Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remainder of the Season. Want vs Need

Indeee

Remainder of the Season. Want vs. Need  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Based on where the Colts currently are, what is your choice?

• A. Play Hard. Win Most/All Games left. Mid-tier record. Mid-tier/late draft choice. Playoff wildcard possibility/division title even though we might be early exit.
    • B. Play Hard. Win/lose some games. Mid-tier draft choice. Zero playoffs/wildcard early exit.
    • C. Play competitively. Lose most\all games. Top 10 or better draft choice.

Hello all.

I see a lot of frustration in the threads and a lot of disappointment with the losses.

I just thought it would be interesting to find out where the consensus lies with the fans at the Colts current state.

I voted for #3 btw as I have always thought this year was a mulligan year. Reason why they gave Steichen 6 years. 

***How come my poll doesn't look like others poll when they post polls? SERIOUSLY. What did I do wrong?

Let me know so I can edit/fix it to look correct

I’m torn. I always want to win every game, but it’s obvious this team needs upgrades in a few areas. Pass rush, a true receiving TE, corner, WR. 

Winning would of course be great for the team, the fans, primetime games and attraction for FA with how well we’ve played even without AR. Losing would secure a better draft spot. This is why I’m torn. 

What do I think will happen or what do you want me to want to happen? Well of course I would want them to win all their games and win the division but I don’t think that’s too realistic considering the Jags have a big leg up. So with that being said I would rather have a top 10 draft pick to give the best team around Richardson as possible for 2024. 

• Like 1

I just want them to play. If they win and we make the playoffs then great. Best season we've had in awhile. Now onto next season.

If they lose more often then not, yay we get a higher draft pick, and move onto next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KB said:

I just want them to play. If they win and we make the playoffs then great. Best season we've had in awhile. Now onto next season.

If they lose more often then not, yay we get a higher draft pick, and move onto next season. 

Thats kind of how I feel too.  I want to win every game.  But a loss means a higher pick, so it’s not too upsetting.  (Although the Browns game was upsetting because we should have won)

In a way it’s a no pressure season.  

• Like 4

I want to lose as many games as possible while the team looks as good as possible. If we could magically win the SB with Minshew taking us to the playoffs and Richardson returning and carrying us to a SB win, I'd do that. That's not realistic though. Even with Richardson healthy it was extremely unlikely, without him, the odds are probably <1%. 

So I hope we look good in every game but lose, to the point where it's obvious that we only need AR to put us over the top and the team is good. Get a top 10 pick, and let Ballard do his thing so we can compete with a healthy AR next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I want to lose as many games as possible while the team looks as good as possible. If we could magically win the SB with Minshew taking us to the playoffs and Richardson returning and carrying us to a SB win, I'd do that. That's not realistic though. Even with Richardson healthy it was extremely unlikely, without him, the odds are probably <1%. 

So I hope we look good in every game but lose, to the point where it's obvious that we only need AR to put us over the top and the team is good. Get a top 10 pick, and let Ballard do his thing so we can compete with a healthy AR next year.

After what happened last week, I am not going to guarantee anything but in reality, the Colts are playing well enough where they should win their next 3 games. We have the Saints here, at Carolina, and then the Pats. If we win all 3 games that would put us 6-4 going into the Bye. Very much alive for a playoff spot. I have a feeling this last game vs the Browns is going to screw us in the end, and we finish 9-8 but don't have any tiebreakers. 

• Like 3

I still don't think this is a playoff caliber team.  But it's no longer a strong feeling.

With the apparent weakness of schedule we may have a chance at the post. 

In three more weeks I will have a solid opinion on this topic.  If we lose the next three games we'd be effectively out of the race, and at that point I'd be for losing and getting high draft captal.  

If we sweep or go 2-1, then we are legit playoff contenders and I'd be all about it. 

• Like 1

What I want is for us to win the Super Bowl. 

What I think will really happen is that we win some and lose some, and end up right in the 12-17 draft pick spot. There's a lot of bad QB play around the league right now. I think it's less likely we end up in the top 10 for the draft. 

