Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - Practice report (LVR)

EastStreet

I believe the smart move is to gear the offense towards smashmouth football. We will see what they decide to do, but Sam is going to have his 3rd offensive coordinator in his first three games. Something has to give here. The game plan will need to be simple. Back to the basics. Get some bigger guys on the field, and use some lead blockers. Mix in some screens, and occasionally take a shot down the field.

If you hit on some of the shots down the field, then the defense will have to rethink their approach to us. If we run the ball with success, then at that point we are controlling the game. Our offense hasn't really controlled the game for most of the season. They have not had enough success to build on. Sometimes it is just that spark play that gets the team rolling. We have not had enough of those. Instead we have had a lot of runs that went nowhere, and given up sacks in the passing game. No rhythm. 

I'd go back to the basics. I remember this one game, when I called the same play 7 times in a row. Nothing else seemed to work, but they couldn't stop that one play. Our left guard and left tackle were blocking their butts off. and we just ran right in between them. Funny thing is that after we marched down the field and scored on that drive, everything else started working. That energy was contagious. The Colts offense needs to have some success, and that will change everything. 

19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe the smart move is to gear the offense towards smashmouth football. We will see what they decide to do, but Sam is going to have his 3rd offensive coordinator in his first three games. Something has to give here. The game plan will need to be simple. Back to the basics. Get some bigger guys on the field, and use some lead blockers. Mix in some screens, and occasionally take a shot down the field.

If you hit on some of the shots down the field, then the defense will have to rethink their approach to us. If we run the ball with success, then at that point we are controlling the game. Our offense hasn't really controlled the game for most of the season. They have not had enough success to build on. Sometimes it is just that spark play that gets the team rolling. We have not had enough of those. Instead we have had a lot of runs that went nowhere, and given up sacks in the passing game. No rhythm. 

I'd go back to the basics. I remember this one game, when I called the same play 7 times in a row. Nothing else seemed to work, but they couldn't stop that one play. Our left guard and left tackle were blocking their butts off. and we just ran right in between them. Funny thing is that after we marched down the field and scored on that drive, everything else started working. That energy was contagious. The Colts offense needs to have some success, and that will change everything. 

How do you play smashmouth football with an Oline currently performing as a bottom 5 in the league at run blocking?

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Doyel is soooooo mediocre... lol.. 

Does anyone like the guy?

51 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Agree. Basics, and more run. But probably more outside runs or sweeps... And perhaps a tweak OL scheme. 

31 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

How do you play smashmouth football with an Oline currently performing as a bottom 5 in the league at run blocking?

motivation, and more power

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With Saturday pixie dust… :) 

yup... lol

Maybe our offense can finally get going this week???

Raiders place LB Divine Deablo on injured reserve

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/raiders-place-lb-divine-deablo-on-ir-sign-veteran-cb/ar-AA13RY4J

Deablo is the Raiders leading tackler with 73 tackles and one pass deflection while playing nearly every defensive snap over the start of the season.

No other player on the Raiders defense has 50 tackles this season, and as it showed last Sunday, his presence will be missed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raiders Starting LB Blake Martinez Abruptly Retires From NFL

https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/blake-martinez-retires/

The team placed Hunter Renfrow and Darren Waller on Injured Reserve but that wasn’t the last of the bad news for the Raiders. Linebacker Blake Martinez decided to announce his retirement in the middle of the season despite being healthy...

With the Raiders suffering injuries at linebacker, Martinez had earned a starting role. He played 91% of the team’s defensive snaps last week against the Jaguars. This is a blow for the team as the defense has struggled all season. The former tackles leader joined the team after the season started but had familiarity with Patrick Graham’s defense, which led to him taking snaps early. For whatever reason, he decided he didn’t want to continue forward with the team. It’s certainly a concerning sign that a key player would retire with half the season left to be played. It’ll be interesting to see how the Raiders play against a disaster of a Colts team on Sunday...

