Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Current State of the Offensive Line

ProblChld32

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I get it. But do you see where I am coming from? The run blocking, at least on handoffs, looked atrocious. I have to assume, the reason we graded out as 10th best, had to be, that AR-5's runs padded the statistics? So I guess I am ok with that.

But my point is, after watching game one, I would not get too excited about our run blocking, until they find a way to open some holes for the RBs 

We cannot expect Richardson to be our primary weapon in the running game. if that's the case, he's bound to get hurt.

Yes I do.   Blocking for RB handoffs has been a problem since the last few games of 2021.

I think that PFF scored run blocking fairly poorly anyways though, and that the overall oline grades were elevated because of good pass blocking, so I'm not sure where you see that PFF scored run blocking very high.. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

...I'm not sure where you see that PFF scored run blocking very high.. 

I didn't see any of the PFF grades. I never use that site. I only read their reports here.

I was quoting from a post on page three that read:

Just read where pff graded the Colts OL as 10th in run blocking and 15th in pass blocking after the first game.  A big jump and a good start compared to last year.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I get it. But do you see where I am coming from? The run blocking, at least on handoffs, looked atrocious. I have to assume, the reason we graded out as 10th best, had to be, that AR-5's runs padded the statistics? So I guess I am ok with that.

But my point is, after watching game one, I would not get too excited about our run blocking, until they find a way to open some holes for the RBs 

We cannot expect Richardson to be our primary weapon in the running game. if that's the case, he's bound to get hurt.

It could be that part of the lack of success at running is RB related when they looked over the plays because their grades aren’t stat driven if I remember right.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I didn't see any of the PFF grades. I never use that site. I only read their reports here.

I was quoting from a post on page three that read:

Ok, I do the same.  IIRC, PFF graded a few of our linemen's run blocking in the 50s, but pass blocking and overall grade was good.  There is a thread showing it.

I guess the rank means that other teams graded below the Colts 50s.  Or the poster grabbed the wrong team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It could be that part of the lack of success at running is RB related when they looked over the plays because their grades aren’t stat driven if I remember right.

Maybe, but as I mentioned earlier... It looked pretty obvious, from my watching, and then rewatching of the game,  that there simply were not many holes for the RBs to run through. 

@w87r

Hey a heads up.    I’ve called and spoken with PFF before.   But this time around, I could not find a phone number of any type.   Not on the website, nor on the internet.  

So I’ve had an email exchange and I’m still waiting for a reply.    Not sure if/when I’ll get  a response?   The first reply I received was automated, and not a person.   Wanted to at least let you know I’ve tried to find out about some of the peculiar scores we see from time to time.  

Of course, I’ll keep you posted….

• Like 1

I suspect without the penalty Fries’ grade would have been in the ballpark of the the rest of the starters. I think he’s being unfairly criticized a bit for game 1.  I think he plays with a bit of a nasty streak. 

We have to remember part of the poor numbers on handoffs can also be from AR making the wrong choice on the RPO which did happen a couple of times. For example, he dinged his knee in the first half. The very next play they ran an RPO. AR handed the ball off when he should have kept it. Maybe because he got dinged, but it was the wrong choice. 

BTW, one huge downfall of the Sunday Ticket being on Youtube now is you can’t watch things frame by frame to watch plays develop and truly see who is winning blocks. FFD and RWD is in 15 sec intervals.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rayski said:

Some of the negativity around this team here is truly baffling, people out here are talking about the team tanking after Week 1

If this is what you expect from your team, front office and coaching groups, why even follow 

I assume you’re talking about me.   I believe I'm the poster using the term tank most often here, though I’ve called it a semi-tank. 

I follow the team because I think this is a good strategy.   I think it will benefit the franchise in the long run.   The young players will be given every opportunity to improve and grow and learn on the job. 

I think the team will win roughly 6-7 games.   I think the Colts will pick in the top-10 next year, maybe in the top-5, and the franchise might make a nice improvement next year.   

