Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your last sentence.   The part about Ballard hates trading down in general.   Is that what you meant?   Or did you mean hates trading up?   

Ballard has said publicly he’s not a fan of trading up.   Says it’s too expensive.   Typically when he traded up he’ll trade a 5 to move up in the 2nd round like he did for Taylor.  Or when he traded a 5 to move from the top of the 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd to take Ty Lewis.   

But most often, Ballard loves to trade down.  He’s done it far more than trade up.  Not even close.

Can you clarify please?  

The one thing I like about Ballard is he sets his price and doesn't budge if a team wants more 

I expect the same in this draft! He will make an offer but not raise it if denied. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The one thing I like about Ballard is he sets his price and doesn't budge if a team wants more 

I expect the same in this draft! He will make an offer but not raise it if denied. 

Nor should he imo.  It seems there are a few Bears media hounds that expect the Bears to fleece the Colts for the #1 pick. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

But not at QB.  Ohio State QBs don’t tend to pan out at the NFL level.  Even Fields still has major questions around him.  I think Ohio State is so loaded they tend to make QBs look better than they really are.  Now, I’m fairness to Stroud you have to judge him as him and not just what school he went too.  

Name the last great QB to come from LSU not named Burrow or the last QB to come from Texas Tech not named Mahomes

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nor should he imo.  It seems there are a few Bears media hounds that expect the Bears to fleece the Colts for the #1 pick. 

the jets only gave us two second round picks to move up from 6 to 3 .    we should just look to trade with the cardinals not the bears unless ballard loves someone who he is convinced wont be there .   we might be able to just give away a second round pick and a third to move up .  we have two thirds this year anyway

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the jets only gave us two second round picks to move up from 6 to 3 .    we should just look to trade with the cardinals not the bears unless ballard loves someone who he is convinced wont be there .   we might be able to just give away a second round pick and a third to move up .  we have two thirds this year anyway

1 third 

Just now, coming on strong said:

True. I have seen some pretty ridiculous offers from a few forum members that are mind boggling. 

46 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

But again that's not necessarily someone you take with top 10 pick.

If Colts bring back Parris they are good enough for now.

No I’m saying if we can’t or aren’t high on these QBs, trade back once or twice and stack ammo for 2024. 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:42 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looking at that there could be no trades. Cards and bears need dline. 

The Bears have MANY holes..... I bet they trade

If a BIG IF.....  We fall in LOVE with a QB......  we need to do what it takes to get him

On 1/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, Nickster said:

I have German students and understand football is pretty big there.  Is it like that in Denmark or is it just you and @ThorstenDenmarklol.

Well outside of the US, the Danish TV channel -  TV2 Sport - shows the most number of NFL games in the world, with at least 5 games each week.

NFL have been shown on a regular basis on danish TV since 1999 on a regular basis, where the TV station bought the rights after Morten Andersen (2nd all time in points and hall of famer from Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints) kicked Falcons in their first super bowl.

So in Denmark NFL is quite huge, and we have a pretty large NFL fan base, a growing American Football League that gets better and better for each year. 

We might not have many NFL players, and currently we only have Hjalte Froholdt from the Cleveland Browns in the NFL, but as the sport continues to get bigger here in Denmark, more and more young talented players go to the US to play american football in both high school and colleges, we will soon have more danish players in the NFL. 

Fun fact, the Indianapolis Colts had a danish player on their practice squad a couple of years ago in Tackle - Andreas Knappe. He never played for the colts, and was released and then signed by the Denver Broncos.

So im no NFL noob and know a thing or two about the game, and follow it as closely from a far as I can. Furthermore I have a large Colts tattoo on my arm, which is inspired by Pat Mcafees hit on trindon holliday. 

After I got my Tattoo I sent a picture to Pat and he actually responded and messaged to me, and wrote he was blown away by it, which is think was pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts are gonna trade up to 3 IMO

Bears will trade down to 2 with Houston then select Will Anderson Jr 

2/3 QBs will be there at 3 and Colts will most likely lose 3rd and future 4th.

I think they just stay at four if the Texans trade up with the Bears.  They are guaranteed a QB if that happens.  Unless Ballard significantly like one of the three over the others no reason to move up then.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they just stay at four if the Texans trade up with the Bears.  They are guaranteed a QB if that happens.  Unless Ballard significantly like one of the three over the others no reason to move up then.

A team could trade up to Cardinals at 3. Losing a 3 and future 4 is chump change if it means getting franchise QB and the guy you want

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So you think it doesn’t matter to Ballard which quarterback he drafts if the Texans trade up.  He will pick from what’s left.  I have a feeling he has one he wants more than the others.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So you think it doesn’t matter to Ballard which quarterback he drafts if the Texans trade up.  He will pick from what’s left.  I have a feeling he has one he wants more than the others.

Like I said unless he falls in love with one of them more than the others yes I think he’ll stay put.  He values his draft picks and isn’t going to give those away if he’s guaranteed a QB at 4 and feels all three grade out roughly the same.