...There’s a strong chance the Raiders will have to rely on undrafted rookies Luke Masterson and Darien Butler on Sunday against the Colts. They both had good training camps but there’s a reason they haven’t played a ton of snaps this season...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martinez Making a Ton of Money off Pokemon Cards

Martinez has been one of the most productive linebackers in the NFL in his career and is just 28 years old. It’s certainly odd for him to retire at such a young age. It could be due to the fact that he’s making money in other ways. The linebacker has made over a million dollars just by selling Pokemon cards.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I am more excited for this game than any other, besides the Houston game to start the season.  

I want to see how the team looks on the sideline and if there is a noticeable difference of the O-line. 

Last week when Jeff did the Bowen morning show, he said the bad line play was due to execution not coaching.  But doesn’t execution come from coaches enforcing repetitions in practice?

In my mind (and I’m no Oline expert) it seems like a good coach will recognize a player’s weaknesses and work on what they can do best.  And account for what they can’t do with schemes.  

Of course if a player like Pryor just doesn’t have the talent, you can’t make silk out of a …. 

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Last week when Jeff did the Bowen morning show, he said the bad line play was due to execution not coaching.  But doesn’t execution come from coaches enforcing repetitions in practice?

In my mind (and I’m no Oline expert) it seems like a good coach will recognize a player’s weaknesses and work on what they can do best.  And account for what they can’t do with schemes.  

Of course if a player like Pryor just doesn’t have the talent, you can’t make silk out of a …. 

That means the players aren’t doing what they are being coached to do which can sometimes be caused due to lack of talent which is what I think the issue with the line.  Raimann is going to have to take his lumps but isn’t ready yet, Ryan Kelly has regressed in a big way, Nelson is playing below expectations, and Pryor shouldn’t be on the roster let alone starting, the problem is the Colts don’t really have anyone much better on the bench.  The only one who has performed fairly well is Smith but one doesn’t make a line and people seem to jump on any mistake he makes.  

Your last point is spot on, you can have the best oline coach in the history of football but he can’t snap his fingers and make untalented players good enough.  

14 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

How’s this for a storyline. Matty Ice returns and gives us a playoff run 

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Would be hilarious 

Wouldn't be unheard of, inn fact it kinda happened last year for this weekend's opponent when Jon Gruden resigned (was fired) on October 11th, and Special teams coach Rich Bisaccia was named as interim coach and led the Raiders to the postseason, aided by chokes by both us & the Chargers (coach) in the final 2 games of the regular season.

12 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Maybe our offense can finally get going this week???

Raiders place LB Divine Deablo on injured reserve

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/raiders-place-lb-divine-deablo-on-ir-sign-veteran-cb/ar-AA13RY4J

Deablo is the Raiders leading tackler with 73 tackles and one pass deflection while playing nearly every defensive snap over the start of the season.

No other player on the Raiders defense has 50 tackles this season, and as it showed last Sunday, his presence will be missed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raiders Starting LB Blake Martinez Abruptly Retires From NFL

https://heavy.com/sports/las-vegas-raiders/blake-martinez-retires/

The team placed Hunter Renfrow and Darren Waller on Injured Reserve but that wasn’t the last of the bad news for the Raiders. Linebacker Blake Martinez decided to announce his retirement in the middle of the season despite being healthy...

With the Raiders suffering injuries at linebacker, Martinez had earned a starting role. He played 91% of the team’s defensive snaps last week against the Jaguars. This is a blow for the team as the defense has struggled all season. The former tackles leader joined the team after the season started but had familiarity with Patrick Graham’s defense, which led to him taking snaps early. For whatever reason, he decided he didn’t want to continue forward with the team. It’s certainly a concerning sign that a key player would retire with half the season left to be played. It’ll be interesting to see how the Raiders play against a disaster of a Colts team on Sunday...

...There’s a strong chance the Raiders will have to rely on undrafted rookies Luke Masterson and Darien Butler on Sunday against the Colts. They both had good training camps but there’s a reason they haven’t played a ton of snaps this season...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martinez Making a Ton of Money off Pokemon Cards

Martinez has been one of the most productive linebackers in the NFL in his career and is just 28 years old. It’s certainly odd for him to retire at such a young age. It could be due to the fact that he’s making money in other ways. The linebacker has made over a million dollars just by selling Pokemon cards.

