Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane impressed on 1st draft press mtg

AustexColt

I know that this is early in the draft process but this first draft press meeting gave me a very pleasant impression of Shane. He came across as no "crap" to his responses. They are short and too the point. If it is something that invites a spin, he calmly and respectfully declines an answer. I saw a different Ballard next to Shane than with Reich. Shane was more of a Vrabel. Ballard was calm, resolute and truthful in their selection of AR. AR has the highest ceiling among all the QBs and will be fun to watch him play, and win games. 

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I know that this is early in the draft process but this first draft press meeting gave me a very pleasant impression of Shane. He came across as no "crap" to his responses. They are short and too the point. If it is something that invites a spin, he calmly and respectfully declines an answer. I saw a different Ballard next to Shane than with Reich. Shane was more of a Vrabel. Ballard was calm, resolute and truthful in their selection of AR. AR has the highest ceiling among all the QBs and will be fun to watch him play, and win games. 

Apparently, you and I were watching a completely different video.    

No crap from Steichen?

A different Ballard? 

Yup….  Different video.  

Holy cow…..    :peek:

Ballard has always been honest. 

Steichen can avoid answering questions all he wants. I appreciate that. What I don’t appreciate is people who are not truthful. Lying is a very bad trait someone can have. 

Bill Belichick can be short with the press. But he never intentionally lies.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Steichen can avoid answering questions all he wants. I appreciate that. What I don’t appreciate is people who are not truthful. Lying is a very bad trait someone can have. 

Let's wait and see if it becomes a trend. He is a first time head coach after all... Could also be as simple as he changed his mind after watching the Florida tape. 

And we will never know the full truth of the process behind closed doors. 

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Let's wait and see if it becomes a trend. He is a first time head coach after all... Could also be as simple as he changed his mind after watching the Florida tape. 

And we will never know the full truth of the process behind closed doors. 

That’s what I am hoping is the case. 

This is a stretch. Two things can be true at the same time. Steichen said his MAIN quality in a qb that he looks for is accuracy BUT see something so unique and special in Richardson that he's willing to make an exception to his own rule. Does he feel that he can change some of that by working with AR's mechanics similar to what Buffalo did with Allen? I'm guessing so... If it was all about accuracy then the Colts would've moved up and took Stroud or Young.

I'm sensing this is more of the Colts not drafting a Levis thing. (I could be wrong) Levis is Wentz 2.0 in his decision making and Cutler/George like in attitude that has big arm abilities. He couldn't beat out in 3 yrs the very average Collins at Penn St so he transferred to Kentucky and was meh in two seasons. Supposedly he rubbed teams the wrong way with a cocky attitude and his game tape didn't match the sentiment. I'm hard on Ballard but agree with him on this call. Levis had 8 team visits and ALL passed in the first round. He'll get drafted in the second so it's not the end of the world for him.

Irsay and Ballard chose the rising oc in Steichen to become their hc so they might as well give him the guy that he WANTS as his qb period. If I say lasagna is my favorite food but see some spaghetti on the menu that looks DELICIOUS and choose that instead doesn't mean I lied about lasagna being my favorite. Plus you're talking about players being drafted. There's smokescreens and gamesmanship going on all the time to keep teams off balance by NOT showing your hand.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

What is he lying bout?

He said he values accuracy and work ethic. He looked at AR and said to himself that he could fix his accuracy. So, in fact, he is not lying. Now, if he would have said he values speed, strong arm,  and athletic abilities  and picked Stroud. Now, that would have been an outright lie as u can't fix that . Just like u can't fix stupid lol.

is it rough being the smartest person in the world?

4 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm sensing this is more of the Colts not drafting a Levis thing. (I could be wrong) Levis is Wentz 2.0 in his decision making and Cutler/George like in attitude that has big arm abilities. He couldn't beat out in 3 yrs the very average Collins at Penn St so he transferred to Kentucky and was meh in two seasons. Supposedly he rubbed teams the wrong way with a cocky attitude and his game tape didn't match the sentiment. I'm hard on Ballard but agree with him on this call. Levis had 8 team visits and ALL passed in the first round. He'll get drafted in the second so it's not the end of the world for him.

I am the one who called Levis out for all those issues... You are using the words I said, before the draft. And had many on here call me a hater of him... 

I call balls and strikes.

Try again. 

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He said he values accuracy and work ethic. He looked at AR and said to himself that he could fix his accuracy. So, in fact, he is not lying. Now, if he would have said he values speed, strong arm,  and athletic abilities  and picked Stroud. Now, that would have been an outright lie as u can't fix that . Just like u can't fix stupid lol.

