Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tell me about you as a Colts fan!

Happy2BeHere

Tell me about you as a fan!  

139 members have voted

1. 1. About what year did you become a Colts fan?

2. 2. Are you a diehard fan of any other NFL team besides the Colts?

3. 3. Have you attended a Colts game live?

4. 4. Where did you see the Colts live ?

5. 5. We’re you born in Indiana?

6. 6. Where do you currently live?

• Indiana
    • Somewhere in the U.S.A. (Other than Indiana)
    • Canada
    • Somewhere other than the U.S.A. / Canada

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I feel the same way.  One thing I have noticed is the older fans show more patience as they have been through the real rough days. What we have been through the last 5 years don't touch what was going on pryor to Harbaugh then Manning. 

Couldn’t have said it better!

I'm an Indy native, born and bred.  The Colts came to Indy when I was in my last year of high school.  I went to college just north of South Bend, so I was a Bears fan at the time.  I can still name the entire starting 22 of the '85 superbowl team.  But I came home after college.  I was at the Colts-49'er game, where the officials gave the 49'ers a 5th down, and we stopped them anyway.  I remember those wretched '90-'93 teams with Jeff George.  I went to Marshall Faulk's first preseason game in '94.  I thought he was Walter Payton, but with speed.  I remember being a whisker away from going to the superbowl with Jim Harbaugh.  I saw Marvin Harrison in rookie training camp, and just fell over.  He was amazing.  My best friend from college lived in Miami.  And he and I went to both Colts/Dolphins games every year.  I remember Peyton's rookie season of 28 TD's and 29 INT's (or vice versa).  I swore off the Colts when they didn't draft Ricky Williams, and instead drafted this guy called Edgerrin James.  But what did I know?  I immediately bought his jersey.  I then moved to the Tampa area for 3 years.  Was there just long enough to watch them win a superbowl title, and buy myself a Mike Alstott jersey.  Came home in 2003, just in time to watch the Colts lose to the Patriots year after year after year.  Had season tickets in 2005, the best team we ever had.  Heartbreak losing to the Steelers.  Got to enjoy the superbowl with Tony Dungy.  Have been a faithful fan, through thick and thin.  Through the bad years when Bill Polian let his son run the team (bad call, that).  Through the Andrew Luck years.  And all of the Chris Ballard years.  Jerseys I own:  32 Edgerrin James, 20 Bob Sanders, 51 Pat Angerer, 56 Quenton Nelson.  14 Bilbo Baggins (for fun).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I became a Colt fan at the age of 12 watching the Colts beat the Giants in the greatest game ever played.  A sudden death victory back in 1958.  Never moved away from the Colts in all of these years.  Married in February 1969 and honeymooned in Miami right after the SB loss to the Jets.  Walked on the field in Miami with the Colts still painted in the end zone.  The next year went to Buffalo to see our 1st game live.  It was in the old War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo a baseball stadium actually.  It was winter as we drove to DePew a town near the airport and stayed in a Hotel Saturday night before the game.  As it turns out The Colts pulled in and stayed in the same Hotel.  We couldn't believe it.  Had dinner that night at the hotel and I remember leaving my wife at the bar as we were waiting for a table.  When I returned there was Tom Matte talking to her along with another player.  Whoa fellas.  She was hot looking in her mini skirt I have to say.  Unitas was the only player there with his wife.  Privileges I guess.  It was fun walking down the hallways and seeing the players in their rooms.  Doors opened all the way for the most part.  We will never forget it.  We won the game by a huge margin the next day.  I remember walking on the field afterwards among the players.  Bubba Smith walked right by me.  I have never seen a man so huge.  Amazing to me back then.  I have been to Indy a number of times to see them play at both stadiums.  They lost all of them sadly.  We go to Buffalo to see them play whenever they go there.  It's been a great trip being a Colts fan.  Hopefully I have more years ahead of me to watch them play.  Another Super Bowl would be nice. 

