Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TUNE IN: Chris Ballard and Frank Reich at 2022 NFL Combine

compuls1v3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IIRC, Campbell was drafted to be a slot WR.  But I don't know if that was the case last season.

I think they were saying they thought Campbell can be more than a slot when they drafted him. They were saying they were surprised how good of a route runner he was at the combine and pro day or something of the sort and they thought he could line up at multiple positions on the field. 

But he's been injured for so long I don't even know if we can draw any sort of conclusions about what he can and cannot do in reality in the league. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't want him to add competition to Campbell. I want him to add a surefire starter for whom there is no doubt will take Campbell's spot, who has been injured throughout his whole career with us. Nothing against Campbell but when I hear we will add competition to Campbell, I hear "we will add someone who might be healthy for the team". Competition for Campbell is incredibly low bar. 

He was making the point that they won’t go in relying on Campbell. If he stays healthy it’s a bonus.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, he did... but he still managed to turn it into a "you have to block" thing. You always need more of everything. Do you need more pass-rush? Yes. Do you need more coverage - yes. Do you need better kicking game - yes... he's never going to say he needs less of anything. But you can hear and see him emphasize what he believes in. When he's asked about something and turns the answer into a completely different direction, you know what he's thinking... 

I guess we will see what happens this off-season. I wouldn't expect some big changes. Maybe he drafts a WR to compete with Campbell in the 3d round or something. Not that I mind it... I'd welcome it... but I don't expect any big FA signings at WR for example. 

I didn't take it that way at all.   He said can we count on him to be the #2 or the #3 right away? No. We will add competition to that position.   Meaning IMO if Paris can win the job he will.  If not he'll move down the chain.

My guess is the new WR will come in the draft if the value is there not matter what round,   and or  later on FA.  But not the initial start where the prices are too high.

The only big move I can see as a possibility in FA   is a LT. And of course a QB. 

All JMO 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't want him to add competition to Campbell. I want him to add a surefire starter for whom there is no doubt will take Campbell's spot, who has been injured throughout his whole career with us. Nothing against Campbell but when I hear we will add competition to Campbell, I hear "we will add someone who might be healthy for the team". Competition for Campbell is incredibly low bar. 

We've heard Ballard say 'we're okay at WR, it's not a high priority for us' in so many words. This was different.

Do you really have to chart a path if Wentz is the QB considering the question was specifically about QB? He mentioned 10 days a few times. They know they’re on the clock to move on from him. He said criticism was fair and at one point named some of it. 

He said they need to be more dynamic in the WR room and add competition. Just because he said nice things about prospective free-agents it doesn’t mean he’s bringing back both Pascal and TY. He’s not going to trash those guys. One, he appreciates what they’ve done for the organization.  Two, they like getting comp picks for players who leave. 

His priority will always be:

1. QB

2.Lines

3 WR/TE

it doesn’t mean he isn’t upgrading WR/TE. 

Sounds like more of the same nothing really new here.  I am sure this will spurn another round of bashing Wentz articles.   I think they are trying to pull a big deal like Stafford that includes Wentz it will be interesting to see what happens if that doesn't get done and if they really release him on 3/11 (10 days).  

43 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

42 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard said he isn’t there yet on committing to Wentz yet.

40 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How can the available QB not be part of the decision. That is a dumb answer.

Well well this sure doesn’t bode well for Wentz staying. And if he does, it’s only cause there’s no upgrade available.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

We've heard Ballard say 'we're okay at WR, it's not a high priority for us' in so many words. This was different.

Like I said earlier... we will see. He might be in a tough situation trying to convince WRs or TEs to come to Indy too. No good weapon wants to go to a team quarterbacked by Wentz or with complete uncertainty at QB. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Well well this sure doesn’t bode well for Wentz staying. And if he does, it’s only cause there’s no upgrade available.

Yeah, there was an opportunity to say 'we believe in Wentz and he'll be our QB this year,' even without saying it directly. Ballard instead said 'we're still deciding, and we're not all on the same page.' He did leave the door open, but not much.

Last week, I would have said there's an 10% chance Wentz is back. Because of Ballard's comments about 'is the criticism fair, and how do you respond to it,' I think that 10% holds.

2 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

Sounds like more of the same nothing really new here.  I am sure this will spurn another round of bashing Wentz articles.   I think they are trying to pull a big deal like Stafford that includes Wentz it will be interesting to see what happens if that doesn't get done and if they really release him on 3/11 (10 days).  

