Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curious why we don't sign CBs for depth

mirobi48

Gilmore Moore and Rodgers will be the go to starters. Then Facyson played a lot with Bradley last year. We also have Marvell Tell back. That's 5. Also Dabo seems to be a project the colts like

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Gilmore Moore and Rodgers will be the good to starters. Then Facyson played a lot with Bradley last year. We also have Marvell Tell back. That's 5. Also Dabo seems to be a project the colts like

Gillmore is a stud and Moore is a bit hot and cold but when on....I think Facyson and Rodgers is a battle, I kinda favor Facyson but think both see plenty of playing time. Some 'experts' are high on Brown. Chesley was rough last season as was Wilcox but both are young. Tell Im really not sure what to think, may be a better player at Safety but we are set there,think he may not make the squad. Dallis Flowers may be the surprise keeper back end of the roster type.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/2022-nfl-draft-player-profiles-pittsburg-state-cb-dallis-flowers/

2 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Instead we keep signing RBs. The Colts play a lot of good QBs/WRs coming up in these season. Baltimore just signed Fuller. Just wondering if someone had a good answer I can't figure it out

The RBs are just easy, low dollar, camp body signs for the most part. We've got our 1-2 firmly entrenched, and just looking to round things out and get the best depth possible. It's just easier to rotate camp type and UDFA RBs in and out. Their fungible (position) and there's a lot available. 

As far as CB is concerned, we have 4 likely locked in, and will keep 5-6. I'm assuming it will be 6 like last year, so 2 spots likely open, and several guys to look at already on the roster. That doesn't mean we won't bring in others, but I'm guessing if we do bring in others (during camp) it'll be more or less just shuffling camp bodies in and out. I could however see us bringing in a guy that sticks when cut downs start to occur. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Gilmore Moore and Rodgers will be the go to starters. Then Facyson played a lot with Bradley last year. We also have Marvell Tell back. That's 5. Also Dabo seems to be a project the colts like

IMO, Gilmore, More, Rodgers, and Facyson are the locks. We'll keep one or two more, likely 2. I wouldn't assume Tell is the 5th at all. I'd say Chesley probably has the leg up for 5th spot, and Tell is competing with guys like Dabo and Redmond (and the others) for the 6th. Like I said above, I could see us grabbing someone late during cutdowns that could upset those last couple spots. 

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Gillmore is a stud and Moore is a bit hot and cold but when on....I think Facyson and Rodgers is a battle, I kinda favor Facyson but think both see plenty of playing time. Some 'experts' are high on Brown. Chesley was rough last season as was Wilcox but both are young. Tell Im really not sure what to think, may be a better player at Safety but we are set there,think he may not make the squad. Dallis Flowers may be the surprise keeper back end of the roster type.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/2022-nfl-draft-player-profiles-pittsburg-state-cb-dallis-flowers/

IMO, if we're playing C3, Rodgers will get most snaps, and Facyson will be first off the bench. I could see Facyson starting vs "bigs", but Rodgers vs most Zs and slots. Facyson just doesn't really have the speed to match up vs fast WRs deep. He's good pressing at the LOS though. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see Bradley try to move Tell back to S given we'll be playing more C3. Not suggesting he'll stick, even there though. 

Flowers is an interesting small school prospect. Given his traits and potential on STs, him getting the last CB spot would not shock me. He'll need time though IMO to do anything outside of STs. 

6 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

Instead we keep signing RBs. The Colts play a lot of good QBs/WRs coming up in these season. Baltimore just signed Fuller. Just wondering if someone had a good answer I can't figure it out

They signed two corners this off-season.  Three if you count bringing Tell back. They did sign guys there.  If there were more guys worth signing in their price range I am sure they would sign them too.

Dabo gets a free year of not counting against the player limit if he's on the practice squad, but I think he counts against the 53 if we activate him.  I doubt we'll activate him unless he either REALLY impresses or we get hit hard with injuries at the position.  Keeping him as a free practice squad player (that other teams can't touch) allows us to carry another player somewhere.  If you're counting on us having six CBs in the final 53, plan on Dabo not being one of them. 

Fair question. 

Gilmore missed 16 games the past two years, including 11 last year. Most of that was due to the quad injury, but after the trade to CAR, his reps were managed. He only started 3 games, but in the third game starting, he suffered a groin injury and left the game...and then missed the final two games. If he goes down, the CB room looks much weaker.

Rodgers is a promising player, but he has only started one game.

Facyson was pretty much a depth CB until last season, where he put up a 51 PFF grade in 9 starts.

Kenny is a good nickel CB, but hopefully they don't put him in man coverage too often in Bradley's scheme.

