Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Man this is horribly depressing. Seems more and more unlikely by the day that JT will be a Colt in the long-term future, and that to me is pretty sad, regardless of money. It just feels like this team has been cursed since Luck retired. I hope things can somehow get turned around.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When we had Peyton from 2003-2009, we automatically won 12 games a year = 7 straight years. Even got a SB win in 2006. It was all business with #18 back there. 

homer GIF- the look on Marge's face is priceless. Homer is something else faking that stuff haha 

I was telling my 17 year old yesterday,(think old man voice), yeah back when we had Peyton we knew we’d win 12, 13, 14 games.  We knew we’d beat everyone in the playoffs until we saw Pitt or NE .

• Like 2

Okay, so what are our choices really? 

1.) Force him to play out his rookie contract? 

2.) Try to put him on the NFI list?  Just to try to not pay him this year? (Which he is denying a supposed back injury ever happened while he was working out in Arizona over the summer)

3.) Pay him big RB $ on a new contract?

4.) Keep him on the pup list and pay him regardless?

First of all, JT really man?  How did you think this was going to play out?  Especially how your time in the NFL had gone thus far.  It would be one thing had you not been injured and were able to ball out the whole time.  So your solution is to burn the bridge with the one team that actually drafted you?  All of them had a shot before the Colts if you remember.  In a market that you are actively complaining about not valuing your position highly enough?  I say good luck and good riddance.  Which honestly breaks my Colt loving heart.  I purchased my son a #28 jersey last year when my wife and I took him to a game near Christmas.  So I don't say any of this lightly.  JT is a generational talent in my opinion.  But when a player publicly requests a trade it's over.  Football is in the entertainment industry.  Which is why the NFL pays so well.  So I get it when a player attempts to seperate the game with business.  It is how they are treated.  It just doesn't and cannot work like that.  Football is also a team sport.  For that to work the team members have to buy in and be able to trust each other.  So JT cannot play for the Colts again.  Good luck to you sir!  I thought you were way smarter than this.  Unfortunately, the only thing you could've done was show your value in your last year of your contract and hope to get paid by whomever that would be.  I agree, that the RB market sucks right now.  But it's been that way for a while now.  Why act the right way before now?  Just the most disappointed I've been in a long long time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I was telling my 17 year old yesterday,(think old man voice), yeah back when we had Peyton we knew we’d win 12, 13, 14 games.  We knew we’d beat everyone in the playoffs until we saw Pitt or NE .

We may never know that feeling again

• Like 1

Taylor in April was asked about his contract and said he signed the paper and would honor it and that the next contract would work itself out when it was time .  He wasn’t worried.    (This is discussed on the podcast by mike Lombardi)

what happened between April and now?  I assume the new agent came in after he said those things  

I think it is just posturing.  I think he plays out this year for the colts.  

36 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Taylor in April was asked about his contract and said he signed the paper and would honor it and that the next contract would work itself out when it was time .  He wasn’t worried.    (This is discussed on the podcast by mike Lombardi)

what happened between April and now?  I assume the new agent came in after he said those things  

He could “be injured” too.  Be interesting how the ole back hurts doesn’t hurt thing goes.

Unless Irsay caves he’s gonna have to play here or starve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think the agent switch is one thing but the bigger thing was the RB conference call that was had.

Back in April, guys like Saquon, Jacobs and Pollard were all franchise tagged. There was still some hope that they would get their big long-term contracts before the July 17th deadline.

When that deadline came and went and none of them got a deal and they saw the landscape of the RB market, things changed and they had that conference call.

It was basically shortly after that time that most likely the trade request came in and all this drama escalated.

I said it in another post and others touched on it here, but JT is carrying the flag for all RBs it seems in trying to re-set the market and trying to fix a downward RB trend that the league has had coming for awhile. 

And he is getting steamrolled as he tries to do this. 

Just totally unfortunate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My earlier point about cutting JT was not meant as an option at this moment, or before trade options are explored.  Obviously Ballard should not make such a dramatic move this early.

