Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck 'doesn't have any weaknesses,' Warren Moon says

Restored

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82878e99/article/andrew-luck-doesnt-have-any-weaknesses-warren-moon-says

While unnamed scouts have been coming out of the woodwork to criticize some of the 2012 NFL Draft's top prospects like Robert Griffin III and Matt Kalil, Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon has come out on the record with nothing but positive things to say about Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

The Colts are getting a player that "doesn't have any weaknesses," Moon told CBS Sports. "None."

Last year, the Hall of Fame quarterback predicted that Cam Newton would shock the NFL. This year, he’s picking Luck.

"What I mean is does he have that John Elway arm? No, but it's really close," Moon said. "Does he have that Mike Vick 4.4 speed? No, but he runs a 4.6. Is he going to be running over people every play like Tim Tebow? No, but he's just as tough. He does all those things and that makes him very dangerous."

The Colts "confirmed" Thursday that Andrew Luck will be taken as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

But Moon did note that Luck was going to a franchise with very little to offer the rookie quarterback.

"Andrew is going to a team that basically has nothing around him," Moon said, "while RG3 will go to a more talented franchise. It will take more time for Andrew to win than RG3 but both eventually are going to win a lot of games."

Whats funny is a buddy of mine on another forum (not a Colts fan) told me this a while ago:

Hey Warren Moon was the only one that predicted Cam Newton to have all this success in one season. So if he predicts Luck to have a break out rookie season, I'd take his word for it lol

"Andrew is going to a team that basically has nothing around him," Moon said, "while RG3 will go to a more talented franchise. It will take more time for Andrew to win than RG3 but both eventually are going to win a lot of games."

Considering the Redskins are.....well, the Redskins......I would probably still be willing to bet that the Colts will have a better measure of success over the next 12-15 yrs..

Considering the Redskins are.....well, the Redskins......I would probably still be willing to bet that the Colts will have a better measure of success over the next 12-15 yrs..

Agree. Trusting the Redskins is like trusting the drunk guy with a wedding ring at the bar hitting on you.

That's what happens when your franchise becomes the type that changes just about every 5 years. The kind of franchise that can't get good quick enough but always seems to stay in a perpetual funk. Ironic.

i always think of that 1992 playoff game vs the bills when i think of warren moon. 35-3 oilers in the 3rd quarter, but the bills came back and won

450px-Halo3LaunchInSeattle_WarrenMoon.jpg

AAARRGGHH....worse game in NFL history. lol I was a huge Oilers and Warren Moon fan at the time so that game was easily the biggest disappointment in my early NFL fandom....I was 15 at the time. :) I definitely give credit to Buffalo's defense for shutting down the powerful Oilers offense in the second half, but the defensive collapse was on play calling...something Oiler's fans experienced several times in the late 80's and early 90's.

:)

would you guys be suprised if luck took us deep in the playoffs this year similar to what elway did his early years?

I don't see us being in the playoffs but I think that alot of people will be surprised at how good we are (hopefully it looks good in the win/loss category too)

Reggie will be big for us on the offensive side of the ball this year :)

would you guys be suprised if luck took us deep in the playoffs this year similar to what elway did his early years?

Ben Roethlisberger had an opening 10-0 (or whatever) record, so I don't see why Luck couldn't do the same... Although the Steelers were a much better team :D.

i hate how the media keeps saying theres nothing here for andrew luck when its not true.

Yeah that's irritating. I think the OL and WR core (after the draft) should be decent at the very least. If the OL is remotely good, who knows how good DB and Carter could do in terms of running the ball, the sky is the limit. I'm kind of worried about the TE spot but atleast we have a feasible blocking TE and the upcoming draft. Some people actually act like he has NOTHING.

We have plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball and honestly if Donnie can stay healthy, I think he's going to light it up along with Reggie and Collie + insert draft pick WR here.

These guys get paid to play ball, that's what they do and I see heaps of potential on the offensive side right now let alone after the draft. Next year is when it should get very nice w all the cap room, FA and draft.

Shocked would be more like it and the rest of the NFL would want to start an investigation for point fixing and throwing the game. Realistically, we've got a few years of suuuuuuck ahead of us.

And the Colts are basically an expansion team this year, a few aging vets, some journeyman players and a few hot draft picks to count on.

Naaawww man, expansion teams don't have Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Anthony Costanzo, Samson Satele, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Antione Bethea, Pat Angerer and Jerraud Powers. This team definitely has talent. I do agree it might take 3 year max to get back into a playoff caliber team but I can't buy into the whole expansion team stuff.

