Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

It is not about completion percentage... Some offenses are designed to have higher completion percentages than others. 

It is about putting the ball in its intended place. Accuracy... You know the trait that Steichen says a quarterback must possess. Anthony Richardson does not have that. Now he has God like ability in other areas, for sure... But he is not a naturally accurate passer. Things can be done to slightly improve his accuracy. But accuracy is  a trait someone is born with... Just like height and speed. 

Since you're interested in the truth, here are facts.  (I'm not saying AR is Josh Allen, I'm just providing data.  So don't say I'm a liar, lol!)

Josh Allen

2 years in college - 56%

Pros comp percentage by year:

Apparently they managed to improve his accuracy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Medias job is to get people to watch, listen, or click now.  Being accurate isn’t very important.

Gee…..

I’m torn between two reactions…..

On the one hand….     :facepalm:

But on the other hand….    :spit:

Once again….  That’s your opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I still say the Eagles won the night last night. 

I can't believe they managed to pull off what they did. They now might finally have a fully fledged defense capable of opposing the high octane AFC teams. 

Philly is the team to beat in the NFC but there are some big boy teams in the AFC = Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Ravens, and who knows we may even be good now. Back in the day, Buffalo could win the AFC a lot during the 90's but all the great teams were in the NFC like the Giants, Skins, and Cowboys, 49ers etc..

Last season we lost to Philly by 1 point and was 1 stop away from winning that game. We had an off year and almost beat them with Hurts playing out of his mind. They did good in round 1 last night to your point, defense should be solid again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

That is just too dug into a bad take to change their tone now

That is why I don't understand why you guys think you can change his mind. He is set in his ways, you disagree and move on.  :) 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gee…..

If you changed his wording from "job" to "priority", wouldn't you say he's spot on?

• Thanks 1

Just now, BlackTiger said:

No it isnt.  You can work on foot and arm mechanics to improve it.  QBs talk about this all the time.  A lot of draft picks come into the league with bad footwork and raise their accuracy as they get professional coaching 

As I have pointed out many times... Improving mechanics can slightly improve accuracy... However, hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so on is something you're born with. Just like height, speed, and so on... 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gee…..

I kind of agree with the Nickster here.   There are no Walter Cronkites left.    Now it's a scramble to be the first to report it and not actually vet the story until it has been broken.  Clicks and page views lead the way.   Print media is nearly dead.  No one can wait until tomorrow morning to read the story.   It's a different time than my youth

• Thanks 2

Medias job is to get people to watch, listen, or click now.  Being accurate isn’t very important.

I have a different take. It’s the media consumer that’s failing.  They give us what we want.  If it didn’t sell they’d do,it differently.

I agree. Not trying to be dramatic or anything, but there's a difference between media and journalism, and a lot of people don't properly acknowledge that difference.

And despite most of the media being about engagement, there is real journalism out there. It's a little hard to find, sometimes behind a paywall, and often dry and boring, but it exists and is accessible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gee…..

I thought you weren't going to respond to my posts anymore.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

29 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Thanks for making my point....

So a person is born with the ability to be 6'4" and strong, IF they follow the right diet. If they eat crap then bones might develop correctly and so on.... But mostly the height is something that can be only slightly improved with a proper diet. 

The ability to accurately deliver a football is the same thing. It is hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so many things. Some things are taught.. Like footwork. You cannot teach depth perception. 

You said someone was either born with accuracy or not.  I said that was bull ****.  Yes, having good hand-eye coordination and depth perception is needed but NO ONE HAS INDICATED THAT AR HAS PROBLEMS WITH HAND-EYE COORDINATION NOR DEPTH PERCEPTION.  For your original post to be accurate, then it would mean that it would be impossible for AR to improve his accuracy.  And again, that is still bull ****. 

Quit moving the goal posts.

No one was arguing physical traits.  That was an argument you were having with yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

As I have pointed out many times... Improving mechanics can slightly improve accuracy... However, hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so on is something you're born with. Just like height, speed, and so on... 

QB coaches around the country would wildly disagree.    It's one of the biggest reasons they have jobs

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

AR is on record saying his footwork needs improvement.  He did make some really bad looking throws in college.  Some were layups.

But he also made some Stroud like throws, showing he has all of those physical features.  

He also seems to process very quickly.  He was forced out of the pocket so many times, and created plays, running as a final resort.  

I'm psyched.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gee…..

Back in your day, daytime TV was filled with soap operas, All My Children, General Hospital, etc.  and Game Shows.  Now they are filled with "news" shows.  But the daytime TV watcher still wants their drama.  Its as if the media and sports media create a reality TV based drama series using real people as their stars.