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

What I want is for us to win the Super Bowl. 

What I think will really happen is that we win some and lose some, and end up right in the 12-17 draft pick spot. There's a lot of bad QB play around the league right now. I think it's less likely we end up in the top 10 for the draft. 

That’s why I want Ballard to trade our 1st pick at the deadline and add a difference maker to the team now.  Just like he surprised us with the Buckner trade.  We could get one with our 1st pick.  Counting on finding one in this years draft is pretty much impossible.  We have our quarterback.  The easiest way to add a proven piece to the team is to you that pick and get one.  Either side of the ball.  Doesn’t matter.  Just get another difference maker with the pick.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s why I want Ballard to trade our 1st pick at the deadline and add a difference maker to the team now.  Just like he surprised us with the Buckner trade.  We could get one with our 1st pick.  Counting on finding one in this years draft is pretty much impossible.  We have our quarterback.  The easiest way to add a proven piece to the team is to you that pick and get one.  Either side of the ball.  Doesn’t matter.  Just get another difference maker with the pick.

I don't disagree. But I'm not sure if Ballard will do that this time around or not. 

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Drafts are a total crapshoot. Colts lead to reestablish a winning culture. The only way to do that is to.....umm....win.

I think the best way to establish a winning culture is to acquire the best possible players starting with QB, then EDGE, then LT, then WR, then DT, then CB.  

I don't think there is much else to it at the NFL level. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think the best way to establish a winning culture is to acquire the best possible players starting with QB, then EDGE, then LT, then WR, then DT, then CB.  

I don't think there is much else to it at the NFL level. 

I think we have all that covered except feared pass rusher and maybe WR1. I think the young CBs will be fine when healthy.

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think we have all that covered except feared pass rusher and maybe WR1. I think the young CBs will be fine when healthy.

I am not high at all on our coners.  Maybe on the QB.  Hopefully.  

Raimann is at the least good enough if not a budding star player.  And like you, I don't think we have the EDGE we need.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Drafts are a total crapshoot. Colts lead to reestablish a winning culture. The only way to do that is to.....umm....win.

The bolded is untrue. If it was true, then it wouldn't matter what GM we had and it would all even out in the long run as far as hits in the draft go and the only separation among teams would be at the positions that teams hit on. That's why some scouts are better than others, some teams have higher hit rates than others, and some teams have better philosophies than others. Ballard has a decently high hit rate, he just hits at the wrong positions. That's his problem. Generally the GMs and teams who have higher hit rates have the better overall teams. Though you could argue you need a franchise QB to win in this league.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The bolded is untrue. If it was true, then it wouldn't matter what GM we had and it would all even out in the long run as far as hits in the draft go and the only separation among teams would be at the positions that teams hit on. That's why some scouts are better than others, some teams have higher hit rates than others, and some teams have better philosophies than others. Ballard has a decently high hit rate, he just hits at the wrong positions. That's his problem. Generally the GMs and teams who have higher hit rates have the better overall teams. Though you could argue you need a franchise QB to win in this league.

Totally wrong. You're dealing with humans and nobody knows for sure how they will perform at the NFL level. Look up the success rate for first round picks. 

6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Totally wrong. You're dealing with humans and nobody knows for sure how they will perform at the NFL level. Look up the success rate for first round picks. 

If that's true, then why should we take Ballard's word over any other GM? In fact, if it's a total crapshoot, I could do just as good of a job as Ballard if I had the same info and scouts that he does. Everyone is just making an educated guess then right? So why is everyone saying that Ballard is smarter than armchair GMs? Apparently if the armchair GM had the same info as Ballard, he could do his job. It's a total crapshoot right?

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I still don't think this is a playoff caliber team.  But it's no longer a strong feeling.

With the apparent weakness of schedule we may have a chance at the post. 

In three more weeks I will have a solid opinion on this topic.  If we lose the next three games we'd be effectively out of the race, and at that point I'd be for losing and getting high draft captal.  

