Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No RB signings?

BProland85

Just now, BProland85 said:

With all the injuries to the RBs I’m shocked Ballard isn’t bringing in a vet RB or another RB from another teams practice squad. What is the plan?

I heard this morning on the Bowen show that Moss is probably going to play this week. If we would've had any kind of run game on Sunday, that was real winnable. Our RB's stunk on Sunday. AR played well with what he had, and he had at least 2 or 3 good runs but that isn't enough. Can't be putting him in harm's way. Luck was doing the same thing when he was here.

37 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With all the injuries to the RBs I’m shocked Ballard isn’t bringing in a vet RB or another RB from another teams practice squad. What is the plan?

They elevated funk and signed Goodson to the PS. I assume they expect Moss back soon and will continue to roll with whoever is on the roster.

53 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

A tight budget and very high draft picks in 24. Simple, and appropriate. Yet incomprehensible by many couch GM's.

Going 8-9, 9-8 year after year stinks.

We need top talent. Draft, develop, and hopefully hit big enough there you can splurge on the needed pieces through Trade or FA that gives the Team a great shot at a SB.

We are young and unproven throughout our roster. We ARE far from a contender, so we plan for the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR played well with what he had, and he had at least 2 or 3 good runs but that isn't enough. Can't be putting him in harm's way. Luck was doing the same thing when he was here.

I'm confused.  You're saying that 2 or 3 runs aren't enough, but yet don't put him in harms way.  Running more would do that.

Not you, but I've also read comments about how he should slide more to protect himself.   

Just curious as to how AR/SS is supposed to use his athletic abilities as a runner.  Almost by definition, its going to put himself in harms way if he runs.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm confused.  You're saying that 2 or 3 runs aren't enough, but yet don't put him in harms way.  Running more would do that.

Not you, but I've also read comments about how he should slide more to protect himself.   

Just curious as to how AR/SS is supposed to use his athletic abilities as a runner.  Almost by definition, its going to put himself in harms way if he runs.

I think he meant that for our running game in general. 

Like we have to get more out of rb's, cause 2 or 3 good runs by AR where he puts his body on the line is not enough to get the ground game going. 

I understood it that way :thinking:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Like we have to get more out of rb's, cause 2 or 3 good runs by AR where he puts his body on the line is not enough to get the ground game going. 

Yep, that is what I meant.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

See ColtsGermany post.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, that is what I meant.

See ColtsGermany post.

How much do you think AR should be running....as a designed RB type of play?  

Honestly, I haven't figured that out yet myself, because if we are enamored with his size, speed and athleticism then that tells me he should be using it in the running game or else they are kind of moot attributes.  But then he exposes himself to injury.

Like that 4th quarter run near the goal line.  He can't slide there, because he'd gain two yards.  He can either charge his way into the defenders to try to score, or sit in the pocket scanning the endzone like a pass-first Qb would do.  Who do we want him to be?

Answering the question about how much AR should run sort of blends into the thought of how much talent we need at RB. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

A tight budget and very high draft picks in 24. Simple, and appropriate. Yet incomprehensible by many couch GM's.

We need top talent. Draft, develop, and hopefully hit big enough there you can splurge on the needed pieces through Trade or FA that gives the Team a great shot at a SB.

We are young and unproven throughout our roster. We ARE far from a contender, so we plan for the future.

All true. However, you have to have a competent running game or AR is going to struggle. My guess is they don’t want to commit to anything until the Taylor situation becomes clearer. If Taylor and Hull return Week 5-6, and no further injuries occur, your RB problem is solved. For now. 

• Like 3

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/9/13/23872219/report-colts-tried-out-former-rams-rb-darrell-henderson-on-tuesday

Report: Colts tried out former Rams RB Darrell Henderson on Tuesday

...The former 2019 third round pick of the Rams has 396 carries for 1,742 total rushing yards (4.4 ypc. avg.) and 13 rushing touchdowns during 50 career games (28 starts).

He won a Super Bowl with the Rams to conclude the 2021 campaign.

Last season, Henderson had 70 carries for 283 rushing yards (4.0 ypc. avg.) and 3 rushing touchdowns in 10 games (7 starts) for the Rams before being waived and later signed and waived by the Jacksonville Jaguars during the final stretch of the 2022 regular season...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Honestly, I haven't figured that out yet myself, because if we are enamored with his size, speed and athleticism then that tells me he should be using it in the running game or else they are kind of moot attributes.  But then he exposes himself to injury.

