Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

29 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Doesn’t the NFL have actual rules in place to ensure those placed on the PUP list are legitimately, medically PUP?  Like, so that it’s not just a scam way to retain players. 

The player has to pass a physical. It's a subjective process.

In this case, who's supposed to be complaining to the NFL that the PUP designation is being misused? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

If he remains on PUP won't he have to have a Doctors evaluation that he is truly injured. I doubt the Colts are obligated to pay him if he refuses to play and he has a clean bill of health from the medical people. Can someone explain that?

If he gets a clean bill of health the Colts will activate him (after four weeks at earliest) and then he’s subject to fines or suspension if he doesn’t play.

This whole thing is just weird. All Taylor had/has to do is prove he is healthy this year on his current contract and he would have been greatly rewarded. Instead, his meathead agent gave him terrible advice and effed it all up for him, likely brainwashing JT along the way. 

:rantoff:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

So, if JT doesn't play in any of the 1st 6 games, he doesn't get the year credited.

Are you sure that means what you say. It says "perform football activities"after the first 4 weeks. Then states that he doesn't play the season. Very ambiguous and I'm not sure what it exactly says

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

This whole thing is just weird. All Taylor had/has to do is prove he is healthy this year on his current contract and he would have been greatly rewarded. Instead, his meathead agent gave him terrible advice and effed it all up for him, likely brainwashing JT along the way. 

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I still wonder if this plays out the same way if that RB call never happens, although the switch in agent seems to have been the main catalyst. JT is a really intelligent guy and sometimes even the smartest people can get manipulated by hearing someone tell them what they want to hear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Are you sure that means what you say. It says "perform football activities"after the first 4 weeks. Then states that he doesn't play the season. Very ambiguous and I'm not sure what it exactly says

There’s a better article I read, trying to find it. Basically if he’s on PuP/Reserve at the conclusion of week 6 of the regular season while in the final year of his contract, the contract then will forward to the next season but it does count towards years of service for the pension program. It’s confusing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There’s a better article I read, trying to find it. Basically if he’s on PuP/Reserve at the conclusion of week 6 of the regular season while in the final year of his contract, the contract then will forward to the next season but it does count towards years of service for the pension program. It’s confusing 

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Thank you

“A player’s contract will not be suspended and resumed the following season while on the PUP list unless he is in the last year of his contract, unable to perform football activities as of the sixth regular-season game and inactive during the regular season and postseason, according to NFL.com.”

basically, since Taylor is in the last year of his contract, if he’s not back on the field by week 6, colts get another year of him at 4.x million plus still have the tags after that. 

translation: Taylor f-ed himself 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going yo cost him money 

Then he can enjoy not becoming a free agent at season’s end losing any value he has to the rest of the league and be right back in this spot next year.

Go ask Bell how well that move worked.

• Like 6

Just now, w87r said:

No, if he doesn't play 6 games this season.

He can miss 11.

Or according to nfl.com

“A player’s contract will not be suspended and resumed the following season while on the PUP list unless he is in the last year of his contract, unable to perform football activities as of the sixth regular-season game and inactive during the regular season and postseason, according to NFL.com.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Or according to nfl.com

Got myself backwards thinking about Franchise Tag scenario.

• Like 1

A trade could materialize at almost anytime even if he is on the PUP. The execution of that trade would have to occur at a specific time though. But who knows…it’ll be just a waiting game and I’m glad the colts have taken the route they have. Players demand too much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crunked said:

He will be available enough to fulfill the requirements and walk free at seasons end.........Colts will get na-da in return.

If he's on PUP at the end of week 6, his contract gets tolled, meaning he starts the next season with the same number of years left on his rookie contract.

The best thing JT can do at this point is suck up his pride, report when healthy, and ball out to earn a new contract. The way he's headed could spell the end of his career, or at least ruin any chance he has at landing a sizeable contract.

• Like 4

This goes deeper than Taylor listening to his agent. His true colors are coming out this season. To blame the agent is to shift accountability off of the player. He didn’t get brainwashed in a single off season. He couldn’t do this until the final year of his contract. 

the Colts will draft his replacement this off-season in the 2024 draft. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not if he stays on PUP he won’t.

So if he is legit injured by Colt team Dr's standards...(would only be logical that there is an evaluation process associated with PUP not just the players word) then I suppose but what advantage is that to Taylor? to the outside world he is disgruntled and "seriously" injured to be on the PUP all year, the Colts can slap a franchise tag on him at seasons end and he is no better off, in fact to the rest of the league he might be in worse shape value wise cause who is gonna match a tag of a player that was hurt all year.

58 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I get the whole we taught Jonathan Taylor a lesson ideaology....but how does that help the Colts right now?

We have a roster of Player’s that are ready to play the game of football. They play for a great owner and a great fan base. The Colt’s organization and fans can’t wait to Play the game against Jacksonville! By the way, an owner who has proven he takes care of those that perform. 
I loved JT, but that’s no longer the case. He’s played a bad hand, as in all of our lives, we make choices! He made a wrong one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

If he's on PUP at the end of week 6, his contract gets tolled, meaning he starts the next season with the same number of years left on his rookie contract.

The best thing JT can do at this point is suck up his pride, report when healthy, and ball out to earn a new contract. The way he's headed could spell the end of his career, or at least ruin any chance he has at landing a sizeable contract.

kind of what i was saying he will be "injured" just enough to make a point.....but not so much that he doesnt accrue..

Just now, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

This goes deeper than Taylor listening to his agent. His true colors are coming out this season. To blame the agent is to shift accountability on the player.

I don't think that's exactly true. With the abrupt 180 immediately after changing agents, I can't help but believe he's the one mostly responsible for this. Since he was already Leonard's agent, there's an easier buy-in for JT having seen this agent get his buddy the contract he did. Not to mention that there's a lot of power in creating an "us vs them" scenario. Again, JT is a smart guy, but smart people aren't immune from being manipulated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kirk didn’t even have 1k yards ever and got 20 million.

Great response

I do believe that Pittman is a very solid WR2.....  Kirk is a solid WR1

Kirk is a game breaker, with game changing speed, Pittman has had some great games (SF game) but

Im thinking we need that guy that defensive coordinators fear........   I dont see that on this team at WR

I think we needs at least one of those types (very hard to come by(

• Like 1

Just now, Shive said:

I don't think that's exactly true. With the abrupt 180 immediately after changing agents, I can't help but believe he's the one mostly responsible for this. Since he was already Leonard's agent, there's an easier buy-in for JT having seen this agent get his buddy the contract he did. Not to mention that there's a lot of power in creating an "us vs them" scenario. Again, JT is a smart guy, but smart people aren't immune from being manipulated.

Or he was just good at faking it in front of the media.