If we sweep or go 2-1, then we are legit playoff contenders and I'd be all about it. 

I am an optimist, but I am also going to keep it real. After losing this past week, we have backed ourselves into a corner. I felt we got cheated but it doesn't matter because we are 3-4 now, nothing is going to change that. In order to make the playoffs I think we need to win the next 3 games. All are winnable games is why and that would put is 6-4. 6-4 compared 5-5 is huge because our schedule gets harder after that.

12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Also, you're only counting the first round. The best GMs can hit in all 7 rounds (not all in the same draft). You know this though. You're just trying to simplify everything. I just don't know your angle here.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am an optimist, but I am also going to keep it real. After losing this past week, we have back ourselves into a corner. I felt we got cheated but it doesn't matter because we are 3-4 now, nothing is going to change that. In order to make the playoffs I think we need to win the next 3 games. All are winnable games is why and that would put is 6-4. 6-4 compared 5-5 is huge because our schedule gets harder after that.

I am not an optimist and I see no virtue in being an optimist personally.  In my line of work, so-called "optimism" has led to a bunch of real dumb stuff that effects people long term.

Truth is I would rather us be the worst record in the league then to sneak in the post.  I think holding the top draft pick would be in the long term interest of this ball club that I root for.  I think we need high end talent and maybe even a QB of the future.  Not out on AR but not totally in either. 

It doesn't matter to me when people object to this outlook either.

But what I think has been happening to us for about decade now is that we haven't been competive enough to be a true contender, but we've been too competitive to "earn" high draft picks, which has doomed us to the Hell of Mediocrity IMO.  I think high end talent in the most important positions is what we need.  That usually comes from the top of the draft.  We've been marginally competive for several years now and with our draft capital and money spend focused on players in middle of the field, we've been just good enough not to be bad enough to get high impact talent in wide positions and it's hurting us IMO.  

So I'd rather be terrible than OK for a year or two.  That said, my theory only goes so far.  If we aren't bad enough to be at the very top 3 or 4 of the draft, then I'd rather see us sneak into the post. 

So for me it's kind of like an unwanted preventive medical procedure.  No one wants it, but sometimes it enhances life. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I am not an optimist and I see no virtue in being an optimist personally.  In my line of work, so-called "optimism" has led to a bunch of real dumb stuff that effects people long term.

Truth is I would rather us be the worst record in the league then to sneak in the post.  I think holding the top draft pick would be in the long term interest of this ball club that I root for.  I think we need high end talent and maybe even a QB of the future.  Not out on AR but not totally in either. 

But what I think has been happening to us for about decade now is that we haven't been competive enough to be a true contender, but we've been too competitive to "earn" high draft picks, which has doomed us to the Hell of Mediocrity IMO.  I think high end talent in the most important positions is what we need.  That usually comes from the top of the draft.  We've been marginally competive for several years now and with our draft capital and money spend focused on players in middle of the field, we've been just good enough not to be bad enough to get high impact talent in wide positions and it's hurting us IMO.  

So I'd rather be terrible than OK for a year or two.  That said, my theory only goes so far.  If we aren't bad enough to be at the very top 3 or 4 of the draft, then I'd rather see us sneak into the post. 

So for me it's kind of like an unwanted preventive medical procedure.  No one wants it, but sometimes it enhances life. 

The browns have had high draft picks for years.   It hasn't translated into many wins.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well you got your wish.  We had a terrible record last year and earned a high pick and drafted a quarterback.   I don’t want another top ten pick.  I think this team could make the playoffs this year even with Minshew.  That’s what I’m hoping for,

33 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I would rather make the playoffs every year because winning is fun and it also shows we are a relevant team by doing so - not a team that other fanbases just laugh at, and still pick high, like around 20th. Then eventually you may win a SB. To me unless you are picking #1 in the draft and have a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck coming out, picking 10th or 20th isn't much different. The 20th player picked in the draft could easily be better than the 10th player being drafted. You should root for your favorite team to win not lose unless like I said, you have the #1 pick that can change your franchise. This is why some of your take's blow me away. I could not imagine watching a game with you and you rooting for another team to beat us because you want a higher draft pick. I don't have any friends that I watch with or have been to games with that have ever thought like that. 

