Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody leaked because there is no contract offer.    Right now is the perfect time for Taylor to be angry.   It’s the start of a camp where he wouldn’t be playing all that much either way.    

This may carry on into August, but are you now predicting he’s going to hold himself out of regular season games?

He did?    There’s been no leak, so what did he get right?    

Spoke to a source on the Jonathan Taylor contract extension front and was told: "The number he and his team want won't be entertained by anyone in the league including the Colts"

U were saying???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I think your idea of a trade to Buffalo for Cook and pick(s) is really good.  If something changes I think your idea has real possibilities.    :thmup:

Taylor's agent has been liking TONS AND TONS of tweets suggesting we trade him to the Dolphins. No idea if it's just where he's situated or if he has some background info about potential interest. If the Dolphins want Taylor... Get Achane + a second or a 3d and lets roll... 

On JT's trade request in more general terms - at least now we know where he stands. Saw Josina suggesting he has no other option since the Colts won't pay him now. I VEHEMENTLY disagree. In this market, his best option is to play this year, show he's healthy and get an offer after the season. Right now (before this trade request) the Colts were his best option to get a big payday bar none, simply because we are the team that already has him so the price for us will be the lowest - we don't need to give up significant assets in addition to giving him, reportedly, 16M a year. For any other team the price includes both money and draft compensation. 

Now, like with other scenarios - it only takes one team... so maybe it's possible. But the market for the RBs so far has been so dry that I doubt it... And it won't get any better in the future, like others have pointed out with a great class becoming FAs in 2024. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

4 million per year is pretty much minimum wage for football players.  Again, you can’t compare NFL players to everyday pay it’s apples to oranges.  If you were making way less than what others who work in your profession are making you’d want a pay raise too.  

I am not saying Taylor is going to get it or is going about it the right way but I understand why he wants it. 

You’re right, but we commoners also know what it means to have a deal worth $4 million guaranteed. Set for life! I do see your point though. 

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

You’re right, but we commoners also know what it means to have a deal worth $4 million guaranteed. Set for life! I do see your point though. 

Yeah I’ve said before it’s very hard for people who will never make that much money in their lives let  alone in one year to understand why someone would get upset over it.  

I’ve found it helps me to remember it’s relative.  They aren’t comparing their wages to jobs most of us have.  They are comparing it to other NFL players and NFL running backs are significantly underpaid compared to most other positions which is why they are trying to change it.  I don’t think it’s going to work but I understand why they want it changed.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Spoke to a source on the Jonathan Taylor contract extension front and was told: "The number he and his team want won't be entertained by anyone in the league including the Colts"

U were saying???

I have no idea what you’re talking about, and I strongly doubt you do either.   “You talked to a source…” ?!?    Puh-leeeze….

Either way, look at the two threads, there are reports everywhere, this is well beyond a leak.   

So what’s your point?   

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not everyone lives and breaths Colts football and knows the rules of PUP and the roster count.

I get that, but it takes a quick Google search to debunk this false take.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is brutal. If he doesn't get traded, there's a real chance he holds out all year IMO. 

Haha he Can't!  He holds out a year and then he loses his accrued year and isn't a free agent basically..... He's absolutely crapped the bed on this whole thing.

I blame the agent/zoom call.  JT hired this numbskull, likely at ShaqDarius' suggestion, does the guy have any other NFL clients?!  

That zoom call/pout fest orchestrated by Ekeler was the moment in the timeline JT stopped saying positive things and claiming he knew the deal, etc.....  And a few days radio silence.... Then the negatives started pouring out..... The agent/zoom call....  He can't be this dumb.... I used to think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe Ballard is starting to change his ways.