Everyone in the business knows that you can only slightly improve accuracy. 

Shane said what he said, and I said what I said. 

Anthony Richardson is a good kid with a lot of potential... I love the pick... 

What I don't love is the untruthfulness from Steichen.. Football players do not follow coaches who are not truthful. It is very concerning to me. Authenticity is everything in the locker room. Players will find out quick if a person is not authentic. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

What I don't love is the untruthfulness from Steichen.. Football players do not follow coaches who are not truthful. It is very concerning to me. Authenticity is everything in the locker room. Players will find out quick if a person is not authentic. 

I think in the past that was true. However, Allan and Hurts have kind of broken the mold. In the past these guys would not have succeeded but coaches r thinking outside the box. They are constructing offences to fit the players strengths and hiding their weaknesses. 

9 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

It's going to make for a more frustrating season, as far as press is concerned, but yes. I do like the "I'll tell you want I want, what I really, really want - and nothing else" attitude he's shown thus far.

Judging by how they treated the last person who did that, the local media won't like it at all.

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Trying to catch up. Is your issue that Steichen spoke to accuracy being his top trait and then wanted to draft a woefully inaccurate QB prospect?

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think in the past that was true. However, Allan and Hurts have kind of broken the mold. In the past these guys would not have succeeded but coaches r thinking outside the box. They are constructing offences to fit the players strengths and hiding their weaknesses. 

Hurts didn't break and mold. He was nearly 70% comp coming out of college. And he had started 3x as many college games.

By the time Steichen got to him, he far less of a project.

Also, AR's improvement in accuracy is beyond Allen.

That said, the pick is the pick. And I am excited to see what happens. I respect that they have the confidence in this selection. We are going to find out in a couple years how legit Steichen is. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is not about succeeding or failing...

None of know what Anthony Richardson will become. He could be a dude. He could be a dud....

None of this changes the fact that Steichen was not truthful. He lied. Period. It concerns me when people lie. Especially people in positions of power.

Me stating the obvious is not a popular thing to say. Especially in the honeymoon of a new coach and quarterback. Most fans want to be excited right now... I get that. But I am not going to lie to myself to receive the satisfaction. I am not going to overlook the blatantly obvious elephant staring at me...  

I am concerned about this teams future... And it has nothing to do with Anthony Richardson. It has everything to do with Steichen. He might be a brilliant football mind. That's not enough to lead men. You have to be authentic and truthful. I have never seen an untruthful coach have success. I have only been at this for 40 years, but what do I know? LOL

19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am the one who called Levis out for all those issues... You are using the words I said, before the draft. And had many on here call me a hater of him... 

Try again. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/will-levis-falls-in-nfl-draft-heres-a-reason-that-may-have-caused-qbs-stock-to-plummet-per-report/

34 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

None of know what Anthony Richardson will become. He could be a dude. He could be a dud....

None of this changes the fact that Steichen was not truthful. He lied. Period. It concerns me when people lie. Especially people in positions of power.

Me stating the obvious is not a popular thing to say. Especially in the honeymoon of a new coach and quarterback. Most fans want to be excited right now... I get that. But I am not going to lie to myself to receive the satisfaction. I am not going to overlook the blatantly obvious elephant staring at me...  

I am concerned about this teams future... And it has nothing to do with Anthony Richardson. It has everything to do with Steichen. He might be a brilliant football mind. That's not enough to lead men. You have to be authentic and truthful. I have never seen an untruthful coach have success. I have only been at this for 40 years, but what do I know? LOL

I have no clue what he lied about.

10 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

It's going to make for a more frustrating season, as far as press is concerned, but yes. I do like the "I'll tell you want I want, what I really, really want - and nothing else" attitude he's shown thus far.

Haha. Joneslty,  don't care what a coach says as media asks dumb questions anyways. I will judge him on wins and losses and nothing more.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Hurts didn't break and mold. He was nearly 70% comp coming out of college. And he had started 3x as many college games.

By the time Steichen got to him, he far less of a project.

Also, AR's improvement in accuracy is beyond Allen.

That said, the pick is the pick. And I am excited to see what happens. I respect that they have the confidence in this selection. We are going to find out in a couple years how legit Steichen is. 

His accuracy improved from his  1st year to his most recent. Plus, every qb that plays in that Oklahoma offence puts up star war stats coming out of college. 

