Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bryce Young is terrible. He's a bust.

Indeee

Carolina needs to take a QB and will be in position to do so.

Also, I don't want to hear he's a rookie, give him some time, and that he doesn't have many weapons non-sense that Herbstreit was saying last night. All of what he said is true however the eyes don't lie here. This guy is not it and that is so evident. 

Admit the mistake and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Also, I don't want to hear he's a rookie, give him some time, and that he doesn't have many weapons non-sense that Herbstreit was saying last night. All of what he said is true however the eyes don't lie here. This guy is not it and that is so evident. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but Carolina gave away their '24 first round pick to the Bears. 

So no, they're not in a position to draft another one. Young would be doing a lot better within a scheme that actually works for him. The Reich offense is not a scheme that works for him. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Carolina gave away their '24 first round pick to the Bears. 

So no, they're not in a position to draft another one. Young would be doing a lot better within a scheme that actually works for him. The Reich offense is not a scheme that works for him. 

Oh wow. Did not remember that. Yea, then Carolina is, yea, you know...

• Like 2

Just now, Indeee said:

Oh wow. Did not remember that. Yea, then Carolina is, yea, you know...

Agreed. It's pretty bad. I mentioned in the other thread that had Tepper been patient his team could've been electric this year. 

They could've kept CMC, Moore and then drafted Levis at 9. 

• Like 2

I have always said I have a 2-year rule for rookies. I want to see a QB play at least 2 full seasons whether I declare them a bust, average, good, or potentially be great. Roughly a decent sample size = 30 games or so. I wonder how many in here thought Peyton was a bust after he went 3-13 his rookie season and threw 28 INT's. A sample size of 10 or 20 games isn't enough to determine anything. Any QB can start off hot and play good or great for 10-20 games or so, then fizzle. I have my eye on Brock Purdy. Then, any QB can start off bad for 10-20 games and turn out to be good or great.

• Like 3

Bryce Young is terrible. He basically has to stand on his tippy-toes to see over the O-Line. He's slow, unathletic, and short. He can't throw past 10 yards and he looks scared out there. Can't process the field, takes forever to make his reads. He's worse than Tyson Bagent, (who's a UDFA QB). Honestly, Bryce Young should have been a 4th or 5th round QB project. Dave Tepper is a horrible judge of talent for giving up that much for Young.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have always said I have a 2-year rule for rookies. I want to see a QB play at least 2 full seasons whether I declare them a bust, average, good, or potentially be great. Roughly a decent sample size = 30 games or so. I wonder how many in here thought Peyton was a bust after he went 3-13 his rookie season and threw 28 INT's. A sample size of 10 or 20 games isn't enough to determine anything. Any QB can start off hot and play good or great for 10-20 games or so, then fizzle. I have my eye on Brock Purdy. Then, any QB can start off bad for 10-20 games and turn out to be good or great.

Pretty much all #1 overall QBs struggle their first year. 

Lawrence lost most of his games and dealt with probably the 2nd worst head coach of all time in Urban Meyer (second only to McDaniels), Burrow was like 1-5 before getting injured and out for the season, Stafford had the shoulder injury and was also out, Peyton broke the record for interceptions... 

Young needs a different offense. 

• Like 4

Just now, RollerColt said:

Pretty much all #1 overall QBs struggle their first year. 

Lawrence lost most of his games and dealt with probably the 2nd worst head coach of all time in Urban Meyer (second only to McDaniels), Burrow was like 1-5 before getting injured and out for the season, Stafford had the shoulder injury and was also out, Peyton broke the record for interceptions... 

Young needs a different offense. 

That is one huge reason why I always give rookies that 2nd year. Lawrence is another great example.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Bryce Young is terrible. He basically has to stand on his tippy-toes to see over the O-Line. He's slow, unathletic, and short. He can't throw past 10 yards and he looks scared out there. Can't process the field, takes forever to make his reads. He's worse than Tyson Bagent, (who's a UDFA QB). Honestly, Bryce Young should have been a 4th or 5th round QB project. Dave Tepper is a horrible judge of talent for giving up that much for Young.

Yea, he is terrible. Any laymen can see this. It's not just scheme. Any "athlete/QB" has to have some instinctual playmaking ability within in them so even in times when the scheme or talent around them isn't up to par, there is still some moments of witness that the QB has ability. In this case, 10 weeks in, Bryce Young has shown zero signs of having any of that underlying ability. He is a bust, and where some are still trying to give him, a pass based on whatever, deep down, they know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm tellin' ya guys, take a look at the 22. 

His receivers are practically never open in this scheme. Even bad defenses are blanketing them. And worse of all? They're using the same plays TWICE in quarters. And most of those plays are these long drawn out routes where the WR takes forever to even turn and look. That's not good for a rookie QB. Defenses aren't scared by this offense at all. 