I see soap operas and game shows being replaced by news shows and talk shows, but the bent towards the dramatic is still the theme, just executed differently .  Stuff that's blatantly made up still gets air time because of the soap opera factor.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I kind of agree with the Nickster here.   There are no Walter Cronkites left.    Now it's a scramble to be the first to report it and not actually vet the story until it has been broken.  Clicks and page views lead the way.   Print media is nearly dead.  No one can wait until tomorrow morning to read the story.   It's a different time than my youth

I am torn on how I feel about the media because some people are good/fair reporters but others are bad, like to lie and stir crap up. The bad one's ruin it for the good one's.

• Thanks 1

I guess I see things differently, but I often found Richardson to have decent ball placement. Usually his foot placement was off, and of course his velocity was pretty high. 

If Richardson had completely abysmal ball placement (accuracy) he wouldn't have been taken in the 1st round. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. Not trying to be dramatic or anything, but there's a difference between media and journalism, and a lot of people don't properly acknowledge that difference.

And despite most of the media being about engagement, there is real journalism out there. It's a little hard to find, sometimes behind a paywall, and often dry and boring, but it exists and is accessible.

Yeah, journalism is all but dead at least in its traditional "just the facts ma'am" state.   Academic writing is journalistesque, but even then there is a lot of bias in academic work in many fields too. 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Since you're interested in the truth, here are facts.  (I'm not saying AR is Josh Allen, I'm just providing data.  So don't say I'm a liar, lol!)

Josh Allen

2 years in college - 56%

Pros comp percentage by year:

Apparently they managed to improve his accuracy.

Do you know why Josh Allen's completion percentage was low in college? There are a couple of reasons. I am not doing the work for you so go look it up. Hint: it is why he was the most polarizing quarterback of his draft class... That should give you enough to do a Google search with. You might even find some prospect profiles I worked on at the time. 

The Bills have built an offense that suits Josh Allen... This has helped. 

All that said, accuracy and completion percentage are not the same thing... And often trying to compare the two are apples and oranges. What kind of offense are you running? Spread, Air Raid, West Coast, Air Coryell, Erhardt-Perkins, Smashmouth.... This is will dictate an expected completion rate. 

I am about the truth. This is not an attack on Anthony Richardson. What he lacks in accuracy he makes up for in other areas. He is a unique player. 

This is about Steichen not being honest. He didn't even have to lie. Why? It helped him none at all. Anthony Richardson does not concern me; Steichen does. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am torn on how I feel about the media because some people are good/fair reporters but others are bad, like to lie and stir crap up. The bad one's ruin it for the good one's.

I'm not even talking about reporters that lie.   I'm talking about running with a story with little or no vetting to make sure it's true

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Back in your day, daytime TV was filled with soap operas, All My Children, General Hospital, etc.  and Game Shows.  Now they are filled with "news" shows.  But the daytime TV watcher still wants their drama.  Its as if the media and sports media create a reality TV based drama series using real people as their stars.

I see soap operas and game shows being replaced by news shows and talk shows, but the bent towards the dramatic is till the theme, just executed differently .

That's an interesting way to put it.   Sports programming is following the same pattern too.  

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

You said someone was either born with accuracy or not.  I said that was bull crap.  Yes, having good hand-eye coordination and depth perception is needed but NO ONE HAS INDICATED THAT AR HAS PROBLEMS WITH HAND-EYE COORDINATION NOR DEPTH PERCEPTION.  For your original post to be accurate, then it would mean that it would impossible for AR to improve his accuracy.  Quit moving the goal posts.

No one was arguing physical traits.  That was an argument you were having with yourself.

I have not moved the goal post an inch. 

I am saying the same thing. Talking to many folks, but saying the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

QB coaches around the country would wildly disagree.    It's one of the biggest reasons they have jobs

Wrong. They actually 100% agree with me. 

What I am saying is not popular... People won't like it. But it is an honest take on the situation. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is right.

I hate reading these all or nothing comments where everyone is all bad. I think those are lazy comments that do not involve a lot of thought.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I see soap operas and game shows being replaced by news shows and talk shows, but the bent towards the dramatic is till the theme, just executed differently .

I personally found Jerry Springer entertaining and funny but I knew it was fake. RIP Jerry.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW.... just how stupid are the Texans? They gave up their own 2024 pick in that trade up to no. 3! + a 2nd+3d!!! I have no idea why some people think this is a good move. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only thing that bothers me is they ended up with Anderson, that guy has all the makings of an all-pro.