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

His accuracy improved from his  1st year to his most recent. Plus, every qb that plays in that Oklahoma offence puts up star war stats coming out of college. 

I actually wanted Hurts when PHI was tricking IND into taking Wentz. So I hope AR is that guy.

But AR has 13-15 starts. By the time Hurts became the player he was this year, he had 60+ starts between NCAAF and the NFL…nearly 5 MORE years of experience.

Not saying every QB has to have that much experience, but Hurts had a lot more. We’re basically assuming/projecting AR to make the leap in less than half the time…all at the NFL level too. With a meh roster.

So Hurts really shouldn’t be used as a comp at this time. It’s not even fair to AR.

Bottom line. We are going to see how patient and open-minded this fanbase is. 

Try again. 

I CLEARLY said I could be wrong on the Levis take as far as your Steichen view. Like I said two things can be true at the same time and it doesn't make Shane a liar so take it with a grain of salt. If I would've known your position on Levis then I would not have put that narrative in as speculation because we both AGREE on Levis.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently, you and I were watching a completely different video.    

No crap from Steichen?

A different Ballard? 

Yup….  Different video.  

Holy cow…..    :peek:

You seriously protest to such an odd degree and so frequently on people's giving of opinions.  How do you get so surprised by subjective subject matter?

5 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

You seriously protest to such an odd degree and so frequently on people's giving of opinions.  How do you get so surprised by subjective subject matter?

My observation was made not because the poster and I see things a little bit different.   That’s normal.   My observation was made to note that what the poster saw and what I saw were the exact opposite.   That doesn’t happen every day.   So I pointed that out.  

I don't think AR should have been the choice and I think our QB search will continue after this.  But I don't get to interview these guys.  Also I have been wrong before (Allen for example) and will be again I am sure.  Hope I'm wrong with AR, will be rooting hard for him too.

Congrats to him, welcome to the Colts, and hopefully great days ahead.

7 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

This is a stretch. Two things can be true at the same time. Steichen said his MAIN quality in a qb that he looks for is accuracy BUT see something so unique and special in Richardson that he's willing to make an exception to his own rule. Does he feel that he can change some of that by working with AR's mechanics similar to what Buffalo did with Allen? I'm guessing so... If it was all about accuracy then the Colts would've moved up and took Stroud or Young.

Irsay and Ballard chose the rising oc in Steichen to become their hc so they might as well give him the guy that he WANTS as his qb period. If I say lasagna is my favorite food but see some spaghetti on the menu that looks DELICIOUS and choose that instead doesn't mean I lied about lasagna being my favorite. Plus you're talking about players being drafted. There's smokescreens and gamesmanship going on all the time to keep teams off balance by NOT showing your hand.

Its like telling your mother that u want a woman who is family oriented, cook and clean and  be basically a stay home mom. Then u r out one night and a super model walks up to u. She sits down and u chat. U have a couple of drinks and as she leaves u her  number on the table. Did u lie to your mom, or did something come along that  u thought never would? So u going to call the super model or go church hoping  you meet a nice girl?????? Just saying that things can change and sometimes u just need to take a chance lol

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Dear God.

You are seriously fixated on such a minor comment that was in no way a "lie".

As bluephantom stated, two things can be true.

Does Steichen highly value accuracy? Yes. Does Steichen also value a QB with infinite upside enough to take a risk on him, despite accuracy issues? YES!

I suggest you build a bridge and get over it.

Steichen is a no nonsense guy compared to Reich who only talked about the damn mountain we had to climb.

Steichen will not make all kinds of excuses like Reich did, as he already seems more of a leader and a coach that will and can ignite our players. 

To be honest, Reich never struck me as a guy that could rip a player apart if he didn't do his job. Steichen won't flinch and will immediately tell the player and put his foot down.

He´s just more of the coach we need compared to Reich.

And lastly, he´s just damn smart and very articulate.  

12 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Dear God.

You are seriously fixated on such a minor comment that was in no way a "lie".

As bluephantom stated, two things can be true.

Does Steichen highly value accuracy? Yes. Does Steichen also value a QB with infinite upside enough to take a risk on him, despite accuracy issues? YES!

I suggest you build a bridge and get over it.

Ohh he is not only an engineer, he is a Electrical one.

It's interesting that he can only see "the Lie". 

It took great blocking to make the Philly O work the way it did.

But Hurts job reading the D with a LB stuck spying is rather simple.

And the idea that a 20 year old with his experience level is forever stuck being inaccurate, how weird.

Archived