No I think Steichen prefers the committee approach. And none of the recent Super Bowl teams from the past couple years have spent big on RB. They were RBBC. I think if they pay Taylor it's probably going to be a Tag or Two then let him move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

If he holds out all year he'll never see a nice contract. He'll be lucky if a contender will take him on a lower offer if he is smart enough to sign. LeVeon 2.0

Agreed w this take in general. But Mainly because I think the NFL has learned from the Le’Veon Bell situation. 

for what it’s worth, Bell sat a year. He had made around $16M for his entire career in five years before sitting a year. Then he got another $27M the next two years he came back from the jets before he was done. And he was never the same player. 

so he got his money in the end but probably could have earned a lot more just staying put and continuing down the path he was on. 

history exists for us to learn from it. That’s literally the entire point of people studying history lol 

JT is taking a page out of the wrong book if he even considers sitting. Not to mention the contract tolling. 

but make no mistake , if he sits everyone loses. His value continues to plummet in any trade. His loses a year of earnings and a better chance at a payday. 

but if he was LeVeon 2.0 he’d likely be content w that $27M he got for two years. Lol

i just think like you suggested that he can’t be Le’veon 2.0 because no team is gonna make the jets mistake if he sits. He needs to go the saquon route and just show up and maybe even ask for a little more guaranteed this year. Saquon got like an extra $1M. And yes that’s a tag and not under contract like JT. But man he probably has to either suck it up and play or scrape for any tiny win he can get 

such a sucky situation all around. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed w this take in general. But Mainly because I think the NFL has learned from the Le’Veon Bell situation. 

for what it’s worth, Bell sat a year. He had made around $16M for his entire career in five years before sitting a year. Then he got another $27M the next two years he came back from the jets before he was done. And he was never the same player. 

so he got his money in the end but probably could have earned a lot more just staying put and continuing down the path he was on. 

history exists for us to learn from it. That’s literally the entire point of people studying history lol 

JT is taking a page out of the wrong book if he even considers sitting. Not to mention the contract tolling. 

but make no mistake , if he sits everyone loses. His value continues to plummet in any trade. His loses a year of earnings and a better chance at a payday. 

but if he was LeVeon 2.0 he’d likely be content w that $27M he got for two years. Lol

i just think like you suggested that he can’t be Le’veon 2.0 because no team is gonna make the jets mistake if he sits. He needs to go the saquon route and just show up and maybe even ask for a little more guaranteed this year. Saquon got like an extra $1M. And yes that’s a tag and not under contract like JT. But man he probably has to either suck it up and play or scrape for any tiny win he can get 

such a sucky situation all around. 

Nice post! 

I think some people might be overlooking a crucial point in this conflict: Taylor and his agent are not only at “war” with the Colts, they have taken on the whole NFL. A battle they will never win. It is unclear to me whether Taylor understands this and is taking one for the “RB team”, but you can be sure that a lot of NFL owners and GM are NOT upset with Irsay right now… think about that… 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Plenty of talented backs on the roster. JT isn’t taking this team to the SB. 

Perhaps…..

But this team may very well be ready for the playoffs next year.   And any playoff caliber team is far better WITH JT than without him.  

I think the JT decision is a 2-3 year decision because this might be a quick turnaround.   If we have to move on from him then so be it.   But I’d prefer to find a way to compromise and keep him.  

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

I get that, but it takes a quick Google search to debunk this false take.

Yeah, but what does it take for some fans to realize that there is a very contentious possibly irrevocably fractious relationship between the Colts and Taylor?

I think one might be able to find that on the internets too?

56 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We really can’t have a normal run of the mill off-season and training camp, can we? Every year… 

Nope it is always something with this team anymore. Whether it be greedy players, our FO not handling things right, etc.. Fans are a huge part of this league, I wonder sometimes if some of the players even care about the fans? If Peyton was here, this nonsense wouldn't be going on. He would tell JT to get his rear in order and he would also being telling management we Need this guy.

This crap is becoming a crap show every year with something negative.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, w87r said:

He would come back in week 10 to get his accrued season. Would do the same thing in 24+25.

True.  JT would want to ball out and prove himself over those final 7 games.  The thing is that the Colts could keep him on the bench, even if he's "back".  I doubt they'd let a guy play who has a "I play when I want to" attitude. JT will really screw himself if he goes that route.  No one will take a real chance on him until they see him play after the injury.  If he plays this year, he's pretty much guaranteed to at least get 10m the year (if the Colts tag him)after his contract is up.  If he chooses to sit until week 10, he will ride the bench weeks 10-17 and not sniff anywhere near 10m. Colts obviously won't tag him if he chooses to sit until week 10, and he also wouldn't get a contract from another team worth anywhere near 10m/year.  

