Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

29 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

This is paraphrasing but very close…

Reporter: What are the most important traits in a quarterback?

Steichen: He has to love football. Has to be obsessed. And he must be very accurate. 

Yes sir.  But when he said that, could it be he believed Richardson's accuracy would improve with coaching and mechanics?  That would likely make him "very accurate."  Not sure I quite understand your beef about his choice of words.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I like you man but that is a bit too much, attacking the character of a coach. 

Did it ever occur to you that he may have changed his mind after seeing the pros and weighing it against AR's cons? It is very much possible. So changing one's mind and re-evaluating things is not the same as lying, it is just changing one's mind. He didn't have to provide the details of any re-evaluations once he changed his mind, he was in no way obligated to telegraph the Colts' eventual intentions.

It could have been just these last 2 weeks they could have changed their minds too, you know what I am saying. I think you should just let it go because your character assassination of Steichen will eventually lead to yours, as you can clearly see happening, fair or not. Just saying. 

I agree.   Accuracy could be the #1 trait he likes.   Athleticism is #2.  Size is #3.   In this case, number 2 and number 3 outweighed number 1.   

• Like 1

Just now, Smonroe said:

Did you look at Josh Allen's completion percentage from college?

Look, no one knows how he's going to do in the pros yet.  But you seem to be cherry picking items to put him down.

Whatever.  I'm rooting for him.

Yeah, everyone would love longevity and some of us even would have been fine with Hendon Hooker if it gave us 10 good years. Same with AR. Cam Newton never got his accuracy in the mid-60s consistently but he made a SB and Luck didn't. Both had their longevity issues. So, if AR turns out like Cam Newton and we get 10 good to great years out of him, that is all you can ask for in this Not For Long league.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Did Ballard say that? I think I missed it. BTW, this is another good sign for Richardson if he didn't leak anything. Usually when teams tell the player, everybody gets to know by the time they are picked... and with Richardson noone knew ... 

Yep... having a double treat QB opens up a ton of possibilities. It just changes the math of the defense completely. Pretty much the whole offense benefits - the RB play against LBs in conflict, the WRs get more one-on-ones, the QB gets more favorable situations in both the run and the pass...

Yeah, sorry for poking you and joking with you a bit about the possibility too :D 

I wonder if Levis goes ahead of Hooker? 

It was in AR's post game interview that Chloe posted    AR said that once the Colts were on the clock at 4 he started getting ready and was hopeful. (paraphrase)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

But they claim to be journalists and try to make people believe they know stuff and then they spew crap with no evidence and people buy it up.   

I agree with that to more than somewhat.  I think even the 'credible' media will put out stories and rumors based on one source who may not even have access to the subject.

You all heard what Ballard said about how they tried to tear down some players (I assume he was talking about Stroud).  

This is not just in sports media.  The so called news channels are all more interested in rating than presenting the news.  They all (Fox, CNN, major networks) pander to their audience.  

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Yes sir.  But when he said that, could it be he believed Richardson's accuracy would improve with coaching and mechanics?  That would likely make him "very accurate."  Not sure I quite understand your beef about his choice of words.

What if there was a QB with an 80% accuracy in the draft.   But he was 5'4" and 115 lbs.   Should he be the pick.  I guess so otherwise the coach is a "liar".  Ha ha.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

What if there was a QB with an 80% accuracy in the draft.   But he was 5'4" and 115 lbs.   Should he be the pick.  I guess so otherwise the coach is a "liar".  Ha ha.

We should have taken Jake Haener at 4. He's probably the most accurate QB in this draft. 

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm sorry, but why is that a lie?  I'm seriously asking.

If you asked him today, he'd probably say the same thing.

You can say they chose a QB that doesn't absolutely meet all his criteria.  But you can't say he's a liar because they didn't pick one who didn't.

That's a good point. This back and forth on this matter shows how different people hearing/reading the same quote may interpret or perceive it differently. I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt but I understand how Blue Shoe could see that in the way that he does.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I like you man but that is a bit too much, attacking the character of a coach. 

Did it ever occur to you that he may have changed his mind after seeing the pros and weighing it against AR's cons? It is very much possible. So changing one's mind and re-evaluating things is not the same as lying, it is just changing one's mind. He didn't have to provide the details of any re-evaluations once he changed his mind, he was in no way obligated to telegraph the Colts' eventual intentions.

