Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TUNE IN: Chris Ballard and Frank Reich at 2022 NFL Combine

compuls1v3

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah they were talking about QB's last night on that station while I was at work. Where certain QB's could make good runs in the playoffs if they were in certain spots. Ryan is actually only 36, does turn 37 in May. There was a caller in Pittsburgh that said Wentz would fit good in Pitt. Not sure about that but they have nothing to offer us. The talk was Rodgers will probably stay in GB and Wilson was 50/50 on staying with Seattle.

I think Wentz would be a good fit in Pitts. his game reminds me of Big Ben so it seems to be a plug and play and they wouldn't have to change to much of what they do on offense.  So that makes sense.  

Ryan here makes sense here also if they need better leadership then it would be smart to go with a VET like Ryan.  

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Restructuring is the easy part.  He gets a lot of money now upfront.  You extend him a few years but the impact on the cap is smaller in the future years.  He could actually choose to retire if he gets a SB.

I would personally like him being here. He is still pretty good, he just plays on a bad team. 

2 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

I think Wentz would be a good fit in Pitts. his game reminds me of Big Ben so it seems to be a plug and play and they wouldn't have to change to much of what they do on offense.  So that makes sense.  

Ryan here makes sense here also if they need better leadership then it would be smart to go with a VET like Ryan.  

Yeah the caller from Pitt said Tomlin would make Wentz good (knock against Reich i guess lol)and they do need a QB badly. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm good with staying with Wentz for one more year if that's our best option. I'm good with making upgrades to the roster, BUT I would upgrade the roster IF and ONLY IF that improvement projects to span over a longer period of time(young players who can be part of the team past this year or two) and if that improvement doesn't impede our ability to make a move for a QB next year. No giving up of premier future assets for any reason other than acquiring our QB of the future. 

This is back to my initial point: the idea that 'there is no plan' strikes me as an overreaction. You have three guys with different viewpoints, working through the potential options. 

I think they probably decided in January to do the grunt work, and make their decision before Wentz's money deadline in mid March. Ballard said 'all the hay is not in the barn,' and it probably won't be until those three guys get in a room together and reach their collective conclusion. 

Along the way, I think the Mort report might have undermined the way the intended to present things publicly. Doesn't mean they didn't have a strategy for proceeding.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don’t know, I got the impression Ballard was withholding on the leadership thing in the Dakich interview. “He’s fine, there’s nothing major there” when talking about if there’s anything wrong with his leadership. Not a ringing endorsement to me.

And if you’re even remotely trying to trade Wentz, the worst thing you could do is say he’s not a good leader. 

You are probably right on this. If you are looking to trade your QB you have to be very guarded with any criticism of him as that would diminish your trade leverage.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah they were talking about QB's last night on that station while I was at work. Where certain QB's could make good runs in the playoffs if they were in certain spots. Ryan is actually only 36, does turn 37 in May. There was a caller in Pittsburgh that said Wentz would fit good in Pitt. Not sure about that but they have nothing to offer us. The talk was Rodgers will probably stay in GB and Wilson was 50/50 on staying with Seattle.

Florio has an article today saying the Seahawks are open to offers for Wilson. He said to disregard Carrolls comments on Wilson.  He thinks this year would be the better year to move him with two years remaining on his contract.  Next year he would have to be extended.  He believes they are ready to start their rebuild.  Teams should be calling them now.  This is good news for the Colts.  I would think the Colts would have started negotiations by now.  Wilson is who Irsay wants.  I’m not worried about the No trade clause.  I think he’s smart enough to know we are a great fit for him.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is back to my initial point: the idea that 'there is no plan' strikes me as an overreaction. You have three guys with different viewpoints, working through the potential options. 

I think they probably decided in January to do the grunt work, and make their decision before Wentz's money deadline in mid March. Ballard said 'all the hay is not in the barn,' and it probably won't be until those three guys get in a room together and reach their collective conclusion. 

Along the way, I think the Mort report might have undermined the way the intended to present things publicly. Doesn't mean they didn't have a strategy for proceeding.

So what you are saying is... there is no plan ... YET? 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Florio has an article today saying the Seahawks are open to offers for Wilson. He said to disregard Carrolls comments on Wilson.  He thinks this year would be the better year to move him with two years remaining on his contract.  Next year he would have to be extended.  He believes they are ready to start their rebuild.  Teams should be calling them now.  This is good news for the Colts.  I would think the Colts would have started negotiations by now.  Wilson is who Irsay wants.  I’m not worried about the No trade clause.  I think he’s smart enough to know we are a great fit for him.

If we got Wilson we would be SB contenders. I think with Ryan we could be as well but Wilson is much younger. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Link?

22 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Stephen holder just admitted someone in the organization told him there is no plan.

That's because the plan was for Wentz to be the long term guy but now it seems there's massive question marks around that. I don't think it's surprising that people wouldn't know what to do right now. There's likely division within the decision-makers. 

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

More like the plan was to evaluate and weigh option, then decide in mid March.

I'm sorry but that's a cop out. When we are saying "there is no plan" we mean there is no plan for what to do with the QB position at this point. Evaluating and weighing options is NOT a plan. Plus they've had 2 months now to do that.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but that's a cop out. When we are saying "there is no plan" we mean there is no plan for what to do with the QB position at this point. Evaluating and weighing options is NOT a plan. Plus they've had 2 months now to do that. 

If "plan" only can apply to some grand master plan to acquire the most sensational QB available this offseason, then sure.

In reality, the plan, apparently, was to evaluate, weigh out, and decide in mid March. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If "plan" only can apply to some grand master plan to acquire the most sensational QB available this offseason, then sure.