I would have never guessed you are in your 70's. This is why it is good to get to know people and their background. I was thinking you were more my age, I am 51. You have been a Colts fan way before I was even born. Great respect to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm an Indy native, born and bred.  The Colts came to Indy when I was in my last year of high school.  I went to college just north of South Bend, so I was a Bears fan at the time.  I can still name the entire starting 22 of the '85 superbowl team.  But I came home after college.  I was at the Colts-49'er game, where the officials gave the 49'ers a 5th down, and we stopped them anyway.  I remember those wretched '90-'93 teams with Jeff George.  I went to Marshall Faulk's first preseason game in '94.  I thought he was Walter Payton, but with speed.  I remember being a whisker away from going to the superbowl with Jim Harbaugh.  I saw Marvin Harrison in rookie training camp, and just fell over.  He was amazing.  My best friend from college lived in Miami.  And he and I went to both Colts/Dolphins games every year.  I remember Peyton's rookie season of 28 TD's and 29 INT's (or vice versa).  I swore off the Colts when they didn't draft Ricky Williams, and instead drafted this guy called Edgerrin James.  But what did I know?  I immediately bought his jersey.  I then moved to the Tampa area for 3 years.  Was there just long enough to watch them win a superbowl title, and buy myself a Mike Alstott jersey.  Came home in 2003, just in time to watch the Colts lose to the Patriots year after year after year.  Had season tickets in 2005, the best team we ever had.  Heartbreak losing to the Steelers.  Got to enjoy the superbowl with Tony Dungy.  Have been a faithful fan, through thick and thin.  Through the bad years when Bill Polian let his son run the team (bad call, that).  Through the Andrew Luck years.  And all of the Chris Ballard years.  Jerseys I own:  32 Edgerrin James, 20 Bob Sanders, 51 Pat Angerer, 56 Quenton Nelson.  14 Bilbo Baggins (for fun).

Great stuff! Yeah I have a couple of friends that are Bears fans because they were before the Colts moved here. In 2006, they avoided me for a long while haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I became a Colt fan at the age of 12 watching the Colts beat the Giants in the greatest game ever played.  A sudden death victory back in 1958.  Never moved away from the Colts in all of these years.  Married in February 1969 and honeymooned in Miami right after the SB loss to the Jets.  Walked on the field in Miami with the Colts still painted in the end zone.  The next year went to Buffalo to see our 1st game live.  It was in the old War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo a baseball stadium actually.  It was winter as we drove to DePew a town near the airport and stayed in a Hotel Saturday night before the game.  As it turns out The Colts pulled in and stayed in the same Hotel.  We couldn't believe it.  Had dinner that night at the hotel and I remember leaving my wife at the bar as we were waiting for a table.  When I returned there was Tom Matte talking to her along with another player.  Whoa fellas.  She was hot looking in her mini skirt I have to say.  Unitas was the only player there with his wife.  Privileges I guess.  It was fun walking down the hallways and seeing the players in their rooms.  Doors opened all the way for the most part.  We will never forget it.  We won the game by a huge margin the next day.  I remember walking on the field afterwards among the players.  Bubba Smith walked right by me.  I have never seen a man so huge.  Amazing to me back then.  I have been to Indy a number of times to see them play at both stadiums.  They lost all of them sadly.  We go to Buffalo to see them play whenever they go there.  It's been a great trip being a Colts fan.  Hopefully I have more years ahead of me to watch them play.  Another Super Bowl would be nice. 

Great post! I enjoyed reading that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

You're a good fan. Given that you lived in the Tampa area before Dungy was hired, I wonder if you were happy with the hire. 

My dad lived in the Tampa area for several years (Carolwood?). I liked Clearwater and St. Pete better. 

23 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Love it too. I was enjoying reading the stories, but I'm being summoned. Gotta jump off but will be back. 

@MB-ColtsFan, @DEColtsLover36, @Patrick Miller, @richard pallo, @Defjamz26 @coltsfansince65

@Dunk, @sb41champs

When did you become Colts fans. Some of you in in the past have noted that you were not from Maryland or Indiana. 

Enjoy your Saturday everyone. 

It was 1969, age 9, living in NJ, and it seemed like everyone had a team, except for me.  Colts were big favs to win the SB against the Jets, so why not go with the winner, right?  Yeah, that didn't turn out so well, haha.

