Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fast enough?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   AR is NOT a quick or simple fix.  It’s going to take time and patience.   And so far you’ve made repeated posts that show you literally don’t understand that.   You want results ASAP.    The kid needs experience.  He’s going to make mistakes.   Luck made tons of mistakes and he had tons of experience.  AR is going to be leading for a long time.  Doesn’t mean the Colts can’t win along the way.   But the fans need to be patient.  

How soon before some fan posts here…. “That’s it!   I’ve seen enough!   This kid will never be the great QB the Colts need!   I’m ready to move on!”.    This will happen sooner than you think.  

If we lose on opening day and AR plays, some in here will say he sucks already and say we should have took Levis. Silly but true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

This is one of the biggest fallacies out there when it comes to mobile QBs. At minimum, with his athleticism and a good scheme, he can be a serviceable starter even if he always struggles with accuracy. 

Who do you say fits that bill that's playing right now?

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have posted it a few times, but it makes sense as to why you haven't read it... It is buried in here...

A reporter asked Steichen what he values most in a quarterback. 

He answered that the quarterback must be accurate. 

Obviously he doesn't believe the quarterback has to be accurate. Anthony Richardson is one of the least accurate quarterbacks in this draft class... And I am not talking about completion rates.... I am talking about the ability to put a football in its intended place... 

This is not a knock on Anthony Richardson, because he has other traits off the charts. 

He also said the quarterback must be obsessed with football. I completely agree. I have never met or heard of a quarterback who wasn't obsessed becoming great. 

Steichen lied. I pointed it out, and a bunch of folks did not like it. They'll get over it. But the fact will remain that Steichen was not truthful about the situation. He did not have to lie. There was no reason to. It didn't help the Colts at all... I am just hoping it is not the beginning of a trend. 

Correct. 

Him drafting Richardson doesn’t make him a liar. He said last night when asked directly about that statement that he believes accuracy can be improved upon and he thinks that of the QBs available, AR had the highest probability of doing just that. 

further, AR seems obsessed with his trade if you believe what he’s saying. Which I do, as one positive thing that was said about him consistently throughout has been his work ethic. 

and if you really want to look at accuracy, the farther away from the LOS the throw is, the higher ARs accuracy goes up. Like I’ve said for months, he can throw it a mile and hit a dime but he can’t toss it 3 feet and hit a bus with the ball. If he can develop his short passing game, without loosing the long game, he just might be good. But that’s a big IF

regardless i don’t feel Shane lied in anyway. He took the most accurate QB with highest potential available to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im listening to the media and their backtracking on Levis by bringing up the same things I've been saying FOR MONTHS! 

Yeah you have I’ll give credit to you. I also have been saying his Wentz 2.0 for weeks. I didn’t think he’d drop out of the top 10, I thought for sure the Raiders would grab him at 7. Let alone dropping out of the top 31

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

And that's totally fine.   I helped you dig up an old take you had not long ago.   However you like to come across like you are never wrong.    You would be the first.   You like to be the "I told you so" guy without posting your misses.   

I am wrong sometimes. I point them out too. I did in this thread. I said I should not have called Steichen a liar, but instead should have just said he lied... 

I am right a lot too. Probably because I use critical thinking instead of someone else's thoughts and opinions. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I am wrong sometimes. I point them out too. I did in this thread. I said I should not have called Steichen a liar, but instead should have just said he lied... 

I am right a lot too. Probably because I use critical thinking instead of someone else's thoughts and opinions. 

A lot of people in here use critical thinking and don't go off other's opinions unless something is obvious.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we lose on opening day and AR plays, some in here will say he sucks already and say we should have took Levis. Silly but true.

I'll have to check but what team right now needs a qb that didn't take one in the first round ?

Levis could be a backup at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Not questioning you and it’s probably somewhere in this thread, but what did Steichen lie about?  Apologies if it’s been stated a number of times.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

You think NFL teams don't use critical thinking?   It's a multi billion dollar business.   They have psychological evaluations, they have nutriesienst, the have back ground checks, they talk to high school teachers, they know everything about their family medical history.   They spend hours interviewing them,  working them out.    Yet you think you know more by watching youtube.   Like wth?    I'm not singling you out,  because a lot do it.   And obviously GMs get it wrong A LOT.   But you would get it wrong A LOT more than they do

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Thanks. I do not mind it when people to disagree with me. I encourage that. Some really good discussions happen from people contributing honest thoughts to the conversation... It can occasionally get out of hand when people start making personal attacks... But I never worry about it. I have learned to not take the bait. Usually the moderators come in a clean it all up. 