The Colts tanking? Me thinks LVR is actually the team that is tanking! O.o

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Best time is during year 1. 

If they both wanted to move on from Derek Carr, I would agree. Unless the GM & HC were in agreement on it though, I doubt if that would be the strategy as it could make both of their seats pretty hot next season.

I do recall that when the Broncos hired McDaniels, one of the 1st things he wanted to do was trade then Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler for Patriots backup Matt Cassell, infuriating Cutler to the point that he forced his trade to the Bears.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That means the players aren’t doing what they are being coached to do which can sometimes be caused due to lack of talent which is what I think the issue with the line.  Raimann is going to have to take his lumps but isn’t ready yet, Ryan Kelly has regressed in a big way, Nelson is playing below expectations, and Pryor shouldn’t be on the roster let alone starting, the problem is the Colts don’t really have anyone much better on the bench.  The only one who has performed fairly well is Smith but one doesn’t make a line and people seem to jump on any mistake he makes.  

Your last point is spot on, you can have the best oline coach in the history of football but he can’t snap his fingers and make untalented players good enough.  

I disagree with your main point. I have taken less talented players, smaller players, inexperienced players, and walked all over a much more talented defense than the talent I had on offense. It is all about having 11 guys on the field each doing their job, and executing. 

I completely understand where Jeff Saturday is coming from. I can feel what he is talking about. 

Bottom line, if the players can be in the correct place, at the correct time, then it doesn't matter how talented they are.

Think about a play developing... If you game plan against a team correctly, and you know where their exceptional players are going to be... You can take them out of the game. It is the staple of Bill Belichick's approach to football. Remember his mantra to his team, "Do your job". That's why even though I can't stand him, I still respect him as a football coach. That is why he has been so successful. He will find matchups that work for him, and he will exploit them. 

Execution is more important than anything. This goes all the way back to Vince Lombardi. 

7 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If they both wanted to move on from Derek Carr, I would agree. Unless the GM & HC were in agreement on it though, I doubt if that would be the strategy as it could make both of their seats pretty hot next season.

I do recall that when the Broncos hired McDaniels, one of the 1st things he wanted to do was trade then Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler for Patriots backup Matt Cassell, infuriating Cutler to the point that he forced his trade to the Bears.

I thought McD would either fall in love with Carr, or quickly cut bait and go the draft path. Wasn't sure what McD would do..... 

At this point, still don't know about Carr, but I do think they are now playing for next year. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I thought McD would either fall in love with Carr, or quickly cut bait and go the draft path. Wasn't sure what McD would do..... 

At this point, still don't know about Carr, but I do think they are now playing for next year. 

Let's hope that's the case this weekend, I'd like to see us string together a few wins and make this season more interesting.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Let's hope that's the case this weekend, I'd like to see us string together a few wins and make this season more interesting.

Yup. But in terms "tanking"... It's hard to say.

Coaches/GMs can make decisions to support a tank, but some players always play to win. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. But in terms "tanking"... It's hard to say.

Coaches/GMs can make decisions to support a tank, but some players always play to win. 

True, as a player you never know how long you've got and even if you're not part of a team's future plans in the event of a rebuild, you can still show your value to the other 31 teams in the league.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

True, as a player you never know how long you've got and even if you're not part of a team's future plans in the event of a rebuild, you can still show your value to the other 31 teams in the league.

Yup.. Unless you have super duper guarantees, you're always auditioning... 

9 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

And just saw an ESPN article.. Says LVR will finish with min 8 wins... 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34986133/nfl-midseason-predictions-2022-forecasting-playoff-teams-super-bowl-picks-breakouts-record-breakers

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Interesting article, especially the last 2 predictions in which Sal Paolantonio & Seth Wickersham offer differing opinions about who will be the AFC/SB Champion.

Archived