Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Conversation with Ballard didn't even last long haha

It shows they had talks about moving up and probably had talked about some sort of compensation before the draft. Ballard is the first one he wanted to call. The interesting thing is... Tennessee didn't feature AT ALL. 

BTW, here's the full episode if someone wants to watch... some great access in that top of the draft trades timeline:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

It shows they had talks about moving up and probably had talked about some sort of compensation before the draft. Ballard is the first one he wanted to call. The interesting thing is... Tennessee didn't feature AT ALL. 

BTW, here's the full episode if someone wants to watch... some great access in that top of the draft trades timeline:

Just watched the first 7 minutes or so.

Nice inside look.

Wonder what Ballard offered? If that was Ballard on that call, pretty sure it was.

Sounds like an "offer" was made though.

Glad we held firm.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Just watched the first 7 minutes or so.

Nice inside look.

Wonder what Ballard offered? If that was Ballard on that call, pretty sure it was.

Sounds like an "offer" was made though.

Glad we held firm.

If I had to guess, a third this year and fourth next year. It's a lowball offer compared to Houston, but dropping one spot compared to 9

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If I had to guess, a third this year and fourth next year. It's a lowball offer compared to Houston, but dropping one spot compared to 9

Yeah, I don't see any way Ballard wins that bidding war. He was never going to offer enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Monti was working... Entire room was quiet, no one talking but him and whoever he needed info from. That's kind of a thrilling scene to watch. I would absolutely love to sit in the room during the draft and just observe.

It's like real life version of Draft Day :D Only Monti's piece of paper said "Paris Johnson no matter what" :P 

He showed great command of all his available resources and of the room. Great watch. 

Just now, stitches said:

BTW, remember how every year Ballard used to gather the media and give them a film review of the new draft picks. Seems like this won't happen this year. Too bad. 

I feel like they replaced that with the scouts interviews right after the draft.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I feel like they replaced that with the scouts interviews right after the draft.

I think they had scouts interviews in previous years too... 

BTW... what I really want to see is something similar but for the fans directly rather than the media... Let the coaches break down some plays that exeplify what they loved in these prospects and how they see using them on our team. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I don't see any way Ballard wins that bidding war. He was never going to offer enough. 

No doubt, especially with being presented the opportunity to potentially have 2 top 5 picks next year.(potentially better).

Could of always flipped #4 for more assets though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think they had scouts interviews in previous years too... 

I just checked and you're right. They did the scouts pressers last year, and Ballard did a film review a couple weeks later. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen this year. Blame Steichen... /s

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just checked and you're right. They did the scouts pressers last year, and Ballard did a film review a couple weeks later. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen this year. Blame Steichen... /s

I think Ballard has decided to strike back. This was the first year he got any significant heat from local media about the job he's doing and he probably doesn't feel like giving them any more attention than he's required to. 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Ballard has decided to strike back. This was the first year he got any significant heat from local media about the job he's doing and he probably doesn't feel like giving them any more attention than he's required to. 

Maybe. I personally think Ballard is media inclusive because he thinks it's good for the fans and the organization, not because he enjoys it. Not to say that he doesn't like it, just that I don't think that's been his motivation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, stitches said:

Here's another article from a former NFL HC about Richardson and areas for improvement:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/4-ways-indianapolis-colts-qb-anthony-richardson-can-improve/

Good video accompanying the article in there... 

I think Number 4 is the one that will be hard for AR for his first few years.   Making better and faster decisions and learning that skill at the NFL level is as hard as it gets.   It’s not something AR will learn in a few weeks or even months.   This will likely take years.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know if I like him playing pick up basketball. Don’t need him injure outside of football.

I definitely don't like it. Maybe that's a sticking point in the contract... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Sounds like we should expect Minshew to start the season for us.   No reason to rush Richardson into the spotlight if he isn't ready.   

If he has a basic understanding of the playbook and isn’t overwhelmed he should start.   Now there might be struggles but that is different then being overwhelmed. I think we will we will have a good idea who will start a couple weeks into camp. Minshew has to separate himself from Richardson and show his experience will help them win. If Minshew can’t do that Richardson should start. Minshew did not separate himself in OTA or mini camp.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he has a basic understanding of the playbook and isn’t overwhelmed he should start.   Now there might be struggles but that is different then being overwhelmed. I think we will we will have a good idea who will start a couple weeks into camp. Minshew has to separate himself from Richardson and show his experience will help them win. If Minshew can’t do that Richardson should start. Minshew did not separate himself in OTA or mini camp.

