Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bryce Young is terrible. He's a bust.

Indeee

As others have said, I need to see at least 2 seasons before I write him off.  I think what’s happening to Young is a collection of failures:

Frank Reich:  in an article I read, I found an interesting quote: “According to Russini, the Panthers’ offense has been called boring,” “predictable,” and “lifeless” in her conversations with league sources.”  If you replaced Panthers with Colts, you’d think the article was old.  Reich is supposed to be this QB whisperer and I have yet to see him work his magic.  Let’s say Young wasn’t his choice, but if you’re supposed to be this QB guru, then Reich should be able to create an offense that works for him.  

Scott Fitterer:  the panthers are DEVOID of talent.  I think it would be hard for any QB to win with that team.  The offensive line is HORRIBLE and the weapons he has won’t get Young anywhere.  If you knew you were going to draft an undersized QB then the main objective should’ve been building up the offensive line.  Once again, the GM has not helped young out.

Offensive Line:  that offensive line is horrible.  Young is the 4th most sacked qb in the league.  Since the panthers don’t have a first next year, they need to shell out some money to build that offensive line.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 7:17 AM, RollerColt said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Carolina gave away their '24 first round pick to the Bears. 

So no, they're not in a position to draft another one. Young would be doing a lot better within a scheme that actually works for him. The Reich offense is not a scheme that works for him. 

People say that Reich is good at developing quarterbacks and putting them in a position to succeed. So I guess that’s not true.

23 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

People say that Reich is good at developing quarterbacks and putting them in a position to succeed. So I guess that’s not true.

I think he's perfect for that role as long as he's not the one creating the offensive scheme. He's the right guy to be teaching the QB how to play the position for sure. He's been there and done that. 

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well that didn't last very long...

Yeah, I was skeptical about it to begin with. Even with what he said in the off-season, to me it was obvious he does NOT want to give up playcalling. His answer to firing some of his assistants when he was with the Colts was not to delegate more reponsibility to the newly promoted offensive staff... it was to take on that relinquished responsibility himself. To me it seems like when things are not going well, he's the type of coach who thinks he should be doing more, rather than thinking he's doing what he's doing inadequately so he should try to find someone else who can do better. 

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I was skeptical about it to begin with. Even with what he said in the off-season, to me it was obvious he does NOT want to give up playcalling. His answer to firing some of his assistants when he was with the Colts was not to delegate more reponsibility to the newly promoted offensive staff... it was to take on that relinquished responsibility himself. To me it seems like when things are not going well, he's the type of coach who thinks he should be doing more, rather than thinking he's doing what he's doing inadequately so he should try to find someone else who can do better. 

I hoped, for his sake, that he was learning the importance of delegating. Or maybe, the importance of delegating had been emphasized to him as he came on with the Panthers. But taking back play calling after three weeks is pretty solid proof that he can't let it go, no matter what he says to the contrary. At least he didn't fire the OC this time...

And he apparently doesn't get the optics. The Cowboys have completely demolished below average teams this season. If he had waited another week, after they predictably bottom out, he could have taken it back under favorable circumstances. But if things go the way I expect them to go, it's going to look like the team is completely hopeless. And they probably are, no matter who the play caller is.

I think Reich will be one and done, and Fitterer will probably be gone with him. I don't see the Panthers season getting any better. They play Dallas, two against the Bucs and one against the Saints (both teams have decent defenses).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I would not at all be surprised if he wasn’t fired after this year honestly.

Agreed. He's outdated at this point, and he's ruining Bryce Young. I think he needs to retire. He may do that/get fired after the year. The Panthers might also promote Evero to the HC position so they don't lose him. Kill two birds with one stone.

The new OC wasn't doing much either. He was just dusting off Reich's playbook and trying different variations of those plays. It is hard to imagine having a lot of new stuff mid-season. It is likely Reich talked to the GM and/or owner about it and said "at least give me a chance to fix this". Logically, that makes sense. That is probably how it played out.

The end results might be the same but at least Reich wanted to go down swinging with what he thought was his best chance to turn things around on his own terms, even if only slightly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

The new OC wasn't doing much either. He was just dusting off Reich's playbook and trying different variations of those plays. It is hard to imagine having a lot of new stuff mid-season. It is likely Reich talked to the GM and/or owner about it and said "at least give me a chance to fix this". Logically, that makes sense. That is probably how it played out.

The end results might be the same but at least Reich wanted to go down swinging with what he thought was his best chance to turn things around on his own terms, even if only slightly. 

Ditto

It's not like they were putting up points or being innovative.. if anything they looked worse. Coming from an Adam Thielen fantasy owner.. he was getting spammed the ball. Last 3 games have been hotdog water...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He looks even more miserable compared to last year… 

I suspect Frank really appreciates the support he always had from Ballard.   And I’d bet he realizes there’s a good chance he’s going to be fired after one season.   So if he’s going to get fired, he might as well go down believing in himself and trying his best to hold on to his job.   

But the idea that anyone would describe Frank Reich as arrogant is completely nonsensical.    It’s the opposite of reality.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suspect Frank really appreciates the support he always had from Ballard.   And I’d bet he realizes there’s a good chance he’s going to be fired after one season.   So if he’s going to get fired, he might as well go down believing in himself and trying his best to hold on to his job.   