I like JT, and this is all speculation, but I really think his agent is the one that's encouraging a lot of this crap.  I am concerned for JT because I like the guy.  If he IS just listening to bad advice from his agent, going about this the wrong way could potentially cost him several million dollars.  

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nope it is always something with this team anymore. Whether it be greedy players, our FO not handling things right, etc.. Fans are a huge part of this league, I wonder sometimes if some of the players even care about the fans? If Peyton was here, this nonsense wouldn't be going on. He would tell JT to get his rear in order and he would also being telling management we Need this guy.

This crap is becoming a crap show every year with something negative.

I agree if we had Peyton this wouldn’t be happening. However, we have a rookie QB that will most likely have a run based offense the first few years while he develops as a passer. I don’t blame JT one bit for any of this.  He most likely has 700-1000 elite carries left in this league. He wants to be paid for them. Unfortunately for him we could use those all up this year and next with the franchise tag.  I appreciate the hardball from the team and not signing a RB to a monster contract. I was hoping they would trade him back in April to avoid all of this but I get why they would want JT behind a rookie QB. I hope they choose to wait this out and see what happens. Taylor will suit up eventually. 

• Like 1

Irsay is doing amazing right now! Love that he’s putting his foot down and not giving a F. I would love for JT to dare sit out all year and we franchise him next year. He wants to try to screw us we can do it way harder. Anyone who doesnt agree with how irsay is handling this is wrong. He runs a multi billion dollar team and you expect him to be happy anout this? Glad to see most members here are actually on Irsays side!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree if we had Peyton this wouldn’t be happening. However, we have a rookie QB that will most likely have a run based offense the first few years while he develops as a passer. I don’t blame JT one bit for any of this.  He most likely has 700-1000 elite carries left in this league. He wants to be paid for them. Unfortunately for him we could use those all up this year and next with the franchise tag.  I appreciate the hardball from the team and not signing a RB to a monster contract. I was hoping they would trade him back in April to avoid all of this but I get why they would want JT behind a rookie QB. I hope they choose to wait this out and see what happens. Taylor will suit up eventually. 

AR has to be AR and just worry about getting good. None of this is his fault and he is a rookie just trying to prove himself. This is all JT and Irsay's fault. Multi millionaire's that can't even work out a damn deal so this  unnecessary distraction can go away. Fans in general are getting tired of this kind of crap. It is showing in here with many fans being frustrated. Why can't for once, we can just go into camp with no distractions? We got a young athletic promising QB and a new bright Coach and have to deal with this nonsense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

What is his trade value?   Faulk got a 2 and 5 

if he leaves via free agency what would the compensatory pick be?   I think you have to calculate that in to trade offers 

At the moment? Probably something like a 4 because of the 1 year remaining of his rookie contract. Then the that team would be in the same mess as us in determining what to offer him. Not to mention no one truly knows if he’s physically 100% back to his 2021 form… 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

At the moment? Probably something like a 4 because of the 1 year remaining of his rookie contract. Then the that team would be in the same mess as us in determining what to offer him. Not to mention no one truly knows if he’s physically 100% back to his 2021 form… 

I was thinking if he plays out the contract then signs elsewhere it would be a 3 or 4 as compensatory so they should hold out in trade for a 3+

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Nice post! 

I think some people might be overlooking a crucial point in this conflict: Taylor and his agent are not only at “war” with the Colts, they have taken on the whole NFL. A battle they will never win. It is unclear to me whether Taylor understands this and is taking one for the “RB team”, but you can be sure that a lot of NFL owners and GM are NOT upset with Irsay right now… think about that… 

I think you’re right about this.

It’s not about Taylor v. Colts. It’s Taylor v. the League. His problem is if the other FA RBs aren’t in on this he’ll never play in the league again if he keeps asking for that kind of money. 