I was in a Kreskin moment, and if JT digs in his heels the Colts may not have any other option than to cut him and open up a roster spot for a RB that may actually have more versatility for SS.  At some point during the season or even before, if JT seems exceptionally recalcitrant.

Would JT dig in his heals and potentially forego $4.3M?  Maybe, if he thinks he can get a contract next spring for a team that will guarantee, say, $12M of his next contract, then digging his heels in (and saving his body the punishment this season) might be a good investment.  He could get hurt being the protective punching bag for the new superhero.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My earlier point about cutting JT was not meant as an option at this moment, or before trade options are explored.  Obviously Ballard should not make such a dramatic move this early.

I was in a Kreskin moment, and if JT digs in his heels the Colts may not have any other option than to cut him and open up a roster spot for a RB that may actually have more versatility for SS.  At some point during the season or even before, if JT seems exceptionally recalcitrant.

Would JT dig in his heals and potentially forego $4.3M?  Maybe, if he thinks he can get a contract next spring for a team that will guarantee, say, $12M of his next contract, then digging his heels in (and saving his body the punishment this season) might be a good investment.  He could get hurt being the protective punching bag for the new superhero.

I think he's still considered damaged goods until he proves he's fully recovered from last year's injury.  I can't see him getting the money he wants regardless, but even less so without playing first.  Sitting out this year would not work out well for him in my opinion.  I don't see him making that money back.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's the offense that's going to be run.  Do you think it's coincidence the Colts drafted an athlete at QB?   He will have designed runs....  lots of them

When did I ever say there were not going to be designed runs for AR?  I know he's not Phillip Rivers.

What I have said earlier is that I doubt that Irsay wants his pick 4 investment to be run like Earl Campbell in some sort of 1-2 power running based offense with JT, even if that's what SS did with second round throw away capital they invested in Hurts and Sanders.  And I don't think SS even did that with Hurts as much as folks think he did.  

10 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think he's still considered damaged goods until he proves he's fully recovered from last year's injury.  I can't see him getting the money he wants regardless, but even less so without playing first.  Sitting out this year would not work out well for him in my opinion.  I don't see him making that money back.

Yes, overall, I think Irsay is doing JT a favor by honoring the contract.  That's what Irsay does, and its in JTs favor, IMO.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I think the agent switch is one thing but the bigger thing was the RB conference call that was had.

Back in April, guys like Saquon, Jacobs and Pollard were all franchise tagged. There was still some hope that they would get their big long-term contracts before the July 17th deadline.

When that deadline came and went and none of them got a deal and they saw the landscape of the RB market, things changed and they had that conference call.

It was basically shortly after that time that most likely the trade request came in and all this drama escalated.

I said it in another post and others touched on it here, but JT is carrying the flag for all RBs it seems in trying to re-set the market and trying to fix a downward RB trend that the league has had coming for awhile. 

And he is getting steamrolled as he tries to do this. 

Just totally unfortunate. 

I haven't read all the posts on here so i really appreciate this.  That makes more sense with his earlier stance and today.

Truly unfortunate!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's another strange thing.  Usually guys that hold out for more money come off of a season where their production was high, and that production was instrumental in the team's success.  More money justifies what they helped the team accomplish.  Its obvious they are underpaid.

But there is none of that with JT last year.

So its not even a matter of the injury.  Its also the fact that he did virtually nothing more than his backups did, and the team went 4 and 12.

It seems to me that he feels the need to get as money money ASAP, regardless of this past season, he sees himself as replaceable and doesn't want the rest of the NFL to figure it out.  

Yep.   He is taking a side that the fans cannot respect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I know I am just trying to square that with the reports that the Colts are planning on putting him on NFI for back issues. 

i mean if he's saying he has no back pain, then the reports are wrong. 

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Lot of people took that time period for granted.  I remember all the complaints on this board during those years.  People were upset that we weren't winning more Super Bowls.  There was seriously a mindset with some people of, "Who cares if we win 12 games every year? Doesn't matter if we aren't winning more Super Bowls". Those people had no idea what it was like to live through the 90s.  Now they know.  