But the idea that anyone would describe Frank Reich as arrogant is completely nonsensical.    It’s the opposite of reality.   

For the record, I personally consider him to be one of the more humble coaches. He’s a Godly man after all. He knows not to take himself too seriously in the grand scheme of things.

And yeah, it was evident Chris and Frank became good friends over the years. It’s not like Ballard looked happy when everything went down last year… 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Frank’s record with the Colts was 40-33-1. 

He was a good HC for the Colts.    

What’s happening in Carolina appears to be mostly out of his control.  

Meh..I don’t think he was a good HC. I think he was a little less than good IMO. As a person….probably great, but strictly in the head coaching world W’s are the most important factor. Some can get it done and some can’t…not always a 100% on the HC for sure…but Reich was oft unprepared and extremely predictable as a play caller and as a HC you’ve got to get the most out of what you’ve been given…he certainly was given some tough circumstances no doubt about that but I felt he just wasn’t able to bring a team together that mattered on the field.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Frank’s record with the Colts was 40-33-1. 

He was a good HC for the Colts.    

What’s happening in Carolina appears to be mostly out of his control.  

He lost nearly 50% of his games and fell on his face after bringing Wentz in promising he would bring Wentz back to a winner.

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Imagine all you have to do is ask "Who's the target?" and an entire offense falls appart...

It's rough. And for transparency, JT is a huge Bryce Young fan, so there's definitely a bias, and it's obvious in his tone. But it's hard to argue with what he's showing in these cut-ups. Especially for Colts fans, when we watched a lot of this up close for 2-3 years. 

I don't know what happened with Reich. Either Luck (and possibly Rivers) was really changing stuff on the field, or Reich just threw half of his passing concepts in the trash in 2019. And where's the rest of the offensive staff? Thomas Brown was with the Rams for three years, doesn't he have something from this decade that he can add to the playbook? Josh McCown doesn't have anything?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's rough. And for transparency, JT is a huge Bryce Young fan, so there's definitely a bias, and it's obvious in his tone. But it's hard to argue with what he's showing in these cut-ups. Especially for Colts fans, when we watched a lot of this up close for 2-3 years. 

I don't know what happened with Reich. Either Luck (and possibly Rivers) was really changing stuff on the field, or Reich just threw half of his passing concepts in the trash in 2019. And where's the rest of the offensive staff? Thomas Brown was with the Rams for three years, doesn't he have something from this decade that he can add to the playbook? Josh McCown doesn't have anything?

Didn’t know he was a Young fan, worth keeping in mind when watching future videos.

Still, I think what JT shows speaks for itself. It’s just really bad playdesign. 

Seems Reich doesn’t allow input regarding playdesign maybe? If he wants to keep coaching in this league he needs to broaden his perspective. 

On 11/17/2023 at 12:18 PM, Superman said:

It’s almost like he doesn’t trust his QBs since Rivers left. He oversimplified his offense this year instead of playing to Young’s strengths. 

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s almost like he doesn’t trust his QBs since Rivers left. He oversimplified his offense this year instead of playing to Young’s strengths. 

He gave Wentz too much latitude. The beginning of the end for Wentz was when he threw the ball 22 (or whatever it was) consecutive times in a game that we were easily winning against Tampa.

When asked about it by reporters after the game, Reich acted as if he didn't even know about it.

Of course we ended losing that game and Wentz's ego was the reason. Along with Reich for allowing to happen.

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

He gave Wentz too much latitude. The beginning of the end for Wentz was when he threw the ball 22 (or whatever it was) consecutive times in a game that we were easily winning against Tampa.

When asked about it by reporters after the game, Reich acted as if he didn't even know about it.

Of course we ended losing that game and Wentz's ego was the reason. Along with Reich for allowing to happen.

Christ… my brain actually blocked out Wentz to the point I forgot he played with us… 

47 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Christ… my brain actually blocked out Wentz to the point I forgot he played with us… 

You didn't miss much. I would like to block out the last 2 years = 2021 and 2022. Taylor and Leonard were super in 2021, outside of that everything else has been forgettable. Last year, although Matt Ryan was bad, watching Sam Ellinger and Nick Foles play was just as bad as watching Painter. It was miserable. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't miss much. I would like to block out the last 2 years = 2021 and 2022. Taylor and Leonard were super in 2021, outside of that everything else has been forgettable. Last year, although Matt Ryan was bad, watching Sam Ellinger and Nick Foles play was just as bad as watching Painter. It was miserable. 

What the real misery is the memories won't go away.

Like I've said previously, its often hard to evaluate rookies when they go to a "bad situation/organization" and Bryce Young also has the misfortune of being a rookie with not only joining a mostly dysfunctional organization but also has frank Reich as his coach. That's a lot for a shorter and some what less gifted athletically QB compared to others at the position.  

If he's lucky, Reich will be replaced and a good supporting cast will be implemented around him in '24 and a proper coach will coach him up instead of being dumbed down. But we are talking Carolina here, so what are the chances a good competent coach is brought in???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was there for it all. I do remember it now. But honestly it’s fading away like a bad dream. The Christmas game was awesome. And the Patriots win was sweet. But that final dang game in Jacksonville… I imagine Irsay was already wanting to fire Reich at that point… 

• Like 1