Now, with that said, Young has some serious physical deficiencies... His velocity is just not NFL level. He seems to need to put his entire body into intermediate throws. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

His receivers are practically never open in this scheme. Even bad defenses are blanketing them. And worse of all? They're using the same plays TWICE in quarters. And most of those plays are these long drawn out routes where the WR takes forever to even turn and look. That's not good for a rookie QB. Defenses aren't scared by this offense at all. 

Now, with that said, Young has some serious physical deficiencies... His velocity is just not NFL level. He seems to need to put his entire body into intermediate throws. 

I'm not doubting you about his lack of players around him and even that Reich should stop being handed the keys to an NFL franchise. Young just does not look to have any of "it" that you need to be a polished QB in the NFL especially given that he was the number one overall pick and especially coming from a pro-system crimson tide team. If he was selected in the 3rd round or later than I personally would be like yea give him some time, but he was #1. Even with Lawrence, Lawrence still showed that there was something there even through the struggles. Young has not from what I have seen. I could be wrong and he might become Joe Montana, but I don't see it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I am not sure if it was Tepper's decision or Scott Fitterer's decision because I have a hard time thinking Frank Reich would have been banging the table for Bryce Young to be drafted. Frank likes big armed QBs typically. They could have stayed at No.9, drafted Levis and taken their chances, IMO.

Maybe Bryce Young would have ended up with the Texans and given us the inside chance for Stroud (which would have been nice :))??? Water under the bridge.

Picking No.1 for a QB, unless there is a can't miss prospect, is a bad spot to be in when there is no standout QB. Bryce Young, Frank is not the right HC to groom him plus his limited ceiling and the pressure of being drafted No.1 is going to weigh on him as time goes on. For the sake of that young man, I hope he finds "some" success in the NFL over the next few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not doubting you about his lack of players around him and even that Reich should stop being handed the keys to an NFL franchise. Young just does not look to have any of "it" that you need to be a polished QB in the NFL especially given that he was the number one overall pick and especially coming from a pro-system crimson tide team. If he was selected in the 3rd round or later than I personally would be like yea give him some time, but he was #1. Even with Lawrence, Lawrence still showed that there was something there even through the struggles. Young has not from what I have seen. I could be wrong and he might become Joe Montana, but I don't see it. 

His confidence is shaken for sure. You can see that he doesn't trust his receivers which is why he's just randomly taking off trying to get the 1st down in the middle of the field. That is just not sustainable and is dangerous.

I also agree, he hasn't shown any "wow" moments. I mean he hit on that 45 yard pass to Strachan, but that was about it as far as last night.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people were declaring Mac Jones to be good after his rookie season because yes, he had a good rookie season. I wanted to see what he would do in year 2 before I went that far with it. Year 2 he fizzled, now he is plain bad. 

Jones has unfortunately had his development trajectory greatly influenced by an absolutely dysfunctional coaching staff in New England. 

It's a shame. He should be a lot better than what he is right now.

It reminds me of Alex Smith's time with the Niners. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Jones has unfortunately had his development trajectory greatly influenced by an absolutely dysfunctional coaching staff in New England. 

It's a shame. He should be a lot better than what he is right now.

It reminds me of Alex Smith's time with the Niners. 

Yeah, coaching and scheme is a huge part of it. Alex Smith looked like a different QB once Harbaugh took over. Then in KC, he was good under Reid. Look at Geno Smith, his career looked like a bust then he gets with Pete Carroll. Boom looks good last year. 

Too early IMO. Like others have said, they gave up their 2024 1st to trade up for him, so they are almost forced to give him another year, but IMO even without it they need to try to make it work with him. And unfortunately for Frank Reich this might mean giving him a better and more modern offense to run. Think about what Mike McDaniel did with Tua in Miami - Tua had very similar struggles in his rookie year, but has turned things around and now the biggest concern for him is his health rather than his level of play. And of course , this has to come with better supporting cast as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, coaching and scheme is a huge part of it. Alex Smith looked like a different QB once Harbaugh took over. Then in KC, he was good under Reid. Look at Geno Smith, his career looked like a bust then he gets with Pete Carroll. Boom looks good last year. 

Absolutely. A stable offensive philosophy and scheme matters a great deal for a QB's development. If they do not fit that style, they aren't going to have success. 

Imagine how much better Luck would've been had he played in a stable offense system that didn't change every year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Absolutely. A stable offensive philosophy and scheme matters a great deal for a QB's development. If they do not fit that style, they aren't going to have success. 

Imagine how much better Luck would've been had he played in a stable offense system that didn't change every year. 

