Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle and Right Guard

coltsfeva

I’m wondering how these two spots will play out this year: Kevin Bowen mentioned how Pryor struggles with speed guys and Pinter struggles with bull rushers.

I think that’s pretty accurate, but that doesn’t mean they can’t improve on those deficiencies.

If they continue to struggle and Raimann can improve enough to start at LT (he looked pretty good today), they can move Pryor to RG (which may be his natural position). 
       It wouldn’t surprise me if they did this, at some point or if they found some O lineman off the wire but I sure hope they figure it out.

8 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m wondering how these two spots will play out this year: Kevin Bowen mentioned how Pryor struggles with speed guys and Pinter struggles with bull rushers.

I think that’s pretty accurate, but that doesn’t mean they can’t improve on those deficiencies.

If they continue to struggle and Raimann can improve enough to start at LT (he looked pretty good today), they can move Pryor to RG (which may be his natural position). 
       It wouldn’t surprise me if they did this, at some point or if they found some O lineman off the wire but I sure hope they figure it out.

It would be hard during the season bc Pryor lost weight to play LT. He’d need to beef back up to play RG. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

please see my topic "my concern" it is a problem going into the season with this oline. we will struggle to run the ball even with JT and it also looks like there will be trouble in pass protection (it only takes one up the middle to mess up those timing plays)

52 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

His still listed at 332..watch talkin bout Willis?willis Whatcha GIF

He's listed at 332.   But back around May he did an interview with the Colts media crew.   Said then he had already lost 10-15 pounds and planned to lose 5 more.  Sounds like his goal is to get down to 310-315-ish. 

1 hour ago, ruf said:

please see my topic "my concern" it is a problem going into the season with this oline. we will struggle to run the ball even with JT and it also looks like there will be trouble in pass protection (it only takes one up the middle to mess up those timing plays)

Raimann looked really solid tonight (I know it was against the third stringers). But I think they’ll address the issue, some how.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

His still listed at 332..watch talkin bout Willis?willis Whatcha GIF

Rookie mistake to assume their listed weight is accurate haha 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's listed at 332.   But back around May he did an interview with the Colts media crew.   Said then he had already lost 10-15 pounds and planned to lose 5 more.  Sounds like his goal is to get down to 310-315-ish. 

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

That’s assuming Pryor can beat Pinter out at guard. For some reason I’m thinking Pryor was weakest on the inside last year and performed much better at the tackle positions. 

This line needs time. Until the regular season is well underway we won’t know how they will be as an unit.  The DLs get better each week through week 5. Let’s see if the OL improves as well. 

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

It would be hard during the season bc Pryor lost weight to play LT. He’d need to beef back up to play RG. 

Pretty sure Pryor was listed at 330 last year.

In a recent article he admitted balloning to 360 after last season and boasted about having "lost weight" getting down to to 343 here in camp. 

I know i was hoping he would get down to below 320 by hard work with more lean muscle mass. At his current size maintaining blocks, and finding defenders at the second level, and out in space will find him being below average. Smith is below average against speed rushers so our offense will see a lot of tight coverage and 8 in the box. JMO

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That’s assuming Pryor can beat Pinter out at guard. For some reason I’m thinking Pryor was weakest on the inside last year and performed much better at the tackle positions. 

This line needs time. Until the regular season is well underway we won’t know how they will be as an unit.  The DLs get better each week through week 5. Let’s see if the OL improves as well. 

Pryor’s worst game was at Guard last year.  

54 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well there you have it folks

At least this hopefully means he'll play all of first half vs. the Bucs. More time for the Oline to gel. Not sure he got the job because he was good or great - he had no real competition.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Looks like all the starters are going to play at least a half. I don’t expect Taylor to play though.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Taylor won't play. 

All of Indy and fantasy owners would riot haha

35 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

At least this hopefully means he'll play all of first half vs. the Bucs. More time for the Oline to gel. Not sure he got the job because he was good or great - he had no real competition.

Safe to say his past performance earned him that WHOPPING $6M one year contract and the starting job to lose. With Raimann and vet Kelly CB did establish a plan B and C.  We have concerns except for Q.

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

I need to see Pryor and Pinter in a few real games before I think we have a problem. LT was gonna be issue. It's not something you fix so easily. Im glad people are starting to realize how good AC was

AC was tragically underrated on Colts.com lol.  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

It takes some time to get the speed down at LT

IMHO just Pryor needs some snaps

If we can have health,,,,,,  We will be ok

At the risk of sounding like I’m waffling, this could be how it plays out. Ngakue said Pryor has ability and Pryor did okay against him, last year. I hope you are right and both Pryor and Pinter develop to solidify the line.

Hungry Food GIF

On 8/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, coltsfeva said:

When you consider what Jax and TN have on their DL going up against these weaknesses, picking Indy to win is a head scratcher.  

Anyone who has concerns about this offensive line, go talk to a steeler fan. On steeler talk this morning on radio station wdve they are baffled how the line that has been so bad the last 3 years is now counting on players to replace guys they couldn't beat out last year. It was hilarious. But then again the steelers with that God awful line these past 3 years(actually even longer) still win and make the playoffs, go figure. What's really funny a lot of steeler fans want Trubisky to start early to give the line more time to try to get better so Pickett doesn't get killed. Colt line is fine, more than good enough. Go Colts!

21 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He grades near ELITE as a run blocker. And will get beat often by speed rushers. IF, Pinter gets driven back by bull rushes and Smith gets beat... it will be interesting.

For what it’s worth….   Just checked PFF…

In 2021 Smith allowed 4 sacks and had a pass blocking grade of about 71.   And he did this with a bad foot. 

In 2020 Smith allowed 0 sacks (zero) and had a pass blocking grade of about 75. 

In 2019, Smith had his worst season, allowing 7 sacks with a PB grade of 68.   And that was his first full year and he had JB at QB. 

Yes, Smith is clearly a much better run blocker.  Consistently grades in the 80s.   But he’s not a bad pass blocker and his grades and his contract tell you what the Colts think of him.    A year from now, if Pryor moves to the right side,  it’ll be to play guard, not tackle.  Smith will likely stay right where he is.  

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   Just checked PFF…

In 2021 Smith allowed 4 sacks and had a pass blocking grade of about 71.   And he did this with a bad foot. 

In 2020 Smith allowed 0 sacks (zero) and had a pass blocking grade of about 75. 

In 2019, Smith had his worst season, allowing 7 sacks with a PB grade of 68.   And that was his first full year and he had JB at QB. 

Yes, Smith is clearly a much better run blocker.  Consistently grades in the 80s.   But he’s not a bad pass blocker and his grades and his contract tell you what the Colts think of him.    A year from now, if Pryor moves to the right side,  it’ll be to play guard, not tackle.  Smith will likely stay right where he is.  

RIVERS is the Only reason he gave up 0 sacks. Left on an island he will get beat, likely a few times a game. Ryan will be aware. Thats show business!

Archived