Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - Practice report (LVR)

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Interesting article, especially the last 2 predictions inn which Sal Paolantonio & Seth Wickersham offer differing opinions about who will be the AFC/SB Champion.

I have no clue. Strange year for both the AFC and NFC... 

I like KC too. But I wouldn't surprised with the Bills, and not shocked LAC went on a run.... 

And NFC is still a toss up. And I question Philly's realness, and schedule. 31st SoS.... and remaining is 32nd... Early playoff out? They are good, but not great IMO... 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I suspect perhaps... a 6th OL in our future... lol... 

Unbalanced lines could help (Pinter at 6), and/or a linebacker to use as a FB/HB... I have been combing through them to see what kind of background they each have. 

Funk gets moved to the active roster, if we are short on runners. People talk highly about his athleticism, but he is really a north and south runner. Problem is, how much of the offense can he possibly know in this short of time. 

The rest of the NFL really needs to be paying attention to what Greg Roman is doing in Baltimore. The league could be moving more towards a version of his medieval offense. To Roman's credit, he did not make his personnel fit his offense. Instead, he developed an offense to fit his personnel. And the results are starting to come to fruition. He dared to go where no one else would, and might become the pioneer of future NFL offenses. 

8 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Both teams are tanking. Should be interesting.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Gonna be a great game, two teams that desperately want to lose! :headspin:

I don't think that Saturday wants to tank, if he wants any credibility either in the locker room or with Mr Irsay, he's got to get this team to show some fight and win a few games to be taken seriously by anyone.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Or a linebacker to use as a FB/HB... I have been combing through them to see what kind of background they each have. 

Funk gets moved to the active roster, if we are short on runners. People talk highly about his athleticism, but he is really a north and south runner. Problem is, how much of the offense can he possibly know in this short of time. 

The rest of the NFL really needs to be paying attention to what Greg Roman is doing in Baltimore. The league could be moving more towards a medieval offense. To Roman's credit, he did not try to make his personnel to fit his offense. Instead, he developed an offense to fit is personnel. And the results are starting to come to fruition. He dared to go where no one else would, and might become the pioneer of future NFL offenses. 

The late Steve Hendrickson played that role for the Chargers in the early to mid 90's, he was an undersized LB who was used mostly as a short yardage RB and in 1993 he scored a touchdown in a playoff game against the Chiefs.

Just now, Lancer1 said:

The late Steve Hendrickson played that role for the Chargers in the early to mid 90's, he was an undersized LB who was used mostly as a short yardage RB and in 1993 he scored a touchdown in a playoff game against the Chiefs.

Yeah. We have seen a lot of team's use defensive players in bigger packages on offense. It is not something that happens every week, but more often than people think... Linebackers are very versatile. I have witnessed this several times. One example; I remember sitting in the front row of LUKE a few years back for a Colts training camp practice. I looked down at the special teams unit and saw Luke Rhodes long snapping... The rest is history, and he found his niche. 

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Unbalanced lines could help (Pinter at 6), and/or a linebacker to use as a FB/HB... I have been combing through them to see what kind of background they each have. 

The rest of the NFL really needs to be paying attention to what Greg Roman is doing in Baltimore. The league could be moving more towards a version of his medieval offense. To Roman's credit, he did not try to make his personnel to fit his offense. Instead, he developed an offense to fit is personnel. And the results are starting to come to fruition. He dared to go where no one else would, and might become the pioneer of future NFL offenses. 

Pinter or Raimann at the 6th OL. Not just this week. 

IMO, they will likely make shifts next week, and Raimann is still too weak right now for LT... 

None of the RBs (IMO) are FB size. So maybe JoJo Domann (LB at FB), or one of the PS TEs... Likely will need to call up a TE anyway. 

Agree with Baltimore... Frank forced fit... Hated it. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Pinter or Raimann at the 6th OL. Not just this week. 

IMO, they will likely make shifts next week, and Raimann is still too weak right now for LT... 

None of the RBs (IMO) are FB size. So maybe JoJo Domann (LB at FB), or one of the PS TEs... Likely will need to call up a TE anyway. 

Agree with Baltimore... Frank forced fit... Hated it. 

Good post. 

I like Raimann at left tackle, because he has to learn... We have to take the good with the bad there... Because he is the only true left tackle on this 53 man roster... He just needs the to see the field so he can learn. 

You are thinking the way I am with those linebackers... I think we are going to see some interesting offensive formations on Sunday. If so, then it's going to surprise some folks. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Good post. 

I like Raimann at left tackle, because he has to learn... We have to take the good with the bad there... Because he is the only true left tackle on this 53 man roster... He just needs the to see the field so he can learn. 

You are thinking the way I am with those linebackers... I think we are going to see some interesting offensive formations on Sunday. If so, then it's going to surprise some folks. 

IMO, it's all about S&C for Raimann.. 4 steaks, 4 chickens, dozen eggs, and 4x protein shakes to wash 4 sacks of white castles each day.. and live the weight room.. But experience is not enough right now. 

Here's my OL lineup for now......

L6 OL      /     LT     /    LG    /      C     /   RG    /   RT      / R6 OL

Raimann / Pryor   / Nelson / PInter  / Ryan   / Smith   / DKelly

Not play 7 OLs.. Saying run 6 OLs, but just rotate L to R.... Since Mo and Woods are gimpy, go with Big WRs short side and slot (on either side), and speed (Parris) far side at Z.. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, it's all about S&C for Raimann.. 4 steaks, 4 chickens, dozen eggs, and 4x protein shakes to wash 4 sacks of white castles each day.. and live the weight room.. But experience is not enough right now. 