Short term pain, long term gain. 

Hope I addressed your concerns? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume you’re talking about me.   I believe I'm the poster using the term tank most often here, though I’ve called it a semi-tank. 

I follow the team because I think this is a good strategy.   I think it will benefit the franchise in the long run.   The young players will be given every opportunity to improve and grow and learn on the job. 

I think the team will win roughly 6-7 games.   I think the Colts will pick in the top-10 next year, maybe in the top-5, and the franchise might make a nice improvement next year.   

Short term pain, long term gain. 

Hope I addressed your concerns? 

I wasn't specifically talking about you, more like your comment triggered a response to a topic I see being brought up here all the time

Giving a chance to younger players whose development would pay off in the long run like our corners over Gilmore etc, isn't the same as tanking which I don't believe is in the character of this organisation either, definitely not at this point of the season

Not looking to be a keyboard warrior, just don't get this negativity here around team (again not a comment on your comment)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rayski said:

I wasn't specifically talking about you, more like your comment triggered a response to a topic I see being brought up here all the time

Giving a chance to younger players whose development would pay off in the long run like our corners over Gilmore etc, isn't the same as tanking which I don't believe is in the character of this organisation either, definitely not at this point of the season

Not looking to be a keyboard warrior, just don't get this negativity here around team (again not a comment on your comment)

Playing Curtis Painter as long as we did was as blatant a tank as one could see.  Irsay and Polian knew exactly what they were doing, and sticking with what we have now is easy to read.

We will compete with what we have and the better draft PICKS we have next year definitely will help long term. Irsay, Ballard, and Steichen and our Capologist have a 2-3 year framework for building a SB contender and winning this year, would be costly. We need studs. Several of our current" best" players won't be here for a SB contending season.

Build around the draft, developing our own talent, resigning our own if possible, and filling in the cracks in FAgency at the appropriate time.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Playing Curtis Painter as long as we did was as blatant a tank as one could see.  Irsay and Polian knew exactly what they were doing, and sticking with what we have now is easy to read.

We will compete with what we have and the better draft PICKS we have next year definitely will help long term. Irsay, Ballard, and Steichen and our Capologist have a 2-3 year framework for building a SB contender and winning this year, would be costly. We need studs. Several of our current" best" players won't be here for a SB contending season.

Build around the draft, developing our own talent, resigning our own if possible, and filling in the cracks in FAgency at the appropriate time.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

The issue with FA isn't Ballard but the location of the franchise, it's an area we have historically struggled in

Regarding the suck for luck, this has been discussed at length and don't think we can add much more to that story. You either on one side or the other.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rayski said:

Some of the negativity around this team here is truly baffling, people out here are talking about the team tanking after Week 1

If this is what you expect from your team, front office and coaching groups, why even follow 

I cant believe there is a poster on here who believes the colts are tanking. that poster must have never played competitive sports and fails to understand that players want to be great to make more money and players want to win more than anything. these players have self pride and would never look bad on purpose. this poster must have read one too many message boards and tweets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I cant believe there is a poster on here who believes the colts are tanking. that poster must have never played competitive sports and fails to understand that players want to be great to make more money and players want to win more than anything. these players have self pride and would never look bad on purpose. this poster must have read one too many message boards and tweets.

Also how about coaches or front office personal? How many survived the purge in 2011?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rayski said:

Also how about coaches or front office personal? How many survived the purge in 2011?

I have oldfanman on ignore just for posts like this. 

It's a given that players will compete. If you don't they can mess with your PT.

Simply put for the hardest of heads, we could have upgraded a few positions that so many thousands of posts here clamored for.

But management didn't do it. The hard headed say tank isn't happening.

Neither is going all out in the hopes of going 8-9. Irsay hates 8-9.

We desperately need to be drafting high in 2024. We will see how Ballard and Steichen handle things to better judge this year's philosophy.