As a few of you may remember way back then, TV Guide used to post the rosters of the teams that were scheduled to play on network TV on that Sunday.  That's how I got to know the team;  Johnny U, Matte, Morrall, Shula et all.  I had dreams of seeing them in old Memorial Stadium.

Once the Colts fell out of the top teams it was tough finding much of any info on them since they were no longer on TV.  Newspapers were full of Giants, Jets and Philly news in central Jersey - definitely not any Colts news.  The closest I got to following them came in the Bert Jones years. " Jones to Carr" would fill my ears and I was loving it.  Then came all of the injuries and then back to no info.  I started following the Giants.

Once Peyton hit the scene and the internet really took off I was able to follow a bit better.  My wife was a great sports wife and encouraged me to watch more games.  We went to our first game in 2005 in the Dome.  We sat up near the booth.  I think it was against the Texans?  We won.  We retired and moved to Myrtle Beach in 2014 and have tried to make a game in Indy every year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You're a good fan. Given that you lived in the Tampa area before Dungy was hired, I wonder if you were happy with the hire. 

My dad lived in the Tampa area for several years (Carolwood?). I liked Clearwater and St. Pete better. 

I moved to St Pete in 2000.  Got to watch 2 seasons of poor offense paired with a hall of fame defense.  Saw Dungy released, to be replaced by Jon Gruden.  What's happening with Jeff Saturday has happened before.  You take a good team that had an emotionless coach, and give them an energetic shot in the arm with an emotional coach.  Returned to Indy in January 2004.  It was -8 degrees when I arrived.  Just in time to see the Patriots beat the Colts in the playoffs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

As a kid I was never really a fan of a team. I lived in Florida, Maryland, and now Jersey (born in NY though). I was a big Michael Vick fan so I rooted for the Falcons. I was also a Favre fan (before we knew he was a You know what). I became a Colts fan because I loved Peyton so I’ve been a fan since 2005-ish.

Live in central Jersey. Lots of Giants and Jets fans, and people from South Jersey are all Eagles fans (South jersey is like 30 mins out from Philly). Rutgers is like 5 mins away so that’s what he have for college teams although I’m a Michigan State fan.

Im also young. I’m 31

I hear ya' regarding the fans.

I grew up in central Jersey (Tinton Falls), moved all over Jersey before I left in 2014.  I lived in Somerset for a while n the mid 80's, which is not too far from Rutgers Stadium.  It was a zoo when Rutgers hosted  Notre Dame in the mid-80's (I think??).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Once the Colts fell out of the top teams it was tough finding much of any info on them since they were no longer on TV.  Newspapers were full of Giants, Jets and Philly news in central Jersey - definitely not any Colts news. 

Thanks for sharing that. As for the above, I know what you mean. I used to like listening to The NFL Now on the radio with Mike Francesa. He would discuss each game that was scheduled for the day, but at least two times he remarked "Who cares" when it  came to a game involving the Vikings. One game was the Vikings against the Arizona Cardinals. He did not think it was worth discussing. I was so disappointed. Lol. I have not listened in several years, but for many years I would turn the radio on at 9am my time to listen to NFL talk before the start of the games. I have the internet now. haha

• Like 1

From Denmark, Europe. Been a fan since 2004. Got into watching the NFL by watching Super Bowls since about 2000. After watching Bucs vs. Raiders in 2003 I decided to follow the sport more closely and was in awe of Manning and his command of the offense.

I was really excited when we got Luck, but felt (and still feel like) we dropped the ball by not building an Oline to protect him. Was initially excited about Reich and Ballard, but feel like both haven't lived up to our hopes and expectations.

Now Reich's gone and I hope Ballard is on his way out as well. Too many missed opportunities and not enough difference makers after 6 years of building.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

From Denmark, Europe. Been a fan since 2004. Got into watching the NFL by watching Super Bowls since about 2000. After watching Bucs vs. Raiders in 2003 I decided to follow the sport more closely and was in awe of Manning and his command of the offense.

I was really excited when we got Luck, but felt (and still feel like) we dropped the ball by not building an Oline to protect him. Was initially excited about Reich and Ballard, but feel like both haven't lived up to our hopes and expectations.