Here's my OL lineup for now......

L6 OL      /     LT     /    LG    /      C     /   RG    /   RT      / R6 OL

Raimann / Pryor   / Nelson / PInter  / Ryan   / Smith   / DKelly

Not play 7 OLs.. Saying run 6 OLs, but just rotate L to R.... Since Mo and Woods are gimpy, go with Big WRs short side and slot (on either side), and speed (Parris) far side at Z.. 

I noticed that you have Pinter at center and Ryan at right guard. This is something I have mentioned we should consider too. My reasoning is that Pinter is better at center than he is at right guard, and I would be interested to see Ryan at right guard. The tradeoff might be worth it. 

Just mostly wondering where you came up with that Pinter/Kelly swap, because if we both reached that conclusion on our own... That's interesting. 

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I noticed that you have Pinter at center and Ryan at right guard. This is something I have mentioned we should consider too. My reasoning is that Pinter is better at center than he is at right guard, and I would be interested to see Ryan at right guard. The tradeoff might be worth it. 

Just mostly wondering where you came up with that Pinter/Kelly swap, because if we both reached that conclusion on our own... That's interesting. 

Several wanted to see Pinter/Kelly swapped for a while.

And wouldn't mind seeing DKelly at RG too. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Several wanted to see Pinter/Kelly swapped for a while.

And wouldn't mind seeing DKelly at RG too. 

I have not seen/read anyone on this board talk about that... But I only skim-read about 15% of the threads on this board, so I could have easily missed someone else mentioning it. 

Pinter's play drops tremendously when we move him to right guard, but he fills in exceptionally well at center. If Kelly can play well at right guard then it is good tradeoff. 

I am not usually a fan of shaking up the offensive line too much, but we are way past that now. We need to find the right combination that can run block well... Establish an identity to run the ball, and build from there. If it takes six or even seven offensive linemen, then that is what it takes. We need to open some holes for our backs to get through. Then defenses will start respecting us. Right now, there is not a defense in the NFL that respects the Colts offense. 

43 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I also posted about this idea! (great minds ...) My reasoning was that Saturday hinted at this when he told the story about him in his playing days where he agreed to give up C (for the good of the team) and switch to G for a game because of personnel issues.

5 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I also posted about this idea! (great minds ...) My reasoning was that Saturday hinted at this when he told the story about him in his playing days where he agreed to give up C (for the good of the team) and switch to G for a game because of personnel issues.

I must have missed your post. I would have certainly responded in agreement. 

My initial gut reaction... You know after the shock of what went down... Jeff Saturday is a run the ball kind of guy. And then I thought about what I would do if I was in his shoes. You have to start over. Establish a ground game and build from there. My mind went to the idea of smashmouth football, and so I created a thread about my thoughts. It all fits together. 

It is getting to the point where, if we don't run a smashmouth offense on Sunday, then that would shock me. This whole thing is fitting together like a puzzle.

https://1075thefan.com/87417/colts-friday-notebook-shaquille-leonard-suffers-setback-undergoes-mri/

Tight end depth is going to be tested a bit this week.

Rookie Jelani Woods (shoulder) is OUT. Mo Alie-Cox missed the first two days of practice this week, but did return on Friday. He’s got a chance to play on Sunday. Kylen Granson is the only fully healthy tight end on the 53-man roster. Could we see a tight end call-up from the practice squad on Saturday?

Looking at our Practice Squad we have three TEs

Nikola Kalinic:  (played in CFL / sounds like a very good blocker)

Jalen Wydermyer: (rookie from Texas A&M / sounds like a better receiver than blocker. He holds the school record among tight ends in career receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches)

Darrell Daniels: (just signed on Wednesday. 6 year vet. Former Colt during 2017 season)

Interesting article on Kalinic...

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/14/tennessee-titans-nikola-kalinic-tryout/

A former second-round pick in the 2019 CFL draft, Kalinic has played in 30 games over two seasons for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, reeling in 23 receptions for 192 yards and two touchdowns.

The six-foot-four, 255-pound native of Toronto is an impact blocker and plays consistently on special teams, notching eight special teams tackles in 2021. He has experience at slotback, tight end, H-back, and fullback and has appeared in back-to-back Grey Cup games.

44 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Interesting article on Kalinic...

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/14/tennessee-titans-nikola-kalinic-tryout/

A former second-round pick in the 2019 CFL draft, Kalinic has played in 30 games over two seasons for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, reeling in 23 receptions for 192 yards and two touchdowns.

The six-foot-four, 255-pound native of Toronto is an impact blocker and plays consistently on special teams, notching eight special teams tackles in 2021. He has experience at slotback, tight end, H-back, and fullback and has appeared in back-to-back Grey Cup games.

This is the guy I am keeping my eye on... He might help our running game. 

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Because he has guys on his payroll to do these things. It’s just odd in my opinion. 

He likes spotlight. Attention... 

And maybe the next media headline is.... 

"Most egregious thing I can ever remember happening. Irsay is not an experienced Social Media user. There are so many better candidates to Tweet simply messages. "

Just fun'n... Maybe Joe Thomas has another opinion? lol... 

Archived