8 hours ago, rayski said:

Thanks.   Appreciate the comment.   

But for me, far more than the negativity, I’m wondering where are all the posters we normally have here?    I asked over the summer and people guessed they’d be back when camp opened.   Well, it’s come and gone and it’s week two and it still feels to me like we have a very small turn out on this site.  

Normally I think we’ve got about 250-300 regular daily/weekly posters (I’m guessing)   But to me it feels like maybe we only currently have about 50-100 posters on any given day. (Again, a guess).   Believe it or not, the total Colts.com community is supposed to be well over 20,000.   But most of them lurk and read.   I don’t know why people aren’t more interested in this team?   I think this is an interesting team to watch and might even become a fun team to watch.   I hope we’ll see more of our regulars back soon.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I have oldfanman on ignore just for posts like this. 

It's a given that players will compete. If you don't they can mess with your PT.

Simply put for the hardest of heads, we could have upgraded a few positions that so many thousands of posts here clamored for.

But management didn't do it. The hard headed say tank isn't happening.

Neither is going all out in the hopes of going 8-9. Irsay hates 8-9.

We desperately need to be drafting high in 2024. We will see how Ballard and Steichen handle things to better judge this year's philosophy.

Too early to decide that we desperately need to be drafting high in 2024.  We might have our quarterback and left tackle and maybe ER if Kwity gets going.  Those are the positions that go early.  So the sky is not falling for me.  Way too early for that outlook.  I think this is a good team.  A young team at that.  They have tremendous potential is the way I see it.  I’m not panicking and no where near desperate right now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rayski said:

I think it’s because some people saw this year as being a competitive year.  I knew coming into this season we are probably going to be a top 10 pick team next year.  Does that mean the team need to tank?  No, I think we’re more well off than the other teams we are picking around.  I think our problem is we lack the dynamic talent at impactful positions.  I think we finally filled one of them (QB) but the other ones are going to bring this team down (WR, DE, and another defensive player besides buck and Leonard).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Danny Pinter's loss to IR was a big hit to our depth.

Quenton Nelson's toe injury could put us "behind the 8 ball" in Houston - a game that is very very winnable!!

I think Colts will be fine. Texans have a lot of injuries as well maybe missing more players than us... Colts win!!

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Too early to decide that we desperately need to be drafting high in 2024.  We might have our quarterback and left tackle and maybe ER if Kwity gets going.  Those are the positions that go early.  So the sky is not falling for me.  Way too early for that outlook.  I think this is a good team.  A young team at that.  They have tremendous potential is the way I see it.  I’m not panicking and no where near desperate right now.

A true WR1 and a Blue chip CB

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

French is a pure Center Danny they moved around thinking he could play various positions highly and his confidence got shattered .

Again we’ll see.  Right now French had done exactly what Pinter did.  Come into a game after the other team has no tape on you and hasn’t game planned for you and played well which he gets credit for but as we saw with Pinter that doesn’t always mean you are ready to be a starter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which a lot of credit needs to go to Fries and Smith for.  That’s where he was lining up and they stone walled him almost all day.

A lot of folks here been hard on French, but I had a feeling he might develop. Hoping he continues to impress.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

A lot of folks here been hard on French, but I had a feeling he might develop. Hoping he continues to impress.

We’ll see and I hope he does and I give him credit for today but there is a big difference in coming into a game when the other team has no tape on you and didn’t game plan for you vs doing it when the other team does those things.  If Kelly can’t go this week and French does next week vs the Ravens that will be a big test for him because the Ravens will 100% attack him and Fries in the middle.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only play I remember. Is smith having to take the pennant or he would have got yo Richardson.

Smith (who might be the worst color commentator in TV history and for a sport that includes Cris Collinsworth that’s saying something) highlighted a play where he went right at Fries who just backed up with him and moved him out of the way and said a lot of how you play on the lines is about technique and Anderson was used to college where he could just run around people and you can’t do that in the NFL.