I mean if all people are hoping for is a high draft pick every year what the purpose of even watching every week? That is basically hoping we lose every week. Then if we are start off 1-5 the next season, you are in the same position again of hoping for a high draft pick again. What fun is that? Might as well just watch the draft and hope we lose every week. 

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

The browns have had high draft picks for years.   It hasn't translated into many wins.  

The Browns keep swinging and missing at QB.  

It's not a guarantee of success.  But it helps.   

To me the two best things a club can do is draft a great QB and a great EDGE.   Sometimes great QBs are drafted later, but usually the top EDGE players are from the top. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

And another thing JVAN, the main two reasons that this club has been competive at all for this millinuem is that they happened to be the worst team in the league the years before Manning and Luck were drafted with the #1 picks.

If we would have drafted Leaf and RG3 for instance after earning a 2nd pick in those years, then I shudder to think of what this last two decades would have been like.  Probably like being a fan of the Lions. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather make the playoffs every year because winning is fun and it also shows we are a relevant team by doing so - not a team that other fanbases just laugh at, and still pick high, like around 20th. Then eventually you may win a SB. To me unless you are picking #1 in the draft and have a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck coming out, picking 10th or 20th isn't much different. The 20th player picked in the draft could easily be better than the 10th player being drafted. You should root for your favorite team to win not lose unless like I said, you have the #1 pick that can change your franchise. This is why some of your take's blow me away. I could not imagine watching a game with you and you rooting for another team to beat us because you want a higher draft pick. I don't have any friends that I watch with or have been to games with that have ever thought like that. 

I mean if all people are hoping for is a high draft pick every year what the purpose of even watching every week? That is basically hoping we lose every week. Then if we are start off 1-5 the next season, you are in the same position again of hoping for a high draft pick again. What fun is that? Might as well just watch the draft and hope we lose every week. 

Why do you think you are an authority on what people should do or shouldn't do?  I think you must have an overinflated sense of righteousness.  

It's in the interest of winning sometimes that it's good for the club to lose.  Short term loss for long term gain. 

It's not fun to lose.  But sometimes in the NFL it's necessary in order to reset the roster.  Not quite, but almost without exception, bad rosters, bad teams, bad orgs are only reset by a great QB and other top of the draft type of talent.  Sometimes this type of talent falls later. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And another thing JVAN, the main two reasons that this club has been competive at all for this millinuem is that they happened to be the worst team in the league the years before Manning and Luck were drafted with the #1 picks.

If we would have drafted Leaf and RG3 for instance after earning a 2nd pick in those years, then I shudder to think of what this last two decades would have been like.  Probably like being a fan of the Lions. 

The years between Pagel and Manning were very lean.   We had the top 2 picks in 92.   Still barren for years.   No matter how bad we are this year,  they aren't taking a QB in the first round next year.   I would rather see wins than losses this season

59 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's because they didn't hit on a franchise QB. Literally no other reason. 

For 40 years?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The years between Pagel and Manning were very lean.   We had the top 2 picks in 92.   Still barren for years.   No matter how bad we are this year,  they aren't taking a QB in the first round next year.   I would rather see wins than losses this season

For 40 years?

No one claims high draft picks guarantee anything Jvan.  Who are you debating that with?  

You don't think that having a high pick increases your chances of drafting a great QB, EDGE, etc?

52 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The Browns keep swinging and missing at QB.  

It's not a guarantee of success.  But it helps.   

To me the two best things a club can do is draft a great QB and a great EDGE.   Sometimes great QBs are drafted later, but usually the top EDGE players are from the top. 

QB, Edge, LT - you hit on stars at those positions and everything else can be filled in yearly.  

We MAY have hit on two (we’re hoping).  Edge is still a big need.