After that, it's a lot of unknown. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a depth signing at some point.

20 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Dabo gets a free year of not counting against the player limit if he's on the practice squad, but I think he counts against the 53 if we activate him.  I doubt we'll activate him unless he either REALLY impresses or we get hit hard with injuries at the position.  Keeping him as a free practice squad player (that other teams can't touch) allows us to carry another player somewhere.  If you're counting on us having six CBs in the final 53, plan on Dabo not being one of them. 

He was also working at S in rookie camp, from what I heard. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Fair question. 

Gilmore missed 16 games the past two years, including 11 last year. Most of that was due to the quad injury, but after the trade to CAR, his reps were managed. He only started 3 games, but in the third game starting, he suffered a groin injury and left the game...and then missed the final two games. If he goes down, the CB room looks much weaker.

Rodgers is a promising player, but he has only started one game.

Facyson was pretty much a depth CB until last season, where he put up a 51 PFF grade in 9 starts.

Kenny is a good nickel CB, but hopefully they don't put him in man coverage too often in Bradley's scheme.

After that, it's a lot of unknown. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a depth signing at some point. 

I would've loved to seen Bradberry here but we will be ok brother.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would've loved to seen Bradberry here but we will be ok brother.

Bradberry was probably a bit above what they are looking for. But I can't imagine they don't pick up at least one vet CB.

18 hours ago, mirobi48 said:

We signed Brandon Facsyon and Stephan Gilmore which are "starters" on the boundaries.

We still have Moore II as the Nickel.

We developed Rodgers into a quality depth/starter who played 48% of the defensive snaps last year.

Marvell Tell was developing nicely as a boundary corner prior to the COVID season and then sat on the practice squad all year last year and was identified by the DC as someone he wanted re-signed early in the off-season. No reason to think that he can't regain that momentum this year.

Chesley, Myres and Wilcox all spent the season (or most of of it) and off-season with the Colts learning the NFL.

They signed Tony Brown that has played A LOT of Special Teams and Nickel Back in the NFL for the Bengals (whose D was not half bad.

Then they drafted Rodney Thomas II who is a multi-talented DB that has played LB, CB and S.

Then they were awarded Marcel Dabo from the European League who is uber talented as well. Pun intended.

With the top 4 clearly established and several very talented young DB's behind them, why would we bring in 'depth' corners? Sometimes you gotta let the young guys play to see what they got!

On 5/24/2022 at 6:27 PM, mirobi48 said:

Cause they are happy with the current depth?  Pretty easy answer....

On 5/24/2022 at 6:44 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Rodgers was really good last year, Moore is the one I’m concerned about don’t let the probowl (fan fest) fool you he has declined gradually  ever year since 2019 

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

We always sign a depth CB or two. Remember TJ Carrie? Now Facyson.

There's also depth already on the roster in the young guys. We don't see them much but they're in the building working out and practising.

I just look at the net. We're down Rhodes, Carrie, and Rock who were all regular contributors. Carrie not so much last season due to injury, but he was signed with the expectation to be in the rotation. We picked up Gilmore and Facyson. We're net -1. Once could argue Rodgers has developed into the rotation, but still likely lacking one guy. I'd say we grab someone when cut downs start to happen. And if the Kenny situation escalates, net -2 perhaps. I think Rodgers would fine at NB though if that were to happen. It would still create a hole in the rotation though. 

On 5/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, EastStreet said:

I just look at the net. We're down Rhodes, Carrie, and Rock who were all regular contributors. Carrie not so much last season due to injury, but he was signed with the expectation to be in the rotation. We picked up Gilmore and Facyson. We're net -1. Once could argue Rodgers has developed into the rotation, but still likely lacking one guy. I'd say we grab someone when cut downs start to happen. And if the Kenny situation escalates, net -2 perhaps. I think Rodgers would fine at NB though if that were to happen. It would still create a hole in the rotation though. 

That's fair.

Why's everyone sleeping on Marvell Tell though? I feel like I've missed something because he's never mentioned in these conversations. Could he not he compete for a rotational role this year?

31 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

That's fair.

Why's everyone sleeping on Marvell Tell though? I feel like I've missed something because he's never mentioned in these conversations. Could he not he compete for a rotational role this year?

Tell's ship has likely sailed. 

The year off hurt him IMO, but not sure he was ever going to succeed converting positions in the first place. 

I still hope he finds his groove, but his time is running out. Perhaps a new DC/scheme gives him a second wind. Perhaps he gets a look at both FS and CB. IMO, he's be a better C3 FS than CB. 

On 5/28/2022 at 11:13 AM, EastStreet said:

I REMEMBER that we drafted a guy with excellent potential to make the final cut.

Archived