I wouldn’t get married to that 10 days comment.   They’ve got more time to work things out either way.   The 10 days seems roughly where they will sit down and talk about the offers they’ve received and the options that they have.   It could still take more time to hash things out with the player (restructure) or with another team (trade).  

All I’m saying is that nothing is set in stone from today. 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Pretty telling that Ballard the criticism Wentz has received “is fair.” Might explain why they have been quiet while it was happening. 

He said criticism.   Meaning in general.   He was talking about criticism of himself in the media as well.   It wasn't carson specific 

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard already said he has a place on the team if he wants to keep playing. Cox will be the one not brought back if they decide to upgrade.

Perhaps…but I can’t imagine for $6.2M. For that amount, they could get a younger TE with upside.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t get married to that 10 days comment.   They’ve got more time to work things out either way.   The 10 days seems roughly where they will sit down and talk about the offers they’ve received and the options that they have.   It could still take more time to hash things out with the player (restructure) or with another team (trade).  

Yup I think the only real deadline is the March 18th deadline.  I can't imagine they pay him that money and then release him.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

First day of the league year is 3/16, roster bonus and 2022 salary is guaranteed on 3/18. That's a hard deadline for releasing him. Deadline for trading him is a little softer, but I would assume they'd want to have a clear path in front of them before free agency.

This is pure conjecture, but I kinda think Ballard and Irsay are out on Wentz, and Reich is the one wanting him to stay. 

But I'm guessing they are looking around for other solutions, and if they can't find the right deal before the 18th, Wentz stays 

Again, idk what I'm talking about - just reading between the lines. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, there was an opportunity to say 'we believe in Wentz and he'll be our QB this year,' even without saying it directly. Ballard instead said 'we're still deciding, and we're not all on the same page.' He did leave the door open, but not much.

Last week, I would have said there's an 10% chance Wentz is back. Because of Ballard's comments about 'is the criticism fair, and how do you respond to it,' I think that 10% holds.

Even team like Arizona with the no. 1 pick in the draft with Kyler Murray there for them to pick were like "Rosen is our QB" mere month or two before they selecting Murray and trading Rosen... 

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He said criticism.   Meaning in general.   He was talking about criticism of himself in the media as well.   It wasn't carson specific 

I am not listening to it, just reading quotes and transcripts on Twitter, but it sure sounds like this part was Carson specific:

“And, look, I’m not saying all of your (criticism) — most of its pretty fair, and it’ll be interesting how HE grows from this. I think HE will.”

Just now, shasta519 said:

I am not listening to it, just reading quotes and transcripts on Twitter, but it sure sounds like this part was Carson specific:

“And, look, I’m not saying all of your — most of its pretty fair, and it’ll be interesting how HE grows from this. I think HE will.”

I don't think those 2 sentences were back to back.   I'll have to listen again

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think those 2 sentences were back to back.   I'll have to listen again

I just pulled it from a screenshot of a larger transcript where Ballard talked about his meeting with Wentz and criticism and growing from it. Those sentences were the last part.

I honestly didn't hear anything new concerning Wentz. Imo, the only QB that might make sense is Carr just because McDaniels is pretty unpredictable and he has traded Cutler in the past. I still think Wentz will still be here though

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

"at the end of the day you have to block"... when talking about weapons. IMO it's crystal clear he doesn't think there is a problem with the receiving weapons. :dunno:

Crystal clear?...lol. IMO it's crystal clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

17 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

“And, look, I’m not saying all of your (criticism) — most of its pretty fair, and it’ll be interesting how HE grows from this. I think HE will.”

I was listening and I could be mistaken, but I thought it was Wentz specific.

That part perked my ears up the most. Especially with the “make the layups” quote still fresh in mind.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was listening and, I could be mistaken, but I thought it was Wentz specific.

That part perked my ears up the most. Especially with the “make the layups” quote still fresh in mind.

You are correct, it was Carson specific. Pretty much the entire first half of the interview was about Carson. 

My thoughts: 

I don’t mind Ballard saying that the criticism is fair. It either lights a fire under Carson or it doesn’t. Honestly, after watching Hard Knocks this year, Carson doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to me to put the blame on others. I remember clips of him running off the field after a bonehead play telling Frank something along the lines of “my bad”, but keep giving me the ball. 

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He says stuff like this, but has he ever really figured it out?

Figured what out?

His record in his 4 years is 37-28.    When viewed with the circumstances we've dealt with,  that's not bad.

What specifically are you asking about figuring it out?

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I like to hear that.

I also like him acknowledging that the whole “if we made a play here and there we’d be 12-5.” You see that kind of statement around here a lot, but like he said, that’s not really looking at it objectively.

Archived