Colts had some darn close games last year with a horrendous coaching staff. I think the Colts had 6 games they lost by 8 points or less + won 2 games. They should be fairly better this year.

We might want to wait until the final roster is done until we really start doubting them, but to each his own. We all have different opinions, I just primarily try to keep optimistic.

That being said THIS year I would be flippin excited if the Colts won 6-8 games.

Naaawww man, expansion teams don't have Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Anthony Costanzo, Samson Satele, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Antione Bethea, Pat Angerer and Jerraud Powers. This team definitely has talent. I do agree it might take 3 year max to get back into a playoff caliber team but I can't buy into the whole expansion team stuff.

Colts had some darn close games last year with a horrendous coaching staff. I think the Colts had 6 games they lost by 8 points or less + won 2 games. They should be fairly better this year.

We might want to wait until the final roster is done until we really start doubting them, but to each his own. We all have different opinions, I just primarily try to keep optimistic.

That being said THIS year I would be flippin excited if the Colts won 6-8 games.

With the exception of Andrew Luck, the names you listed are exactly what you find on an expansion team. Good quality players but no real headliners with the fans expecting a few lean years before getting to the playoffs.

With the exception of Andrew Luck, the names you listed are exactly what you find on an expansion team. Good quality players but no real headliners with the fans expecting a few lean years before getting to the playoffs.

Ah, I guess we will just agree to disagree. I would consider guys like Wayne, Freeney, Bethea and Mathis headliners. I guess we really can't say Luck yet because we have no idea how he will fair. It doesn't really take a team of superstars to win, don't get me wrong it definitely helps though. Bengals really don't have superstars, neither do the Broncos, heck the Pats just have Brady and Welker. It takes solid players and depth which I do agree we definitely are lacking. I feel though next year we can fill most of the holes, hopefully.

Shocked would be more like it and the rest of the NFL would want to start an investigation for point fixing and throwing the game. Realistically, we've got a few years of suuuuuuck ahead of us.

i just have this weird feeling that luck will take us to multiple sb's sorta like what elway did with a bad broncos team. we might not win them at 1st but as luck gets better he'll win a few. elway went to 5 sb's won 2, i just think luck will carry us to 6 sb's win 4. im only 23 i didn't watch elway play only on youtube but my dad has and he said luck reminds him of a elway/manning hybrid.

i just have this weird feeling that luck will take us to multiple sb's sorta like what elway did with a bad broncos team. we might not win them at 1st but as luck gets better he'll win a few. elway went to 5 sb's won 2, i just think luck will carry us to 6 sb's win 4. im only 23 i didn't watch elway play only on youtube but my dad has and he said luck reminds him of a elway/manning hybrid.

I'm going to wait until Luck takes a few NFL snaps before I start predicting Super Bowls, but optimism is a way of life! You never know.....

You could be right. A few lean years might actually be a good thing as it would provide better draft picks for the rebuild. I am not expecting us to do too much this year...I am thinking 5-11. If Luck takes us to the playoffs his first year I'd be absolutely floored. However, the cubbard isn't exactly bear either. The truth probably lies somewhere between what you and Malakai are saying.

Ah, I guess we will just agree to disagree. I would consider guys like Wayne, Freeney, Bethea and Mathis headliners. I guess we really can't say Luck yet because we have no idea how he will fair. It doesn't really take a team of superstars to win, don't get me wrong it definitely helps though. Bengals really don't have superstars, neither do the Broncos, heck the Pats just have Brady and Welker. It takes solid players and depth which I do agree we definitely are lacking. I feel though next year we can fill most of the holes, hopefully.

Completely agree here man. I like the example of the Patriots. They really don't have a team full of superstars yet find a way to be good. We have some good solid pieces right now. While I believe we still are a few pieces away from a Super Bowl team, we aren't that far away from being a good/playoff team.

Last year we just happen to go from first to worst in arguably the most important position in the game while having an insane amount of injuries. While injuries aren't an excuse, in today's league if you don't have depth even into the 3rd and 4th strings, it'll show. I hate to call last year the epitomy of all things bad but it really couldn't of been a worse year in terms of injuries and horrible QB play.