41 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

A team could trade up to Cardinals at 3. Losing a 3 and future 4 is chump change if it means getting franchise QB and the guy you want

It’s not chump change it’s still going to cost something and Ballard places high value on his draft picks.  If you use the draft value chart the difference between fourth and third overall is four points.  That would mean trading this years third (which the Colts don’t have), this years fourth, and probably a future pick to just to get to 400 points.  Then if there is bidding war because another team is interested in coming up too it’s going to cost more.

Also I clearly said unless Ballard significantly likes one more than the others.  If he does and he can get that guy at three and he would fear losing him yes I think he would move up.  If he doesn’t and has them graded out about the same he will stay put if the Texans trade with the Bears.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not chump change it’s still going to cost something and Ballard places high value on his draft picks.  If you use the draft value chart the difference between fourth and third overall is four points.  That would mean trading this years third (which the Colts don’t have), this years fourth, and probably a future pick to just to get to 400 points.  Then if there is bidding war because another team is interested in coming up too it’s going to cost more.

Also I clearly said unless Ballard significantly likes one more than the others.  If he does and he can get that guy at three and he would fear losing him yes I think he would move up.  If he doesn’t and has them graded out about the same he will stay put if the Texans trade with the Bears.

A clarification:   The Colts do not have their 3rd round pick this year, (Cross trade) but they have Washington’s 3rd round pick as final part of the Wentz deal. 

7 hours ago, runthepost said:

Name the last great QB to come from LSU not named Burrow or the last QB to come from Texas Tech not named Mahomes

Yep, that's one of the worst draft narratives that still persist nowadays. X school doesn't produce good players at Y position, so don't draft that guy. I have no idea why people still fall for this logical fallacy.

Scout the player, not the helmet. If there is a specific reason related to the skills or attributes of the player you think will hinder the player from panning out in the NFL, let's hear it. There are legitimate reason for us to think that Bryce Young or CJ Stroud might not succeed. Alabama/Ohio state don't produce QBs is not one of them.

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

is easy to make a trade when your career is not on the line ....   as a gm you cant risk trading up unless you are convinced its the right move .   

That’s not true. GM’s are rarely let go for one or two bad blunders like trading up for a QB that doesn’t pan out or giving big money to outside FAs. That’s what people (including Ballard) want to believe. They are evaluated for their overall body of work. You can trade up and be wrong. You just can’t do it frequently and you can’t miss on everything else. Mayock was fired because he missed on just about all of his premium picks except for Josh Jacobs and his only other hits were Hunter Renfrow and Maxx Crosby. 

12 hours ago, runthepost said:

You miss the point.  Those schools don’t have top 10 draft picks at QB taken every few years.  If they did and they kept busting like Ohio State QBs people would be leery of drafting their QBs high too for the same reason.

I will also repeat what I said in my first post though, you can’t judge Stroud solely on his school you have to judge him as him.  People seem to be missing that part in what I said.

IMO, trading up to pick #1 should involve a generational type of QB.   Some of the QBs taken #1 in the past have been that type.  Others have not been generational but at the time were the best QBs of a decent QB class.  Luck was generational, Manning, Elway. Lawrence were thought to be..and some others.  Most of these have the total package...including HEIGHT and body type.

Yes, there are other great QBs NOT taken #1 but that's a different topic.

IIRC, QBs like Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, etc were QBs that were taken by their teams who were ALREADY at the #1 pick.  They needed a QB and simply selected their favorite.  There was no trade up.  (And Burrow has turned out to be better than thought at the time...that is another issue)

So ask, is this a QB class with a generational QB in it, or are we talking about simply wanting to take our favorite QB of a less than generational QB class.   

Maybe that should help us gauge whether or not we want Ballard to trade up for our favorite.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, trading up to pick #1 should involve a generational type of QB.   Some of the QBs taken #1 in the past have been that type.  Others have not been generational but at the time were the best QBs of a decent QB class.  Luck was generational, Manning, Elway. Lawrence were thought to be..and some others.  Most of these have the total package...including HEIGHT and body type.

Yes, there are other great QBs NOT taken #1 but that's a different topic.

IIRC, QBs like Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, etc were QBs that were taken by their teams who were ALREADY at the #1 pick.  They needed a QB and simply selected their favorite.  There was no trade up.  (And Burrow has turned out to be better than thought at the time...that is another issue)

So ask, is this a QB class with a generational QB in it, or are we talking about simply wanting to take our favorite QB of a less than generational QB class.   

Maybe that should help us gauge whether or not we want Ballard to trade up for our favorite.

I don’t really feel that way at all. If there is one that you feel you have to have over the others go get them at one. Of course if none of them separate themselves from each other stay where your at. Intel is important too. If you have inside info yo know who might take who. One future first isn’t going to kill your team when you expect a young QB to take time anyway. If there is a guy you think can be the franchise then go get them.

Archived