt his ACL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like burrow had some kind of table pad on that he had never worn before. This almost sounds like a UCL injury similar to what purdy had. If that’s the case he is fine for the year.

Source? Or is this your opinion? 

Not jesting or mocking you. Dead seriously asking if I should keep having the slight slimmer of hope lol...

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

People don’t have to embrace his opinion that’s fine.  I was more addressing the idea some seem to be pushing that because he’s blocking Colts fans on twitter that that somehow means he has an agenda.

I think when you say a team "chose to ignore" red flags, it doesn't come off as impartial. 

His point about the best indicator or future injuries is past injuries is very true.

I think this can be true in a general sense. But not if we're talking about unrelated injuries. For example, the knee injuries he dealt with in high school and college were to his right knee; how does that help predict a contact-related injury to his left knee in the pros? (Also, I'm certain the Colts were aware of this, and the medical checks include extensive imaging, so the idea that they would have ignored it doesn't seem reasonable.)

The shoulder is obvious, and everyone made the connection when Richardson got hurt. But again, doesn't mean the Colts ignored the history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah he has been injury prone. The appendicitis was before the season and thst really isn’t a injury. I think he played all 17 last two seasons. I believe it was just his rookie year where he hurt his ACL.

Looked it up out of curiosity. He played 16 games last season and the season before that. He actually hasn’t played a full season yet it seems?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

He played every game during their Super Bowl run season in 2021. 

Correction: He did sit out at the end of that season against the Browns, but it wasn't due to injury. By that point the Bengals had locked up the AFC North crown so they decided to keep Burrow and the starters off the field and prepare for the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He played every game during their Super Bowl run season in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Correction: He did sit out at the end of that season against the Browns, but it wasn't due to injury. By that point the Bengals had locked up the AFC North crown so they decided to keep Burrow and the starters off the field and prepare for the playoffs. 

My bad. I’ll admit I just looked up games played, not reasons for missing games. :thmup:

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

My bad. I’ll admit I just looked up games played, not reasons for missing games. :thmup:

Yep. It's a pretty big connection: 

When Burrow is healthy all season he obviously balls out and can win playoff games. 

I'm wondering if the Bengals will use this season as an excuse to move on from Zac Taylor... 

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

I'm wondering if the Bengals will use this season as an excuse to move on from Zac Taylor... 

That would be crazy to me. They kept Marvin Lewis for ages, with no playoff success. Having a short leash on Taylor, who has already had more success than Lewis ever did, would be wild.

The Bengals are having a rough season. It's primarily because of injuries to Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. I think they'll lick their wounds the rest of this year, and regroup in the offseason (probably without Higgins, but that's how this league works). I don't think they need to make any major changes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. It's a pretty big connection: 

When Burrow is healthy all season he obviously balls out and can win playoff games. 

I think Burrow is the top pure passer in the league right now. When he’s healthy and balling it’s probably only Mahomes who can match him.

I don’t follow the Bengals closely, is there unhappiness with Taylor?

Just now, Solid84 said:

I don’t follow the Bengals closely, is there unhappiness with Taylor?

There's starting to be talk in Cincinnati yeah. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That would be crazy to me. They kept Marvin Lewis for ages, with no playoff success. Having a short leash on Taylor, who has already had more success than Lewis ever did, would be wild.

The Bengals are having a rough season. It's primarily because of injuries to Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. I think they'll lick their wounds the rest of this year, and regroup in the offseason (probably without Higgins, but that's how this league works). I don't think they need to make any major changes.

That's a fair assessment to me. I'm 50/50 on him at the moment. 

Like a lot of coaches, he makes mistakes and gets lost in his own playcalling similar to Reich and other playcalling head coaches. But, he certainly has achieved far more with the team compared to years prior. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The silence is deafening. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That's a fair assessment to me. I'm 50/50 on him at the moment. 

Like a lot of coaches, he makes mistakes and gets lost in his own playcalling similar to Reich and other playcalling head coaches. But, he certainly has achieved far more with the team compared to years prior. 

No doubt he's not perfect. But with a healthy Burrow, they went to the SB, and then to the AFCCG. Unless it really goes sideways, I think they should stick with him.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

No doubt he's not perfect. But with a healthy Burrow, they went to the SB, and then to the AFCCG. Unless it really goes sideways, I think they should stick with him.

I will say this, he certainly has not lost the locker room. That's such a huge thing that a lot of people who have never played in any level miss out on, for how crucial it is to team success. 

They need to get Joe over to Tom Brady and get him into the TB12 program. The kid already goes to bed at 6PM during the season, so I'm sure he's more than disciplined enough to do what Tom was doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I will say this, he certainly has not lost the locker room. That's such a huge thing that a lot of people who have never played in any level miss out on, for how crucial it is to team success. 

They need to get Joe over to Tom Brady and get him into the TB12 program. The kid already goes to bed at 6PM during the season, so I'm sure he's more than disciplined enough to do what Tom was doing. 

Tom was also very lucky to have had so few injuries over his career

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like burrow had some kind of pad on his elbow that he had never worn before. This almost sounds like a UCL injury similar to what purdy had. If that’s the case he is fine for the year.

He seems to be injured a lot.

He must be made of the same glass as AR.  :hide: