Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Pretty sure the bolded has been handled.

Told not getting traded

Not getting extension

I suspect they let it play out a little longer. If he continues to stand over there looking sad, being a big distraction, send him home.

I think this will come to a head sooner than later. He knows he isn't getting a deal or traded.

Gonna have to make a decision

I'm sure everyone else on PUP is at camp.

You don't think they have talked to him?

He been told we want him here and that we always take care of our own. 

IMO most probably what happened is

1. Ballard told Taylor and his agent about their decision to not offer an extension at this point because they want to see him healthy and they want to see how he fits in with the new HC and in the new offense with AR. Probably told him an extension during the season is not out of the question ( pretty much what he told the media)

2. Agent and Taylor then told Ballard if he's not getting paid he wants out. He fakes not being physically ready and is put on PUP so he won't practice.

3. Irsay tweets about RBs. Agent trying to catch the owner's attention on Twitter with hopes Irsay puts his thumb on the scale and influences Ballard to give Taylor a new contract. 

4. Taylor and Irsay meet in the trailer at training camp and Irsay probably told Taylor that he's behind Ballard in his decision to hold off on extension talks.

5. Taylor has no more levers to pull with the Colts, so they leak to Schefter and Rapoport that he's requested a trade.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The more Taylor gets, the less that is available for other players to get.  I don't think it is as simple as all players are siding with Taylor.

Teams that overpay players based on positional value tend to be the teams with losing records.   You can't just pay your players whatever they want just to prevent a mutiny.

Taylor is the best offensive player on the team —by far — by most any objective measure.   The players know this.   Players are not wired to think the more Taylor gets the less they get.   And players don’t subscribe to the over-paying the wrong position concept.  Players aren’t angry that guys like Nelson and Leonard and Smith and Kelly are among the highest paid at their positions.   They are happy for their teammates.   

The Colts are an analytics driven franchise, they know what they can and can’t afford.   And remember, Ballard does not make these decisions about salaries in a vacuum.   Irsay signs off on them. 

As to over paying to prevent a mutiny…. I don’t know where that came from, but I’ve posted repeatedly this off-season that I’m fine if the Colts have to Tag JT in 24 and 25, before moving on.   So I’m not worried about a mutiny.  

Things have blown up in the last few days.   I’m hoping both sides can find a way to some kind of compromise to lower the heat surrounding the dispute.  

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think zack understands here that all Taylor has to do is complain his back hurts and tell a story. There is really no proof needed other then that is my guess.

The Colts are not trying to not pay Taylor this year. They are trying to protect themselves against frivolous (*cough* fake *cough*) claims of injuries by Taylor so he would sit instead of play. The Colts wish now and even from before this dispute has been that Taylor shows up healthy and plays. If he does, the Colts would be happy with it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You haven’t been reading all of my posts if you think I believe the players don’t know what’s going on.   The opposite is true.   

This viewpoint extends back earlier today when a poster here speculated that the players would be angry with Taylor.  I told the poster that among players, there’s a code.   You don’t begrudge a teammate for doing what they have to do to get their money.   So while they may not say much publicly, privately 99 percent of players likely support Taylor.    And if the Colts are willing to play hardball with Taylor, one of the best and most the players on the team, then they realize the Colts might someday play hardball with them.   The players are very dialed into this.  

Im sure I’ve written plenty for you to disagree with.   So why don’t we save us both the time of meaningless exchanges and agree that we agree on almost nothing.   Fair enough?  

I don’t think this is meaningless. You would have to admit that you challenge and even correct posters all the time; you seem to really enjoy this role, in fact. I don’t think you like when the situation is reversed: You saying “no one is safe” (add horror movie soundtrack here) was so over the top it needed to be checked. And, due respect, I doubt you know what codes exist inside an nfl locker room, unless you had a playing career I’m unaware of. Finally, you constantly say you only use facts. Do tell where you got that 99 percent of the team supports JT. That number seems absurd but you must have a link to prove it’s factual yes? 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Taylor is the best offensive player on the team —by far — by most any objective measure.   The players know this.   Players are not wired to think the more Taylor gets the less they get.   And players don’t subscribe to the over-paying the wrong position concept.  Players aren’t angry that guys like Nelson and Leonard and Smith and Kelly are among the highest paid at their positions.   They are happy for their teammates.   

The Colts are an analytics driven franchise, they know what they can and can’t afford.   And remember, Ballard does not make these decisions about salaries in a vacuum.   Irsay signs off on them. 

As to over paying to prevent a mutiny…. I don’t know where that came from, but I’ve posted repeatedly this off-season that I’m fine if the Colts have to Tag JT in 24 and 25, before moving on.   So I’m not worried about a mutiny.  

Things have blown up in the last few days.   I’m hoping both sides can find a way to some kind of compromise to lower the heat surrounding the dispute.  

You don’t have any idea what the players really think. What they say publicly may not match their true feelings. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I don’t think this is meaningless. You would have to admit that you challenge and even correct posters all the time; you seem to really enjoy this role, in fact. I don’t think you like when the situation is reversed: You saying “no one is safe” (add horror movie soundtrack here) was so over the top it needed to be checked. And, due respect, I doubt you know what codes exist inside an nfl locker room, unless you had a playing career I’m unaware of. Finally, you constantly say you only use facts. Do tell where you got that 99 percent of the team supports JT. That number seems absurd but you must have a link to prove it’s factual yes? 

When I write about a code inside a locker room, that’s because I’ve read about it for many years, even decades.   If you don’t believe it, that’s your choice. 

You don’t know what I read or the information I gather.    

The 99 percent number is a guesstimate implying the vast majority.   Could it be 98 percent or 97 percent?   Sure.  But does it really matter?   

One of us covered the NFL for 30 years and I’m confident it wasn’t you.   You can try to engage with me all you want.  But you’ve made it clear it’s a waste of my time.   I’d be happy to engage with you if you were even the slightest bit sincere, but you’re not.   Nothing I say to you is ever going to change your mind about anything I say.    Your choice.   

Trying to ignore you is my choice. 

Enjoy the website.     :hat:

Taylor failed his physical, the source said, because of a combination of a previous ankle injury for which surgery was performed earlier this year and the back injury. The team's medical staff had not previously discussed a back issue with Taylor, and the Colts were unaware of the problem until Taylor reported on Tuesday, the source said.

There's some belief that the back issue stems from an old injury, but Taylor continues to complain of discomfort, according to the source.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38103573/colts-rb-jonathan-taylor-reported-back-pain-pre-camp-physical-source-says

This is really really specific and has details that wouldn't be known to just any insider. This must be coming directly from the team... I have no idea why they would be lying about this. If they are lying this has crossed a line IMO. I'm good with playing hardball with a player in contract dispute, but lying in order to make Taylor look bad would be horrible. And I still don't get what the Colts would gain from this report... it's not like it's giving them any leverage... If they actually want to put him on NFI, they have to actually have proof that he's injured and that it happened away from the team. I guess it can be a warning shot towards Taylor to not try doing anything stupid like trying to fake an injury... but you can do that without straight up fabricating a whole elaborate story about him reporting back pain. 

Taylor now refuting all those reports is weird too. Did he really report back pain and is now lying? He won't be the first player to report back pain when in contract dispute in order to avoid practicing with the team(remember Jalen Ramsey?). But did he really think the team won't call that bluff? 

Someone IS LYING... who? is the question? 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im sorry, but YOU need to re-read your own post.   There’s nothing to indicate what you THINK the Colts will do vs what you WANT the Colts will do.   Nothing.   If that’s what you want then the post was badly written.   But either way, “A” is the precise wrong answer.  

If you’re now saying this is what you THINK the Colts will do, I’d say there’s roughly a near zero percent chance of that happening.   I don’t know why anyone would think that?

Not trying to give you a hard time.   I’m trying to explain the confusion your post created.   

I have re read it; no where in my OP did I say what I wanted them to do.......sorry it was confusing...it was originally a thread to see where people were at in this forum on what they "thought" the Colts would do.....guess I needed to spell that out...I was intending to avoid the what do "YOU" the reader of post want them to do, but you thought the "COLTS" would do.....thought it was clear but obviously I missed the mark....

• Thanks 1

Bro trying to get paid before he blows a tire like Mack did. You got a contract though my guy. Remember you said you wanted to be a "Colt For Life"? Now all of a sudden after a couple days you want to be traded. What happened to the loyalty? If you want to truly be a "Colt For Life" then I'm thinking you would spend more time trying to come to a happy medium instead of forcing a trade.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stitches said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38103573/colts-rb-jonathan-taylor-reported-back-pain-pre-camp-physical-source-says

This is really really specific and has details that wouldn't be known to just any insider. This must be coming directly from the team... I have no idea why they would be lying about this. If they are lying this has crossed a line IMO. I'm good with playing hardball with a player in contract dispute, but lying in order to make Taylor look bad would be horrible. And I still don't get what the Colts would gain from this report... it's not like it's giving them any leverage... If they actually want to put him on NFI, they have to actually have proof that he's injured and that it happened away from the team. I guess it can be a warning shot towards Taylor to not try doing anything stupid like trying to fake an injury... but you can do that without straight up fabricating a whole elaborate story about him reporting back pain. 

Taylor now refuting all those reports is weird too. Did he really report back pain and is now lying? He won't be the first player to report back pain when in contract dispute in order to avoid practicing with the team(remember Jalen Ramsey?). But did he really think the team won't call that bluff? 

Uh..... The "source?, ESPN?"

3 hours ago, stitches said:

The one who stands to gain the most. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Uh..... The "source?, ESPN?"

Well here’s what we do know, any medical is going to be documented. 

I was thinking about this though, JT had make comments about faking injuries to possibly sit out and still get paid. This could have been part of this until this report came to out and given how his agent and himself have handled things so far, I think they didn’t realize that the NFI gives the team full control and a way to not pay him. 

really: it comes down to 3:

the Source: did they make it up? If so, for what reason other than clicks? 20 percent chance the source or reporter made it up. It’s happened before.

the Colts: they stand little to gain from lying about this or even leaking it.  If they are telling the truth about the back injury, it does paint JT in a bad light and can give them even more leverage than they already had, which was a ton. If they’re lying though, it paints the Colts in a very very bad light and opens them up to not only a league investigation but potential litigation as well. Something I just don’t see the Colts risking to save 4 million in cash out of over 200 million in cap money.  Doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m gonna say 1 percent or less chance the Colts made this up. 

JT/Agent: I’m combining this two together for obvious reasons. But let’s say JT’s tweet is accurate and he didn’t report back pain. So who does that leave, his agent, who is by extension a representative for JT. His agent makes up the back pain and NFI story , leaks it to a reporter and has JT make a tweet about not having said injury to try and paint the colts in a bad light and provoke a response from the league and media. This would then give JT ground to try and extort a new contract. This to me, has about 30 percent of being what happened.

the other side of this is the Colts are intact telling the truth, JT reported to medical ankle and back pain. It’s documented by the doctors including the when where how etc. JT isn’t actually hurt and this is one of the faking injuries scenarios JT himself suggested RBs do to sit and get paid. Probably on the advice of his agent. But they overlooked the NFI clauses and are going “oh crap”.
And seeing how badly they have bungled everything else, I’m gonna give this a 49 percent chance of what has happened.

just my thoughts based on the very limited information coming out. Which so far, has mostly been from JTs camp. Colts have been fairly tight lipped on this outside of Irsay. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some of the players will be intelligent enough to study the Philadelphia Experiment. They just let there 1200 yd RB leave. They had the #3 offense and ran for a huge 2500. Sirianni and Howie have a take on the RB position that is becoming the New norm. 

Spending above a certain level, certainly on 2nd contracts, analytically is foolish.

Jonathan will not be so valuable/needed in Steichen's offense. It could lengthen his career and our future is bright. He needs a reset of reality.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Btw, I was trying to find the exact Saquon quote, but couldn't find where i read it prior. Anyhow it came up in Peter King's FMIA last night... so referencing it here. (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/jets-bills-aaron-rodgers-peter-king-fmia-training-camp)

Anyhow, when he accepted his 1 year modified tender they asked him about not "holding out" and this is what Saquon said:

"If I sat out this year and we didn’t have a good record, do you think that’s gonna make another team in free agency or the Giants want to have me come back the next year after I sat out a whole year? ‘We want to give you $15 million a year now.’ I don’t think that’s how it’s going to work."  - Saquon

That is spot-on and exactly the type of thinking JT should be having.

The fact that he seemingly isn't is where he is being led in bad faith by those around him in my humble opinion. 

I keep coming back to Miami. That agent and Taylor have to be REALLY stupid to be pulling off this thing unless they knew someone out there would give him the contract he wants. I'm looking at Miami's salary cap sheet. They have about 13.5M of capspace available. It's very much within reach for them to extend him without even doing anything extraordinary with their contracts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Who cares what other fan bases think?  His fellow owners don't hate him.  He says what they also think.   Jerry Jones is in the same vein.  It looks bad sometimes to the public,  but his fellow owners  agree. 

The only thing Steichen is thinking is how to win ball games,  and buy a huge house with all this money I just made

I think the other owners look at Jimmy as that little brother that will do anything to look cool in front of his big brother and his friends.  But I do agree he’s a mouthpiece for the fraternity on occasion.

Thats what id be focused on if I were Ss.

17 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I too thought you wrote that you spoke to a source. That is why you have to use the Quote box and note where you found the quote. Otherwise, it is assumed to be you.

I knew.  moose jaw lives in the great northern hinterlands. He can maybe get the inside track on moose season and sled dog racing.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I keep coming back to Miami. That agent and Taylor have to be REALLY stupid to be pulling off this thing unless they knew someone out there would give him the contract he wants. I'm looking at Miami's salary cap sheet. They have about 13.5M of capspace available. It's very much within reach for them to extend him without even doing anything extraordinary with their contracts. 

If it's all about the money then Miami makes sense. But if he wants to play for a contender, I'd think twice about going to a division with Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers and Bill Belichick in it... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is true, a huge question is, what if we give him 13 million a year for 3 years = 39 Million before this season and then he gets seriously injured this season. That would really suck.

anyone can get hurt like that. Who are we dealing with? The guy who loves the sport? Or the guy who wants to get the bag to set his family up? There is nothing wrong with either perse, but you know the guy who is in it for the love of the game isn’t going to fall off after getting paid. 

just because it’s the NFL doesn’t mean it’s not just a job. I don’t know JT personally though. So I don’t know which guy he is. 

however as of today, my gut is telling me JT is the latter. Here to get paid, not win SBs. It would seem like a lot of lies and deception going on from JTs camp. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t trust the Colts when it comes to injuries. However everything that’s happening is major red flags for me on JTs character. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If it's all about the money then Miami makes sense. But if he wants to play for a contender, I'd think twice about going to a division with Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers and Bill Belichick in it... 

We have the cap space to pull it off. Patriots were in play for Hopkins till the end. Patriots and Vikings make sense too, IMO, with decent cap space.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We have the cap space to pull it off. Patriots were in play for Hopkins till the end. Patriots and Vikings make sense too, IMO, with decent cap space.

That's the crazy part. Everyone knows we have the space to do it, and we probably would've done it had he just waited and let things play out. Irsay is usually pretty generous in taking care of his star offensive players. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here’s the thing though, until the colts grant him permission to seek such trade, JT not his agent can even be in talks with another team for it. And if it is Miami and they’re already talking to JTs agent, and IF they’re stupid enough to get caught a second time consecutively, the leagues not gonna come down lightly 

The Taylor situation is just one part of it, but I have no feel for where this team is going, for where we might be headed in the Steichen/Richardson era.  It might work or it could be the biggest disaster ever.  

10 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

That’s my plan. Buying a jersey seems like a waste now. 

It is a waste of money.  Players become ex players pretty easily now a days.  No loyalty from either side.  They are commodities.  A means to the end.  I have plenty of “Colts” stuff.  Zero player.  The Faulk trade was the wake up call for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

This is odd, I read the ticker tape on ESPN saying the Colts are saying JT has back pain and may not pay him while JT claims he has no back pain. This does not sound like the two sides are friendly. 

Nope I'm sure JT had some slight pain training and told the team as a safety precaution. Nothing serious. Colts weren't going to make noise about since it could effect Taylor's pay. Then this contract situation arose and Taylor started becoming un reasonable demanding trades or holding out. So Jim pulled the out the Non Football Injury card which I'm sure as some truth to it. It's the only leverage the Colts had over JTs threats. JT has no choice to play and play his best.

If he sits out he loses money and his shot at a decent contract. His only option is to show up and ball out. Touche Jim smart move. 

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

So JT himself said he doesnt have back pain and never did.  

What is even going on anymore lol

I'm pretty sure JT is denying because he doesn't want to lose pay.  He didn't think the Colts would bring it up. The Colts have to have some proof or they would have never brought it up. Is was probably hush hush on part of Indy so Taylor wouldn't lose money and could heal and play this year out. But since he saw green and started playing with fire he got burnt.

• Like 1

We saw this coming, right?

This thing went from tropical disturbance to named hurricane over the course of the offseason. Now we have a couple weeks to see whether Hurricane Taylor makes landfall, but the storm has been building since at least April, with no indication that things would de-escalate.

I don't blame Taylor for wanting a new contract. I don't blame the team for wanting to wait, given the circumstances (JT's health last season, the team transitioning this season). I think Irsay blundered on Twitter last week, and I think Taylor's side is lashing out in a way that probably won't be productive. It's the business, and I'm not taking one side over the other, but I think the same situation could have played out with less acrimony. 

End of the day, I'm fine with whatever the resolution is. I don't think the Colts are going to budge; I wonder if Taylor is willing to sit out games, but I wouldn't be surprised. I definitely wouldn't trade him at this point. If I had to bet, he gets on the field and plays this season, and if he plays well, he either gets a new deal after the trade deadline, or gets tagged in March and we go through another round of media hype. If he doesn't play well, he hits free agency and signs somewhere else.

Eventually the storm will pass. It would have been great if everyone played nice, but there's a tough climate around RB contracts these days, and we just so happen to have a major test case on our roster right now.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You haven’t been reading all of my posts if you think I believe the players don’t know what’s going on.   The opposite is true.   

This viewpoint extends back earlier today when a poster here speculated that the players would be angry with Taylor.  I told the poster that among players, there’s a code.   You don’t begrudge a teammate for doing what they have to do to get their money.   So while they may not say much publicly, privately 99 percent of players likely support Taylor.    And if the Colts are willing to play hardball with Taylor, one of the best and most the players on the team, then they realize the Colts might someday play hardball with them.   The players are very dialed into this.  

Im sure I’ve written plenty for you to disagree with.   So why don’t we save us both the time of meaningless exchanges and agree that we agree on almost nothing.   Fair enough?  

This is true and why you pick and choose your battles. You don't do this to WRs CBs QBs DEs. But you can't have every position on your team playing hardball with and expect the Colts not to play back. Especially at RB. I truly believe if Taylor would sit downwith Jim and Ballard and say I'm not happy I don't agree but said I'll play it out. He would get a contract half way through the season if he was healthy and playing well. Impatience is hurting JT. I think he sees the organizations a suckered who over pay and thought he could bully and milk them. It's about time we stood up. We have overpaid on too many players at non skilled positions or with injury questions and got bit in the but. Wentz, Fisher are injury examples Leonard, Moore, and Nelson are position examples. We can't keep that trend going and build a competitive roster down the road.