It could have been just these last 2 weeks they could have changed their minds too, you know what I am saying, because the Top 30 and private visits happen well after the combine. I think you should just let it go because your character assassination of Steichen will eventually lead to yours, as you can clearly see happening, fair or not. Just saying. 

It is what it is, man. 

I call balls and strikes. Even when it is not the popular stance to take. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

That's a good point. This back and forth on this matter shows how different people hearing/reading the same quote may interpret or perceive it differently. I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt but I understand how Blue Shoe could see that in the way that he does.

I still think it was Shane just being a first time head coach and the comment was made months ago. People change their minds all the time. Just because his thinking is different doesn't make him a liar... Chris even said Shane called him and was blown away at RIchardson's tape. When was that interaction? Before the comment made, or after? We won't know.

Now if it becomes a common trend through the years, then we know there's a problem. But I'm not making this as a red flag at the moment. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm sorry, but why is that a lie?  I'm seriously asking.

If you asked him today, he'd probably say the same thing.

You can say they chose a QB that doesn't absolutely meet all his criteria.  But you can't say he's a liar because they didn't pick one who didn't.

He lied. 

That is not refutable. 

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He can somewhat improve his accuracy. But it’s a trait you’re either born with or not. 

Yea, I don't buy that.  If that was the case, I should go out and throw a football to see if i was born with accuracy.  If learning footwork and mechanics doesn't really do anything then I may be a killer passer and didn't even know it.

Just now, BlueShoe said:

He lied. 

That is not refutable. 

Is it? 

Last time I checked Ballard was the man in charge of making the decision. What if Shane still liked accuracy as a main trait but Chris overruled and got Anthony anyway? 

Does that make Shane a liar? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He lied. 

That is not refutable. 

Nor does it matter at all.  get over it

They can say they like accuracy and still take a very young player that they think can improve their accuracy.  The other choice was Levis who also needed to improve his % when he was ARs age too

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, everyone would love longevity and some of us even would have been fine with Hendon Hooker if it gave us 10 good years. Same with AR. Cam Newton never got his accuracy in the mid-60s consistently but he made a SB and Luck didn't. Both had their longevity issues. So, if AR turns out like Cam Newton and we get 10 good to great years out of him, that is all you can ask for in this Not For Long league.

10 high quality years is better than 20 middling years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts told Richardson they were going to take him if there.

This is great. He sounds humble and genuine. He does not sound scripted and he seems comfortable answering questions. I don't know much about him but I am rooting for him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He lied. 

That is not refutable. 

Again, I'm seriously asking why you say he lied?  You argument can't just be "he lied".

Are you saying he lied about what he values in a QB?  

If someone asked me to name my favorite car and I say Corvette.  Then I buy a Honda.  Am I a liar?  

Seriously dude, you have to give up that argument.  Or at least clearly define it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Did you look at Josh Allen's completion percentage from college?

Look, no one knows how he's going to do in the pros yet.  But you seem to be cherry picking items to put him down.

Whatever.  I'm rooting for him.

I have deeply studied Josh Allen... Since he was at Wyoming. Know his history very well... 

Josh Allen's issues with accuracy was multifold. For one, the offense he ran in college does not produce high completion rates. 

This is not about Anthony Richardson. I have no issues with the Colts choosing him. I love the possibilities.

That does not erase that Steichen was not truthful. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Again, I'm seriously asking why you say he lied?  You argument can't just be "he lied".

Are you saying he lied about what he values in a QB?  

If someone asked me to name my favorite car and I say Corvette.  Then I buy a Honda.  Am I a liar?  

Seriously dude, you have to give up that argument.  Or at least clearly define it.

I think we are digressing from the main theme of this thread by giving too much attention to his comment. It is best everyone speaks their disagreement and moves on, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. Waiting for "the right pitch" will only get you so far. 

This is our Adam Dunn moment. We either hit a homerun or strike out spectacularly. 

This is one of the biggest fallacies out there when it comes to mobile QBs. At minimum, with his athleticism and a good scheme, he can be a serviceable starter even if he always struggles with accuracy. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He lied. 

That is not refutable. 

I disagree.   I can say I like steak better than a hamburger.   But then I am given the opportunity to choose a plain round steak or a nice big bacon/cheddar burger with lettuce tomato and onion.   I would choose the burger.   

Now I'm hungry. 