If Luck would have had the coaching Peyton had from 2002-2010, who knows what he would have accomplished? I would say similar to what Peyton did. He even had the run factor, we will never know though. The Peyton/Dungy combo from 2002-2008 won 76% of their games and won a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am not sure if it was Tepper's decision or Scott Fitterer's decision because I have a hard time thinking Frank Reich would have been banging the table for Bryce Young to be drafted. Frank likes big armed QBs typically. They could have stayed at No.9, drafted Levis and taken their chances, IMO.

Maybe Bryce Young would have ended up with the Texans and given us the inside chance for Stroud (which would have been nice :))??? Water under the bridge.

Picking No.1 for a QB, unless there is a can't miss prospect, is a bad spot to be in when there is no standout QB. Bryce Young, Frank is not the right HC to groom him plus his limited ceiling and the pressure of being drafted No.1 is going to weigh on him as time goes on. For the sake of that young man, I hope he finds "some" success in the NFL over the next few years.

They fell victim to the hype.  Their owner is to blame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Too early IMO. Like others have said, they gave up their 2024 1st to trade up for him, so they are almost forced to give him another year, but IMO even without it they need to try to make it work with him. And unfortunately for Frank Reich this might mean giving him a better and more modern offense to run. Think about what Mike McDaniel did with Tua in Miami - Tua had very similar struggles in his rookie year, but has turned things around and now the biggest concern for him is his health rather than his level of play. And of course , this has to come with better supporting cast as well. 

Aside from the outlier height question, these are the exact same issues Tua had as a rookie. Arm strength, athleticism, crumbling under pressure. And coincidentally, Tua and Young are similar as prospects -- accurate, good processing and anticipation, good grasp of concepts, some improvisational ability, but just average in size and arm talent. 

It's taken a Shanahan disciple to get Tua going, along with some serious weapons on offense. Shanahan and his guys seem to have a step up on everyone in the NFL right now. McDaniel, Bobby Slowik, etc., they're playing from a different set of rules sometimes. And Frank Reich is stuck in the early 2000s, building an offense for Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisberger, and asking the smallest QB of all time to run it. I'm not optimistic that Reich can put Young in position to succeed, and I think the Panthers roster needs a lot of work -- not old, tall WRs who don't threaten defenses with speed, like Adam Thielen.

Of course it's too early to call it on Young either way, but he's not in a great situation, and it's hard to see the Panthers making major changes this soon. They put together what they thought was an all star coaching staff, and firing all those guys after one year would be pretty expensive. Not only that, the Panthers operation seems to be bad at hiring execs and HCs, so even if they do clean house, there's no reason to believe that they'd hire the right people moving forward.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Indeee said:

young is far from the problem ..its like i said before..frank is the issue..which is why he always went with veteran QBs when he was here

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

No one can convince me he was Frank Reich’s 1st choice for quarterback.  No one.  He was forced on Frank plain and simple.  I blame Frank for not vetting out the Carolina ownership and GM more thoroughly.  Either he messed up or they lied to him.  He is in a real bad place right now.  Young and Reich is like oil trying to mix with water.  It doesn’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He is doing OK for a rookie without weapons.   Almost 63% accuracy, more TD's than INT's and an OK rating.  Not a bust yet.   i would label Reich the bust.

He's at 63% because he throws 10 screen passes a game (which supports the idea that Reich is a big part of the problem). I don't think his rating is okay; it's 5th worse in the league, 75.9. He averages 5.4 yards/attempt, which is the lowest mark in the league. Adjusted net yards/attempt includes sack yardage and INTs, and there he's at 3.67, second worst in the league, behind only Daniel Jones. He's at 2.8% TD%. 

Stuff like on-target percentage is subjective, but he's second worst in the league there, 64.4%; Minshew is at 74%. He faces a lot of pressure, but it's about league median, 20.8% (Daniel Jones is at 30.5%, Zach Wilson 30.9%). 

He's just not doing anything to contribute to effective offense. He's one of the most inefficient passers in the league. He doesn't beat pressure, not in the air or on the ground (with any regularity; he had a couple of good plays last night). And just watching him play, it looks like he struggles with the basics -- he's slow to recognize coverages and make reads (and this was supposed to be his major advantage coming to the NFL), he doesn't have a strong arm, he hasn't been very accurate, and he doesn't respond to pressure well.

I don't think he's doing okay. I don't think it's all on him, and I'm not closing the door on him. But I don't think his performance has been encouraging at all. (Tua and Trevor had similar starts. It would be silly to write off a talented rookie this early.)

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No one can convince me he was Frank Reich’s 1st choice for quarterback.  No one.  He was forced on Frank plain and simple.

I don't want to argue with y'all about this because we'll probably never know, but I don't understand how anyone is so convinced that Frank Reich didn't want Bryce Young. I get the logic, he's not a prototypical Reich guy. That doesn't mean Reich didn't want him. Young isn't anyone's prototype at QB.