Minshew has a lot less pressure to succeed.  If we throw Richardson out there and he craps the bed so to speak, then he's going to have to deal with how to tune out unwanted attention while he works on improving.  Pretty much dialing pressure to 10 when it's already pretty high given where he was picked in the draft.  

Hopefully Richardson is good enough start but worst case scenario is he isn't ready but starts anyway.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I like Colin Cowherd.   But his arguments are ridiculous, almost juvenile.   He wants the colts to play AR right away but he’s actually making arguments to bring AR along slowly without even knowing it.  

His view is popular,  I just don’t think it’s smart.  

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Colin Cowherd.   But his arguments are ridiculous, almost juvenile.   He wants the colts to play AR right away but he’s actually making arguments to bring AR along slowly without even knowing it.  

His view is popular,  I just don’t think it’s smart.  

I don't think SS and CB put much stock into what cowherd has to say.   They will bring AR along and play him when he is ready.   I could see Minshew starting with and having AR  come in, in certain situations.   Richardson athleticism will allow him to make plays.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been qbs that were more pro ready than him who didnt start right away.  I'll trust the coaches to say when he should sit and when hes ready to start

I think people are just bored and watching him would make it more it more interesting for fans coming off a pretty boring year last year.  that wouldnt be for his own good though, he'll start when hes ready 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think SS and CB put much stock into what cowherd has to say.   They will bring AR along and play him when he is ready.   I could see Minshew starting with and having AR  come in, in certain situations.   Richardson athleticism will allow him to make plays.   

From your lips to God’s ears!   Hope you’re right.    

We’re getting close.  Looking forward to August and getting a much more candid look at AR.    Right now, it feels like he’s been hidden in the Witness Protection Program.   

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, stitches said:

So if u r right what does that tell u about the make up of the man??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I hate to say it but I think AR will be a bust. Hope I’m wrong but I think we will end up with Minshew as our starting QB and probably be drafting high again.

Why do you think that? A lot of QB’s success comes from coaching and their surroundings. You cannot argue that the other highly drafted QBs from this last draft are in better surroundings. 

36 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I hate to say it but I think AR will be a bust. Hope I’m wrong but I think we will end up with Minshew as our starting QB and probably be drafting high again.

The odds may be in your favor as far as being right but could you explain why you think that?

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

He barely played in college and His accuracy wasn’t good. Almost seems like a desperation/gamble pick by the Colts. I am encouraged that he has Steichen to coach him up though.

I wouldn't call it a desperation pick. Every draft is a crap shoot and some QB's end up great and others bust. We needed a QB and I am glad we chose him over Levis. Had we took Levis, I would've went crazy GIF. I would've been pee'd off because I think Levis will be a huge bust. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

He barely played in college and His accuracy wasn’t good. Almost seems like a desperation/gamble pick by the Colts. I am encouraged that he has Steichen to coach him up though.

I can understand that. I think your concern is justified.

I was not a fan of any of these QBs that were in this draft. Not one of them. that said, I think of the bunch, AR has the right mind set compared to his peers in this class. 

But, I think too, he has a drive that I just don’t see in the others. So IF anyone of this class can become a franchise QB, I think AR has those odds above the others.

Young and Stroud both seem to be cocky although not near as bad as Levis. Time will tell

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't call it a desperation pick. Every draft is a crap shoot and some QB's end up great and others bust. We needed a QB and I am glad we chose him over Levis. Had we took Levis, I would've went crazy GIF. I would've been pee'd off because I think Levis will be a huge bust. 

Same

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I can understand that. I think your concern is justified.

I was not a fan of any of these QBs that were in this draft. Not one of them. that said, I think of the bunch, AR has the right mind set compared to his peers in this class. 

But, I think too, he has a drive that I just don’t see in the others. So IF anyone of this class can become a franchise QB, I think AR has those odds above the others.

Young and Stroud both seem to be cocky although not near as bad as Levis. Time will tell

Same

I don't get how u see  Young and/or Stroud as being cocky. Now Levis thats another story.