Now Reich's gone and I hope Ballard is on his way out as well. Too many missed opportunities and not enough difference makers after 6 years of building.

Luck retiring set us back 5 years. Rivers was good but that was our 1 chance to make a SB run without Luck. Ryan has got a raw deal because our Line has been MEH and Taylor was injured for a few games. Leonard being out on defense has hurt as well because his turnover ability gives the offense great field position. Ryan thought he was coming to a team that was SB ready, it hasn't worked out that way. When we got Rivers, we stayed healthy and our Line was much better. Taylor was great the last 5 or 6 games that season too. 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, NFLfan said:

Love it too. I was enjoying reading the stories, but I'm being summoned. Gotta jump off but will be back. 

@MB-ColtsFan, @DEColtsLover36, @Patrick Miller, @richard pallo, @Defjamz26 @coltsfansince65

@Dunk, @sb41champs

When did you become Colts fans. Some of you in in the past have noted that you were not from Maryland or Indiana. 

Enjoy your Saturday everyone. 

Nice thread, good stories from all.

Born and raised 120 miles south of Indy.

I didn't have a strong favorite NFL team before the Colts came to town, but I had followed the Raiders some because I liked to watch the Snake and Fred Biletnikoff. Dad was a Steelers fan so we always enjoyed some good natured trash talk.

After the Colts arrived here I figured I would follow them and the rest is history.

As others have stated, there were times in the early years that this team would be viewed as encouraging. It did get bad enough that the home games didn't all sell out.

I remember home games being blacked out, and watching other games with the sound off on the TV while I listened to Lamey's broadcast on the radio. 

Thankfully the 95 team was awesome and rekindled some interest. I started attending a few games myself.

Of course everybody knows the rest of the story we draft Peyton and get to enjoy many years of great football, and a few with Luck afterward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:34 PM, DEColtsLover36 said:

I’m a Philly girl, born and raised in North Philly. Sports loving household, my mom and older sister were die hard fans of all Philly teams. My dad is a Cowboys fan. Loved growing up joining along with my mom and sister ragging on my dad during divisional games.

Then as I got older I started paying more attention to other teams, I wanted to cheer for others besides just the Eagles. Honestly this is embarrassing but the Colts first roped me in because of their beautiful blue color (I’m obsessed with royal blue). :) Then as I watched them more and more I found a true connection to them, definitely loved coach Dungy and fell in love with Peyton’s A type personality. Loved how the Colts carried themselves and their high standards. Also loved the calm fan base I saw on TV, compared to what I grew up around haha. Have rolled with the Colts only ever since.

Now I live in DE and love making people turn twice when I wear my Colts gear. I’m an alien out here haha, they wanna know why I don’t have Philly or Baltimore or Pittsburg gear on haha. Will never stop cheering for that beautiful blue. :rock:

I dream of the day that I will get to engulf myself in the sea of blue, the day I finally travel to Lucas Oil for a home game god willing!

I live in Delaware too. Been a Colts fan since 1969, when then lost to Jets. Went to Baltimore to see a few games with Jones, Roger Carr, Lydell Mitchell, the “Sack Pack”,  et al. That’s where I first experienced the brotherhood of Colts nation.
    Followed the team to Indy and suffered through the pre-Manning years, then lived through the building of a historically successful team (would have loved to have won more than one ring) and rejoiced when we beat NE and finally won a SB.

Then there was Andrew Luck: I just loved the way he played! I always felt the Colts had a chance, with Luck. Any Colts fan that saw him play, has probably wondered how different things would have been, if he had stayed…..

Lastly, being from the Philly area, this past game (I bought tickets), was a heart-breaker. Not only did they lose to the dreaded Eagles, but after the game, I had to listen to the E-A-G-L-E-S chant, over and over, rubbing the “salt into the wounds”. 
       As bad as this year has been, I can’t give up until they are mathematically eliminated. Heck, I haven’t even conceded the Division yet, with the Tennessee loss today!!