Like that 4th quarter run near the goal line.  He can't slide there, because he'd gain two yards.  He can either charge his way into the defenders to try to score, or sit in the pocket scanning the endzone like a pass-first Qb would do.  Who do we want him to be?

Answering the question about how much AR should run sort of blends into the thought of how much talent we need at RB. 

Context, I think. On that second-effort play near the goal line late in the fourth quarter, he has to go for extra yards and take some punishment. In the second quarter, he doesn’t need to lower his shoulder and initiate contact for two yards. He has to use his legs and athleticism on a routine basis or we just have an avg to below avg pocket passer. 

• Like 1

Time will tell.

It's my understanding that Zach Moss might be available on Sunday.

Ballard could be working "behind the scenes" on securing a running back.

Plus - let us not forget that Jonathan Taylor IS UNDER CONTRACT TO THE COLTS for the duration of the season.

Once he passes his physical - he either plays - OR - he doesn't get paid.  

Simple as that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

The hard truth is that an injury can happen regardless of what the QB is doing… could be a run, could be in the pocket…

It seems like they’re wanting him to pass more than run. But after 1 game it’s hard to tell. And then Shane mentioned he hasn’t really opened the playbook yet. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Context, I think. On that second-effort play near the goal line late in the fourth quarter, he has to go for extra yards and take some punishment. In the second quarter, he doesn’t need to lower his shoulder and initiate contact for two yards. He has to use his legs and athleticism on a routine basis or we just have an avg to below avg pocket passer. 

Yeah, I agree.  Its situational.  I don't remember the second quarter run you're talking about, but the goal line situations, he has to try to score there.  Same thing with FDs during the game, IMO, he shouldn't slide unless he gets it,,,if its close of course.  I saw him scramble and run out of bounds a few times.  For the most part, I think he protected himself when he needed to and then collided when he needed to.   He can't slide all of the time or else his athleticism becomes less relevant.

Compared to Ryan, I think SS expects AR to get quite a bit of rushing yardage from scrambles and broken pass plays.  I don't know if you pay to have feature RB on the team in that case.  Draft another one. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

No more than a few per game of those.  They also called several read option plays on sunday and i could see that being a big part of the offense.  That way he can hand it off unless there is an obvious hole for him

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

This is t the NBA.  One or two high draft picks don't make much difference for a while..... you can do the same thing in FA, we don't do that either lol 

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://clutchpoints.com/rumor-2-rbs-colts-are-eyeing-amid-jonathan-taylor-situation

Per article above:

"The Colts have been in contact with both Leonard Fournette and Kareem Hunt, via Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano on ESPN. Running back is one position Indianapolis clearly has their eyes on as they look to upgrade their roster."

this whole jt situation is so frustrating.  I hate that he is on the pup.  Wish they could just settle and get him on the field.  I think we beat the jags easily if he played.  
Now even if they came to terms he still can’t play until week 5.  

• Like 1

There was more going on than D.Jackson being bad and he was bad. The oline is also learning a new system and their first game was against a pretty good D-Line. AR had a nice debut but he did make the wrong choice more than once when running the RPO. There were times he handed the ball off when he should have run the ball. 

Goodson was a real good back at Iowa. His last year there though he ran pretty tentatively because the oline was horrible. It led to too many negative yardage runs. 

20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I am currently operating under the assumption that we are tanking on purpose. O-Line bad last year (did nothing to improve it) RB room catastrophically depleted we do nothing to improve it......instead of Suck for Luck, think, "We can't run the ball son" for Harrison (jr.)...... or something as equally un-sexy to say LOL 

19 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

This team/Ballard should more than know better from when Luck did this, and how that previous situation played out! 

12 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

There was more going on than D.Jackson being bad and he was bad. The oline is also learning a new system and their first game was against a pretty good D-Line. AR had a nice debut but he did make the wrong choice more than once when running the RPO. There were times he handed the ball off when he should have run the ball. 

Goodson was a real good back at Iowa. His last year there though he ran pretty tentatively because the oline was horrible. It led to too many negative yardage runs. 

Someone posted a video, on the OL thread I believe,  showing AR making the wrong choice on one play and he was stuffed.  If he zigged instead of zagged he would have gone through the OL as the play was designed and scored a long running touchdown.  Two great blocks by Kelly and Fries would have sprung him if he made the designed and right choice.  But he didn’t.  People need to be patient with the OL and not just AR.  They did not cause that play to be stopped.  AR did.