Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think Ballard ever said he was going to stay at 4. What I remember him saying is that he didn't think you always had to trade up to 1 to get your QB.

To me, that actually signaled a possible trade up to 3, but we'll see.

Yeah, we'll see. if there's a preference between the two remaining QBs, then we may trade up one pick to get our guy. 

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy we didn't make that kind of trade! That is a lot of capitol for a QB that has obvious warts - because all of them do this year! Not that they can't be groomed into franchise QB's but that takes the pressure off of nailing the number one pick.........now this will force Steichen and the FO staff to tailor an offense for all of Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson and Hooker.............then draft the one that is available at 4 that they want or top of the 2nd in Hooker if they want him instead!

28 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that the Panthers traded the below to Chicago to acquire the first-round pick:

Pick No. 9 of the 2023 Draft

Pick No. 61 of the 2023 Draft

a first-round draft pick in 2024

a second-round pick in 2025

And WR DJ Moore

So much for multiple 1st rounders after this year, Ryan Poles’ bluff was called out by most teams.

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy we didn't make that kind of trade! That is a lot of capitol for a QB that has obvious warts - because all of them do this year! Not that they can't be groomed into franchise QB's but that takes the pressure off of nailing the number one pick.........now this will force Steichen and the FO staff to tailor an offense for all of Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson and Hooker.............then draft the one that is available at 4 that they want or top of the 2nd in Hooker if they want him instead!

Yeah I agree. I hope we go Anderson at 4 (if available) now, and Hooker at 35 (or in a mini trade up). That option I was discussing yesterday is now a possibility.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Problem is, if Young or Stroud, or Young AND Stroud end up being playoff QBs, nobody will remember what the "draft capital" --- which by the way is players that may never make the league --- was.

Typical Colts snd TYPICAL Ballard. He never made moves before to move up and snag one of the franchise qbs that now dominate the afc. Not surprising at all!!!! The conservative do it MY smug way gm that has ACCOMPLISHED absolutely nothing!!!!!! Now we're stuck with Wentz 2.0 in the form of Will Levis who really was no better than Eason in college.... :facepalm:

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

Typical Colts snd TYPICAL Ballard. He never made moves before to move up and snag one of the franchise qbs that now dominate the afc. Not surprising at all!!!! The conservative do it MY smug way gm that has ACCOMPLISHED absolutely nothing!!!!!! Now we're stuck with Wentz 2.0 in the form of Will Levis who really was no better than Eason in college.... :facepalm:

Dear God… Levis is much more polished than freaking Eason! Levis has had no reported problems in studying and working hard. In fact, he’s as opposite to Eason as all get.

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard is ok with this — now he doesn’t have to make a tough decision. It’s made for him. Paralysis by analysis while aggressive teams take a shot. 

10 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Yeah, I know this will probably be moved to the Carolina trades for first pick topic,

but dangit. Booo. I was hoping that we'd move up. that Ballard would take the big swing

oh well, he's the pro and I'm just a fan. Hope one of the four can be the real deal for us...

Why did we think Ballard was going to change his spots?  

The only reason he would have is if Jim specifically told him to get the #1. 

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard is ok with this — now he doesn’t have to make a tough decision. It’s made for him. Paralysis by analysis while aggressive teams take a shot. 

Couldn't be a more accurate statement honestly. Generally, Ballard is risk-averse, and it holds true here.

Glad wasnt us making this dumb move,stay at 4,at worst get the qb not chosen,best get choice between 2. I think Carolina in love with Stroud,Houston going Young. Always wanted Levis hasnt changed at all last week with ball zipping off the rocket arm and thought his interview was genuine. Richardson much more a project BUT can sign a stop gap and have him ready 2nd half of 2023. Dont give away draft capital.

34 minutes ago, Gigc said:

wow. doesn't even feel like they gave up that much. 

the 9, a third, a first next year and a second the year after that?

The 61st pick is a 2nd.   A late 2nd, but still a 2nd.    So the Panthers gave up two 1’s, two 2’s and a top WR.   

That’s not a lot?    Really?   

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Rick And Morty GIF by Adult Swim

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The 61st pick is a 2nd.   A late 2nd, but still a 2nd.    So the Panthers gave up two 1’s, two 2’s and a top WR.   

That’s not a lot?    Really?   

yesterday the reports were that it would be three firsts. this year, 2023 and 2024. that second IS a late second. our second this year essentially a 1... just saying. 

I'm bitter at the moment because I wanted us to carpe diem. I'll be better in a couple hours :)

6 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard MADE the tough decision.   He decided NOT to meet whatever Chicago’s asking price was.   Ultimately,  the decision could cost him his job.   I doubt it was easy.  

Just now, Gigc said:

yesterday the reports were that it would be three firsts. this year, 2023 and 2024. that second IS a late second. our second this year essentially a 1... just saying. 

I'm bitter at the moment because I wanted us to carpe diem. I'll be better in a couple hours :)

They dropped the third first for Moore

Just now, RollerColt said:

Dear God… Levis is much more polished than freaking Eason! Levis has had no reported problems in studying and working hard. In fact, he’s as opposite to Eason as all get.

I was only comparing the big arm. Go back and compare Levis BEST season vs Eason's best. Now tell me HOW was he much more polished?! Ballard and his scouts saw something in Eason right? Just like Eason had no problems with erractic play or turnovers either! I'm glad YOU see polished after WATCHING his games or did you because I didn't see POLISHED at all but hey to each his own. 

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Why did we think Ballard was going to change his spots?  

The only reason he would have is if Jim specifically told him to get the #1. 

I guess the only other reason could be that Ballard and crew think that all 4 QBs are relatively equal.

or that they want to punt back and go after Hendon Hooker...

Not mentioned here so far is once again the Bears being the Bears. Everyone said the smart thing was to stay with Fields, even though its questionable if he ever becomes a legitimate passer, and trade slightly back maybe even twice and getting a Blue Chipper like Anderson and a Haul......well they didn't get a haul and backed up all the way to #9 and will miss out on better QBS like Young and Stroud over Fields. 

26 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

And a QB needy team will trade with Arizona at 3 and leave Ballard with zero options. But we’ll always have that title of “Voted Best GM by the Other GMs” to brag about. 

In this case, I sidecwith Ballard and I have been very critical of him. People  r forgetting bout Steichen and his  influence  on this pick. Irsay and Ballard I believe have fully bought into Steichen. I truly believe they have targeted   their guy and it is  probably going to  shock people lol. 

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So much for multiple 1st rounders after this year, Ryan Poles’ bluff was called out by most teams.

Not only that, but future picks get downgraded by a round. CAR actually got off 

pretty cheap.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard MADE the tough decision.   He decided NOT to meet whatever Chicago’s asking price was.   Ultimately,  the decision could cost him his job.   I doubt it was easy.  

Lol. My advice to all singles is find someone who loves you as much as NewColtsFan loves Chris Ballard! (I knew you’d be back commenting on my posts. I missed you honestly!) 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

In this case, I sidecwith Ballard and I have been very critical of him. People  r forgetting bout Steichen and his  influence  on this pick. Irsay and Ballard I believe have fully bought into Steichen. I truly believe they have targeted   their guy and it is  probably going to  shock people lol. 

So…Bennett.

Archived