• Like 6

At 9 years old i was enamored with the 64 Olympics and New world record holder Bullitt Bob Hayes. The next NFL draft the track star was drafted by the Cowboys. And there my love of the game began. Tom Landry, Bob Lilly and Doomsday, Dandy Don and many other greats, none greater than Roger, kept me hooked till Roger retired and Tom got near the end.

By then i had a new all-time favorite to watch on tv locally most weekends, Walter "mak'em" Peyton. The Bears were lowly, getting me ready for our Colts one day, but he kept me loving the game, win or lose.

It was the greatest thing having an Indiana NFL team and my allegiance went 100% behind our team from day 1.

We had the Awesome Chris Hinton, with really good  C Ray Donaldson and G Ron Solt allowing us to pound the inside with Curtis Dickey and Randy McMillan. We could have won a lot with these men, unfortunately 5 guys do not an offense make.

On defense i loved how Barry Krause hammered them, he was very good.

He got good help from a very tuff Cliff Odom and 2 other hard playing lineman Donnell Thompson and Johnie Cooks. After them on D, not much. Still, they kept us in some games.

No My Colts didn't have near the talent as the best teams but from the beginning i had worthy players to root for and they have been My watchable Colts for all but roughly the last 5-6 C Painter (hurl) starts. 

Praying and Rooting for Raimann, he is in the midst of playing against one of the toughest stretch of superb pass rushers ever seen. 

Who wants to bet heavy that 15 year Ryan remains cool under pressure?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck retiring set us back 5 years. Rivers was good but that was our 1 chance to make a SB run without Luck. Ryan has got a raw deal because our Line has been MEH and Taylor was injured for a few games. Leonard being out on defense has hurt as well because his turnover ability gives the offense great field position. Ryan thought he was coming to a team that was SB ready, it hasn't worked out that way. When we got Rivers, we stayed healthy and our Line was much better. Taylor was great the last 5 or 6 games that season too. 

Luck retiring set us back, no doubt about it, but Ballard will use that as a crutch forever. We've had opportunities to move on, but he's either still shell shocked, too hesitant or plain incapable of making THE MOVE.

I want to make it clear I'm 100% on board with Ballard's philosophy. I have no faith in Ballard's strategy. If you want to build through the draft you have to, as a minimum, hit on premium positions for it to work. On top of that he's not been able to replace proven talent and he's made some questionable decisions (LT twice and OL in general) that we still suffer from.

I think our offense was better overall with Rivers than it is now even if our Oline had played at a similar level to the 2020 season. Ryan is worse than Rivers in every way in my opinion. On defense our pass rush has improved, but I'm not really sure our defense is better as a whole. Maybe slightly.

The 2020 draft was our chance to move on. Pick a QB and sit him behind Rivers to learn. Instead we're throwing (A LOT of) money after trainwrecks and has-beens. Ballard's had his shot and Irsay is going over his head and making decisions Ballard should be making.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Luck retiring set us back, no doubt about it, but Ballard will use that as a crutch forever. We've had opportunities to move on, but he's either still shell shocked, too hesitant or plain incapable of making THE MOVE.

I want to make it clear I'm 100% on board with Ballard's philosophy. I have no faith in Ballard's strategy. If you want to build through the draft you have to, as a minimum, hit on premium positions for it to work. On top of that he's not been able to replace proven talent and he's made some questionable decisions (LT twice and OL in general) that we still suffer from.

I think our offense was better overall with Rivers than it is now even if our Oline had played at a similar level to the 2020 season. Ryan is worse than Rivers in every way in my opinion. On defense our pass rush has improved, but I'm not really sure our defense is better as a whole. Maybe slightly.

The 2020 draft was our chance to move on. Pick a QB and sit him behind Rivers to learn. Instead we're throwing (A LOT of) money after trainwrecks and has-beens. Ballard's had his shot and Irsay is going over his head and making decisions Ballard should be making.

Rivers has been the 2nd best QB we have had in the Luck era only behind 2012-2014 Luck. Ryan could have been just as good as Rivers but our O.Line playing bad and the injuries we have had let him down. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

At 9 years old i was enamored with the 64 Olympics and New world record holder Bullitt Bob Hayes. The next NFL draft the track star was drafted by the Cowboys. And there my love of the game began. Tom Landry, Bob Lilly and Doomsday, Dandy Don and many other greats, none greater than Roger, kept me hooked till Roger retired and Tom got near the end.