Earlier in this thread I called Steichen a liar... It would have been more appropriate to just say he lied. He did lie, but that does not make him a liar. A liar is someone who repetitively lies... Although I think he blatantly and intentionally lied about the situation,  that is just my opinion. I hope it is a one time thing. If not then we will be blowing this entire team up in a couple of years... If Steichen has this very bad trait then the players will see it... You cannot hide these things in a locker room. It's like a melting pot in there. Either your true authenticity comes out, or they make one up for you... They never make one for you that's better. 

If not lie then certainly prevarication lol.  I'm pretty sure I lie every day.  Lying is good in many situations. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people in here use critical thinking and don't go off other's opinions unless something is obvious.

Obvious... That is where the groupthink starts... People think something is obvious when it is not. 

People thought is was obvious that Ballard was getting fired, after Reich was let go. 

It was actually obvious to me that Ballard was staying... And I created a thread stating so. 

The consensus of what was "obvious" was wrong. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Obvious... That is where the groupthink starts... People think something is obvious when it is not. 

People thought is was obvious that Ballard was getting fired, after Reich was let go. 

It was actually obvious to me that Ballard was staying... And I created a thread stating so. 

The consensus of what was "obvious" was wrong. 

I never thought Ballard was getting fired and I don't remember many saying that. There were some wanting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You think NFL teams don't use critical thinking?   It's a multi billion dollar business.   They have psychological evaluations, they have nutriesienst, the have back ground checks, they talk to high school teachers, they know everything about their family medical history.   They spend hours interviewing them,  working them out.    Yet you think you know more by watching youtube.   Like wth?    I'm not singling you out,  because a lot do it.   And obviously GMs get it wrong A LOT.   But you would get it wrong A LOT more than they do

I think you missed the point...

We are talking about the members on this board... Not NFL personnel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never thought Ballard was getting fired and I don't remember many saying that. There were some wanting it.

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. You were here... On this board... Right? LOL

Not sure if anyone posted this, and I apologize if they did, but this is a good article from Anthony Richardson's point of view.  Very insightful of where he is coming from.  https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/anthony-richardson-nfl-football-florida-gators  I think he is going to work is tail off and become a beast within the next few years (2-3).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

A couple of points about Allen.

Allen did improve his accuracy.  However he did have some advantages over other QB's.

1. For 3 straight years the Bills kept the same OC - Brian Daboll.  They did not change systems on him for 3 years as well.  They run an EP system.
  2. His numbers took a huge jump his 3rd year when the Bills added Stephon Diggs as a receiving weapon.
  3. Brian Daboll left last season to coach the Giants and Ken Dorsey an rookie OC took over.  Allens numbers did dip slightly because of that change but it wasn't a huge regression.

I feel one of the biggest reasons QB's fail is that the coaches are constantly being fired and they are constantly changing offensive systems.  However that should not be a problem in that SS is around for the long haul.

Colts will need to add a receiving weapon, AR's go to guy.  Is that guy on the roster currently in Pittman or Pierce ?

My own personal opinion is that Colts will have to improve the Oline as well.

But many of the pieces that made Allen successful with the Bills are here with the Colts to make AR successful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who said Ballard would obviously be fired? There were people that said he should be or wanted it but most didn't think it would happen. I knew it wouldn't.

This is just one of many threads back then... It was chaos... 

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Those guys (Lamar, Mahomes, Hurts) don't have accuracy issues.  They are also much more refined than AR.  We will see what experience and good coaching can do

Lamar Jackson did (averaged 57% in college, which is considered low). He has been over 63% in the NFL. He is a good example of someone whose accuracy improved in the NFL.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Allen did improve his accuracy.  However he did have some advantages over other QB's.

1. For 3 straight years the Bills kept the same OC - Brian Daboll.  They did not change systems on him for 3 years as well.  They run an EP system.
  2. His numbers took a huge jump his 3rd year when the Bills added Stephon Diggs as a receiving weapon.
  3. Brian Daboll left last season to coach the Giants and Ken Dorsey an rookie OC took over.  Allens numbers did dip slightly because of that change but it wasn't a huge regression.

I feel one of the biggest reasons QB's fail is that the coaches are constantly being fired and they are constantly changing offensive systems.  However that should not be a problem in that SS is around for the long haul.