In reality, the plan, apparently, was to evaluate, weigh out, and decide in mid March. 

We are now officially at a time where you might be missing on opportunities for not having a plan. We are past the point when the Rams traded for Stafford and we traded for Wentz last year. Any moment we can witness a Rodgers or Wilson trade... while we are still planning to evaluate and weigh in options... That's not serious. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

We are now officially at a time where you might be missing on opportunities for not having a plan. We are past the point when the Rams traded for Stafford and we traded for Wentz last year. Any moment we can witness a Rodgers or Wilson trade... while we are still planning to evaluate and weigh in options... That's not serious. 

And realistically speaking, if there was a real chance to acquire one of those two guys, the decision makers would get together and consider it. But realistically speaking, neither of those two guys is getting traded. Derek Carr isn't on the market. We don't want Matt Ryan. There are no other deals that we've missed out on, that we're aware of.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

And realistically speaking, if there was a real chance to acquire one of those two guys, the decision makers would get together and consider it. But realistically speaking, neither of those two guys is getting traded. Derek Carr isn't on the market. We don't want Matt Ryan. There are no other deals that we've missed out on, that we're aware of.

"We don't Matt Ryan", why just asking? He is better than Carson.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the only knock again Ryan is contract and age.  If we did trade Carson to ATL for Matt Ryan we have to be committed to drafting a QB in the 1st round in 2023 no matter the success of the team.  

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's a 37 year old statue with no explosive traits who doesn't push his team over the top. He's due $52m over the next two years, and would likely cost us draft compensation to acquire him. This is not the way.

I will say, he's efficient, cerebral, and doesn't miss games.

Realistically speaking, unless someone makes a major offer for him, the Falcons probably won't trade him. His dead cap hit is $40.5m.

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just my take.   maybe the "They don't have a plan" quote is from someone not in the know.    Perhaps this is just all once again rumors and the big 3 do know what they are going to do, they just don't have all the details worked out and they aren't saying anything until they have to.  Not all the hay is in the barn.  Could mean we dont have the deal finalized 

Maybe it's just me but I dont see getting all worked up on the rumor crap that's floating around.  Because most of these are really just true floaters and need a double flush

2 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I searched.  Never saw anything but rumors 

John Schneider, their GM, said this afternoon that he is fielding calls on Wilson.  He said they have no intention of trading Wilson but that they are fielding calls.  That’s classic GM speak for we don’t intend to trade him but if you make me an offer I can’t refuse then well you know…………..we have a deal.  

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Just my take.   maybe the "They don't have a plan" quote is from someone not in the know.    Perhaps this is just all once again rumors and the big 3 do know what they are going to do, they just don't have all the details worked out and they aren't saying anything until they have to.  Not all the hay is in the barn.  Could mean we dont have the deal finalized 

Maybe it's just me but I dont see getting all worked up on the rumor crap that's floating around.  Because most of these are really just true floaters and need a double flush

Unless someone who Stephen holder trusts lied to him I trust holders sources.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

He's a 37 year old statue with no explosive traits who doesn't push his team over the top. He's due $52m over the next two years, and would likely cost us draft compensation to acquire him. This is not the way.

I will say, he's efficient, cerebral, and doesn't miss games.

Realistically speaking, unless someone makes a major offer for him, the Falcons probably won't trade him. His dead cap hit is $40.5m.

I gave you a LIKE but he is still a nice upgrade. There are creative ways to work around the Salary Cap. Rivers was a statue and he was good here - put up good numbers being smart. We had Buffalo beat and went 11-5, that was when Taylor was just good, he is great now.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a LIKE but he is still a nice upgrade. There are creative ways to work around the Salary Cap. Rivers was a statue and he was good here - put up good numbers being smart. We had Buffalo beat and went 11-5, that was when Taylor was just good, he is great now.

Rivers was a free agent.   Ryan isn't.    For those reasons I'm out.   

Shark tank style

I apologize if I missed this, but did any reporters ask Reich or Ballard at the combine if they had received any calls/interest about trading Carson Wentz? I saw reporters ask this to the coaches and management of the Packers, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Dolphins but not the Colts.

22 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I apologize if I missed this, but did any reporters ask Reich or Ballard at the combine if they had received any calls/interest about trading Carson Wentz? I saw reporters ask this to the coaches and management of the Packers, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Dolphins but not the Colts.

Never heard it asked.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:36 AM, DougDew said:

Right.  So when Ballard said that they are looking for more competition for Parris, I wonder if they mean Slot, Z, or hybrid...or it doesn't matter, just not an X.

We set at starter for X (unless they want to move Pitt to slot, which I doubt), and we're deep at depth if you believe there's potential in Strachan and Patmon. So really all about Z/slot. 

And Zs and slots, depending on the scheme, can be similar, interchangeable, or very different. Most any Z can play slot if asked. Not any slot can play Z. Of course that all assumes a typical WR scheme. And we haven't use personnel in a "typical" fashion always the last 4 years.

But for Campbell specifically, we know he was drafted to start inside and work his way outside. Tyreek Hill followed that same path (started at slot, moved to Z), and still can play both. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, Fluke_33 said:

You can turn on closed caption on the video.  most of the questions, not all, are written out.  It isn't perfect and i have to pause the video to read it but it works.

Side note:  if you are a young parent using CC while the babes are sleeping is a gold mine.  now that i'm old i have gotten used to it and watch almost all shows and movies with the cc on.

Thanks Fluke. I'll try the CC next time. 

Not really worried about volume, I normally have my laptop or tablet BT connected to my Echo or HK Receiver. 

Archived