By then i had a new all-time favorite to watch on tv locally most weekends, Walter "mak'em" Peyton. The Bears were lowly, getting me ready for our Colts one day, but he kept me loving the game, win or lose.

It was the greatest thing having an Indiana NFL team and my allegiance went 100% behind our team from day 1.

We had the Awesome Chris Hinton, with really good  C Ray Donaldson and G Ron Solt allowing us to pound the inside with Curtis Dickey and Randy McMillan. We could have won a lot with these men, unfortunately 5 guys do not an offense make.

On defense i loved how Barry Krause hammered them, he was very good.

He got good help from a very tuff Cliff Odom and 2 other hard playing lineman Donnell Thompson and Johnie Cooks. After them on D, not much. Still, they kept us in some games.

No My Colts didn't have near the talent as the best teams but from the beginning i had worthy players to root for and they have been My watchable Colts for all but roughly the last 5-6 C Painter (hurl) starts. 

Praying and Rooting for Raimann, he is in the midst of playing against one of the toughest stretch of superb pass rushers ever seen. 

Who wants to bet heavy that 15 year Ryan remains cool under pressure?

Bob Hayes had Deion, Darrell Green, and Bo speed. I remember in 1987 as a 16 yr old when we got Dickerson. I told my dad we just got the best athlete I have ever seen = speed + power, we will win the SB. He laughed of course. We did win the division, not bad for a teenager prediction :thmup:

• Like 1

Started with Super Bowl III kid in NY Went with favorite and have never left

been  to RCA  an have a set of seats 

LOS  saw Colts blowout the Giants 

Meadowlands  jets colts   giants colts

Shea stadium NY jets colts

Miami both super bowls 

draft for Peyton

HOF for Edge and Peyton

Win lose or draw Fan  for Live 

• Like 4

I grew up a fan of the NFL.  Loved Marino, Joe and Steve's 49rs and the Browns and Skins.   Moved to Northern Indiana in 1986.   mostly Bears fans up there.   I chose to root against them and be a Colts fan.  It was a rough trek till Manning came along (outside of the 1 Harbaugh led team that almost beat the Steelers to make the Superbowl.  Sad when the best moment before Manning was a 9-7 team almost beating the Steelers.   i enjoyed the Manning years very much.  

• Like 2

Growing up in western Pa. I've been a Colt fan since 1967. Didn't get to see many games though. The Bert Jones years were great. Then some down years. throwing BBZ has some good memories of the 80's I concur with them. The 90's brought us a really good defense. Ray Buchanon was a lot of fun to watch. Coryatt, Goose, McCoy, anyone remember O'Brien Alston? A really good linebacker who had his knee shattered by Freeman McNiel and was never the same after that. Marshall Faulk, and pretty good offensive line. Then came the Peyton years and that speaks for itself. I got Direct tv in 1996 and haven't missed a game since. Been great being a Colt fan I wouldn't trade being a Colt fan for any other team, period. 

• Like 4

I've told this a couple of times here over the years, but will bore you again now.

I'm born and lived (most of now) my whole life in the Chicagoland area, but never liked any of the Chicago sports teams. I loved football and (at 10 yrs old) decided Dec 26, 1965 I was going to pick my team from a playoff game between the Packers and the Colts. 

The Packers won 13 - 10 in OT in the fog, but the Colts were heavy underdogs, starting 3rd stringer (actually our RB) Tom Matte (Unitas & Cuozzo out). It was the most entertaining game I'd seen, to date, and fell in love with the Colts. Picking the Packers would have been soooo juicy since Bears fans hated them, but.... I'm a Colts fan.

I'd never been to Baltimore and really had no plans to visit. Then one morning I woke up to find they'd moved to Indy. I looked up Indy to find how close it was. Really, I had little idea exactly where it was (I'd never been east of Illinois to that point), and could easily get there for an overnighter and catch a game. So, my wife and I came down to see our first game, and really liked the area. Never mind the Rams blew us out. We continued to come down about every other year through most of the 90s.