The Broncos won 9 games in Elways rookie year and made the playoffs as a wild card team.. I dont see that happening for us this year.. But i hope im wrong

alot of people have underestimated the redskins because of their inability to finish out games but keep in mind last season they beat the superbowl champs twice, should have beaten dallas both times, almost beat philly,NE, san fran, minnesota and should not have lost to Miami that right there is 9 wins they should have had. most of those losses have come to poor QB play. their run game is good with Helu and Royster, they have good WR's. they need that QB to get them over that hump. and they will get that QB. i can see them winning 9 or 10 games next season IMO.

alot of people have underestimated the redskins because of their inability to finish out games but keep in mind last season they beat the superbowl champs twice, should have beaten dallas both times, almost beat philly,NE, san fran, minnesota and should not have lost to Miami that right there is 9 wins they should have had. most of those losses have come to poor QB play. their run game is good with Helu and Royster, they have good WR's. they need that QB to get them over that hump. and they will get that QB. i can see them winning 9 or 10 games next season IMO.

That was kind of my point though, The Redskins always find a way of messing things up. It just part of their DNA.

As Jules said, Moon was one of the few people who said Cam would do well. If I remember correctly, Moon also said Blackmon is like Dez Bryant, except he is more mature and smarter

Yep, he is one of the only ones, if not the only one who predicted the success of Cam last year.

And yes he did say that about Blackmon in comparison to Bryant.

I had to bump this thread up. The draft is nearing and I am excited. Let us get excited and welcome Andrew! Regardless of any predictions of him in the NFL I genuinely LIKE Andrew Luck too and hope he does well. He seems like such a sweet and smart kid to me. He seems easy to root for.

http://www.nfl.com/d...arren-moon-says

While unnamed scouts have been coming out of the woodwork to criticize some of the 2012 NFL Draft's top prospects like Robert Griffin III and Matt Kalil, Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon has come out on the record with nothing but positive things to say about Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

The Colts are getting a player that "doesn't have any weaknesses," Moon told CBS Sports. "None."

Last year, the Hall of Fame quarterback predicted that Cam Newton would shock the NFL. This year, he’s picking Luck.

"What I mean is does he have that John Elway arm? No, but it's really close," Moon said. "Does he have that Mike Vick 4.4 speed? No, but he runs a 4.6. Is he going to be running over people every play like Tim Tebow? No, but he's just as tough. He does all those things and that makes him very dangerous."

The Colts "confirmed" Thursday that Andrew Luck will be taken as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

But Moon did note that Luck was going to a franchise with very little to offer the rookie quarterback.

P Garcan as the teams #1 WR... Enough said...

Ben Roethlisberger had an opening 10-0 (or whatever) record, so I don't see why Luck couldn't do the same... Although the Steelers were a much better team :D.

True, the Steelers' defense and running game were big factors...the same formula the current staff is attempting to build here. If the new 3-4 defense catches on quickly, it is not beyond possibility that the Colts could be a factor in the division. It's not like we're in the NFC South or AFC North...

http://www.nfl.com/d...arren-moon-says

......you, and moon are right on both accounts. luck may not have any weaknesses himself, but he'll have plenty of problems with a patchwork OL and no serious running game to take some of the pressure off. if we "force" luck to chuck it 30-40 times a game, you'll see the classic reacurrence of colts' 3 and outs......because we can't control the line of scrimmage, the clock, and/or anything else. you build championship calibur OL and DL's thru the draft, not the unemployment line. it ALL starts, or ends, up front.

I do think that Luck will end with more rings than Peyton - the Colts years are not on Peyton, but the Bronco years will be (and I hope he wins 1 or 2 there).

In the "new era" Colts, at least Luck has a team that is paying attention and trying..... best wishes to the Colts as a team.

......you, and moon are right on both accounts. luck may not have any weaknesses himself, but he'll have plenty of problems with a patchwork OL and no serious running game to take some of the pressure off. if we "force" luck to chuck it 30-40 times a game, you'll see the classic reacurrence of colts' 3 and outs......because we can't control the line of scrimmage, the clock, and/or anything else. you build championship calibur OL and DL's thru the draft, not the unemployment line. it ALL starts, or ends, up front.

Honestly, I believe that a lot of the 3 and outs last year was from horrendous QB play more than anything.

Luck is not the way to go we need to drop Luck and go after Griffin he will be the better pick people

Whats funny is a buddy of mine on another forum (not a Colts fan) told me this a while ago:

Luck is not a good pick Griffin can run and do it all Luck will be gone in a season why not take the right man GRIFFIN III