12 hours ago, Indeee said:

Didn't Peyton Manning have a terrible rookie year where the Colts went 3-13? 

Edited by JakeFootball
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's at 63% because he throws 10 screen passes a game (which supports the idea that Reich is a big part of the problem). I don't think his rating is okay; it's 5th worse in the league, 75.9. He averages 5.4 yards/attempt, which is the lowest mark in the league. Adjusted net yards/attempt includes sack yardage and INTs, and there he's at 3.67, second worst in the league, behind only Daniel Jones. He's at 2.8% TD%. 

Stuff like on-target percentage is subjective, but he's second worst in the league there, 64.4%; Minshew is at 74%. He faces a lot of pressure, but it's about league median, 20.8% (Daniel Jones is at 30.5%, Zach Wilson 30.9%). 

He's just not doing anything to contribute to effective offense. He's one of the most inefficient passers in the league. He doesn't beat pressure, not in the air or on the ground (with any regularity; he had a couple of good plays last night). And just watching him play, it looks like he struggles with the basics -- he's slow to recognize coverages and make reads (and this was supposed to be his major advantage coming to the NFL), he doesn't have a strong arm, he hasn't been very accurate, and he doesn't respond to pressure well.

I don't think he's doing okay. I don't think it's all on him, and I'm not closing the door on him. But I don't think his performance has been encouraging at all. (Tua and Trevor had similar starts. It would be silly to write off a talented rookie this early.)

Gotta give him 3 years before writing him off, but as you said previously the biggest question is what do the Panthers do within those 3 years. 

Listening to some of the retired NFL vets, they’ve mentioned it was back in the old days where the offense was set and the QB was expected to grow into that system. Now for most coaches it’s the opposite where they craft the offense around the QB so they can have early success. 

To me it seems like Frank is still in the old school mindset, and the fact that he was hired so quickly after being let go by us perhaps told him that his philosophy isn’t inefficient (we all know it is). The Panthers hired him for a reason. They bought into this philosophy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JakeFootball said:

Didn't Peyton Manning have a terrible rookie year where the Colts went 3-13? 

There are a lot of QB's who turned out great that had bad early careers. Difference is that Young does not look the part. The basic stuff he doesn't do well. For all the hype, from where he came from, to where he was selected, he really doesn't look like he belongs in regard to where most think he would/will end up. That place being elite. 

OVERREACTION!!

QB Bryce Young has just completed his 10th week of NFL competition.

The Carolina Panthers had far fewer "offensive pieces" available to Frank Reich than the Colts had in place for Anthony Richardson.

Since the Panthers "gave away a kings ransom" to get the opportunity to draft Bryce Young - the opportunities to "build thru the draft" are slim and slimmer.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

i meant, OK for a rookie in that offense.   I'm not a fan of his but I wouldn't call him a bust yet.

The Panthers owner is not happy with Reich's offense.

... I am told Panthers owner David Tepper is frustrated by this offense and its lack of improvement. Some in the building believe the roster hasn’t been built correctly, while others criticize the offense overall. This is an offense some league sources have described as “boring,” “predictable” and even “lifeless.”

Did they pick the right quarterback? Most NFL executives and coaches around the league are emphatic that it’s too early to tell and that it’s unfair to judge Young after only nine games. I was told when this organization selected him out of Alabama, almost every single team employee was on board. We’re talking scouts, coaches, head coach, general manager and owner — all believed Young was the guy based on their research, data and in-person meetings.

The opinion that Young is the future is still the unified belief based on conversations with multiple team sources. That’s excellent news for Panthers fans — everyone remains in lockstep.

So if the player appears right, what’s wrong?

The young quarterback needs help. He needs protection. He needs a run game. He needs cleaner route running from his receivers. He needs play calling that instills confidence and creates momentum.

https://theathletic.com/5054316/2023/11/11/nfl-news-panthers-bill-belichick-bijan-robinson?source=user-shared-article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Young is Kyler Murray without the athleticism and arm basically. At least when Murray was drafted no1 overall, he was an athletic QB in the mold of a Mahomes or a Lamar Jackson. He was just short. He can still hit as a QB as long as he has legs and his rocket arm. Bryce Young has neither, and he's short. That mistake will look even worse as time goes on IMO. He's basically a short QB with a high football IQ, but his limitations on the field will stop him from becoming more than a game manager at best IMO. 

The scheme may not be in his favor, but I don't think it really matters. He can't throw beyond 10 yards, and he takes too long to process his reads. His physical limitations only worsen his chance to succeed. In hindsight, he probably should have been a 4th or 5th round project QB, and he had helium because of looking good on Alabama and being extremely intelligent. I fell for it too.

• Like 1