We wanted to move to Indy but my profession isn't really popular in the area, so I was stuck, but we hoped one day.

Well, about 12 years ago I (kinda) got out of my business providing support for those in my business, working from home. One day I asked my boss if he cared where I lived, since no one was at the home base, and he didn't. A year later we moved down to the Indy suburbs, and could never go back again. Heck, no need to since many Chicagoans are still moving down here.

That's all I have to say about that.

• Like 3

been a die hard colts fan since the 60s when they played in Baltimore. hated the move to Indy. lived 30 miles out of Baltimore in Annapolis. never thought of switching teams . I am Lifetime Colts and Orioles fan . all my baseball buddies hate them and give me a hard time because I still love em . I am the type who cannot switch teams . die hard. only way I know .

• Like 7

I grew up in baltimore, my dad took me to my first game in 1953 , I was 9 years old. my work took me to different places to live all over the usa. I remained a colts fan an eventually moved to kokomo indiana. I am moving to pensacola fl next year to be near my daughter but I will remain a colts fan. I am 78 years old,

• Like 7

• NFLfan pinned this topic
On 11/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

I grew up in baltimore, my dad took me to my first game in 1953 , I was 9 years old. my work took me to different places to live all over the usa. I remained a colts fan an eventually moved to kokomo indiana. I am moving to pensacola fl next year to be near my daughter but I will remain a colts fan. I am 78 years old,

78! Wow friend that is awesome. I can only hope that by God’s grace and miracles I can make it to my 70’s (I am 42 now). I love that you have a memory of that with your dad. My father passed away when I was 10 and since we live in Utah we really didn’t have sports here…except the Utah Jazz…and my papa was frugal he saved a lot of his money because he bought land and built the family home in 1990/1991 (and had just dug the hole when he passed). The Jazz had only been here since just before 1980 (the year I was born) and back then raising 3 kids with a momma who stayed home and only he being the breadwinner we didn’t do events as such. He was a great man, provided all of our needs and our occasional wants. He loved us and his wife and I couldn’t have asked for more other than more time with him. He was my best friend as a kid I followed him everywhere like a puppy dog. 

I flew out to Indiana in 2007 to see the Chiefs play the Colts in the RCA Dome by myself. I wasn’t married at the time although I was in a relationship. I now have one biological kid with my ex-wife and 7 kids that are from my wife’s previous marriage and of course they are my kids and I raise them and provide for them the same. I always promised my biological son I would take him to a Colts game (this was before I married again with 7 more kids). That was supposed to happen in Vegas a few weeks ago when the Colts played there because we still live in Utah (born and raised) but unfortunately due to my emergent medical situation and pending surgery in a few days now I was not able to take him. I’m praying that next year he and I can fly up to Indiana to watch the Colts play at Lucas Oil…I have not been to that stadium yet. 

On the other hand I think it’s great you’ll be moving closer to your daughter. Family is everything. 

Again everyone. I just absolutely love hearing all of your stories. Please keep them coming they put a smile on my face and joy in my heart.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

78! Wow friend that is awesome. I can only hope that by God’s grace and miracles I can make it to my 70’s (I am 42 now). I love that you have a memory of that with your dad. My father passed away when I was 10 and since we live in Utah we really didn’t have sports here…except the Utah Jazz…and my papa was frugal he saved a lot of his money because he bought land and built the family home in 1990/1991 (and had just dug the hole when he passed). The Jazz had only been here since just before 1980 (the year I was born) and back then raising 3 kids with a momma who stayed home and only he being the breadwinner we didn’t do events as such. He was a great man, provided all of our needs and our occasional wants. He loved us and his wife and I couldn’t have asked for more other than more time with him. He was my best friend as a kid I followed him everywhere like a puppy dog. 