I do want to emphasize patience with AR. I think the best thing for the Colts to do for AR is to gimmick the game for him. Use him in certain packages especially in the red zone where defenses can't come screaming in and instead need to make a decision when AR and JT are in RPO plays.

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Is it? 

Last time I checked Ballard was the man in charge of making the decision. What if Shane still liked accuracy as a main trait but Chris overruled and got Anthony anyway? 

Shane signed off on this too...

If he had any doubts then the Colts would not have drafted him. Obviously that was not the case. 

Just now, NorthernColt said:

This is one of the biggest fallacies out there when it comes to mobile QBs. At minimum, with his athleticism and a good scheme, he can be a serviceable starter even if he always struggles with accuracy. 

I'm not talking about mobile QBs my friend. More often than not QBs just don't live up to expectations in the NFL. It's hard. 

My point is that even if things don't work out, we'll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Is it? 

Or we just got the best of what was available.   

Accuracy is the most important trait.

All other traits combined could be more important than accuracy alone.

Both statements could be true.

I would bet it would be much harder to make someone more athletic than it would be to make them more accurate.  Levis would never become as good as AR as a dual threat.  However, AR could become as good as Levis as a passer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I think we are digressing from the main theme of this thread by giving too much attention to his comment. It is best everyone speaks their disagreement and moves on, IMO. 

You are correct.  I tried to ask him several times why he thinks SS lied, but apparently he's convicted in his belief.

BTW, 'm purposely using the word "convicted" incorrectly.  I had to laugh every time Ballard said it when he meant he had conviction.  

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

I would bet it would be much harder to make someone more athletic than it would be to make them more accurate.  Levis would never become as good as AR as a dual threat.  However, AR could become as good as Levis as a passer.

Well said.

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

True. For all we know maybe Stroud was the guy until he wasn't available. We'll never know the full context unless some massive leak happens. 

All we can do is take Ballard at his word, which is they were high on Richardson for most of the time. 

• Like 1

God I'm so excited for the future of the Colts now. AR is smart and hard working, and with his age he has everything it'll take to develop as a passer more and more along with being in a system that will take advantage of his abilities.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This is great. He sounds humble and genuine. He does not sound scripted and he seems comfortable answering questions. I don't know much about him but I am rooting for him.

Yeah, the best way I've found to describe him is "personable". Some QBs seem very scripted and over-rehearsed.. and while no doubt he's had some media training, Richardson still lets his personality shine through and still tries to give real answers to most of the questions, rather than prepared PR spin. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Yea, I don't buy that.  If that was the case, I should go out and throw a football to see if i was born with accuracy.  If learning footwork and mechanics doesn't really do anything then I may be a killer passer and didn't even know it.

Some people are born 6'4" and some are born 5'11"... Some are born able to run fast while others are not. 

Just like some people are born with the hand-eye coordination... And the many other factors in the algorithm of being able to accurately throw a football. 

I really like this pick for the Colts after listening to Richardson. He reminds me a bit of Bryce Young in demeanor --  seems confident but humble, and in control of his emotions. He is young and seems eager to learn and win.

Young head coach and young QB should make fans optimistic. I am looking forward to seeing how they both succeed.

38 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

When someone doesn’t agree with you or the group consensus, it does not make them a troll. 

If that’s what you think then no sense in responding to anything else you have to say. 

Problem is, nobody is agreeing with you and you are making a deal out of nothing. Funniest thing I have seen all morning. Oh well, have a nice day.

So it's been while, I took a break from the forums for various reasons, but this pick is going to suck me right back in. Technically still on a break of sorts, I'm writing this from the sunny shores of Napoli and watched the draft at 4 Italian time!

Finally a fresh set of tyres to root for, and they might be super soft sports ones at that.

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Hi Chloe

Are you happy with pick

Although I see some things haven't changed!

• Like 2

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

So it's been while, I took a break from the forums for various reasons, but this pick is going to suck me right back in. Finally a fresh set of tyres to root for, and they might be super soft sports ones at that.

Although I see some things haven't changed!

Glad to see you again! It indeed has been a hot minute!

• Like 2

NFl coaches lie to people.  Its not their job to be some pure hearted saint who is 100% honest to everyone all the time and this is even more true when it comes to the media.

Imagine being overly worked up over a comment about accuracy given to a reporter.  

If they were 100% honest all the time it would give away team secrets and they would also be a huge jerk to players with no real shot to make the team