Anderson is gonna be good I think but man, that was a TON to trade up for. Makes me really wonder if TN knew they were bidding against the Texans who obviously weren’t taking a QB at 3, or if they thought they were bidding against just us for 3. Either way, the Texans did us a huge favor in this trade. Sure they got Anderson who will be their DT version of JJ Watt, but they also gave up a BUNCH to do it. They also picked the QB of the bunch that has the highest odds to bust of those taken in round 1.  They bet their future on a kid who I think has already reached his ceiling. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

What I am saying is not popular... People won't like it. But it is an honest take on the situation. 

Please show your work.    You are the one making the claim. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

That is right.

I hate reading these all or nothing comments where everyone is all bad. I think those are lazy comments that do not involve a lot of thought.

Yep, that goes for everything in life. You have your good people and rotten eggs lmao , unfortunately that is the way it is at work places, and in every day life.

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The Bills have built an offense that suits Josh Allen... This has helped.

We can and should do that for Richardson.  Hes not a traditional pocket passer so it makes sense to run a scheme meant for him.  The scheme will probably change over time as he gets better at passing too

You keep trying to sell the fact that one is born or not born with accuracy and thats just wrong tbh.  Its about body mechanics and also the mental side of the game which can both be improved, by more than just a little bit

• Like 1

Just now, BlueShoe said:

I have not moved the goal post an inch. 

I am saying the same thing. Talking to many folks, but saying the same thing. 

Sure, whatever you say.

At least you have admitted that technique can improve accuracy instead of just pretending accuracy is just what you're born with and nothing else like your original post on the matter.

Just now, csmopar said:

Anderson is gonna be good I think but man, that was a TON to trade up for. Makes me really wonder if TN knew they were bidding against the Texans who obviously weren’t taking a QB at 3, or if they thought they were bidding against just us for 3. Either way, the Texans did us a huge favor in this trade. Sure they got Anderson who will be their DT version of JJ Watt, but they also gave up a BUNCH to do it. They also picked the QB of the bunch that has the highest odds to bust of those taken in round 1.  They bet their future on a kid who I think has already reached his ceiling. 

Yeah, in essence the Texans paid a QB price for that trade up to select a non-QB, because they were supposedly outbidding another team that actually wanted a QB. It's really hard to make the value of that trade good for the Texans. Just non-QBs... even some of the best of them, don't have that value. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You need to learn the difference between opinion and facts.  Thanks for your opinion.  It is hardly facts.

• Thanks 2

How good is this coaching staff at building? That's what matters.

Good pick. He has obvious lows but his pocket manipulation and field awareness are what drew Richardson to my attention. Had him behind Young but I think his ceiling is much higher for obvious reasons. How they build this out is all that matters. Fans need to be patient for a year minimum i.e. expect NOTHING. Thru the highs and lows, stay patient. Heck, stay patient into his 2nd year. Not everyone kicks off like Luck did....almost no one does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

AR is on record saying his footwork needs improvement.  He did make some really bad looking throws in college.  Some were layups.

But he also made some Stroud like throws, showing he has all of those physical features.  

He also seems to process very quickly.  He was forced out of the pocket so many times, and created plays, running as a final resort.  

I'm psyched.

Anthony Richardson is a unique quarterback who could become very successful in the NFL... He could be a dude... He could be a dud... The ceiling is the limit...

I have said that over and over... Before and after we selected him...

Steichen was asked what he valued in a quarterback... He answered that he must be very accurate. Saying that and then taking Richardson is not being truthful... He lied. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Please show your work.    You are the one making the claim. 

You first. 

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If you changed his wording from "job" to "priority", wouldn't you say he's spot on?

If you look at my post, I talked about media as a group, and not just sports.   I referenced politics, other news and even entertainment.  

My post was 100 percent NOT about the draft and click bait which I acknowledge.  
So, no, I wouldn’t say the media’s priority is for entertainment and click bait.  

SOCIAL MEDIA, mostly yes.  I’d agree.  But NOT traditional media.   Because if you don’t have credibility you’ve got nothing. 

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that my favorite team is the Colts.  I value them above every other franchise in sports.

But I'm going to a Tampa Bay game this season.

(Just wanted to confess to being a liar.  Is there a program for people like me?)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

You need to learn the difference between opinion and facts.  Thanks for your opinion.  It is hardly facts.

The fact that every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoke to says the same thing about accuracy.... Plus it's my opinion too. 

It is a fact that the opinion of every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoken to have the same take on a quarterbacks accuracy.