I flew out to Indiana in 2007 to see the Chiefs play the Colts in the RCA Dome by myself. I wasn’t married at the time although I was in a relationship. I now have one biological kid with my ex-wife and 7 kids that are from my wife’s previous marriage and of course they are my kids and I raise them and provide for them the same. I always promised my biological son I would take him to a Colts game (this was before I married again with 7 more kids). That was supposed to happen in Vegas a few weeks ago when the Colts played there because we still live in Utah (born and raised) but unfortunately due to my emergent medical situation and pending surgery in a few days now I was not able to take him. I’m praying that next year he and I can fly up to Indiana to watch the Colts play at Lucas Oil…I have not been to that stadium yet. 

On the other hand I think it’s great you’ll be moving closer to your daughter. Family is everything. 

Again everyone. I just absolutely love hearing all of your stories. Please keep them coming they put a smile on my face and joy in my heart.

Family is so important. Social supports are important. It is also important to reach out to those who may not be fortunate as we are to have family or friends.

I was talking to a 91 year old veteran He told me he was lonely, as he is homebound and his friends have passed away. I asked him what would help. He said he loves movies. I asked a friend of mine who is now retired to call this man every week to provide support and talk about movies. My friend told me yesterday that he has called him twice (45 min calls) and he is going to visit the man and bring him movies. I love it. The older guy told me, "I always feel better when I speak to you." That made my day. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Family is so important. Social supports are important. It is also important to reach out to those who may not be fortunate as we are to have family or friends.

I was talking to a 91 year old veteran He told me he was lonely, as he is homebound and his friends have passed away. I asked him what would help. He said he loves movies. I asked a friend of mine who is now retired to call this man every week to provide support and talk about movies. My friend told me yesterday that he has called him twice (45 min calls) and he is going to visit the man and bring him movies. I love it. The older guy told me, "I always feel better when I speak to you." That made my day. :)

There are SO many people who are lonely in this world. A simple act; a kind word; a moment that they hear from someone can buoy their spirits in ways unimaginable. I am hoping to do the same for someone in the near future. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I want to read more stories. :)

.Being  in NY I was going to the draft as we had the first pick in 1998.

no cellphone had a beeper .

geared up with Colts jacket and hat

Back then security wasn’t as it is today at the draft and so just after we drafted Peyton I found myself watching him walk towards me I jumped out of my seat and put out my hand to greet him and welcomed him to the colts. First fan to shake his hand but no camera to memorialize the occasion A fan sitting upper level tossed a football down which Peyton signed and threw back.

I then followed him to the interview room where I met Mr Spanos of the Chargers and Ryan Leaf.

they gave out small radio to listen to the broadcast of the game. I still have it.

this leads to the HOF ceremony I attended.

Have request in to the HOF to see if they want to display the radio in the manning showcase

To add to this I’m sitting having breakfast and who is across from me but Ryan Leaf I didn’t want to bother him but we ended up in the elevator at the stadium Stopped and spoke for a few minutes showed him the radio which he had a good laugh Great guy took pics He was there as a guest of Peyton

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

.Being  in NY I was going to the draft as we had the first pick in 1998.

no cellphone had a beeper .

geared up with Colts jacket and hat

Back then security wasn’t as it is today at the draft and so just after we drafted Peyton I found myself watching him walk towards me I jumped out of my seat and put out my hand to greet him and welcomed him to the colts. First fan to shake his hand but no camera to memorialize the occasion A fan sitting upper level tossed a football down which Peyton signed and threw back.

I then followed him to the interview room where I met Mr Spanos of the Chargers and Ryan Leaf.

they gave out small radio to listen to the broadcast of the game. I still have it.

this leads to the HOF ceremony I attended.

Have request in to the HOF to see if they want to display the radio in the manning showcase

To add to this I’m sitting having breakfast and who is across from me but Ryan Leaf I didn’t want to bother him but we ended up in the elevator at the stadium Stopped and spoke for a few minutes showed him the radio which he had a good laugh Great guy took pics He was there as a guest of Peyton

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing.

All those years that the draft was at Radio City Music Hall, I never once went there for the draft. I did go to Met Life (or was it Giants Stadium) in 2014 for the draft. It was a lot of fun but my friend and I left after the Giants drafted O'Dell Becham Jr. (He is a Giants fan ) I got home just in time to see the Vikings select Teddy Bridgewater. :)