I can’t get behind it though because of the millionaires v. billionaires whining. Can’t stand it.

I get the money will just land in the pockets of the owners if the players don’t get a fair share. What Taylor fails to realise is the extra money he wants RBs to get has to come from the other players because of the CBA - and a lot of other positions are just more valuable to a team currently. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR has to be AR and just worry about getting good. None of this is his fault and he is a rookie just trying to prove himself. This is all JT and Irsay's fault. Multi millionaire's that can't even work out a damn deal so this  unnecessary distraction can go away. Fans in general are getting tired of this kind of crap. It is showing in here with many fans being frustrated. Why can't for once, we can just go into camp with no distractions? We got a young athletic promising QB and a new bright Coach and have to deal with this nonsense.

While I agree it’s tiresome, I don’t feel it’s crap or nonsense. JT knows we could easily use up the last great years of his career. If it goes as planned AR blossoms into a franchise QB and JT is sent packing with his best years behind him. It’s fun to us but business to these players. 

What would you do if in JTs position?  Think of it like a player. You could earn 4-15m the next two years or try to ink a contract that gets you 24-32m?  If he is injured this year he doesn’t get the franchise tag and faces being offered prove it deals. If he returns to form he is tagged and gets another 11-12m and then again faces injury risk. 

As a fan I’m with you and I want him to shut up and play so we can get this team back on track. Looking at it objectively though, I get JT wants maximize his earning potential bc there is a lot at risk here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps…..

But this team may very well be ready for the playoffs next year.   And any playoff caliber team is far better WITH JT than without him.  

I think the JT decision is a 2-3 year decision because this might be a quick turnaround.   If we have to move on from him then so be it.   But I’d prefer to find a way to compromise and keep him.  

I like to deal in facts. The fact is, we don’t know how JT will look post injury. I hope it isn’t the case, but what if he’s lost a step or two—so to say any playoff caliber team would be “far better” with JT is unknowable, until we see him on the field. More facts — we don’t know that JT will fulfill what Steichen likes in his backs. So to say we’d be better with him as if it’s a fact is just not factual. Maybe we’d be better with a RB committee, or with someone not even on our roster now. It’s just your opinion, not facts, that a post injury JT moving into a new system will make a club “FAR BETTER” than without him. 

On 7/28/2023 at 1:38 PM, jvan1973 said:

AR when he becomes a starter will be in top 5 qb rushes.   Maybe he transforms eventually.   But they know who they drafted

I don't doubt those stats at all.   But AR/JT as a 1-2 power rushing team is going to face a stacked box.

I think SS learns to spread out the D, call a one-read pass play, then AR gets his top 5 rushing yards by defeating the spy and running through a spread out defense.  Ad-lib rushing, not designed rushing.  JMO.

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but Gregg Doyel really took JT and his agent apart in a recent column. The agent takes a lot of heat from Doyel, but as posters here have said: JT is the one letting his new agent have so much freedom. In any case, it’s sad to see such a player’s rep and popularity in free fall like this. 

• Like 2

Interesting.  I thought JT was a poor fit for SSs offense the day SS was hired.  I questioned JTs role because SS has not had a premium down hill runner as the feature.  

Its early, but does Hull look a little like Ekelar?  Hull was drafted by SS.  Hmmmm.

I think JT knows he's not a great fit, but injury kept him from being traded and made any discussions moot.  Wait to be healed, then pursue strategy for getting paid and used in a O he can earn his money in.

Sorry Homers, this turn of events is not surprising, and actually expected.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but Gregg Doyel really took JT and his agent apart in a recent column. The agent takes a lot of heat from Doyel, but as posters here have said: JT is the one letting his new agent have so much freedom. In any case, it’s sad to see such a player’s rep and popularity in free fall like this. 

Yeah read that a little bit ago.

Usually can't stand Doyle, but that article was decent.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/07/29/colts-rb-jonathan-taylor-requests-trade-upon-bad-advice-from-agent/70493644007/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1