• Like 2

I’m disappointed in everyone involved here. I have beat the Taylor drum since that first start against the Vikings. I saw it that day. He’s always seemed like a stand-up team first guy. Apparently I was misled. This new agent he’s fallen in with is a turd in the punchbowl, and they’re not even willing to acknowledge the reality of the situation. 

I’m disappointed in Irsay and Ballard for not being able to talk this situation in off the ledge behind closed doors and especially Irsay for not doing more than he has to keep it from devolving further. 

This whole thing would have been handled much better if there was a single competent * adult in the room. 

But here we are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I’m disappointed in everyone involved here. I have beat the Taylor drum since that first start against the Vikings. I saw it that day. He’s always seemed like a stand-up team first guy. Apparently I was misled. This new agent he’s fallen in with is a turd in the punchbowl, and they’re not even willing to acknowledge the reality of the situation. 

I’m disappointed in Irsay and Ballard for not being able to talk this situation in off the ledge behind closed doors and especially Irsay for not doing more than he has to keep it from devolving further. 

This whole thing would have been handled much better if there was a single competent * adult in the room. 

But here we are. 

I agree, both sides are acting childish and this is really unnecessary, a distraction we didn't need. wrestlemania v wrestling GIF by WWE

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, both sides are acting childish and this is really unnecessary, a distraction we didn't need. wrestlemania v wrestling GIF by WWE

Indeed it is. And I don’t particularly care for it playing out as AR is spending his first summer in the building. As much normalcy as we could afford him would have been ideal.

Not to mention us fans could have certainly used a little quiet normalcy as well after the %show that was last season. 

I actually had tickets to practice today and yesterday and didn’t even go because this whole thing has me so perturbed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Indeed it is. And I don’t particularly care for it playing out as AR is spending his first summer in the building. As much normalcy as we could afford him would have been ideal.

Not to mention us fans could have certainly used a little quiet normalcy as well after the %show that was last season. 

I actually had tickets to practice today and yesterday and didn’t even go because this whole thing has me so perturbed. 

I don't blame you at all. This whole thing is strange. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't blame you at all. This whole thing is strange. 

Indeed it is. I mean he's still at camp, he's talking with the coaches and the players... Heck maybe he actually is truly still injured and waited to be cleared. 

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Taylor fired his agent after that and hired Kawa, presumably specifically to do this.

Per Holder, JT's aw-shucks good guy persona is all just a PR campaign.

I'm so bummed. I loved this dude and thought he was a legit role model for kids (turned down Harvard, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

Taylor fired his agent after that and hired Kawa, presumably specifically to do this.

Per Holder, JT's aw-shucks good guy persona is all just a PR campaign.

I'm so bummed. I loved this dude and thought he was a legit role model for kids (turned down Harvard, etc).

I feel the same way, not because he turned down the ivy league, but he seemed like the real deal.

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

Seemed like the Chargers had our number as well, outside of that we were damn near unstoppable.

JT has had one elite season. The other two have been teasers for multiple reasons that are not all on him.

He has HoF potential....that's just it though, potential. So, the ol fella has to curate his brand and this is JT doing JT, this isnt some empty head, this is a smart, thoughtful fella, he cut agents to get this money.

He's made his point and I think the larger story is what he and other backs want to force the NFL to acknowledge or act on, the problem is they've got zero leverage. None. This battle was lost when that dazzling Steeler back, LeVeon Bell couldn't get paid. In retrospect, Bell should have taken that money and reshaped the way RB contracts were thought of and crafted in future, instead it got acrimonious and he ultimately lost out which is what Jim Irsay tried ineloquently to point out in that 'airhead moment' tweet, everyone loses in the NFL, the machine goes on.

If Bell who at his prime was everything JT is PLUS an ELITE receiving back, couldn't win, JT certainly hasn't got a prayer. It's a business, JT has a losing hand sadly.

Philosophically, that culture guru the Colts had back in the day, the special units guy whose name escapes me, well he didn't seem to have nailed this. The good boys - JT, Moore, Pitt, Shaq, etc are all smart guys and really good team players, the thing his methodology didnt seem to account for is that smart guys also understand this business and will get theirs as best as they can. Fans need to know this :) 

• Like 2