Colts will need to add a receiving weapon, AR's go to guy.  Is that guy on the roster currently in Pittman or Pierce ?

But many of the pieces that made Allen successful with the Bills are here with the Colts to make AR successful.

Well said.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was just using the draft talk since that's all we've heard lately.  To sum up my point, I don't think even the national media have concerns over credibility.  You stated it well in your other post - national news is looking for ratings.  Same for national news outlets.

When I said no one cares, if you read my post - I think that's accurate.  Unless they find out that a reporter is just plain making up stories, no one really cares if their source was wrong.  The new cycle just moves on to the next topic.  Yes, people are passionate about their team.  But no one is demanding retractions on stories that turn out to be wrong because a reporter listened to the wrong source.

Not sure who I was blasting, but I watch a lot of different shows.  And listen to different podcasts.  I happen to like Bowen, Chappell, and a few others.  They seem to be more accurate and have informative insight.

No one is demanding retractions because no one SHOULD be demanding retractions or revealing sources.   Many media are simply expressing opinions and observations.   Few are making 100 percent stone cold lock predictions.   Nothing needs to be retracted.    

Locally….  I don’t like Doyel.   I think he’s a bad columnist and is looking to deliberately stir things up to attract eye balls.   I’m not a big fan of some of the radio guys….  Dakich (was he recently fired?).   I’m not a fan of media that will say nice things to Ballard’s face, and then rip him when he’s not on the air with him.   Being two-faced is a fast way to get known for being a bad guy.    Otherwise,  I think most local media does pretty well in what I think is a tough sports media market. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

This is just one of many threads back then... It was chaos... 

This proves you were right but I never thought it was obvious he would be fired either and many did not. Like I said some just wanted him out but most knew he wasn't going anywhere. Frank was the scapegoat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Excellent post!!! Having the HC also be a play caller is important for stability nowadays. Though Reich wasn't great at managing it all, the concept was still right, helps maintain a lot of continuity in the current days.

A guy like Tom Moore, in the Peyton days, wouldn't be as easily poached then but times are different. Stability and continuity of offensive systems do matter. Ask Alex Smith, ask even Andrew Luck when a veteran Arians was poached to become HC and the Colts cycling through Pep Hamilton and Rod Chudzinski.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This proves you were right but I never thought it was obvious he would be fired either and many did not. Like I said some just wanted him out but most knew he wasn't going anywhere. Frank was the scapegoat.

I think if you read that thread... It gets better... I would not call a lot of the responses in that thread as critical thinking. Sure, some folks saw what I did. There was a lot of heckling going on too. I am used to it on this board though. 

One poster even said that Jeff will want his own GM... And a lot of folks thought that way... It was bizarre. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Case in point.    When I was younger and had to pee.  I almost always miss the toilet and peed all over the place.   But as I have gotten more practice and older. I hardly ever pee on the floor or the wall or the toilet itself anymore.  I think my accuracy is up to almost 79% these days 

Well I followed the same pattern as you until I started peeing sideways about 5 or so years ago. 

13 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Not sure why I was quoted in this this... But I agree. :)

Good, solid post. 

• Like 1

Love the pick. As I said a few weeks ago if he busts at QB he could be a great TE.:yahoo:

18 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Not sure if anyone posted this, and I apologize if they did, but this is a good article from Anthony Richardson's point of view.  Very insightful of where he is coming from.  https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/anthony-richardson-nfl-football-florida-gators  I think he is going to work is tail off and become a beast within the next few years (2-3).

Thanks! Great read.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah you have I’ll give credit to you. I also have been saying his Wentz 2.0 for weeks. I didn’t think he’d drop out of the top 10, I thought for sure the Raiders would grab him at 7. Let alone dropping out of the top 31

He's got a good fastball and can locate it, but he really struggles with the change piece. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I never looked at it that way but I get it. Being a middling player is analogous to indifference (as in 'Indifference is worse than hate"). It is like having Kirk Cousins. We can't win with him but fans think he is too good to replace. :facepalm:

In most positions being avg is fine…you can’t afford and maybe don’t need great at every position but qb is just one of those positions that you likely need a star at or you better be great across the board to compensate. Leaves no room for error anywhere else on your roster if not. So I’d rather know right away if this guy is a bust then mess around in mediocrity when other positions mediocrity might be just fine.

• Like 2